Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Horace Capron

On another note, it has come to my attention that these lands have but received the most rudimentary of surveying. Opportunities might be hidden just beneath the surface, and possibilities to improve productivity might need only a focused look. With the permission of the government, I would like to start an in depth survey of Hokkaido's farms and mineral wealth. Besides permission, this would also require some resources. But I can tell you that it'll bring you great profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Hijikata Toshizō, The Demon of the Shinsengumi

I would say, American, your suggestions might seem sound, but I do have a more important question. What is this thing your people are doing that involves a ball and a wooden stick while everyone is gathered around in a formation? My men tell me this yakyuu thing is a favored past time of your people. I want to know more.

Ramba Ral fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 7, 2014

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Joining as the head of the Matsumae Clan: gantolandonsa ( at) gmail.com.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
President Enomoto Takeaki

More than 1,200 years ago, the Taika Emperor undertook the Taika Reform and brought much learning to Japan, the Chinese system of writing, the ideas of Confucius, and the way or organizing society according to the concepts of that philosophy, even the concept of Emperor itself was changed. From this lesson we can learn that in trying times, it is necessary to adjust. Yet the Meiji usurper would abandon all that is Japanese, this can not be allowed! We must develop our strength according to the ways which seem the best, but remain true to the traditions of our ancestors. To find a better way to do things does not mean we give up our culture or our traditions. In the past, we learned from China, but today they have nothing to teach us. Today, we shall learn from the French, the British, the Americans.

Thus, as a Presidential matter of the greatest importance, we will proceed with this survey as proposed by our American economic advisor. We will ensure that all necessary personnel and equipment are given to Capron-san. In addition, I call upon all noble Lords of the major clans to devote their effort to seeing that this survey takes place. Once we have an accurate idea of the land on Ezo, the population, the use to which the land is put, any and all metal deposits and other natural resources, as well as the composition of the Ainu villages and any other potentially destabilizing factors, we will be able to undertake the true settling of this land. That means, to put it explicitly, the land will be granted by the government to those who can clear, settle and cultivate it. Forces from the army will accompany the survey team put together by Capron-san. In addition, I would like at least one member of the samurai class to accompany him and personally see to his protection and success in this mission, but the more who travel with him and assist him in this matter, the better. When the survey is complete, then we shall discuss the parceling of this land out to those who can use it, whether Japanese farmers from the usurper's domain, or the samurai themselves who can gather the men and women to turn this land bountiful.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Nagai Naoyuki, Finance Magistrate, Samurai

No offense Capuron-san but we are all weary of western imperialism after the events that unfolded in China, at this time to suggest that we should open our lands up to immigrant farmers would be a hasty choice. I'm open to a survey of the land but this land should be first and foremost for the people of Japan not immigrants.

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 7, 2014

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Takenaka Shigekata
Chief Justice of the Ezo Supreme Court

Gentlemen,

This morning the Justices will return to the bench for the first time since last year. I look forward to serving Ezo over the coming months.

The constitution vests the whole judicial power of the Republic of Ezo in a Supreme Court, and such inferior courts as Congress shall, from time to time, ordain and establish. This power is expressly extended to all cases arising under the laws of the Ezo; and consequently, in some form, may be exercised over the present.

The authority of the Court is therefore to ensure the maintenance of order and prevent degeneration into tyranny by addressing any question that seems repugnant to the Constitution before it can become the law of the land. In this sense, the Court is non-partisan and concerned solely with correct application of the law. Should any member of Ezo's society find government in violation of the Constitution on any matter, we remind them of their right to appeal to the Supreme Court for remedy.

Any citizen who wishes to appeal to the Court should indicate who they are filing suit against (the case name), as well as, their grievance (the specific legal/constitutional question raised). Should the case have merit, it will be added to the docket.

Thank you for your attention.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 7, 2014

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Matsumae Takahiro

We, samurai of the Matsumae clan, are concerned with the politics of the government about the presence of foreigners in Ezochi.

Once, people in these lands nearly uniformly revered the kami, honored their ancestors and followed the teachings of Buddha. It ensured fruitful and virtuous lives. It allowed the society to function orderly. It gave the samurai the confidence to die for a righteous cause. It gave the peasant perseverance to toil the earth and endure the hardships of his life. Our way of life was not certainly not the most forgiving, but it made our spirits strong.

This way of life is in danger right now, as more and more people turn their backs on their faith and get "baptized". In doing so, they forswear paying respects to the kind-hearted kami and worship the bleeding carcass of their jealous God. Instead of honoring their own ancestors, they may only supplicate the gaijin who has been deemed worthy by the priests in Europe. They do not believe in rebirth according to their previous lives: their God, as they say, is the only master of their souls, creating them from nothing, then applying rewards and punishment as he sees fit.

In the Christian doctrine, obedience to their terrible master takes precedence over every loyalty they may feel to their family, lord and emperor. They have to participate in the rituals when they symbolically consume the flesh of their dead God and, if forbidden by the authorities, they are expected to disobey. Their priests instruct them to pay taxes to them, some of which are spirited away to the Europe. Their highest priest, the pope, ostensibly wields supreme power over every Christian and claims to be able to bring the wrath of his God on the disobedient. Every tenet of this religion is designed to inspire fear and docility.

It is not a secret why the foreigners want the people of Ezochi to follow their faith so much. They want the Yamato and Ainu people loyal not to their government, but to the pope ruling in their homeland. They want to have a market for their overpriced baubles that some new Christians already wear to show their loyalty to their new master. They want to be able to incite the farmers to revolt whenever they see fit. Above all, they want to be masters of our land, served by plenty of obedient slaves. Every virtuous person should oppose the spread of Christianity, as every baptized person tightens the grip the gaijin already have on our necks.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

We must not indebt ourselves any further to foreign powers. We need to be a strong, independant nation, free from foreign influence.

quote:

Furthermore, while I appreciate the role of tradition in Ezo society, to further restrict the franchise by decimating the ranks of the Samurai is conduct unbefitting a republic. I encourage the Senate to consider the full ramifications of their actions.
We are not an ungrateful nation, and we recognise the role of the French in giving us independence from the Meiji oppressors. However please do not presume that what works half the world away in France will work in Ezo. Do not presume to tell us to abandon centuries of honour and traditions in favour of foreign ideologies.

Litos
Feb 2, 2013

Otori Keisuke, Army Minister

We thank various parties for their astute endorsement of further military action and funding. Funding will require plans to avoid becoming waste, and the army has many projects that will let us better enable the protection of our state and the liberation of the mainland. We plan first to expand the army's size due to the doubling of thee budget from 5,000 to 10,000 active persons and to lower the cost of these proposals by allowing exiled samurai to join the ranks starting in positions befitting their skill at arms. Furthermore, we hope to increase efficiency the procurement of new armaments so long as they are in line with tried and tested traditions in combat and increase efficiency by creating military councils among the officers in which we can come to a better consensus on defensive strategy.

We thank the President for his excellent analysis of the options our righteous government has to project its influence and hope to converse with him shortly about the options. Funding increases to both the army and navy are critical to any effort given the need both to defeat the naval forces of Meiji Japan and pacify resistance on dry land.

Litos fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 7, 2014

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Matsumae Takahiro

As the head of the clan, I speak for all Matsumae samurai and their retainers.

During the war and tenure of my son, Matsumae Norihiro, the Congress of the republic passed an act, ostensibly to punish the clan for its participation in the war on the Meiji Emperor side, with the following effect:

1. Most of the holdings of the clan, including the magnificent Fukuyama Castle, have been taken away from the clan.
2. The members of the clan have been stripped of their samurai status, which denied them their privileges and voting rights.

We claim this act to be not only unjust, but also fundamentally incompatible with the constitution this government claims to cherish so much, on the following basis:

1. It has been passed before the constitution, the basis of the law of the Republic, was even drafted.
2. The act interferes with several rights later guaranteed by the constitution.
3. By inflicting punishment, the Congress usurped themselves the right reserved to the courts.
4. The wording of the act claims that the Matsumae clan has committed "treason" against the Republic, despite the fact that the clan has never harmed the republican forces after it was officially established and the constitution - the basis of its law - drafted.

Therefore, the Matsumae Clan is going to file a case against the Congress of the Republic of Ezo before the Supreme Court. We hereby ask to have our holdings returned and our samurai status reinstated.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Horace Capron

Ah, baseball. Yes, it certainly became quite popular. When I was young it was mostly a thing people played for fun, but lately it has turned into a true official sport. I of course support my home team of the Red Stockings, though I haven't heard news of them since I've been here naturally. An interesting game it is. All about both skill, power, speed but also judgement of risks versus reward. And unlike cricket, it doesn't take a week to do it.

Now, onto more serious matters. I absolutely understand the concern people have shown. Many European nations have been exploiting colonies. Until a few generations ago, we WERE one of those exploited colonies. We have no interest in being on the other side of that relation. The United States of America supports the Ezo Republic because of its own interests. But America sees a good, solid, honest trade partner as its best interest. Not a colony, for the age of colonies will end.

But words are cheap. What I will tell you is that I will write down all the information of that survey, always with one of your people with me. And that information will be handed over to the cabinet. I will not keep a copy for myself, and I will swear not to sell or give the information to foreigners without the approval of the Ezo government.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
I'll take Erwin Balz
cmclay@att.net
or
mcclay13@gmail.com
if the first one doesn't work.

mcclay fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 8, 2014

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Hayashi Tadasu

The following is an open letter, distributed through the Japanese press

My friends and fellow Japanese citizens!

There has been much talk lately about the state of our island, and of proposed attempts to increase our sovereign territory through martial means, primarily through the undertaking of a military expedition to other islands in the region. Whilst these ideas are with merit, it must be known to all that this is not a certainty, and there are other proposals also being made to enable us to maximise the use of our own lands in order to increase our industrial and agricultural capacity.

What you may not be aware of, my friends, is that the diplomatic situation in this region is in a state of flux. Whilst no true son or daughter of Japan can doubt that ours is the rightful claim to our nation, the fact remains that Honshu sits in the unworthy hands of others. Whilst this vexes our military leaders, and rightfully so, they have needs to be a little more careful with the language they choose when expressing public opinion.

This great Republic is not a belligerent, aggressive, war-mongering entity, but rather the legitimate government of the nation of Japan. Our primary goals are not to seek an expansionist empire at the cost of other sovereign nations, but rather to take and control as much of the territory unlawfully occupied as we physically can.

I will render it in plain and simple Japanese, so all may understand. We must have no desires on aggressive expansion to the north, in the territories disputed with Russia. Such disputes are ripe to be settled at the conference table, and they shall be in time. Likewise, talk of infringing on the sovereignty of the nations of China and Korea are not suitable topics for discussion. Such talk will serve only to inflame the opinions of our neighbours, and make it easier for the German-controlled puppets in Honshu to engage in diplomatic maneuvers against us.

We must be vigilant, that careless words do not cost us aid that we may come to use in our righteous struggle to reclaim what is ours.

Your Faithful servant
Hayashi Tadasu

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Captain Thomas Blakiston

First of all, I must inform the good Mr. Capron that he is mistaken: baseball is too dull and barbaric to be called a true sport. The only true bat-and-ball sport is cricket, and I look forward to its inevitable popularization within Ezo. In fact, I may go so far as to sponsor a small cricket league myself if enough interested players can be found.

Onto more serious matters, while I certainly do not object to Mr. Capron's excellent qualifications as an agricultural expert, agriculture and surveying are two very different beasts. I question whether the job of surveying the mineral wealth and other natural resources of this fair island could not be better achieved by contracting with Blakiston and Company. Not only am I something of an explorer and naturalist, but I have extensive surveying experience, having been part of the Palliser Expedition in Western Canada, as well as an expedition up the Yangtze River. Not to mention that I have experience with natural resources here has well, being currently engaged in the largest lumber operation on the island.

Rather than waste government resources that could no doubt be better spent elsewhere, I would be willing to provide my services at a reduced cost in exchange for a share of the resultant mineral rights.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Kasuga Saemon (S)

Excerpt from "Kasuga Saemon's Collected Letters pt. 2", Barker & Sons, San Francisco 1917 posted:

Brother Takahiro, I can only extend my most heartfelt congratulations at the news of your vows, and raise up my voice in praise of God! Now that you've embarked on this path, you have entered into the noblest service of the Church, who cannot proceed without the constant prayers and petitions sent up by priests and monks. Let no man call your path ignoble or cowardly! Now that you have made your vows the Devil will most assuredly seek your destruction with ever more fervor, for he hates those whom God loves. Every day you will face battles more tremendous than Sekigahara, and without God no one could ever hope to emerge victorious. But I know you, and God will not turn away those who fly to the Cross for aid. Though I am presently unable to leave Hakodate, know that you are ever in my prayers, and I hope soon to see you and your confreres in Wakkanai.

Excerpt from "The Way is Long: The Story of Kasuga Saemon", St. Paul Press, Paris 1899 posted:

Hakodate, though on the sea, can be bitterly cold in January. Thus it was that Saemon, making his way through the crowds of Ezo's capitol, saw a poor and piteous figure, a man with only the most threadbare clothes and without any blanket, under a thin layer of snow. Looking around him, he saw that no one else saw the freezing man, and they passed by the scene with the utmost indifference. It was not that they hated him, but so many of the crowd, being as yet untouched by the light of God, were incapable of seeing the misery and pain that existed right under them. Quickly shaking the man to make sure he was still alive, Saemon took him on his back and, like a deer, raced through the streets of Hakodate to his home, where he immediately worked to warm the man up. Laying the man on his own bed, and wrapping him in his own clothes, Saemon spent the night feeding lukewarm soup to the man. As the dawn arrived, he wondered how many others were out there, and had no warm place to stay. This drove him...

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Gantolandon posted:

Matsumae Takahiro

Takenaka Shigekata
Chief Justice of the Ezo Supreme Court

The Supreme Court finds this case as one with merit and has added Matumae v. Republic of Ezo to its docket. I ask representatives for both sides to present oral arguments before the Court.

(OOC: The Matsumae Clan doesn't need to present any arguments because they already did so in their petition. If a government representative would like to present counterarguments, I'll consider it in my decision.)

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Horace Capron

Hah, well, it should be a very small cricket league then, my good captain. There is too much work to be done for many people to spend the time necessary to sit through cricket matches.

But that aside, Captain Blakiston is not wrong. My specialty is agriculture. Of course, given resources I will certainly be able to hire good men to survey for minerals. But I'd be lying if I said that Captain Blakiston's assistance wouldn't help. However, know that my assistance is always granted. I am paid a stipend by the Republic, and so I am at its service. The good Captain is a merchant and he intends to make a profit from this undertaking, as is his honest intent. The choice is here between the long term, or the short term. His aid in surveying would save money and possibly mean more would be discovered. But he would not offer it if he did not believe he'd make a good profit of it. And of course, I know some of the honored samurai would have strong feelings on the matter. I would not feel offended were he to be given this task.

Now, onto manners of economic reform. I can make sure that the most modern, state of the art tools, seeds and raining will find their way to these shortes, but they have a price. And the question is, how will we pay for them?
1: The Republican government could of course buy them directly, and allow the farmers to use them, the farmers would pay for it in taxes. But the machines would remain government property.
2: The Samurai who oversees the land could pay for them, and let those on that land use them. It would mean the land he oversees would be more productive
3: Farmers could buy them themselves. This has the problem that few of the farmers have the funds to do so. Possibly, the government could make loans to these farmers, meaning they'd get more than their money back. Of course, the farmers themselves would own these tools.
4: Merchants could purchase it. But here is the problem that since merchants may not own land, they would have no use for it. They could sell it to farmers, but honestly, then it's better for the farmers to buy them directly.

Personally, I'm inclined to support the third option. But I would be remiss if I failed to present all possibilities that I see.

Then there is industry. I feel there is opportunity there as well, especially if we find good resources. I feel the merchant class stands to profit from this (and through taxes, the entire Republic) Many have a fair amount of wealth, and if given the permission, could invest in factories. They could buy the resources the farmers produce, and sell it both to people within, and to people without, bringing much wealth to the republic.

On that note, I ask the cabinet to consider not being too strict on the merchant class. I realize that the army must be strong, and someone must pay. But as a farmer needs seeds to bring a harvest, a merchant needs money to bring a great profit. Moderation in taxation now might cost a little today, but will bring great wealth to the republic tomorrow.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Gantolandon posted:

Matsumae Takahiro

Arai Ikunosuke, Naval Minister

Matsumae Takahiro is incredibly misguided with this statements. There are many Japanese who follow the word of God and their loyalty to our history, their fellow people, and their true government is not to be questioned. Many Japenese Christians have served and died for this country and I will not tolerate an oafish or incompetent Meiji sympathizer like yourself to make any further statements. Takahiro would prefer to let our Republic sit around and do nothing while the Meiji usurpers build up to destroy us. Following his words would lead to our doom.

As for expansion, I am not totally opposed to the idea. I feel that the correct route for expansion could net us the resources and economic boon that could help us retake our rightful territory. I would only warn against starting conflicts that would needlessly wear us down or leave us open to attack.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

If this baseball is as great as you say, then me and my men shall participate in it.

Now, about those Christian converts, what is the problem here? All I see is a bunch of old guards angry at the fact that they try to cling to traditions too hardly and blame their incompetence on anything new except themselves. I have to agree with the president, the foreigners have things to teach us and just like there were things of Chinese culture that we took for our benefit, we must take what we can and learn from them. The very idea that staying stagnant will somehow let us reclaim the mainland is laughable at best. We need to adapt but in our own way.

quote:

Letter to Kasuga Saemon

Dear Kasuga Saemon,

All this talk about foreigners and their religion has me curious. As you are clearly one of the more open converts here in the capital. I desire to understand it better. Perhaps see if it is compatible with the virtues of Bushido. Therefore, if you are able to, please send me what is considered the greatest works of your faith.

With Regards,

Hijikata Toshizō

Ramba Ral fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 8, 2014

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Matsudaira Sadaaki 松平 定敬 (S)
Daimyo-in-Exile of Kuwana

They say that a Samurai is much like his Sword.
And that a General is much like his Soldiers.
And that a Daimyo is much like his Generals.
And that a Shogun is much like his Daimyo.
And that our commander-in-chief, the President, is much like a Shogun.

Between all of these, the same principles of strength apply. One would not want to charge into battle under a weak general, just as they would not want to charge in with a broken sword. And if your sword serves you well, you do not want to be forced to replace it unless you have found one that is better.

Understanding these principles, it becomes clear that the forced term limits threaten to put us in a less than advantageous position. Tell me, why should we be forced to abandon our commander-in-chief, and force him to abandon us, merely because a few years have passed?

In practical terms, President Enomoto has proven himself to be a strong leader with sound policies. It would be a mistake to force him to step down.

As such I hereby submit to congress:

Bill Submitted to Congress by Matsudaira Sadaaki: Presidential Term Limits Act
That, before the the Election of 1877, Congress shall amend the Constitution of the Ezo Republic so that Term Limits for the office of President shall be abolished.
End of Bill

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

- Kim Il-Sung

I would like to say that the president's plan to mount a move against Sado would be beneficial. It is no rumor that the illegitimate government of the mainland has been courting German made ships. We need to find a way to be able to hamper their efforts. They will be using the gold, of course, to purchase that. If we can take the island, we will have the gold to be able to fund and help our efforts in reclaiming the mainland. The other territories are good but I rather we try and focus our efforts on the biggest threat to our continued survival.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

After consultation and having listened to the opinions of many of our finest minds, I have come to the decision. I charge Arai Ikunosuke, Naval Minister, with preparing and leading the invasion of Sado Island, in order to both secure its gold mines as well as to deny this source of gold and silver to the Meiji. This attack will be glorious, and when we succeed, we shall have an armed fortress from which we can strike out at our enemies, easily defensible considering our command of the seas.

When examining Sado Island, one notices that there are two mountain ranges, like the wings of a butterfly. The gold mine is located near the port of Aikawa, in the western mountains. In the central valley, productive and fertile farms support a local population. In the south, the port of Ogi is another region that would need to be controlled to ensure our domination. I task the Naval Minister, in concert with Army Minister Otori Keisuke, with seizing these three key regions and producing a plan for the island's continued defense. I also call upon Captain Thomas Blakiston to show us his vaunted skills by preparing a plan to modernize and develop the mining on this island. While production has indeed slackened in recent years, we have heard much of the skill of these foreigners. Allow us to reap the benefits of this mine and you shall be rewarded greatly. This is your task gentlemen, I charge you with carrying it out!

I also hereby recognize the Presidential Term Limits Act as presented by the honorable Matsudaira Sadaaki and thank him for his trust in my abilities. I have instructed the members of our own Republican Faction to vote with their consciences on the matter. Contingent upon the passage of the bill, I hereby offer myself for the position of President. At the current moment I am the sole candidate. I encourage another candidate to stand forth, and enter into a debate with me regarding the future of the Ezo Republic. Hai!

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

I will set out to do what is tasked to me. May our troops be victorious over the usurpers and the wealth we recover from Sado make our republic stronger and more capable.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Captain Thomas Blakiston

It is my duty to make clear that I do not, either personally or as a representative of the British Empire, condone this invasion of Sado. I am a lover of peace, and it saddens me that it seems unachievable at this point. As a foreigner, however, I naturally do not wish to interfere in the foreign policy of the Republic.

All of that said, if the island is taken I will have no objection to, as a private citizen, assisting in the modernization of its gold mine. I hope this means that the government is also considering my offer to engage in surveying for mineral wealth here in Ezo as well. For all any of us know, there could be massive gold deposits under our very feet!

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

An amendment of the bill submitted to congress by Nagai Naoyuki: Budget (Changes noted with underlines)

Bakuhan Taisei tax structure:
0% tax on bushi (0) (samurai)
20% tax on nōmin (10) (peasants, farmers, and food producers)
33% tax on ko (9) (non-land based workers)
40% tax on chōnin (9) (merchants)

Total Income: 28/quarter

Debt
Debt: 60 at (10% interest quarterly)
--- 50 owed to French creditors
--- 10 owed to British creditors

Government Expenditures:

Internal Security: 5
Samurai Stipends: 6
Army Maintenance: 2 + 1 = 3
Navy Maintenance: 3 + 2 = 5
Debt Repayments: 6 + 1 = 7
Census and Survey of Ezo: 1 (This will only last so long as the survey lasts)
Farm Improvement Program: 1

Free Credits: 6 - 6 = 0

End of Bill

stalin-chan posted:

(according to JosefStalinator we need to actually propose projects and spend the extra credits the army/navy gets in the budget otherwise it just goes to waste mechanically (it just gives everyone raises) army/navy magistrate should talk to me about possible projects if we wanna justify this increase in budget)

The Farm Improvement Program is designed to import modern, high quality farm tools, seeds and machines from America. These things will be sold by the government at cost to those who can immediately afford it and at a low interest rate to those who would lease them or buy seeds in advance of next season's harvest. It is hoped that eventually, the interest from this program would make it self-sustaining as the farmers of the island all adopt modern agricultural tools and supplies.

The Army's budget increase I will leave it to the Minister of the Army to requisition, but higher salaries is not an acceptable use of his increased budget.

The Navy's budget increase should go to an expansion of our fleet and the construction of defenses on Sado Island, I will leave it to the Naval Minister to come up with a specific plan for which sorts of ships or defenses would best serve us.

I'm aware that with this budget, our debt repayment will not move as quickly as before, however I believe that expanding our capability to make money through farming and the rightful seizure of Sado Island will allow us to repay our debt all the faster in the end.

I also wish to thank the most honorable Nagai Naoyuki for his work on the budget, and admonish the Congress for a lack of any debate or comment on the budget or the proposal of any specific projects. If we wish to have a situation of equality within Congress between the samurai, then you all must take a more active part and make more proposals of your own. At the worst it will be rejected, but I would not like to see any here lose face in such a way, negotiation is the key.

The Republican Party, or those who follow me, will SUPPORT Minister Nagai's Opium Ban Bill.

Litos
Feb 2, 2013

We would be honored to carry our state's banner into the regions and liberate Sado from its occupiers. In light of the proposal of an army project above, the doubling of the force instead of an untraditional increase in Samurai, we ask that the government perhaps consider holding to the initial proposition of 4 credits for the army, though 5 for the navy is a generous, positive, and well-needed development. Without a force of around 10,000, the defense of the mainland and simultaneous charges against Sado will be unmanageable, and there seems to be a misunderstanding in which our proposal may have gone unnoticed; we do not intend to waste a cent. We humbly ask the government consider our proposal.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Proposition Joe posted:

Matsumae Takahiro is incredibly misguided with this statements. There are many Japanese who follow the word of God and their loyalty to our history, their fellow people, and their true government is not to be questioned. Many Japenese Christians have served and died for this country and I will not tolerate an oafish or incompetent Meiji sympathizer like yourself to make any further statements. Takahiro would prefer to let our Republic sit around and do nothing while the Meiji usurpers build up to destroy us. Following his words would lead to our doom.

Matsumae Takahiro

Yes, many Christian followers are certainly loyal to this government... but where do the members' of the government loyalty lies? It is not a secret that some of them openly hate our culture and would rather see us a Western colony than an independent country. Particularly our Foreign Minister, who since beginning of his tenure does nothing but agitates against anything that could bring wealth to Ezochi without indebting us to the Western creditors. You call me a Meiji sympathizer, but I never spoke a word about the Republic's military plans, unlike the Merchant in your government. Does it not bother you, when while you make plans to land on Sado, the very person responsible for talks with foreign governments openly speaks against your plan?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Opium is an insidious weapon that the foreign devils are spreading in our land to chain the minds and bodies of the honourable japanese samurai, thus making them more susceptable to the blade of the foreigner and the insidious lure of the cross.

Sakoku-ha unreservedly supports the opium ban bill

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Gantolandon posted:

Matsumae Takahiro

Yes, many Christian followers are certainly loyal to this government... but where do the members' of the government loyalty lies? It is not a secret that some of them openly hate our culture and would rather see us a Western colony than an independent country. Particularly our Foreign Minister, who since beginning of his tenure does nothing but agitates against anything that could bring wealth to Ezochi without indebting us to the Western creditors. You call me a Meiji sympathizer, but I never spoke a word about the Republic's military plans, unlike the Merchant in your government. Does it not bother you, when while you make plans to land on Sado, the very person responsible for talks with foreign governments openly speaks against your plan?

You should tread carefully if you would impugn the loyalty of the men who serve me and this Republic. You might consider thinking carefully upon this matter. I asked the Foreign Minister, and all Samurai who are members of this congress, for their opinions as to my plans, that the best plan might be chosen. Do you think that this government would work better if its Congressmen and true samurai withheld their viewpoints and told me what they thought I wanted to hear? You would be wise, Matsumae-sama, to speak calmly and apologize to the men whose loyalty you impugned so casually, or there will be consequences according to the ancient traditions we all hold so dearly, Christian or otherwise.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Fall Sick and Die posted:

You should tread carefully if you would impugn the loyalty of the men who serve me and this Republic. You might consider thinking carefully upon this matter. I asked the Foreign Minister, and all Samurai who are members of this congress, for their opinions as to my plans, that the best plan might be chosen. Do you think that this government would work better if its Congressmen and true samurai withheld their viewpoints and told me what they thought I wanted to hear? You would be wise, Matsumae-sama, to speak calmly and apologize to the men whose loyalty you impugned so casually, or there will be consequences according to the ancient traditions we all hold so dearly, Christian or otherwise.

Very well. I apologize to Hayashi Tadasu-san for doubting his commitment to the Ezo Republic, if you, Mr. President, are trusting him so much.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Hayashi Tadasu

I accept your apology Matsumae Takahiro-san. I will bear no ill-will between the servants of this great nation of ours. Know that all I do, I do for the benefit of Ezo. I have no desire to see our peoples indebted to foreign powers, but instead aim for our nation to possess the means and knowledge to better defend themselves and enrich their families. All our peoples, whether native to this island or otherwise finding themselves here, and regardless of their social status, can feel assured that my primary purpose is to serve them and further their interests as best I can. Right now, I feel that those interests are best served in gaining the means to better defend and develop ourselves. This necessitates an increase in communications between ourselves and other powers, but rest assured that these communications are two-way, and I have no intention of Ezo becoming a puppet state or colony to any other nation.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
A quick reminder that turns are due by Sunday 11:59PM CST (UTC -6).

I would also ask that everyone include both their SA name and their player name in their turn orders, so that we know who the hell you are. If you already sent one, it's alright, just do it next time.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 9, 2014

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Kasuga Saemon (S)

Kasuga Saemon's Reply posted:

To the Honorable Hijikata Toshizō,

I was humbled and honored by your recent letter, Hijikata, and when I read it I took to my desk and swiftly began this small work. In all things, the Gospels, those accounts of the life and miracles of Our Lord, are the most noble, strong, and uplifting works of our faith. Though according to my housekeeper I do my best to do without rest, with the time at my hands I have been able to translate one of our books into our language: the Gospel of John. John was a faithful friend to Our Lord, and his account is the seat of the utmost loyalty and love for his Master. His style is also of the greatest refinement, and few writers I have read approach his ability to succinctly and beautifully explain the truth. I can only hope my own meager hand does little damage to the tapestry I have been handed!

In all things your Brother,
Kasuga Saemon

The attached translation, Latin/Japanese posted:

1:1 太初に言あり、言は神と偕にあり、言は神なりき。
1:2 この言は太初に神とともに在り、
1:3 萬の物これに由りて成り、成りたる物に一つとして之によらで成りたるはなし。
1:4 之に生命あり、この生命は人の光なりき。
1:5 光は暗黒に照る、而して暗黒は之を悟らざりき。
[The work continues until the end of the Gospel]
EDIT:

Letter to Thomas Blakiston, Horace Capron, Erwin Belz & Jules Brunet posted:

Honorable Sirs,
With the greatest respect I pen these lines to you, sirs. The good you have done for our people here in Ezo is without compare, and every day I hear men speak your praises. You are each and all men of refinement, strength of mind, and courtesy, and we as a country are lucky to have you as friends. I write this letter with a simple request - knowing that you are men of wide circles, I wonder if you might help me in getting in touch with the writing-houses of your countries. I have in mind some small works, and have begun work on them, and I believe that they might enrich not just the literature of Japan, but also bring to the West a new language and way of approaching poetry. If you might reply to me, I would be honored.
Your Brother,
Kasuga Saemon
Shogeton, mcclay, I don't see you on IRC, if you want to email me your response, that works too!

Friar John fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 9, 2014

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

I and my colleagues support the budget ideas proposed by the president, and also for that matter the constitutional amendment regarding term limits and the opium ban.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Since we currently have no official government legal representative, until I can find and appoint a cabinet-level Attorney General I will present my own view of the law, point by point:

Gantolandon posted:

1. Most of the holdings of the clan, including the magnificent Fukuyama Castle, have been taken away from the clan.
2. The members of the clan have been stripped of their samurai status, which denied them their privileges and voting rights.

We claim this act to be not only unjust, but also fundamentally incompatible with the constitution this government claims to cherish so much, on the following basis:

1. It has been passed before the constitution, the basis of the law of the Republic, was even drafted.
You are asking for a law to be declared unconstitutional before the constitution was passed. There were many actions which took place before our constitution, it is not the place of the court to make the past fit the constitution, but the existing laws.
2. The act interferes with several rights later guaranteed by the constitution.
See above
3. By inflicting punishment, the Congress usurped themselves the right reserved to the courts.
See above
4. The wording of the act claims that the Matsumae clan has committed "treason" against the Republic, despite the fact that the clan has never harmed the republican forces after it was officially established and the constitution - the basis of its law - drafted.
See above

I do not believe the courts have the ability to change the past, nor to comment on a law which does not exist at this time. Your status was stripped, along with your castles, yet I don't believe the law currently prevents you from being samurai if you were to be adopted by other clans, the law didn't declare the Matsumae could never be samurai again, it was a one-time act.

If Congress has the right to decide who is or is not a samurai then I believe this would require a new bill to grant this status and transfer government property to the Matsumae. I would not be opposed to such a bill personally if the clan leader would draft it and be open to negotiation, but I leave this matter for the court to decide.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Final Budget Proposal (Changes noted with underlines)

Bakuhan Taisei tax structure:
0% tax on bushi (0) (samurai)
20% tax on nōmin (10) (peasants, farmers, and food producers)
33% tax on ko (9) (non-land based workers)
40% tax on chōnin (9) (merchants)

Total Income: 28/quarter

Debt
Debt: 60 at (10% interest quarterly)
--- 50 owed to French creditors
--- 10 owed to British creditors

Government Expenditures:

Internal Security: 5
Samurai Stipends: 6
Army Maintenance: 2 + 1 = 3
Navy Maintenance: 3 + 6 = 9
Debt Repayments: 6 - 2 = 4
Census and Survey of Ezo: 1 (This will only last so long as the survey lasts)
Farm Improvement Program: 1
Free Credits: 6 - 6 = 0

The increase in the budget for the navy will be used to purchase 3 frigates from the French. These frigates are top of the line, superior to those being delivered to the Meiji usurpers. These frigates are completely necessary to the nation. We must begin building them now, because the Meiji frigates are scheduled to be completed next year as well. If we lose our control of the seas, whether you support non-interference or a return to retake the nation, the Meiji support our destruction and the moment the naval balance is in their favor, a hundred thousand peasant conscripts will stream across the narrow strait and end all that we have been building here. I apologize to the Finance Minister for not being able to discuss this with him in more detail. Our goals are the same, to repay the debt owed to others, yet if the nation is destroyed, our debts will be meaningless. In the future, should I carry the vote for President, I will not seek to step on his toes and leave the matter of formulating the budget to him, though I would like some discretionary funding left open for projects of worth, such as the survey and farm tools program.

(OOC: P.S. I found the memoirs of Horace Capron, https://archive.org/details/CAT30983447, and Thomas Blakiston wrote a book called 'Japan in Yezo' which I'm trying to find a real scanned copy of rather than the word-mangled scans. Also saw this which might be interesting for the Ainu guy, BrainParasite... http://scholar.harvard.edu/files/dhowell/files/making_useful_citizens_of_ainu_subects_in_early_twentieth-century_japan.pdf)

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 9, 2014

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Fall Sick and Die posted:

You are asking for a law to be declared unconstitutional before the constitution was passed. There were many actions which took place before our constitution, it is not the place of the court to make the past fit the constitution, but the existing laws.

I do not believe the courts have the ability to change the past, nor to comment on a law which does not exist at this time. Your status was stripped, along with your castles, yet I don't believe the law currently prevents you from being samurai if you were to be adopted by other clans, the law didn't declare the Matsumae could never be samurai again, it was a one-time act.

Matsumae Takahiro

This is either incorrect or has really troubling implications. If there was no constitution at this time, what made the decisions of the Congress valid, or even legally binding? The entirety of the act was questionable - it punished us for opposing the government that hasn't been officially established yet and the way it has been done is prohibited by the new constitution. Your stance is that it doesn't matter, because if there was no constitution, the government could have done anything and it would still be legally binding. If this is the case, anytime the government suspends the constitution, it can do pretty much anything, including stripping people of their rights and the changes would apply after the martial law ends.

As for your claim that the decision has been a one-time act that has no lasting results, this is simply not true. Our clan faces the consequences the entire time, including high taxes and inability to vote. Yet the only way for us to regain our status is either begging other clans to adopt us, or appealing the same government that made this decision in the first place. Frankly, this is insulting.

Litos
Feb 2, 2013

In light of the necessary manpower to take the conquests proposed, I forward this bill for the distinguished legislature's consideration:

Appropriations Act of 1877

1. Areas designated by the government for conquest, inclusive of Sado island, are to be divided between supporting areas and non-supporting areas.
2. Specific areas on a case by case basis deemed supporting will be unaffected by this law, though they may receive additional reward for the purpose of expedient conquest. Cities and other areas incompatible with the estates model will be made into supporting areas.
3. Unsupporting areas will be divided into estates by the men in service who have played the bravest role in the conquest of the island and have submit to reduced maintenance programs.
4. Men receiving estates, which will be divided on the basis of merit in combat, will be titled as nobility with full rank and privilege.
5. Conditions will be established for receiving estates; men must accept lower salaries (though not lower quality equipment and supplies) for the time being as conquests complete and submit themselves to further conquests ordered by the rightful authorities of the state.

We hope to attract a large number of eager recruits willing to fight for honor and land instead of slices of the military's budget. Additionally, this will work to reward men for their martial merit and muster the strength of the traditional martial nobility towards the righteous cause of the state.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Matsudaira Sadaaki 松平 定敬 (S)
Daimyo-in-Exile of Kuwana

Is a man a Samurai because he fights?
Or does a man fight because he is a Samurai?

A fool may believe the two statements are equivalent, but in reality the gap between them is as wide as the gap between Samurai and Peasants. Being a member of the nobility is about much more than being a warrior. Samurai families have rich blood, and hundreds of years of martial history. These are things that cannot be earned overnight. Even in the case of men adopted into Samurai clans, it is an extraordinary event that is done because the clan deems them worthy, and is willing to take the risk of shaming their name by taking on a former peasant as one of their own.

We should not have our government indiscriminately handing out titles and nobility to everybody and anybody while we have a country full of exiled daimyo waiting to take back their role as warlords. While I am not opposed to handing out titles based on martial merit, we simply cannot pretend that peasant recruits and esteemed Samurai are equally deserving of rewards. Please, Army Minister, I urge you to reconsider your proposal and bring it more in line with tradition. Don't use this as an opportunity to blur the line between Samurai and peasant warrior and fill our military and nobility with unqualified opportunists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I believe the honourable army minister is endeavouring to dilute what it means to be a samurai through the back door. I cannot support his suggestion, and I urge any man who still thinks that honour and tradition are important to vote against his proposal.

• Locked thread