Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

surc posted:

I think I remember reading that they throttle you on the unlimited once you reach 10TB of data. So, uh, don't back up your hard drive to your phone over their network a bunch, and you should be fine.

that's 30 days straight at 31 megabit. Not impossible on the tmo network, but implausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
So I'm finally ditching Verizon and moving to T-Mobile... I should end up saving a hundred dollars a month. Insane. If I purchase the nerd plan online, at what point do I try to get my current phone number transferred over from Verizon? During checkout? There's a page on the t-mobile site where you can check to see if your number is transferrable, and it says yes, but it's pretty vague as to how or when I actually do it.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Polo-Rican posted:

So I'm finally ditching Verizon and moving to T-Mobile... I should end up saving a hundred dollars a month. Insane. If I purchase the nerd plan online, at what point do I try to get my current phone number transferred over from Verizon? During checkout? There's a page on the t-mobile site where you can check to see if your number is transferrable, and it says yes, but it's pretty vague as to how or when I actually do it.

Ya you request the port during the sign up process, my port went through overnight.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
So I am with Sprint and I've been hating it for years. I'm thinking of jumping to Tmobile with the nerd plan. I saw that there is a deal going on with the Nexus 5. Can I actually buy the phone by itself from Tmobile or do they only sell with plans?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Drevoak posted:

So I am with Sprint and I've been hating it for years. I'm thinking of jumping to Tmobile with the nerd plan. I saw that there is a deal going on with the Nexus 5. Can I actually buy the phone by itself from Tmobile or do they only sell with plans?

The monthly repayment option is only for the $50/60/70 plans. Prepaid has to bring their own device. Also, Google is selling the 16GB Nexus 5 for $350 which is $50 off of T-Mobile's sale price.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

gariig posted:

The monthly repayment option is only for the $50/60/70 plans. Prepaid has to bring their own device. Also, Google is selling the 16GB Nexus 5 for $350 which is $50 off of T-Mobile's sale price.

The problem is google says they ship out in 2-3 weeks. Plus with Tmo you can just treat it as a regular priced nexus 5 and the wireless charger for $22.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I'm on T-Mobile prepaid, specifically the unlimited dada/100 minute pan. Is there any way for me to use Google Voice? Right now I only have access to a special number to check voicemail, and when someone leaves me a message I have to use some of my minutes to retrieve them.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

b0nes posted:

I'm on T-Mobile prepaid, specifically the unlimited dada/100 minute pan. Is there any way for me to use Google Voice? Right now I only have access to a special number to check voicemail, and when someone leaves me a message I have to use some of my minutes to retrieve them.

You can use the Google Voice app. There's also an iOS app. You can check at https://google.com/voice

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

b0nes posted:

I know you meant to type "unlimited data" but I'm imaging that T-Mobile now comes with avant-garde advertising.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

gariig posted:

You can use the Google Voice app. There's also an iOS app. You can check at https://google.com/voice

Can anyone confirm that Google voice works with the prepaid plans? I've been googling this and I've been getting a lot of mixed answers about it.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Burden posted:

I use anywhere from 10 to 15 gigs a month and never been slowed down. I see customers who use 25 gigs regularly and have never been throttled. So you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I do a LOT of Internet usage outside of an office or home environment. I pull down 100-500GB per month, regularly, and still no throttling.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Drevoak posted:

Can anyone confirm that Google voice works with the prepaid plans? I've been googling this and I've been getting a lot of mixed answers about it.

Do you mean conditional call forwarding? Where you cellphone provider will forward to a phone number instead of sending a number to voice mail? No it doesn't work on T-Mobile prepaid because conditional call forwarding is not enabled. If someone calls your Google Voice number most of the time the call will route to your Google Voice voice mail.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Drevoak posted:

What do you mean by "works with?" Texting works as long as you have data. Calling on GV is really just calling Google with your normal phone number and they forward the call to the number you want. You can also set up SMS to use forwarding so that you don't need data, but it will give your contacts screwy numbers. If you're talking about using GV as your voicemail for your T-Mobile number, that will not work as T-Mobile won't let you do the forwarding on prepaid plans.

I ported my phone number to GV so I still get voicemails and can check them without calling.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

gariig posted:

I know about the app, but how does it hook into the voicemail system? I am dialing a separate number to check my voicemail, not my own.
Edit: it doesn't work for T-mobile Prepaid.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

b0nes posted:

I know about the app, but how does it hook into the voicemail system? I am dialing a separate number to check my voicemail, not my own.
Edit: it doesn't work for T-mobile Prepaid.

It works with prepaid. I have the $30 T-Mo plan. All you have to do (if you have this plan) is call T-Mo and tell them to disable your voicemail. That way, GV will pick up the call.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

hotsauce posted:

It works with prepaid. I have the $30 T-Mo plan. All you have to do (if you have this plan) is call T-Mo and tell them to disable your voicemail. That way, GV will pick up the call.
Only if they call your GV number. If they call your T-Mobile number they'll get RNA.

e: Unless you answer.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Only if they call your GV number. If they call your T-Mobile number they'll get RNA.

True. This begs the question: if you use GV as your number, why would you even know your prepaid throwaway number? Guess it's up to each person if they ever give that out. I surely don't.

\/ \/ Thanks for the grammar lesson. What I learned is that everyone uses GV and their prepaid number differently. Cool! My point is GV voicemail can pick up the call if you disable T-Mo's prepaid voicemail. It gets further complicated if you give out your number for 2005-esque MMS messaging. If you go that route, things will be confusing and you might as well stop being so cheap and pay for a proper cell plan I guess.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 6, 2014

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

hotsauce posted:

True. This begs the question: if you use GV as your number, why would you even know your prepaid throwaway number? Guess it's up to each person if they ever give that out. I surely don't.
http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/begs.html
I give my T-Mobile number to my friends for MMS and also SMS when I'm in an area with no data. I hate that I can't tell when a call is coming from Google Voice or not because I get a couple of calls every week for whatever idiot had my T-Mobile number previously.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/begs.html
I give my T-Mobile number to my friends for MMS and also SMS when I'm in an area with no data. I hate that I can't tell when a call is coming from Google Voice or not because I get a couple of calls every week for whatever idiot had my T-Mobile number previously.

For areas with no data, you can set Google Voice to forward texts. You can reply to Google's texts and it they forward it as though you'd sent it from your GV number. I use this all the time in the roaming and no-data zones, and I still don't need anyone to know my T-Mobile number.

MMS though, yeah; I guess you can't have everything.

edit: vvv sorry, guess I just spaced out on you mentioning this

vote_no fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 7, 2014

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

vote_no posted:

For areas with no data, you can set Google Voice to forward texts. You can reply to Google's texts and it they forward it as though you'd sent it from your GV number. I use this all the time in the roaming and no-data zones, and I still don't need anyone to know my T-Mobile number.
I know about this (and even mentioned it earlier) but I'm lazy and don't want to bother with matching up all my contacts to the number that GV assigns to them, so they can just deal with me texting them from another number when I'm out on the lake.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

If they call my prepaid number and I dont answer what happens? Not sure what RNA means.
I'm just tired of people leaving voicemails then it costs me minutes to retrieve them and they aren't even important.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

b0nes posted:

If they call my prepaid number and I dont answer what happens? Not sure what RNA means.
I'm just tired of people leaving voicemails then it costs me minutes to retrieve them and they aren't even important.
Sorry! It's a telecom phrase short for "ring no answer." Usually it refers to a land line that's got a problem like open out (broken cable) and if you call it you just hear ringing and nothing happens on the other end. In your case it will still ring your phone, but they'll just hear ringing until they give up or you answer.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

So I am a little lost as what to do. I switched to TM about a month ago, and I am loving the service. When I switched I purchased a iphone 5s.

For the past few months I have been having crazy headaches and it turns out that its because my eyes don't focus correctly. My right eye focuses up and to the right of where my left one does. This is 99% of the time not an issue, but when looking at small text close up, I get wicked headaches. This becomes very obvious when I look at my iphone for any amount of time.

I was going to switch to a note 3, s5 (when it comes out), or the new nexus phone. I went back to the store and they said they could give me 350 for my 5s that is 3 weeks old. Obviously that is not what I wanted to hear.

What is my best path for selling/tradeing my phone?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

iPHones have a 30-day return policy.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Can't you increase the font?

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

PaganGoatPants posted:

Can't you increase the font?

That does not look to work on All apps. It does help on the ones that that it does support though.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

iPHones have a 30-day return policy.

Is that through apple or tmobile? At the TM store they said my only option would be to trade it in. If I return to the apple store how do I keep my phone number?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

badjohny posted:

Is that through apple or tmobile? At the TM store they said my only option would be to trade it in. If I return to the apple store how do I keep my phone number?

T-Mobile store is 14 days regardless of the device.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Burden posted:

T-Mobile store is 14 days regardless of the device.

Crud. Looks like I live with it, or sell in SA mart :). Thanks for the help.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I think Tmobile has a $50 restocking fee though

Wtgamerz
Jan 5, 2005

I tolerate this century
Question about the EFT program.

My wife's iphone 4s went out of contract last october and my galaxy s4 is still under contract with AT&T till may 2015.

Do I have to trade in my phone to get the etf payoff since it's my line that would have the ET fee? Or can we trade in my wife's iphone, get credit towards her new phone, then get the etf credit?

Even with subsidizing a new phone on the t mobile plan, we would be paying less per month than at&t, and we live in DfW so I believe we get really good 4g lte coverage.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

badjohny posted:

Crud. Looks like I live with it, or sell in SA mart :). Thanks for the help.

A 5S locked to T-Mobile will net you about $550 on Swappa.com for "still in good-as-new" condition. (Possibly more or less depending on the storage capacity.) That'd more than cover the cost of a Nexus 5, or get you a long ways towards an unlocked Note 3 if you want to take that route.

(I'd suggest trying out the Nexus 5 before you buy it, though, if your concern is with small text. Just in case.)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Wtgamerz posted:

Question about the EFT program.

My wife's iphone 4s went out of contract last october and my galaxy s4 is still under contract with AT&T till may 2015.

Do I have to trade in my phone to get the etf payoff since it's my line that would have the ET fee? Or can we trade in my wife's iphone, get credit towards her new phone, then get the etf credit?

Even with subsidizing a new phone on the t mobile plan, we would be paying less per month than at&t, and we live in DfW so I believe we get really good 4g lte coverage.

I might be wrong, but I think you just need to trade in a phone. Either way, I would check with T-Mobile to see what the trade in values of the phones are first. They say up to $300, but they offered me $70 for my 32GB GSM iPhone 4 which I passed on, I could sell it for more money on eBay if I wanted to get rid of it.

Wtgamerz
Jan 5, 2005

I tolerate this century
My ETF would be $245, so even though I wouldnt get as much as I could other places for her phone, it would be worth it if they would give us credit towards a new phone, and pay off that $245.

Puweyxil
Oct 19, 2001
I like to eat cheese.
Dinosaur Gum
I have an ancient "Even More Plus for Families 750" plan with two lines, both with "T-Mobile Android Unlimited Web". It seems to be slightly cheaper than the current Simple Choice family plan with 2 lines of unlimited data: $110 vs $120. Is there any reason I would want to change plans? We never come close to reaching 750 minutes.

One reason I see is for the free international text/data offered with the Simple Choice plans. I live close to the Canadian border and probably spend at least a week a year over there. It'd be nice to have data and not feel ripped off every time I sent a text, but probably not $120 a year nice. Is there a better option for getting data in a foreign land besides the T-Mobile's international roaming data passes? (Which is $25 for 7 days and 200 MB).

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I spent around 90 minutes on the phone with t-mobile trying to get the Moto X I ordered on the nerd plan, and got absolutely nowhere. If anyone reading this thread is thinking of ordering a Moto X and jumping onto the nerd plan, make sure you order an extra SIM from t-mobile, because without the "activation code" new sims come with it's basically impossible to sign up.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Polo-Rican posted:

I spent around 90 minutes on the phone with t-mobile trying to get the Moto X I ordered on the nerd plan, and got absolutely nowhere. If anyone reading this thread is thinking of ordering a Moto X and jumping onto the nerd plan, make sure you order an extra SIM from t-mobile, because without the "activation code" new sims come with it's basically impossible to sign up.

Or, go to a corporate store. There's no hassle and no charge, they take your info and give you a properly-sized SIM tied to your account.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Should have also mentioned that I'm a new t-mobile customer, trying to switch over from Verizon, so I don't have an account yet. Also thought that the nerd plan was online / wal-mart only? They seem pretty insistent on that.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

Should have also mentioned that I'm a new t-mobile customer, trying to switch over from Verizon, so I don't have an account yet. Also thought that the nerd plan was online / wal-mart only? They seem pretty insistent on that.
It is. You can get an activation kit from the store but they might charge you for it. When I did it I paid them for the kit and set it up in the store using the browser on my Verizon phone. I'm guessing you can port your number after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Looks like Sprint might be giving up on trying to buy T-Mobile. Now we just need to worry about DISH since for some reason they seem to really think they need to operate a cell carrier.