Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
I'm in as The Teletubbies. I'll pass on playing for cash, but let's give myself a little bit of motivation-

:toxx: If I come dead last, I'll buy the winner an avatar of his/her/its choice. :toxx:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
I'm in, won't bother picking a team until round 1 teamsheets are out though. If people want to pay me money for winning that's fine by me.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Is there a tipping comp set up for this year yet?

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

bowmore posted:

:siren: SA GOON LEAGUE :siren:

League Code: 489454

http://nrlfantasy.dailytelegraph.com.au

In as Yileen's Dlckbutt, it wouldn't allow Dickbutt :(, 11/20 places filled fyi. I'll also be giving up after ~ 3 weeks so no cash money for me.

Also the super league kicks of tonight, RL at last! :toot:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Still waiting on something super league related to put in the OP.... If it's not done by Monday I'll just start making things up at random.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I didn't know you were waiting, I can put something together today if nobody else is doing it. Is anyone else already working on something?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

It's doubtful.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Jono C posted:

Is there a tipping comp set up for this year yet?
Dunno.

I guess I'll set one up at https://www.footytips.com.au if no one beats me to it.

It's my preference since the goon AFL comp is there and it'd be nice if I can do the tips for both at the same time.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I didn't know you were waiting, I can put something together today if nobody else is doing it. Is anyone else already working on something?

Lol wasn't really waiting, just trying to grease the wheels a bit ;-). It's first come first in, but if more than one person gives me stuff I'll just combine them as much as possible (especially if it ends up being funnier)

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Oh well mine probably wouldn't be very funny it would just be full of vitriol about all the clubs other than mine.

e: it wouldn't be as funny as the current OP for sure

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I did a quick run down of the clubs, but I haven't the time to add anything further so feel free to use all/none/any of it for anything.

The home of Rugby League in Europe. Followed mostly by those of us from the so-called 'M62 corridor', which is the motorway which takes you from the Yorkshire region of Northern England to the Lancashire region of Northern England, and, if you're lucky, back again.

The two clubs who finish in positions 13 and 14 of Super League this season (after 27 rounds) will be relegated to the RL Championship, the second tier competition. After round 27, the top 8 teams enter the playoffs. Then comes clubcall.

Clubcall: The winning team from Week 1 with the highest league placing at the end of the regular season will select their semi-final opponents from the two lowest ranked winners in Week 2.

Make sense? Good.

Our players don't suffer as much as those in Australia wrt off-pitch notoriety, because nobody outside the sport knows who they are.

Bratfud Bulls

M62 Yorkshire

Support them if you like poo poo things. Had a spell of being good and won a few titles and challenge cups, and three world club challenge trophies. They are a bit quieter now because they have no money, and are bad. They finished 9th, just outside the playoffs, last season and will be lucky to finish as high as that this time around. They might not even make it to the end of the season because they are terrible at finance

Player to watch (until they stop getting paid): Luke George, maybe. Is he good?

playoff position or relegation battle?: Relegation

Castleford Tigers

M62 Yorkshire

Support them if you work in a mine. Cas have finished in the playoff positions only once in summer-era rugby, and are unlikely to achieve that again.

player to watch: nobody, their only good player was Rangi Chase and he left.

playoffs/relegation: Relegation

Catalans Dragons

ici des dragons

M62 France WTF?!

support them if you're from a very small region of southern France called Perpignan. France is not in England, bizarrely, and they talk forrin.

player to watch: Scott Dureau

playoffs/relegation: relegation

Huddersfield Giants

M62: Yorkshire

support them if, hmmmm. They're actually really good now, annoyingly. Won the League Leaders shield last season, which nobody else gives a poo poo about because it's not a real trophy.

player to watch: There's a few. Danny Brough at stand-off, Scott Grix at the back, Shaun Lunt at hooker and Eorl Crabtree at prop are all quality, and Eorl Crabtree has massive hair. Will make the playoffs, won't win anything.

playoffs/relegation: playoffs

Hull FC

M62 Yorkshire

support them if you think everything you do is a lot better than it actually is.

player to watch Gareth Ellis (who is my next door neighbour no bias), one of few who performed consistently well last season.

playoffs/relegation playoffs

Hull Kingston Rovers

M62 Yorkshire

support them if you have a neighbour who is as terrible at things as you are

player to watch er, Ben Cockayne maybe

playoffs/relegation relegation

Leeds Rhinos

M62 Yorkshire

support them if you like excellence, hard work, and are handsome and popular.

player to watch Jamie Peacock is the oldest man in the world but is still better than almost every other player in his position (prop) in Super League. New signing Tom Briscoe is also worth a look.

playoffs/relegation playoffs, definite champions.

London Broncos

M62 London wtf you can't get to London on the M62, must be a mistake

support them if you like travelling and you want to watch home games from different stadiums every week.

player to watch Solomona til he gets injured playing in mud

playoffs/relegation relegation

Salford Red Devils

M62 Lancashire

support them if you're an attention whore nobody likes. The owner:

looks a bit like the devil. Loves getting himself in the papers, and has signed 14 new players for this season, including Adrian Morley from Wolves.

player to watch Rangi Chase who is definitely English.

playoffs/relegation playoffs probably, if the squad gel early on. Will be hilarious if they fail to make playoffs having spent all that money.

St. Helens

M62 Lancashire

support them if you used to be good at things and wish you could be again, and are a scouser.

player to watch James Roby

playoffs/relegation playoffs, will win nothing.

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats

M62 Yorkshire

support them if you... don't bother with this lot, there is nothing to be gained from watching this lot regularly. Seriously, just go to the stadium and stand in the home end during a game, it's like you've travelled back in time and into a crowd of village idiots all vying to be the best idiot.

player to watch There's a few Leeds rejects in there, who all went to the closest club so they didn't have to move house when Leeds got rid of them. Paul Mcshane will make you laugh when he drops the ball for the twelfth time. They've got Keinhorst on loan from Leeds, who is maybe the only German in the world who plays rugby league.

playoffs/relegation hahahaha

Warrington Wolves

M62 Lancashire

support them if you were poo poo before but for some reason are now quite good, or you hate Widnes.

player to watch Stefan Ratchford works his bollocks off every game

playoffs/relegation playoffs, possible winners

Widnes Vikings

M62 Cheshire

support them if you hate Warrington and like watching Patrick Ah Van, they have nothing else worth seeing.

player to watch see above

playoffs/relegation likely to go down, I'm afraid

Wigan Warriors

M62 Lancashire

support them if you're a glory boy and like a pie. Most succesful side in England and therefore one of the most disliked. Will suffer after losing the little turd Sam Tomkins to NRL. Good riddance, some would say.

player to watch Sean O'Loughlin, Matty Smith. No real star there now Tomkins has gone, so it'll be interesting to see how they do without him. They'll want to prove they weren't a one man team but they were so that will be difficult.

playoffs/relegation playoffs, but nothing more without the good Tomkins. Because he left to be a NRL superstar. Which he won't be, and that will be hilarious.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Wigan will achieve nothing this season and it'll be hilarious!

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
As a St. Helens fan, I hope Wigan and Warrington get relegated, although I'll take them missing the play-offs and going out of the cup. Most hate-able teams in Super League by a mile.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

St. Helens

M62 Lancashire

support them if you like cool teams and have impeccable taste.

player to watch James Roby

playoffs/relegation playoffs, will win nothing.

:colbert:

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 7, 2014

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched "Star Trek?"
Good Lord

ForeverBWFC posted:

Wigan will achieve nothing this season and it'll be hilarious!

That's what everyone said last year...look how that turned out.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Sean O'Loughlin is out with a hamstring injury, Flower comes in. Warriors might struggle here.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Yes but on the other hand gently caress WIGAN.

Leeds will take it this year, again, but first they will lose to Warrington in the Challenge Cup like they do every year.

EDIT: Thanks for the writeup, stckyfngrdby or however you spell it

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Holy poo poo there are some horrific logos on display there

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

Yes but on the other hand gently caress WIGAN.

Leeds will take it this year, again, but first they will lose to Warrington in the Challenge Cup like they do every year.

EDIT: Thanks for the writeup, stckyfngrdby or however you spell it

Sorry it wasn't very funny, but yeah no worries gently caress Wigan (my ex wife supports them)

New video ref system is awesome.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Sorry it wasn't very funny, but yeah no worries gently caress Wigan (my ex wife supports them)

New video ref system is awesome.

Thanks for the write up, when I get back from my run I'll put it in the OP. What's the new video ref system?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Do we get to hear the referee conversation like we did during the World Cup? I enjoyed that immensely, it really added to my understanding of the game.

Also I generally pull for Hull FC and Hull KR in matches when they're not playing my club (Leeds) because, let's face it, they already have to live in Hull and they might as well get a win once in a while to make up for it.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Video refs have their own massive touch screen TV they control themselves, for camera angles and playback etc and we get to watch them gently caress about with it.

We can't hear them though which is a shame

e : also apparently they announce the reasons for the decision in the stadium which is new

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 7, 2014

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
For those following SL in oz, Eurosport again has the rights. Looks like two matches a week, friday night Live at 7am saturday, and another match on delay sunday (sat night uk game?). Repeated as usual to buggery.

Has the ESL got every match broadcast yet?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Live games in the UK are on Thursday and Friday night, so either you're getting a game we're not or the repeat of Thursday's game on Sunday. First Thursday game is Wolves/Saints.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Just picked up my tickets for the Batley game today. So glad the RL season is starting again!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

OK I put all that English galumph in the OP, if anyone wants to add/amend let me know. Also, I'm still missing heaps of ladder predictions for the year so feel free to tell me those too so I have lots to laugh about.

Now, who's going to get injured this week of trials! Which teams will be crying the most?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Here's my Super League ladder prediction:

Rhinos
Giants
Wolves
Hull FC
Saints
Dragons
Red Devils
Warriors [juuuuust barely]
----------
Hull KR
Bulls
Tigers
Wildcats
Vikings
Broncos
----------
Challenge Cup: Wolves
Relegated: Broncos, Vikings
CHAMPIONS: Sir Kevin and the Rhinos

Incidentally, as a Easts supporter and Wigan hater, I get to see my dream come true in this year's World Club Challenge when the Roosters beat the crap out of a Tomkins-free Cherry-and-White side.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

Here's my Super League ladder prediction:

Rhinos
Giants
Wolves
Hull FC
Saints
Dragons
Red Devils
Warriors [juuuuust barely]
----------
Hull KR
Bulls
Tigers
Wildcats
Vikings
Broncos
----------
Relegated: Broncos, Vikings
CHAMPIONS: Sir Kevin and the Rhinos

Incidentally, as a Easts supporter and Wigan hater, I get to see my dream come true in this year's World Club Challenge when the Roosters beat the crap out of a Tomkins-free Cherry-and-White side.

Now I've got to make another loving spreadsheet, thank you very much :colbert: loving easts fans.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Knights vs Goannas is on at 6:30 tonight on NITV

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

To anyone who cares I went to the Waratahs v Blues trial last night and Benji Marshall was pretty poo poo

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I hope he gets his poo poo together, only so that I can point out to all the union fans I work with that it took a league has-been to sort out the Blues.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Not sure why I'm not at the game tonight since from all accounts the tigers are slaughtering the panthers so far. I went to the equivalent last year, turned out to be one of very few high points...

E: There's what I expected to happen, halatau being stretchered off. Yippee.

iajanus fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 8, 2014

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched "Star Trek?"
Good Lord
My predictions for the Super League season

Huddersfield
Wire
Leeds
St. Helens
Wigan
Catalans
Salford
Hull FC
--------
Hull KR
Bradford
Castleford
London - I think they might surprise us a bit
Widnes
Wakefield

Challenge cup - Warrington
Grand Final - I'd love it to be Wire, but I think it may be Leeds again.

For the Championship - I think Sheffield might do it again, they really deserve a shot at Super League considering how well they've done in a city without a Rugby League pedigree. Although it could easily be Featherstone, Halifax or Leigh.

BBC 5 live are broadcasting at least one live game a week on Sports Extra and they've also got a new podcast:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/rugbyleague

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
My Super League predictions

Huddersfield
Leeds
St. Helens
Warrington
Wigan
Salford
Catalans
Hull KR
-------
Hull FC
Bradford
Wakefield
Widnes
Castleford
London

Challenge Cup - St. Helens
Grand Final - Leeds again, beating St. Helens or Warrington

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Huddersfield
Leeds
Wolves
St. Helens
Wigan
Salford
Catalans
Hull FC
--------
Hull KR
Wakey
Castleford
Bradford
London
Widnes

Grand Final: Leeds (strong squad this year, as long as we're a bit luckier with injuries than we were last season)

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Live games in the UK are on Thursday and Friday night, so either you're getting a game we're not or the repeat of Thursday's game on Sunday. First Thursday game is Wolves/Saints.

Yup we get that one too, but on slight delay this week at 9am. Sunday its repeated with the friday game, so no exclusive game for us.

Now to pick a team. Who promises so much and delivers so little except for rare occasions over thrre?

Also parra slaughtered tigers b, said parra fans in my part of the world are acting like its a gf win.

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 9, 2014

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

Good Lord

MiniSune posted:

Now to pick a team. Who promises so much and delivers so little except for rare occasions over thrre?

I think perhaps either Hull FC who seem to recruit very well every year, but never make the breakthrough they're hoping for.

Or Bradford, since it's always their year to get back in the top four. It never happens.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

You take what you can get.

I think souths can never win a gf because of their underdog mentality. They lack Easts gently caress you got mine.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

MiniSune posted:

Yup we get that one too, but on slight delay this week at 9am. Sunday its repeated with the friday game, so no exclusive game for us.

Also parra slaughtered tigers b, said parra fans in my part of the world are acting like its a gf win.

Yeah I'm in the same boat, with plenty of parra fans crowing as if trials mean anything. I'm happy for them since it means they'll have something to celebrate at their end of season party in march.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11198733

SBW and Kieran Foran have had their names leaked as being part of the energy drink and sleeping pill stupidity at the World Cup. SBW's name was already out there, this is the first time I have heard of Foran being part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfoot
Oct 21, 2010

Black and Blue

Jono C posted:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11198733

SBW and Kieran Foran have had their names leaked as being part of the energy drink and sleeping pill stupidity at the World Cup. SBW's name was already out there, this is the first time I have heard of Foran being part of it.

Well that is pretty hosed up, no idea why they would want to do that though?

In other hilarious news - a 40 year old Steve Menzies is making a comeback in the 9s

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/BEAVERS-BACK-Menzies-to-make-comeback-at-Nines-Squad/90236

• Locked thread