Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tacier posted:

Does buying from a discount site mean I won't get a warranty on my chair though?

Pretty much yes. All used chair sales break warranties, and there's a lot of internet retailers that are selling new chairs even though they're not authorized dealers - usually they've struck a deal with an actual authorized dealer behind the manufacturers' back, or it's an "open box" situation where a bunch of unsold product is being unloaded - and that breaks the warranty as well.

Again, buyer beware with internet retailers, especially on used chairs. Plenty of people have gotten great stuff from sites like Madison Seating, but also plenty have been screwed with no recourse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Pretty much yes. All used chair sales break warranties, and there's a lot of internet retailers that are selling new chairs even though they're not authorized dealers - usually they've struck a deal with an actual authorized dealer behind the manufacturers' back, or it's an "open box" situation where a bunch of unsold product is being unloaded - and that breaks the warranty as well.

Again, buyer beware with internet retailers, especially on used chairs. Plenty of people have gotten great stuff from sites like Madison Seating, but also plenty have been screwed with no recourse.

Okay, thanks. Maybe I'll suck it up and pay full price for the peace of mind then. Is Steelcase pretty good about honoring their warranties without hassle? I've read great things about Herman Miller's customer service but I don't recall seeing anyone's experience dealing with Steelcase.

Chow-King
May 24, 2003

"I could kiss you on the nuts."
So Steelcase is having their semi-annual 15% off sale right now.

http://store.steelcase.com

Rotten Red, if you could choose between the Gesture or the Leap and money wasn't an object, which would win out?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Chow-King posted:

Rotten Red, if you could choose between the Gesture or the Leap and money wasn't an object, which would win out?

Gesture. I tried it at a trade show and was very impressed. The Leap is good, but the Gesture is great.

Duck and Cover posted:

Anyone here try both the Embody and the Gesture?

Missed this post - the Embody is probably the best ergonomic chair on the market, but even for that it's ludicrously overpriced. If money is no object, get an Embody - but the Gesture is a fine second choice.

I expect to see Herman Miller unloading some Embodies at lower prices over the next few years. They just aren't selling and they'll want to unload inventory, even at a loss. But even then don't expect sub-$900 prices.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 4, 2014

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Chow-King posted:

The Gesture is excluded from that sale. Fun fact (well not really fun) the polished aluminium Gesture base is a $90 premium while the Embody's is $240 seems like a rip off to me.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 4, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Some Steelcase chairs I can see why they cost what they do. Other chairs, it's just confusing. How does the cobi cost 400 dollars? That thing is a piece of poo poo.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Some Steelcase chairs I can see why they cost what they do. Other chairs, it's just confusing. How does the cobi cost 400 dollars? That thing is a piece of poo poo.

People will pay a lot for a chair that LOOKS cool, especially for a conference room. Also, sometimes they're under contract with Steelcase (or Herman Miller, or Allsteel, etc.) to outfit an entire office building with panels, offices, furniture, desks, etc. and the seating is just tacked on there. So crap like that often totally slips under the radar.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We have steelcase furniture and the desks and cabinets and actual task chairs are all good. But the other fringe areas of seating are weird as poo poo. They are all plastic and rubber and are terrible to sit on. There's one chair that's all mesh and the seat and back swivel separately.

Chow-King
May 24, 2003

I'm looking to pick up a quick-ship Steelcase Gesture but it comes with carpet casters. My house has hard wood floors and I need hard floor casters. I have some on my current chair that I could replace it with but I'm not to sure if it'll fit. Anyone with a Gesture care to measure dimensions of their casters?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

So what's the best price people have gotten a new Embody for? (percentage off seeing as options vary)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I am in Canada, but I think mine was $850 or something like that +tax shipped to my door. It was the standard black/black config.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oh I love these name your own price things all the fun of car dealerships without having to leave bed.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Chow-King posted:

I'm looking to pick up a quick-ship Steelcase Gesture but it comes with carpet casters. My house has hard wood floors and I need hard floor casters. I have some on my current chair that I could replace it with but I'm not to sure if it'll fit. Anyone with a Gesture care to measure dimensions of their casters?

I ordered mine as a quick-ship and I have hardwood floors as well. The carpet casters don't seem to harm the floor and it doesn't move any time I don't want it to.

At this point, ship times for the custom chairs are only a couple days behind the quick-ship configs, so it would probably be easiest to just order the chair the way you want it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

In my experience it won't hurt the floors right away but over time it'll wear down the edges of the wood. Of course that may be because my floors aren't exactly level from one plank to the next. Get the hardwood casters, or one of those smells like death mat thingies.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 10, 2014

Chow-King
May 24, 2003

TheJeffers posted:

I ordered mine as a quick-ship and I have hardwood floors as well. The carpet casters don't seem to harm the floor and it doesn't move any time I don't want it to.

At this point, ship times for the custom chairs are only a couple days behind the quick-ship configs, so it would probably be easiest to just order the chair the way you want it.

Did your Gesture come with adjustable lumbar support? I see it as a $20 option on other sites, like sit4life.com, but I don't see it offered on Steelcase's website. Sit4life.com doesn't charge sales tax so I'm leaning towards purchasing in that direction but I don't want to pay an extra $20 bucks if it's not really an option offered by Steelcase on their Gestures.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Chow-King posted:

Did your Gesture come with adjustable lumbar support? I see it as a $20 option on other sites, like sit4life.com, but I don't see it offered on Steelcase's website. Sit4life.com doesn't charge sales tax so I'm leaning towards purchasing in that direction but I don't want to pay an extra $20 bucks if it's not really an option offered by Steelcase on their Gestures.

Smartfurniture has a better return policy and claims to price match.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Chow-King posted:

Mine didn't and I've never seen it offered as an option on any of Steelcase's websites or brochures, so it's probably just a templating error on Sit4Life's part.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TheJeffers posted:

I ordered one last week as well, and I can't wait for the thing to get here now. I've had nothing but lovely officemax specials forever, so I'm F5-ing the poo poo out of my order status page waiting for it to get here.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Does the Leap v2 come with adjustable lumbar support as a standard feature? I'm about to pull the trigger on one from the Steelcase website, but I'm seeing adjustable lumbar listed as an optional feature in the Steelcase product guide. The Steelcase order page doesn't mention it at all.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf
Would anyone here be able to identify a Steelcase chair simply by a photo?

If so, I would appreciate it if someone could let me know which Steelcase model this chair looks to be:

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/fuo/4273724664.html

To me it resembles a Leap but looks cheaper than the other images I've seen online which makes me hesitant.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

HONKER24 posted:

Would anyone here be able to identify a Steelcase chair simply by a photo?

If so, I would appreciate it if someone could let me know which Steelcase model this chair looks to be:

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/fuo/4273724664.html

To me it resembles a Leap but looks cheaper than the other images I've seen online which makes me hesitant.
Definitely looks like a Leap v2, based on the arms and what can be made out from the pictures. I don't know where they got the "$300 new" from, maybe they just don't actually know what they have? I'd check out the sticker underneath or ask for a picture of it to make absolutely sure though.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
Quick question.

What do you guys think would be wiser? I simply need a comfortable chair that will not cause back pain while sitting in it for about 4-6 hours a day (like my current one is).

I could buy one of the nicer chairs from DXRacer http://www.dxracer.com/ . I am aware these are the 'Beats by Dre' of computer chairs. It's just a nice price point.

Or I could buy a leap from madison: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leap-Chair-V2-Model-by-Steelcase-NEW-/121001908837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2c469a65 and roll the dice and see what happens.

Anyone?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I ended up buying a Leap for $755. Goodbye tax refund (and back pain, hopefully). I'm really looking forward to an office chair with a left armrest that doesn't noisily collapse at random intervals.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Also considering the Leap. Tax return plus $350 in Amazon gift cards will make it a great deal. Is this one the Leap v2? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006H1QYBA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p201_d0_i1

There's also this, but there's no reviews on it. They both seem to be imported from Mexico... is that... normal? Should I just buy it from the Steelcase site?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Commander Keenan posted:

Also considering the Leap. Tax return plus $350 in Amazon gift cards will make it a great deal. Is this one the Leap v2? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006H1QYBA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p201_d0_i1

There's also this, but there's no reviews on it. They both seem to be imported from Mexico... is that... normal? Should I just buy it from the Steelcase site?
Yeah that is a v2. Actually now that I think of it, I don't know where the v2 comes from, Steelcase doesn't really specify on any of their product pages. It's just the second version of the leap chair, and you can see they have square arms and a bunch of improvements over the v1, which looks like this:

It seems the Leaps are all manufactured elsewhere now, in this case Mexico. My used one was from 2007 and was made in the US, so they must have stopped doing that within the last few years.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Definitely looks like a Leap v2, based on the arms and what can be made out from the pictures. I don't know where they got the "$300 new" from, maybe they just don't actually know what they have? I'd check out the sticker underneath or ask for a picture of it to make absolutely sure though.
Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

teknologik posted:

Quick question.

What do you guys think would be wiser? I simply need a comfortable chair that will not cause back pain while sitting in it for about 4-6 hours a day (like my current one is).

I could buy one of the nicer chairs from DXRacer http://www.dxracer.com/ . I am aware these are the 'Beats by Dre' of computer chairs. It's just a nice price point.

Or I could buy a leap from madison: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leap-Chair-V2-Model-by-Steelcase-NEW-/121001908837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2c469a65 and roll the dice and see what happens.

Anyone?

What adjustments do those DXRacer chairs have? They look pretty gimmicky.

Just based on what I see there, go with the Leap - even buying form Madison seating, that's less risky.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah that is a v2. Actually now that I think of it, I don't know where the v2 comes from, Steelcase doesn't really specify on any of their product pages. It's just the second version of the leap chair, and you can see they have square arms and a bunch of improvements over the v1, which looks like this:

For a while, when the V2 was new, Steelcase was selling both the V1 and V2, and freely using those designations to differentiate the two chairs. Now that they've fully phased out the V1 they just bill the V2 as the Leap, so you won't see it on any of their official marketing. But the used market needs a way to tell the two chairs apart so they continue to use them.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 13, 2014

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What adjustments do those DXRacer chairs have? They look pretty gimmicky.

Just based on what I see there, go with the Leap - even buying form Madison seating, that's less risky.

The DXRacer says the 'Height and angle of the chair.' There are models that also have adjustable arm rests. The complaint I hear about DX Racer chairs is they are not as adjustable as a $600+ chair. Most actual reviews of them seem positive though.

They are invested into advertising and promotion through the e-sports scene. Thats why they look a bit gimmicky.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

teknologik posted:

The DXRacer says the 'Height and angle of the chair.' There are models that also have adjustable arm rests. The complaint I hear about DX Racer chairs is they are not as adjustable as a $600+ chair. Most actual reviews of them seem positive though.

They are invested into advertising and promotion through the e-sports scene. Thats why they look a bit gimmicky.

Yeah I'm gonna say avoid those DXRacer chairs. Unless they can really specifically spell out what those adjustments are, their ergonomic value is dubious. The Leap is a proven entity with good ergonomic adjustments.

Also, take positive chair reviews with a grain of salt - the people reviewing them may not have ever tried a decent ergonomic chair and don't understand what the chair is doing to their body.

I don't get why people are so adverse to spending $600+ on a chair. You say yourself you spend 4-6 hours a day in this chair - that's more time than your car, and I bet you paid a lot more than $600 for that. Just make sure you're getting good value for that $600+.

Edit: Hahaha the DXRacer chairs have steel frames?! WHY? There's absolutely no reason an ergonomic chair would need that. They're over-designed in everything but what matters - the adjustments.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 13, 2014

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah that is a v2.

Bought! Thanks for the acknowledgement. I can't wait to sit.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
Is this a Steelcase Criterion? He said it was Steelcase but didn't specify the model.

Someone wants $50 for it, but it would be a hour drive. What do you think?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

teknologik posted:

Is this a Steelcase Criterion? He said it was Steelcase but didn't specify the model.

Someone wants $50 for it, but it would be a hour drive. What do you think?

Yeah, that's a Criterion all right. It's an older version, and you could do better (like a Leap), but it's definitely better than that DXRacer... Thing. $50 is pretty drat good, go for it.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, that's a Criterion all right. It's an older version, and you could do better (like a Leap), but it's definitely better than that DXRacer... Thing. $50 is pretty drat good, go for it.

Bought it from some college student moving back home tomorrow from a city an hour away at 11pm at night. Totally worth it. Thanks!

edit: She said her dad works at steel case and she had bought it a while back. It looks drat near brand new!

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
question for owners of the Ikea Markus: Does the tilt feature loosen up over time? The display model in the store reclined with ease, but my new Markus requires a good amount of force to recline even with the tension fully loosened.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

question for owners of the Ikea Markus: Does the tilt feature loosen up over time? The display model in the store reclined with ease, but my new Markus requires a good amount of force to recline even with the tension fully loosened.

A coworker has one, and he is always deeply reclined in it. Then again, he's very tall, so he has physics on his side.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For anybody wanting to convert a Steelcase Think chair from hard castors (for use on carpet tiles) to soft castors (for hard floors such as wood, tile etc) then the dimensions you need to concern yourself with are a stem of 11mm diameter and 22mm long, and a wheel diameter of 65mm. I've swapped mine out as I could see the hard wheels starting to damage my wood floor, the new castors are quieter and cost me £12 for a set of 5 (Steelcase wanted £50 for a set of their ones).

I'd assume all recent Steelcase chairs are the same, but check before you order anything.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
For those who got the Steelcase Gestures I'd love to hear your thoughts after a couple of weeks of use.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Whiteycar posted:

For those who got the Steelcase Gestures I'd love to hear your thoughts after a couple of weeks of use.

Mine arrives in a few days so I'll be sure to post some pictures and some stuff

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Whiteycar posted:

I think I posted something similar a while back, but here are my thoughts after about a month of ownership.

I used to have a Global chair that cost about $200. It had a few adjustments, including arm height, back angle, and seat angle, but no seat depth adjustment or seat back angle adjustment independent of the seat angle. The arms were fixed width unless you wanted to get out a wrench and undo some bolts. I owned it for about 8 years, and in that time the soft vinyl arms started to fall apart, a cosmetic fascia on the back fell off, and the open-cell foam padding on the seat stopped offering any support at all. After long sessions of sitting in it, my rear end and legs were often achy and unhappy, and the flat, upright back encouraged slumping, slouching, and other bad postures. In short, it looked and felt comfortable on the showroom floor, but it was pretty bad in use.

Enter the Gesture. I was sold on it due to the extremely adjustable arms, the generous amount of recline, and the edge-to-edge padding of the seat. When it arrived, there was an adjustment period where my lower back was pretty unhappy with the chair, but I stuck it out because I knew that my posture was objectively terrible in the past and that there was naturally going to be a transitional period when I switched to sitting correctly. This discomfort faded after about a week.

I think the highest compliment I can pay the chair is that I don't notice it at all in use. It completely supports my body in the correct posture for typing and mousing and doesn't get any less comfortable with time. It's also the first chair I've owned with arms that don't aggravate my carpal or cubital tunnels. The arm design initially scared me because they're flat and not especially padded, but I can always have them set up to maintain the proper shoulder/elbow/wrist angles so that there aren't any pressure points happening.

I'm very pleased with it overall. The only weaknesses I would cite are that it doesn't offer adjustable lumbar support or seat angle, and that the somewhat aggressive built-in lumbar support structure pulls the back of my shirt up when I sit down or lean back. Other than those minor gripes, it's great.

For reference, I'm 6'0" and about 200 lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I asked for a quote from a nearby HM dealer on an Embody and it came back at ~935 pre-tax for black/black with armrests and carpet casters. Interesting.