Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woden
May 6, 2006
Having augs scale as you level would be cool, they'd still get cash in from people tweaking their lowbie TR/ETR items but I don't have any idea how many jeweller sets they sell. They'd also probably have to make the named augs scale a lot lower but that'd be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

DemonMage posted:

Here's a thread with some Sorcerer build options.

Someone else was using this variant of the Warforged FvS version linked in that thread above.

We've also got our melee build. Which isn't bad to get through a Sorc life, and it's pretty strong, but I'm not sure I'd specifically recommend it.

If you're gonna do a Warforged version of any kind of Sorc, it's pretty helpful to have Bladeforged, since they're basically just flat out better for Sorcerers.

Well I want to do 3 sorc lives so doing all 3 sounds like a good idea.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 31, 2014

Woden
May 6, 2006

quote:

Assumptions
Damage Mod: 115
Crit Mod: +2 (Overwhelming Crit + Master Earth Stance)
Crit Threat +2 (Keen Edge)
[w]: +1.5 A Dance of Flowers)
Seeker: +10

Epic Sword of Shadows
Average Damage: 319.00

Wyrm-Wrought Falchion: First Degree Burns, Dragons Edge, Burning Emptiness
Avarage Damage: 367.55

Wyrm-Wrought Greatsword: First Degree Burns, Dragons Edge, Burning Emptiness
Average Damage: 339.55

Wyrm-Wrought Greataxe: First Degree Burns, Dragons Edge, Burning Emptiness
Average Damage: 326.58

ESoS beats Wyrm-Wrought Flachion at
1.95x + 94.75 > 1.55x + 189.295
0.40x > 94.545
x > 236 dmg mod

ESoS beats Wyrm-Wrought Greatsword at
X > 156 dmg mod

ESoS beats Wyrm-Wrought Greataxe at
X > 133 dmg mod
So better than ESoS for mobs not immune/resistant to fire damage as long as you aren't blitzing, and a lot better vs dragons not immune to fire. So unless something has changed it's basically a slightly better Epic Xuum.

Ensis
Nov 13, 2003
On the banks of the Red Cedar...

Woden posted:

So better than ESoS for mobs not immune/resistant to fire damage as long as you aren't blitzing, and a lot better vs dragons not immune to fire. So unless something has changed it's basically a slightly better Epic Xuum.

The new crafting system needs a returning Shuirken option, else it will be a huge let down.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

As a freemium player (got free premium status from having spent money on LOTRO, apparently), if I was going to buy ~1000 TP, what would be the things I should spend it on to get the most enjoyment from the game?

Woden
May 6, 2006
Are you just starting out or have you leveled up a character a bit? 1k TP wont go all that far, but you do get more TP for earning favor from quests. I'd suggest just grabbing adventure packs when they're on sale and if you find you like the game enough grabbing the expansions and Epic Destinies. Some packs are of course better than others though.

Ensis posted:

The new crafting system needs a returning Shuirken option, else it will be a huge let down.
Having what, 4 out of the last 5 raids only drop weapons is the biggest letdown.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Just spend the money you would have spent on TP on a one-month subscription, since it unlocks basically everything and you can get a feel for if you want to spend more funbux later.

Woden
May 6, 2006

quote:

Originally Posted by Vargouille
Some things we're considering:

Change Exalted Angel towards more Offensive Casting, particularly for DC casting and Light spell damage.
Change Unyielding Sentinel towards more Tanking & Support, including being the best healing Destiny in the Divine Sphere.
Aim Divine Crusader as a primarily offensive melee destiny, but would likely retain most of its current abilities, including some area support and Fire spell damage.
Moving existing melee abilities out of Exalted Angel and into Divine Crusader (with possibility of relatively minor modifications along the way, such as removing the Righteous Fervor requirement from Strike Down and balancing appropriately... which could be either up or down).
Moving Renewal into Unyielding Sentinel. Look into adding some other support/healing abilities to Unyielding Sentinel.
Move some offensive casting from Divine Crusader into Exalted Angel, and add some new abilities to replace the missing ones.
Healing would still be available to some extent to all Divine Destinies.
Re-examining the Exalted Angel requirements for Righteous Fervor and Endless Ardor in any case.
Continuing to examine existing Unyielding Sentinel abilities.

We're happy to hear continued feedback. These changes can meaningfully alter how some existing characters function, which we don't like to do lightly.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah I saw that, looking forward to the specific changes. Having a defined focus for destinies is a good thing as long as they don't compromise the core of the "parent" class. Like someone in any of the Divine destinies should be able to get core healing (renew) without too much trouble. All three should let renew be castable on yourself or even just flat out provide Renew.

Having lots of options is good, but it should come in the form of new destinies instead of watered down mish mash ones. Magister also suffers from this heavily.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Only thing I'm wary of is US, if they get renew then it'd be pretty easy to have an unkillable tank with horrible DPS and no real way to get better. No way Turbine would up the DPS of a nigh invincible toon to be useful, although if they moved over the aura stuff from DA it could be pretty fun even with weak damage output.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah, I suppose, I mean with Cocoon a 2h paladin in a DPS destiny is already almost unkillable under normal circumstances. Renew you don't even have to worry about the stupid shield breaking and your healing going away (though it also doesn't heal instantly). Since Paladin is the "parent" class of Sentinel, and due to possible issues like that, I could see limiting it to the other two divines as being acceptable. Being melee or being caster focused shouldn't compromise your healing though at least. Tank... probably already have enough healing and needing someone else to prop you up occasionally in the hardest of EEs is pretty reasonable I suppose.

Especially since with the fixing of the in-quest zoning killing counters, and them just making Sentinels Moment usable every few minutes without building charges, it's already getting a huge boost. And not needing stances for some of the weapon buffs.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
Is the Order of the ten bux guild still active?
Is the channel still /joinchannel goons neckbeards ?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

It's not super active, but there's still people playing most every day. And yes the channel is the same, if you can't find someone on you can post a character name here for a guild invite to be mailed to you.

I'm sad we finally lost Haggis it looks like, I don't know if it's just being too busy with school or if he finally got tired of the game, he was always around and he's a cool guy =-(

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Is it wrong that every time I try to play Neverwinter Online I end up wanting to play this game?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Not really, NWO has some cool things about it, but it's really shallow a lot of the times. It also had a terrible, terrible, launch which just leaves a lingering bad impression even if they've managed to improve massively (which doesn't seem the case from glancing at the thread a little while ago). It's also got some really ridiculous cash grab bullshit in it. I'm down for paying for new content and cosmetic stuff, but last I heard/saw NWO has like... 4 outfits if that for free.

So shallow character development, combined with stomach turning cash grabs, combined with boring cosmetics, it's hard to endure just for some gameplay that is sometimes fun.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Haunted Halls and Thunderholme landscape items preview.

quote:

Magestar
Trinket
Magestar Absorption: This effect absorbs harmful spells targeted at the wearer and heals the wearer by 20d10+200 Hit Points
5 charges
recharge 5/rest
Exclusive
Upgrade:
10 charges
green augment slot

Necklace of Mystic Eidolons
Necklace
Eidolon Summons: On Being Damaged: Summons a Shadow Puppeteer for 30 seconds and can be created once every 120 seconds.
Ghostly
Deathblock
+1 Exceptional Con
+1 Exceptional Dex
Green augment slot
Upgrade:
Lower cooldown to 80 seconds
+2 Exceptional Con
+2 Exceptional Dex

So far they're all pretty cool like that. Downside is that everything is going to be ML28 except for the non upgraded raid weapons.

quote:

Yup, ML 28 is the plan.

However, I can't recall how it appeared in the last Lamannia drop, but the "dwarven forge" system in Thunderholme will step up from ML 22 (tier zero), in twos, to ML 28 for the third tier.

That's a real shame, and they really need to stop doing that.

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!

DemonMage posted:

It's not super active, but there's still people playing most every day. And yes the channel is the same, if you can't find someone on you can post a character name here for a guild invite to be mailed to you.

I'm sad we finally lost Haggis it looks like, I don't know if it's just being too busy with school or if he finally got tired of the game, he was always around and he's a cool guy =-(

I'll be back at some point soonish. My log in portal got borked and rather than downloading a new one I've just been playing Neverwinter since it actually works. So, as soon as my internet stays up long enough to actually re-download the game I'll be back.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

quote:

Lantern Ring
Ring
+144 Equipment Bonus to Light and Alignment Spell Power
+1 Insightful WIS
5% Chance On Harmful Spellcast: Do an additional 4d6 Light damage.
Colorless augment
Upgrade:
5% Chance On Harmful Spellcast: Do an additional 6d6 Light damage.
+18% Radiance Lore
Green Augment Slot
Quick, someone make a green lantern build.

Woden
May 6, 2006
So that ring has 5/10 spell absorption charges and will cast a heal on getting those hits?

They all seem kind of weak for ML 28 items except maybe the trinket or divine ring. I already have +11 stat items with something decent for the other ability like +10 dodge on ML 28 items, maybe I'm missing something though.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The trinket will heal you everytime it absorbs something yeah. The cool thing about the items is all the procs and stuff, and the stats aren't bad. You can maybe get lucky with something that's better, and they could maybe be buffed, but it's mostly the extra effects they all have that is actually fun.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Not to forget, returning throwing flask. I like how they seem to have focused on making completely different loot, both by effects and types.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Looking at them again I guess only 3-4 of them are kinda terrible and the rest should find a niche, probably on par or better than most updates.

Oh and I forgot to say I'm really glad they seem to be shitcanning the whole n/h/e system, hopefully they're more like Rusted Blades opts than Avithoul optionals though. Always have to try and solo Avithoul rings but could usually sway people to hit the Rusted Blades optional.

quote:

Purple Dragon Shield
Tower Shield
+ 8 Enhancement Bonus
+10 CHA
+ 10 CON
While blocking: 20% energy absorption
20% chance to shield bash while attacking
Sovereign Vorpal
Upgrade:
Purple augment slot
+8 Orb bonus
That's pretty rad, haven't played a tank in forever but getting an orb bonus is pretty cool.

Woden
May 6, 2006
From the shadow dragon raid:

Spike guard works on the wearer ATM, not sure if WAI.

Ensis
Nov 13, 2003

Woden posted:

Spike guard works on the wearer ATM, not sure if WAI.

Hahaha, that's amazing. While I doubt that it is working as intended, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets released in its current form seeing as how that's Turbine's MO. That's a potential 700 damage a wearer can take at any given time, instant hilarity.

Also, 'Decrease all threat increased by 30%'? I assume English is not Turbine's first language.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Holy crap, I need to get around to looking at the test server apparently.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 9, 2014

Woden
May 6, 2006
More raid goodies

quote:

Shadowscale Armor
Armor
(Item not found but forged from shadow dragon scales. Costs for base version and upgrade roughly equivalent to first & second tier of Thunderholme forged weapons)

+11 enhancement bonus
Shade Phase - clicky 20 seconds, 3 uses
Deathblock
130% fortification
Blue augment slot
Ghostly
By Armor type:
- Robe: +3 Profane bonus to Concentration, +1 Profane bonus to Spell DCs, +1 Profane bonus to tactics DCs
- Light: 2d6 sneak attack damage, +1 Profane bonus to Reflex Saving Throws
- Medium: +3% Profane bonus to Doublestrike
- Heavy: 30 DR/Epic, 60 DR/Epic while below 75% health
- Docent: 10% Profane bonus to Repair amp

Upgrade:
Green augment slot
Negative energy guard on missed (10d6)

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Again, regardless of how good or bad these items are, I'm really glad they're experimenting with making them interesting. The docent one seems pretty lovely compared to the rest of the effects on the armor though.

I am still annoyed with the level thing also.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Agreed, a whopping 10% repair amp for endgame loot. Should be more like 50% repair amp and 20% heal amp.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Mildly good news on the level front, Haunted Halls items will be level 26, Thunderholme explorer items will be 27.

quote:

There is, of course, a delicate between keeping the treasure from lower-CR dungeons worth seeking and making near-cap stuff generally useful. We think this decision might hit that sweet spot. Note that with items that upgrade here, the upgrade does not change the CR.

:rolleyes:

quote:

2. The Necklace of Mystic Eidolons will summon a shadow that will cast Unholy Blight and Hold Monster
The goal is that it should some nice accessory crowd control for you... even (or especially) if you're not a CC build.

3. The Deathwyrm Cloak reduces Neg Level time by 25% currently
For those who say they just use Restoration - do you solo? Do you just buy Restorations?

Answer to number three is a resounding yes. If you're past level 20 and don't have a way to deal with negative levels reliably, you're doing it wrong. I appreciate the thought behind it, but by level 27 you should be getting items that make you immune to annoying debuffs, not make them go away slightly faster.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I really wish they'd stop swapping out the dev in charge of loot, from reading Dr. Os posts it seems like he's still struggling to understand things anyone who's played the game for a while already knows. Poor Doc had to clean up after FoS and also do the last expansions loot with a little help from FoS IIRC, that's a serious trial by fire.

Oh well, at least we're apparently seeing things earlier and this new person can get new effects created rather than recycle old stuff. Dr. seems ok from his posts on the forums and pretty open like that dude in charge before FoS whose name I forget, no idea what happened to him but he made the Red Fens stuff which was mostly great and had plans to re do other old epic items before getting moved/fired/whatever.

Does anyone here have good knowledge about melee druids? I ask because animal forms seem incredibly complex with their interactions with different abilities and are so alien that I don't really know how to build for it.

Monks seem like are good match for them and I believe that TWF stacks with natural fighting so I'll probably go at least 9 druid and some monk. What about all those +[w] monk abilities, which stack and which don't, and under what circumstances do they stack? I figured since animal form crit profile supersedes your equipment that Celestia main(dunno what offhand would be) would probably be the go to weapon, take some Ninja stuff to make them Ki weapons but what about Ninja poisons, do they work and if so how? Does PL: Monk up the die from D10 in wolf to D12 or do nothing? Would I be better off with wraps? What about staves, can I use all those funky Acrobat/HM goodies like extra doublestrike while in animal form and does the extra attacks from TWF only work while having two weapon equipped?

Druids are a bizzaro world to me, so any help appreciated.

Woden fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 11, 2014

Ensis
Nov 13, 2003

quote:

2. The Necklace of Mystic Eidolons will summon a shadow that will cast Unholy Blight and Hold Monster. The goal is that it should some nice accessory crowd control for you... even (or especially) if you're not a CC build..

Well that's nice and all, but unless the summon is strong enough to not die after taking a hit in Epic Elite AND has the DC to successfully hold monsters in Epic Elite, it's all sizzle and no steak.

But, of course, it won't be capable to meet either of these benchmarks as summons in DDO are forever relegated to somewhere between useless and non-combat pet. Except for Light Archons in Rainbow in the Dark, of course.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ensis posted:

Well that's nice and all, but unless the summon is strong enough to not die after taking a hit in Epic Elite AND has the DC to successfully hold monsters in Epic Elite, it's all sizzle and no steak.

But, of course, it won't be capable to meet either of these benchmarks as summons in DDO are forever relegated to somewhere between useless and non-combat pet. Except for Light Archons in Rainbow in the Dark, of course.

I dont understand why all these summon things cant just exist to have a super low level requirement so you can use them to help you TR stuff.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Necklace is alright now even if the summon is horrible.

quote:

Here is a glimpse some changes we've made since the posting of this thread. (No, these changes won't be found in the next prop to Lamannia. Sorry!)

Manual of Stealthy Pilfering
+20 Spot
Upgrade UMD will go to +4 enhancement bonus

Necklace of Mystic Eidolons
I'm sorry to have got everyone excited with the exceptionals. After some debate, we've decided this should really be +3 Insightful, upgraded to +4 Insightful.
We're also moving the Augment Summon from the Libram to the upgrade on this necklace, where it will have a built-in advantage. Oh - and if there are any CC spells you'd like to see on the Shadow Puppet, feel free to let us know!

Libram of Silver Magic
Staying an Orb. Adding 20 Spellcraft.
Upgrade goes to 2% exceptional lore bonus, +11 INT & CHA. No more augment summoning

Deathwyrm Cloak
Is trading some features with the Dragon Masque.
Permanent Nihil: +30 Alchemical Bonus to Negative Energy Spell Power
10% negative energy amp
Deadly goes to the masque, negative level rates go away. (Force Abs. and the augment stay.)

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

On Druids, the big problem with going animal form is that your scaling is really lovely. You're probably better off going some sort of multiclass elemental THF build in terms of power. Aura of the Sun or whatever is pretty solid AE and not being hampered by the increased cooldown on some of your important spells is pretty nice too. Valisti was pretty unhappy with her druid in the late teens and later epic levels, and if you have access to fully upgraded Sireth or something I can only imagine the power difference in animal vs elemental melee is more skewed towards the latter.

Ensis
Nov 13, 2003

Woden posted:

Necklace is alright now even if the summon is horrible.

Necklace is looking better, as a source of +4 Insightful is very valuable and preferable over the exceptional bonus as that's covered by an Imperial Globe. Another source of insightful could also make it possible to pick up the new raid armor and ditch the GH dragon helmet and set bonus; however, there's a lot of overlap on the Deathblock and Ghostly. I would probably end up just sticking with Black Dragonscale.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

DemonMage posted:

On Druids, the big problem with going animal form is that your scaling is really lovely. You're probably better off going some sort of multiclass elemental THF build in terms of power. Aura of the Sun or whatever is pretty solid AE and not being hampered by the increased cooldown on some of your important spells is pretty nice too. Valisti was pretty unhappy with her druid in the late teens and later epic levels, and if you have access to fully upgraded Sireth or something I can only imagine the power difference in animal vs elemental melee is more skewed towards the latter.

I don't know entirely about the druid damage scaling badly. The doublestrike druid I built a while ago was amazing and it didn't have nearly the gear I needed and the build was not only pre u19 but it also needed some tweaks. With whats available now it could be much much better than it was. That said a good melee druid in animal form is difficult to build well.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Turbine just had another round of layoffs, here's what FoS had to say about it over on the Vault.

quote:

DDO developers laid off were Melange, ChainsawGolem, and TheRockingDead. All three were content designers, and are friends of mine.

TheRockingDead had been working on DDO for a long time. He made Rainbow in the Dark.

With them gone, there's four content designers left working on DDO. (Steel, DocOct, and two whom may not have forum names to my knowledge)
I'm not counting PurpleFooz because he's the lead designer.

There were some cuts related to DDO that were not design positions, as well.

So Maj is right that it's not half the developers. Three is still a big hit out of a development team as small as DDO's, though. I hope everything works out, and that all of my friends who lost their jobs today are able to land on their feet and find awesome new opportunities.

To my knowledge, the layoffs were sudden. No-one had any idea they were coming until it started with layoffs of temp employees last week.

As someone who has survived through Turbine layoffs before, I can tell you that it's a pretty stressful procedure. They ask everyone to sit at their desk and wait for an e-mail telling you if you still have your job or not. I don't envy anyone at Turbine right now. It must have been a pretty awful day.

quote:

The layoffs were sudden. No-one knew they were coming at all until this week, and no-one knew if they'd specifically be laid off until it happened.

One of my former co-workers has given me some amendments to add to my earlier post. DDO didn't just lose Melange, TheRockingDead, and ChainsawGolem.

Also laid off were Piloto and one of DDO's engineers.

About the Engineer:
DDO had three engineers. They're the dedicated and brilliant people who work behind the scenes on DDO's code. Engineers are needed for anything that involves engine code, which is required whenever new functionality is being added with a system.
The engineer we lost was a wonderful person, was passionate about her job, and DDO will be much worse off for the loss. She was also in the middle of working on a huge improvement to Hireling AI as a personal project, so that's unlikely to happen- she was the only engineer who knew how that tangled mess was set up.

About Piloto:
Piloto was, by far, the most senior System Designer DDO had. He'd been working on DDO for something in the neighborhood of 7 years.
Piloto made Greensteel Crafting, Cannith Crafting, and many other systems throughout the game. His hand has touched nearly everything in DDO- he's made items, he's made enhancement trees, you name it, he's worked on it.

With Piloto gone, the remaining System Designers are Vargouille and No-Dice. No-Dice is a specialist: he just works on monsters, monster attacks, behaviors and animations.
That means Vargouille is now The System Designer for DDO.

So content devs went from 8 -> 5 and system engineers from 3 -> 2, a lot of QA people were let go too so I guess expect more exploits.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Is DDO doing bad financially, or what's going on? Seems like a bad idea to let go of such passionate and experienced employees.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
They already develop content at a glacial pace, and while I love many things about the DDO system, this slimming down could be the death throws of DDO for me. I am sure there are a few whales who will keep playing/supporting the minimalist staff for years to come, but there is still so much potential for DDO that has no hope of being realized now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah, that's super depressing. It certainly didn't seem like DDO was doing bad financially, but maybe it is or maybe it's just not good enough for Warner Bros to think it's worth sinking more money in. Restructuring and layoffs are not uncommon after an expansion launch, but with a team that small, it's not good.

Though I wouldn't call new content every 3 months a glacial pace, a lot of other games don't match anywhere near that. The content since epic gianthold has felt quite a bit smaller however. And that was just a retread. The MotU content patches were all pretty good sized. Both the U20 quests were really loving good content, and on the longer/bigger size, but 2 quests is still only 2 quests =-( At least we get a big explorer area and two raids with the Halls, which sounds huge but is still technically only a single quest in terms of experience/ransacking/etc.

[Edit] Basically gently caress Atari. Turbine's made their share of mistakes over the years in handling and updating DDO, but Atari hurt them so bad at the original launch and the giant lull before F2P. They came back strong as one of the first F2P games, and it seemed to be sustaining pretty well, but I can only imagine how the game would have turned out if they didn't have to limp along thanks largely in part to Atari for so many years.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 14, 2014

• Locked thread