Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Previa_fun posted:

You forgot one:

It's mid-engined. Like a Ferrari. :smuggo:

I like how they called it the Toyota MasterAce in Japan, but presumably someone in marketing noticed that it's uncomfortably close to "master race" and so rechristened it to "Van" when it came to North America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

There are only a few minivans I would willingly drive:
* That one. Holy poo poo.
* A mid 90s Mazda MPV, 5 speed, true 4x4, with a solid front axle swap.

You forgot the astro.
the LS bolts in, as does the 2 speed blazer transfercase.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Previa_fun posted:

You forgot one:

I grew up riding an hour each way to school in one of those. The near-constant fear of losing both my legs to the engine in even a mild head-on collision was only broken by my father stopping and checking the (now warm) oil level about 10 minutes into every trip. The smell of that engine is distinct and I can still recoil recall it now, 16 years later. Why? Because to get to the dipstick, my dad would hop out of the van, turn around, lift his entire seat up, and hang it on the hook above the seatbelt pulley, while I sat in the passenger seat and tried to ignore the oily smoke from a leaking hot engine. My sister and I both took several years to figure out that this design was not... normal.

That remains the only vehicle I've ever jump-started by going in through the side window and down into the floor; you can't actually reach the battery from outside the window, either.

The :psyduck: fact that they named it Toyota Van has always made it really difficult to talk to people about it without visual aids.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I like how they called it the Toyota MasterAce in Japan, but presumably someone in marketing noticed that it's uncomfortably close to "master race" and so rechristened it to "Van" when it came to North America.

Actually, it was "Van Wagon" when first released in '84, then they decided that was too close to "Vanagon" then called it "Van". Our family bought one when the first came out in '84, and I drove it after selling my '76 Continental. Beige with Wine interior. 5-speed, Dual HVAC, and our first car with a cassette player. Many, many, many hours spent in the back of it on family vacations throughout the 80s. It was a nightmare to work on, and ate batteries and alternators on an annual basis from new.

It had almost 400000 miles on it when I sold it and bought my grandma's '89 SHO.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
We had one with a refrigerator / freezer and icemaker in the dash. Also an absurdly large sunroof four people could comfortably stand through. Unfortunately the A/C never worked. That and a fried ECU board around 150k miles were the only troubles it gave us, though.

The aerodynamics caused the front to lift at highway speeds (or as close to as the little 4-banger could push it) and unload the front tires, allowing crosswinds to just shove you from lane to lane.

I really liked that thing, I had it in college for a while, but my parents traded it in due to the aforementioned legmurder fears. The front wheels are actually somewhat behind the driver.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Goober Peas posted:

Actually, it was "Van Wagon" when first released in '84, then they decided that was too close to "Vanagon" then called it "Van". Our family bought one when the first came out in '84, and I drove it after selling my '76 Continental. Beige with Wine interior. 5-speed, Dual HVAC, and our first car with a cassette player. Many, many, many hours spent in the back of it on family vacations throughout the 80s. It was a nightmare to work on, and ate batteries and alternators on an annual basis from new.

It had almost 400000 miles on it when I sold it and bought my grandma's '89 SHO.

Your grandma seems like a cool bro.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I hate to say it but no, I would not drive one of those. Ever.

I can't get over how they look like arthur the anteater, which I have an irrational loathing of due to having to listen to that insipid series of books being read to my younger siblings far too many times as a child.

Goes for previas, too. It's cool that they came in awd/turbocharged/5 speed variants, but no, never. It isn't logical and I don't care.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

kastein posted:

Goes for previas, too. It's cool that they came in awd/turbocharged/5 speed variants, but no, never. It isn't logical and I don't care.

Sometimes I think of buying another one as a beater.

I think the rule for Previas is supercharged, AWD, 5 speed. Pick two, in that they dropped the 5 speed for the AWD vans the year they offered the S/C motor.

Source: I am/used to be a :spergin: about these vans.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I had a feeling from the username :v:

Don't get me wrong, I think they're awesome vehicles drivetrain wise, I just can't stand the way they look at all.

Is there any way to play legos with them so you end up with a supercharged AWD 5 speed, or is that completely impossible because of design changes between the different versions?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

As far as I know it would be possible to swap the supercharger and related plumbing* and throw it in a non-s/c van, so yes. I'm sure getting the engine management to play nice might be tougher but you could probably swap that, too. I also think the supercharger is highly valued in the MR2 community as it is a larger capacity version of the same design (clutch and all) and is pretty much a bolt-in.

*The supercharger was mounted up under the hood at the front of the motor, as was the air filter, if I recall. This resulted in a long intake track. The crank drove a driveshaft to a pulley in front that drove all the accessories and the bushings would always poo poo themselves by 100k miles and knock like hell if there was any accessory load at idle.

Japanese cars in the 90s were so goddamn needlessly complex. :v:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

As awesome as the Taurus looks dressed up in a police uniform it's kinda sad that cops hate how small they are inside. It's significantly bigger than the Fusion on the outside, but only a little bigger inside.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Previa_fun posted:

As far as I know it would be possible to swap the supercharger and related plumbing* and throw it in a non-s/c van, so yes. I'm sure getting the engine management to play nice might be tougher but you could probably swap that, too. I also think the supercharger is highly valued in the MR2 community as it is a larger capacity version of the same design (clutch and all) and is pretty much a bolt-in.

*The supercharger was mounted up under the hood at the front of the motor, as was the air filter, if I recall. This resulted in a long intake track. The crank drove a driveshaft to a pulley in front that drove all the accessories and the bushings would always poo poo themselves by 100k miles and knock like hell if there was any accessory load at idle.

Japanese cars in the 90s were so goddamn needlessly complex. :v:

Correct. AW11 had the SC12, Estima had the SC14. They aren't quite bolt in IIRC, the SC14 had a physically longer compressor housing and blades, but the front and back plates were the same.

Last I checked the supercharger took up the same area as the front diff which is why AWD and SC were mutually exclusive. None of which matters because they're horrible cars that are atrocious to work on and are always barely limping along in terrible states of disrepair.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Previa_fun posted:

You forgot one:

I'm ashamed to say that my family also had one of these. it was two tone beige on brown, had the icebox up front, the massive sunroof in the back (along with a normal sized moon roof in the front) as well captains chairs for the second row. They would swivel around so that they would face the rear passengers/rear window. One time my mom opened the rear sliding door and it just kept going until it fell off the van.

I'm not sure if it was named differently in the states but it ours was called the WONDERWAGON :krad:

e: This is almost exactly how it looked, you can see the icebox in the top left corner.

mustard_tiger fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 7, 2014

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Last I checked the supercharger took up the same area as the front diff which is why AWD and SC were mutually exclusive. None of which matters because they're horrible cars that are atrocious to work on and are always barely limping along in terrible states of disrepair.

Ah, yeah maybe it's the s/c and awd combo that's impossible regardless of transmission, I forget. I never poked around an AWD van so I'm not familiar with their layout.

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

mustard_tiger posted:

it was two tone beige on brown,

That thing must have gotten you TONS OF PUSSY

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm gonna guess it got a lot of senior clam, anyway. :v:

My HS principle owned the exact same thing (even the poo poo on poo poo color), and occasionally used it for field trips in the early 90s (did I mention just how loving tiny my HS was?). A/C was also long, long dead.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Was the Toyota van the one with really strange seating arrangement as well? Forgive my shoddy memory, but I remember a friend's family had a van that looked similar, and the bench in the back was either backwards, or sideways like a troop carrier - I forget which.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
My only experience with a Previa was that I backed into my friend's mom's. The front grill stopped my tow hitch from going very far so I guess it wasn't much of a mechanical failure but more of a teenager failure. :v:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

mustard_tiger posted:

One time my mom opened the rear sliding door and it just kept going until it fell off the van.

I don't know why, but this is hilarious. I'm dying over here. I got this image in my head of a mom reluctantly going out to open the van. She opens the door, letting it slide open... and it just keeps going while she just stares at it like, "...You motherfucker."

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Slavvy posted:

Correct. AW11 had the SC12, Estima had the SC14. They aren't quite bolt in IIRC, the SC14 had a physically longer compressor housing and blades, but the front and back plates were the same.

Engine power was marginal when new for highway speeds and there are definitely safety concerns, but if you want the absolute smallest and cheapest-running vehicle for hauling 4x8's and similar cargo they were your best choice for a long time. This means they've pretty much been retired from family-hauling duty but seem to be beloved by a fairly low tier of contractor; as such surviving examples seem to have been beat to poo poo far beyond what any passenger vehicle was really intended for.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In NZ estimas are colloquially known as 'coconut carriers' because of the (somewhat true) perception that the overwhelming majority are owned by relatively poor pacific islander families with multiple children. I've never seen one used for anything other than limping down the road, belching smoke, packed to the brim with children.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

SuperDucky posted:

Your grandma seems like a cool bro.

She was -- her last car was a del Sol Si :science:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I like every generation of V6 SHO. :v:

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009

The biggest tunnel machine ever constructed, Bertha, is off to a Real Bad start 60 feet underground and less than 1,000 feet into it's run. It was estimated to cost $3.1 billion and be done by early 2016 but there's no way in hell those estimates will be met now, and there's already talk of lawsuits. The whole thing has been eerily reminiscent of the big dig project in Boston, but since this is far deeper I have no idea how they would be able to dig it out from underneath downtown if it had a breakdown in a deeper spot.

I like big machines, but I don't like being on the hook as a taxpayer when they break :sigh:

a rowdy mullet fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 8, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why would they design a tunnel digging machine that is irrecoverable if it breaks down while digging a tunnel? That is retarded.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Slavvy posted:

Why would they design a tunnel digging machine that is irrecoverable if it breaks down while digging a tunnel? That is retarded.

I've heard of tunnel projects where much of the TBM is simply left in a self-bored disposal hole after the project's done.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Slavvy posted:

Thats the best part, the plan if it gets stuck? Back fill the hole it dug with it inside. Really it seemed like a bad plan from the start. The whole digging a tunnel under the waterfront that was created by blowing up the hills and dumping all the material by the water and building on top of it seems like a bad plan to me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Negromancer posted:

The whole digging a tunnel under the waterfront that was created by blowing up the hills and dumping all the material by the water and building on top of it seems like a bad plan to me.
Sons of the Profits is a great book, Seattle has been a comedy of stupidity since day one.

Most big cities start out because they're convenient to build on and serve some economic resource. Seattle? They had the resource but nowhere to build a city, but they did it anyways.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Slavvy posted:

If I recall correctly, the boring machine isn't broken down, it's just running into bigger/smaller/less stable rocks than projected and is at risk of overheating. The assumption is that, if it can get through this section of ground OK, the more compact ground under the city will be easier to get through. It's really a failure to properly survey/engineer the project beforehand.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
So you're saying that seattle used the russian method of preparation for this project?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Safety Dance posted:

If I recall correctly, the boring machine isn't broken down, it's just running into bigger/smaller/less stable rocks than projected and is at risk of overheating. The assumption is that, if it can get through this section of ground OK, the more compact ground under the city will be easier to get through. It's really a failure to properly survey/engineer the project beforehand.

The article linked describes sand in the grease and potential bearing/main axle damage.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Godholio posted:

The article linked describes sand in the grease and potential bearing/main axle damage.

Ok, cool, I missed the link. I remembered reading about a previous delay in the same project, the URL of which I can't find now.

e. Or maybe I just misunderstood what I'd read previously.

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

So you're saying that seattle used the russian method of preparation for this project?

In a way, yeah. The original work stoppage explanation from early January (which took a month to diagnose) was that Bertha hit a 8" diameter steel pipe which was not mapped. Who was responsible for the pipe being there? WSDOT drilled a pilot well there years ago, and apparently just loving forgot that they left it there :suicide:

a rowdy mullet fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 8, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Russia wishes it could be as inept as Seattle. If you really care, check out the book I mentioned further up. Seattle is literally what happens when someone decides to build a city despite a million reasons it should never have been attempted.

The first version was built on a tidal flat and they tried to make it work for years. Instead of building the town somewhere safer, they decided to blow up some cliffs with dynamite and use the rubble to build a foundation higher than the tides.

a nest of hornets
Nov 17, 2012

by Ralp

xzzy posted:

Russia wishes it could be as inept as Seattle. If you really care, check out the book I mentioned further up. Seattle is literally what happens when someone decides to build a city despite a million reasons it should never have been attempted.

The first version was built on a tidal flat and they tried to make it work for years. Instead of building the town somewhere safer, they decided to blow up some cliffs with dynamite and use the rubble to build a foundation higher than the tides.

Hasn't it been rebuilt like 4 times?? I lived in a building downtown that had street level entrances in the basement and on the 4th floor.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Local idiot didn't change his timing belt or something:

Slow is Fast fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 9, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Or the cam gear broke. That can happen if you drop/chip one while they're off.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
That kinda looks like it could be a water pump pulley. What engine is that?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Looks like a DOHC Subaru. If it is, that's the intake cam gear saying peek-a-boo.

An AI goon's timing belt video turns up when you GIS "subaru dohc timing belt" :v: I wanna say that's jamal, but I'm not 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

xzzy posted:

They said I was mad to built a castle in a swamp, but I built it anyways - just to show 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNaXdLWt17A