Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

ThermoPhysical posted:

AIO just changed up their plans.

Basic Plan is now Unlimited Talk/Text/Data (first 500MB full LTE speed) for $40/mo.

Smart Plan is now Unlimited Talk/Text/Data (first 2.5GB full LTE speed) for $50/mo.

Pro Plan is now Unlimited Talk/Text/Data (first 5GB full LTE speed) for $60/mo.

The biggest change is the Pro Plan which went down from $70 to $60 and lost 2GB. However, if you signed up with the $70/7GB plan, you do get to keep the 7GB.

If you sign up for autopay, you get an extra $5 knocked off (this means it's $35/$45/$55 respectively).

http://www.aiowireless.com/shop/plans.html

Good lord, now there's no reason to stay with straight talk. That smart plan is looking real nice. Few questions:

1) Do they have nano sims?

2) Do they add any latency for AOI customers over normal postpaid customers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

Good lord, now there's no reason to stay with straight talk. That smart plan is looking real nice. Few questions:

1) Do they have nano sims?

2) Do they add any latency for AOI customers over normal postpaid customers?

I'm hopping into a chat with them now, I can ask about #1. As for #2, I'm not sure but I do know data is much faster on AIO than it was on ST and has no slow downs or drops. ST was basically postpaid as that's what America Movil paid for (it allowed for roaming on T-Mobile, etc) so I'm not 100% on that.

EDIT:
I ended up called.

Yes, AIO does have nanoSIMs, you can go to an AIO store or call them to have one mailed.

I didn't ask about #2 because I don't think the guy I was talking to would know. Seriously, I'm really loving lost right now. :(

I DID confirm some other things:

• You must call in (or do it online or over chat) and switch to the new plans. If you are already on an old plan with Auto Pay, you can still receive the $5-off if you call in and switch to the new plan.
  • You can also call in if you're on the old Smart plan, switch to the new Pro, and get $5 off with AutoPay and basically pay $55 yet again but get 3GB more data. I just did that.
  • Holy poo poo am I confused right now because the guy kept giving me weird math so I'm gonna call them back later. :confused:

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 4, 2014

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Basic Plan is now Unlimited Talk/Text/Data (first 500MB full LTE speed) for $40/mo.

Smart Plan is now Unlimited Talk/Text/Data (first 2.5GB full LTE speed) for $50/mo.

The biggest change is the Pro Plan which went down from $70 to $60 and lost 2GB. However, if you signed up with the $70/7GB plan, you do get to keep the 7GB.

If you sign up for autopay, you get an extra $5 knocked off (this means it's $35/$45/$55 respectively).

The basic plan at $35 would be perfect for my girlfriend. She rarely uses more than a couple hundred megs a month.

Is there any place to buy refills tax free online? How much tax does auto pay typically tack on for you?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SB35 posted:

The basic plan at $35 would be perfect for my girlfriend. She rarely uses more than a couple hundred megs a month.

Is there any place to buy refills tax free online? How much tax does auto pay typically tack on for you?

There is no tax or fees. They're all included in the payments. Also, you don't have pay cards or refills. See my previously edited post for more info.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

There is no tax or fees. They're all included in the payments. Also, you don't have pay cards or refills. See my previously edited post for more info.

Does AIO support no answer call forwarding? (this is important for Gvoice users)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SB35 posted:

Does AIO support no answer call forwarding? (this is important for Gvoice users)

You mean if you block a number and they call, they'd be forwarded to a disconnect message? Or if you don't answer a call they go to voicemail?

If so, then the answer is yes.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Their FAQ still says they're only available in Tampa, Houston and Orlando, but that doesn't make sense if they're selling online and using a nationwide network (they're AT&T right?). Could I just have a SIM shipped to Illinois?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
For AIO, after you use up your LTE speed, do you get HSPA+/3G afterwards?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Their FAQ still says they're only available in Tampa, Houston and Orlando, but that doesn't make sense if they're selling online and using a nationwide network (they're AT&T right?). Could I just have a SIM shipped to Illinois?

Yes, they're AT&T (as in they're actually owned by AT&T, just prepaid). AIO's been available nationwide since September 2013. Their FAQ is just out of date.

Yes, you can have any SIM (micro or nano) shipped to Illinois. :) Also, AIO works perfectly there, I was there last November.

Mister Fister posted:

This, I'm not sure about because I don't have LTE on my Nexus 4. I do know that YouTube, Google Music, and other stuff works okay after your bucket of data is gone.

EDIT: Also, finally got clarification for the switch plan thing I did.

If you are on the old Smart Plan ($55/mo for 2GB of data), you can switch up to the new Pro Plan ($60/mo, 5GB of data) and add on the Auto Pay for $5 off, making it $55/mo again for more data.

However, when you do this, it will immediately change the plan over and it will say you owe $60 instead of $55 on your bill. You STILL get the $5 discount as long as you have Auto Pay on but it will not be deducted until a few days before your actual due date.

Note, if you turn Auto Pay off, you will not be able to get the promotion again so don't turn it off. You can always pay before the due date if you want via the AIO website, phone, or the My AIO app so you don't have to worry about somehow not having money around that time or something.

I've now got a limit of 5GB and things are all set up.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 5, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
drat, those are decent plans. Looks like the basic for the wife, pro for me will work.

A better mouse trap may have just got us off of ST and the T-Mo dork plan ($80/month after taxes).

$90/month is decent, all in with no tax (no tax, right?). Thanks Legere for helping create this!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

hotsauce posted:

drat, those are decent plans. Looks like the basic for the wife, pro for me will work.

A better mouse trap may have just got us off of ST and the T-Mo dork plan ($80/month after taxes).

$90/month is decent, all in with no tax (no tax, right?). Thanks Legere for helping create this!

If you mean AIO, there are no taxes or fees added to the bill, its a flat rate.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Mister Fister posted:

Within your data allotment, IF YOU'RE IN AN AREA WITH LTE COVERAGE, it will run capped at 8 Gb/s. If you are in an area without LTE but there is HSPA+, it will run capped at 4 Gb/s.

When you exceed your data allotment, regardless of whether you're in an LTE coverage area or not, your data speed will be capped at 256 Kb/s until either 1) You buy a $10 data add-on for the rest of the month, or 2) Your new month starts.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Note, if you turn Auto Pay off, you will not be able to get the promotion again so don't turn it off. You can always pay before the due date if you want via the AIO website, phone, or the My AIO app so you don't have to worry about somehow not having money around that time or something.

I've now got a limit of 5GB and things are all set up.

Say I enable Auto-Pay now and leave it on, but later I bounce around between different plans for a couple of months, does that $5 discount remain?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Venkmanologist posted:

Say I enable Auto-Pay now and leave it on, but later I bounce around between different plans for a couple of months, does that $5 discount remain?

I would imagine they would gladly take your money if you keep the auto-pay on and use another service for that month, if that's what you are asking.

Sounds like as soon as you remove the auto-pay or let it lapse past 30 days, you lose the $5 discount forever.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Venkmanologist posted:

Yes, the discount will remain as long as you don't turn it off.

hotsauce posted:

Sounds like as soon as you remove the auto-pay or let it lapse past 30 days, you lose the $5 discount forever.

Pretty much this. You have to keep it on or lose the discount. It's like Google Play Music's $2 discount when they first started.

Venkmanologist posted:

Within your data allotment, IF YOU'RE IN AN AREA WITH LTE COVERAGE, it will run capped at 8 Gb/s. If you are in an area without LTE but there is HSPA+, it will run capped at 4 Gb/s.

When you exceed your data allotment, regardless of whether you're in an LTE coverage area or not, your data speed will be capped at 256 Kb/s until either 1) You buy a $10 data add-on for the rest of the month, or 2) Your new month starts.

I'd like to add that you can make as many $10 payments as you want. That $10 will get you 1GB, if you want more, just pay in 10s how much more you'd like.

You can also add that $10 (or however much more) to your bills as a recurring charge.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 5, 2014

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Looks like I'll have to crawl back to AIO. It's funny how they don't seem to give a poo poo about gophone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TLG James posted:

Looks like I'll have to crawl back to AIO. It's funny how they don't seem to give a poo poo about gophone.

GoPhone is most likely going to be phased out as soon as they officially own Leap Wireless and take control of Cricket.

AT&T already confirmed that AIO will be merged into Cricket and renamed as such. They'll most likely do what T-Mobile did to MetroPCS and switch it from CDMA to GSM and use it to boost LTE. They definitely won't keep it as CDMA and they can just start moving CDMA users on over to the GSM side.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That merger, I hope, happens after T-Mobile's alleged expansion. I'm the last person to say branding is A Thing, but I rather like the chirpy, cheery thing they've got going with Aio.

There's also the totally-not-a-fence "WE BUY/SELL/REPAIR BROKEN ELECTRONICS/FLASH YOUR PHONE TO CRICKET" shop in town. It's next to a quaint little sorta-indie used/new video game store, all that's missing is a pawn shop and you could basically just back a van full of stolen poo poo into the parking lot Payday style. Cricket gives me bad vibes, like mentioning it would imply I stole my phone/went deadbeat on a contract.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
As someone that doesn't need data I just went to:
http://www.prepaidwireless.com/products/airtime/refill_details.cfm?type_id=23

and purchased 365 days of service, 2000 minutes for $80 bucks. I don't think I'm going to find anything cheaper than that but it's been a year so who knows.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Well I reactivated my Aio account. Unfortunatley, I still had to pay 55 plus 15 to reactive. Then I switched over to 50 - 5 with autopay. I confirmed with the rep that they don't have a way to suspend service if you leave/don't pay your bill for 60+ days. (I travel a lot)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

ThermoPhysical posted:

These are all after-tax out-the-door costs right? So a $40 for my wife and a $50 for me, less $10 for auto-pay, would come out to $75/month for the pair of us or $37.50/line average? That's really fantastic. I presume these lines do not have tethering included.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TLG James posted:

Well I reactivated my Aio account. Unfortunatley, I still had to pay 55 plus 15 to reactive. Then I switched over to 50 - 5 with autopay. I confirmed with the rep that they don't have a way to suspend service if you leave/don't pay your bill for 60+ days. (I travel a lot)

So, technically, you could stop paying your bill, leave AIO for another carrier, decide you don't like the carrier, and your account would still exist and you'd just have to reactivate it? That's kind of cool, I guess. But weird.

TraderStav posted:

These are all after-tax out-the-door costs right? So a $40 for my wife and a $50 for me, less $10 for auto-pay, would come out to $75/month for the pair of us or $37.50/line average? That's really fantastic. I presume these lines do not have tethering included.

Actually, it'd be $80/mo for the pair of you or $40/line.

$40 with a $5 discount for the Basic Plan so $35 and $50 with a $5 discount for the Smart Plan so $45.

And yes, taxes are included so those are the exact prices you'd pay.

Also, it is now possible to use a smartphone with the new $40 ($35 if you do AutoPay) Basic Plan. Previously, AIO would force customers to switch to the Smart/Pro plan because data wouldn't work properly on a smartphone using the old Basic Plan (it'd actually be slower than 8MBps, even if you were in an LTE area). With this new change, you are able to add any AIO-branded phone as well as a BYOP device to the new Basic Plan.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 6, 2014

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Oops, terrible math. $40/mo is fantastic. Great news that you can put an iPhone on the $40 plan as that's what I'd be putting. We have an iPhone 5 and a Moto X. Currently on GoPhone and averaging about $53/57 month depending on when I buy up some cards. For our usage this seems far far superior.

The throttled down speed is still usable for basic stuff, right? I rarely go over 1.5gb let alone 2.5 and my wife hardly cracks 300mb but I'd like to know the full extent of the downside.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TraderStav posted:

The throttled down speed is still usable for basic stuff, right? I rarely go over 1.5gb let alone 2.5 and my wife hardly cracks 300mb but I'd like to know the full extent of the downside.

I don't know the full extent, but YouTube (SD, not HD) still works as well as web browsing, MMS, Awful app. Those are the only things I tried when I was over.

Oh, since you have a Moto X, call AIO and let em know you want a nanoSIM or just find an AIO store if you can.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
The weird thing is my plan says I have 4.5 gigs of high speed this month. I checked the statement, its for the 2 gig plan + 15 dollar reconnect fee.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TLG James posted:

The weird thing is my plan says I have 4.5 gigs of high speed this month. I checked the statement, its for the 2 gig plan + 15 dollar reconnect fee.

That is kind of strange...I'd probably call before you hit 2GB to make sure that this is temporary or they might charge you $60 next month or something.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

ThermoPhysical posted:

That is kind of strange...I'd probably call before you hit 2GB to make sure that this is temporary or they might charge you $60 next month or something.

My next month bill already says 45 so I dont even know. Unless its some sort of reconnect bonus.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
That's a great deal, especially now that I'm getting more than 100 minutes of calls a month and rarely crack 120mb of data.

I've been with Tmobile for a while and the dork plan is awesome, but I'd be okay with an extra fiver a month to not have to dick around with crappy voip solutions. Thanks for the tip Thermo!

Edit: Their website gets stuck at the "check your imei" page. Way to not want to take my money :(

Edit 2: Online tech support open from 7-12 eastern. What the hell kind of service hours are those?! :psyduck:

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 6, 2014

ge.hale
Feb 1, 2006
Considering going with these new AIO plans for my family. I can't remember if it was an ST or AIO issue, but are there some special steps you have to take to get MMS to work on an iPhone?

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
I can at least say having AIO to call for tech support will be vastly superior to Straight Talk. Just switched over to AIO, seems wonderful so far with no issues. They went quite out of their way to help me port my number over as Straight Talk was being a bit of an rear end in a top hat releasing my number.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

dr.bateman posted:

Considering going with these new AIO plans for my family. I can't remember if it was an ST or AIO issue, but are there some special steps you have to take to get MMS to work on an iPhone?

I would also really like to hear about this. Very important for wife acceptance.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

poxin posted:

I can at least say having AIO to call for tech support will be vastly superior to Straight Talk. Just switched over to AIO, seems wonderful so far with no issues. They went quite out of their way to help me port my number over as Straight Talk was being a bit of an rear end in a top hat releasing my number.

Would you mind expanding on the troubles you had porting from ST? I am putting my wife on AIO's 500mb plan and she currently has ST. She gets all worried when I port over to another prepaid, worried her phone will be dead for hours/days. I promised her going to AIO would be painless...
Porting from ATT's post paid plan to ST was completed in 10 minutes.

Her plan will be $35/month vs $49. Not much of a savings, but worth it to me. I also am going to AIO's $60 ($55) plan. They are too good to pass up since they give you straight 5 gigs of usable data (no mysterious daily limits and other tomfoolery).

Also, AIO requires you to input the number you wish to port at checkout. This doesn't initiate anything, right? My plan is to order the SIM, tell them I will port the number and actually set it up in a week or so. I am hoping it doesn't initiate the port on ST's end at the point of ordering the SIM.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Would you mind expanding on the troubles you had porting from ST? I am putting my wife on AIO's 500mb plan and she currently has ST. She gets all worried when I port over to another prepaid, worried her phone will be dead for hours/days. I promised her going to AIO would be painless...
Porting from ATT's post paid plan to ST was completed in 10 minutes.

Her plan will be $35/month vs $49. Not much of a savings, but worth it to me. I also am going to AIO's $60 ($55) plan. They are too good to pass up since they give you straight 5 gigs of usable data (no mysterious daily limits and other tomfoolery).

Also, AIO requires you to input the number you wish to port at checkout. This doesn't initiate anything, right? My plan is to order the SIM, tell them I will port the number and actually set it up in a week or so. I am hoping it doesn't initiate the port on ST's end at the point of ordering the SIM.

I plan to do the same as you are for the gf, patiently waiting for solid answers regarding AIO iPhone MMS fuckery and quick porting :ohdear:

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Regarding my port experience from ST to AIO (it may not be the norm). I filled out all my information at AIO's site to pay for service and port my number. Their site kept having difficulty finding my phone number at straight talk. I tried entering it a couple different times. I called in and talked to a rep who said they could do it manually but my phone may be offline for 24 hours and that I would have to wait for the SIM card to show up too (2 day shipping). The number was actually in their system but something at Straight Talk was throwing errors.

I talked her into sending me a SIM card ahead of time (at no charge I now realize) and then called back up to accept payment for the account. All in all it wasn't too bad but it had to be done manually on their end, complete port took about 4 hours. The port process doesn't start at AIO until they actually accept payment. I would say try it on the website first and if that fails you can send me a PM and I'll give you the direct number to the woman that helped me.

They have APN settings for Android/Windows/iPhone here:
Android/Windows: http://www.aiowireless.com/content/aio/en/support/Phones-and-Tablets/BYOD/customer/manual-configuration-steps.html
iPhone: http://www.aiowireless.com/content/aio/en/support/Phones-and-Tablets/BYOD/customer/Bring-Your-Own-iPhone.html

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

poxin posted:

Regarding my port experience from ST to AIO (it may not be the norm). I filled out all my information at AIO's site to pay for service and port my number. Their site kept having difficulty finding my phone number at straight talk. I tried entering it a couple different times. I called in and talked to a rep who said they could do it manually but my phone may be offline for 24 hours and that I would have to wait for the SIM card to show up too (2 day shipping). The number was actually in their system but something at Straight Talk was throwing errors.

I talked her into sending me a SIM card ahead of time (at no charge I now realize) and then called back up to accept payment for the account. All in all it wasn't too bad but it had to be done manually on their end, complete port took about 4 hours. The port process doesn't start at AIO until they actually accept payment. I would say try it on the website first and if that fails you can send me a PM and I'll give you the direct number to the woman that helped me.

They have APN settings for Android/Windows/iPhone here:
Android/Windows: http://www.aiowireless.com/content/aio/en/support/Phones-and-Tablets/BYOD/customer/manual-configuration-steps.html
iPhone: http://www.aiowireless.com/content/aio/en/support/Phones-and-Tablets/BYOD/customer/Bring-Your-Own-iPhone.html

The challenge is that you cannot edit the APN settings on the iPhone unless the carrier programmed their sim to be able to. (without jailbreaking)

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

TraderStav posted:

The challenge is that you cannot edit the APN settings on the iPhone unless the carrier programmed their sim to be able to. (without jailbreaking)

I have no idea really, just posted the articles I found on their site hoping they would be helpful. I have an Android :banjo:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I do auto refill with ST on the $45, and with local taxes and fees based on my local zip code it ends up being a few cents over $50. So with AIO there's no local taxes or fees whatsoever? And the $35 AIO plan is equivalent to the $45 ST plan? And people have been able to port their numbers from ST to AIO?

This is perfect.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FISHMANPET posted:

So I do auto refill with ST on the $45, and with local taxes and fees based on my local zip code it ends up being a few cents over $50. So with AIO there's no local taxes or fees whatsoever? And the $35 AIO plan is equivalent to the $45 ST plan? And people have been able to port their numbers from ST to AIO?

This is perfect.

Yeah, it's pretty baller to see $55 on the site and know it isn't actually like $68 (Nebraska taxes the fuuuuck out of mobile carriers for some reason) after the poo poo.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

Yeah, it's pretty baller to see $55 on the site and know it isn't actually like $68 (Nebraska taxes the fuuuuck out of mobile carriers for some reason) after the poo poo.

Nebraska has the highest mobile tax in the country at 24.5%. :v: Probably that loving stadium cost and other bs.

Sprint cost me nearly $90 for a bill that was supposed to be $60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Nebraska has the highest mobile tax in the country at 24.5%. :v: Probably that loving stadium cost and other bs.

Sprint cost me nearly $90 for a bill that was supposed to be $60.

Probably the cost of trying to give tax breaks away to everything they can.

• Locked thread