Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dafte
Jul 21, 2001

Techno. Logical. Pimp.
Is it too late for the Stanly VMWare courses? All I could find was wait list for summer. If you have any info please let me know. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dafte posted:

Is it too late for the Stanly VMWare courses? All I could find was wait list for summer. If you have any info please let me know. Thanks.

Sign up regardless. When I signed up I was told there was a 9 month wait list, then I got contacted soon after for the next semester because a bunch of people flaked out.

... then I canceled myself because I had changed jobs in the meantime and the new company is a KVM/OpenStack shop. But anyway the point is the sooner you sign up, the sooner you can get in :) Make sure to whitelist them on your spam filter or check your spam religiously because every single drat thing they sent went to spam for me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

psydude posted:

Ooof. Well, it'll be good for people trying to get their CCNA or focus on layer 3 applications, but all of the left off is on SWITCH and I'm sure it's even more critical for the CCIE.

But then again, given the ROI on a CCIE I think I could stand to part with 1-2 grand for a decent home lab.

e: You know, in thinking about it, the CCNA (at least the last version, which is the one I took) barely covered switching. SWITCH goes a fair bit into it, but I'd argue that its coverage is not as in-depth as ROUTE insofar as it only touches on most advanced switching functions.

I agree about the switching. After the CCNA you basically know how to configure the basics (hostname, int vlan 1, ip default-gateway, switchport access/trunk) and not much else. SWITCH goes a good deal further into it from what I've seen. And drat it I need to buckle down on my CCNP studies - I will be a CCIE one day. I feel pretty good about all the stuff in ROUTE, I just need to do some practice tests and actually book the drat thing. But having started a new job, I don't want to start asking for training/exam money quite yet. I should at least wait until I have my own purchasing card I guess.

And RE: GNS3, here's the email that Stephen sent out last week:

Stephen at GNS3 posted:

Things are heating up...
Jeremy's new software is well on its way to being the best version of GNS3 yet. As stated, schedule for the new release is planned for Late February - barring no complications or pesky bugs in the code.

Things to remember about being a GNS3 Early Release Member:
This isnt the final version of V1.0 - the final release of GNS3 1.0 will happen during the public launch of the software in late 2014.
This is the early release of GNS3 1.0, so it will most likely contain some bugs and will also not contain all the features.
Feature roll out will be aggressive
Switching will be included for the this first iteration
This has been built from scratch by just one person, the great and powerful creator of GNS3 - Jeremy! If you havent yet, stop by the forums to send him your support!
We plan to build an area where we can get your user feedback as well as error reporting so that we can quickly work on tuning up the new software.

We are asking for your help to fine tune the software to make it the best networking tool yet. We appreciate not only your contribution to the crowdfunding campaign, but also your contribution to the development of it as well!

GNS3 is one of my favorite pastimes, so it's safe to safe I'm far more excited than I should be for this release.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 3, 2014

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh and as a follow-up, psydude what do you consider a decent CCIE lab? I've got a few routers (A couple 1841s, a 2610, and a... 1710? Something like that?) and a few switches (a 3550, a 3524XL, and a 1950). I'm curious what else I'll need to get down the road. I know I'll need another 3550 at least for the SWITCH exam.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The guys over in the lab thread can probably make some good recommendations. I'm still waiting to take TSHOOT to finish up my CCNP before I start hardcore on the CCIE, so I can't really comment on what is and isn't necessary.

For CCNP, though, you'll probably want the other 3550 like you talked about so you can run Layer 3 etherchannel and some of the other MLS functions. A few of the features covered in SWITCH are only on 4500s and 6500s, but it's minimal and you don't need hands on with it (if you do a lot of layer 2 at work you'll probably be familiar with it already, anyway).

Blue_Calx
Sep 20, 2001
I am in the midst of studying for my ICND1 and currently going through the CBT Nuggets.

I kind of want to setup a hands-on lab (or just might purchase some Cisco Learning Labs time if this doesn't work out.) Through my work I can get a nice, shiny 1941 router, but there are also some 2 spare Catalyst Express 520 switches laying around. Could I use those switches for my ICND1 and ICND2 studies? I don't know much about them other then they were nice to setup with Cisco UC devices. I couldn't find any info on using them for a CCNA lab.

I would supplement these devices with 2 routers (2600xm or 2800 series) and another switch if the 520s are fine for the lab. Opinions?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Blue_Calx posted:

I am in the midst of studying for my ICND1 and currently going through the CBT Nuggets.

I kind of want to setup a hands-on lab (or just might purchase some Cisco Learning Labs time if this doesn't work out.) Through my work I can get a nice, shiny 1941 router, but there are also some 2 spare Catalyst Express 520 switches laying around. Could I use those switches for my ICND1 and ICND2 studies? I don't know much about them other then they were nice to setup with Cisco UC devices. I couldn't find any info on using them for a CCNA lab.

I would supplement these devices with 2 routers (2600xm or 2800 series) and another switch if the 520s are fine for the lab. Opinions?

As far as I can tell, the Express 520 switch doesn't have a console port on it, so you can't actually do any IOS commands. Granted, there's not a LOT of switch console configuration stuff in the CCNA exam (compared to routing), but it would still be a hindrance.

You can get a couple 2950 switches for around $20 each on Amazon or eBay.

For routing, the 2610xm is a good router for the CCNA, as is most of what you can find on eBay or wherever. Jeremy Ciaora actually recommends the 871w router, since it has built-in wireless and you can integrate it more into your home network, if that's what you're looking to do. Personally, I have my test lab segmented off of the main network because my wife gets pissed when I accidentally take the internet down for a couple hours :ohdear:

And hey, half the fun of this black hole we call a hobby is acquiring new gear! Start off with a couple basic switches and routers, and soon you'll add wireless access points, wireless LAN controllers, servers to run ACS/WCS/ISE/UCS/CUCM/CUPS/whatever, ASAs, PIXs (or not), layer 3 switches, more routers, IP phones... etc...

But back on track, here's what I'd recommend for the CCNA dude on a budget (this list may not be up to date with the new CCNA exams, but I imagine they'd work fine):

2x Catalyst 2950 Switches (~$20 each)
2x 2610 routers (~$30 each if you get a deal on eBay)
2x WIC-1T cards (~$5 each used on Amazon)
1x RJ45-to-DB9 console cable ($5 new on Amazon)
1x serial-to-USB adapter ($5 new on Amazon)
1x DCE/DTE DB60 crossover cable ($7 new from Monoprice)
At least 2 straight-through Ethernet cables (should be free because I mean come on)
At least 1 crossover Ethernet cable (steal one from work)
---------Total: around $120, you can probably find good deals around, or mix in some gear you steal/borrow from work.

Then you can go

[Router] ---serial--- [Router] ---ethernet--- [Switch] ---crossover--- [Switch]

That's basically how I had my CCNA lab set up.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Question about the CCNA lab setup - what would you put into the lab if you already have two 3550's as the basis from which to build out?

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
You can do basically everything in the CCNA in Packet Tracer. If you want a fully accurate representation of all the commands in the router - setup GNS3.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

QPZIL posted:

As far as I can tell, the Express 520 switch doesn't have a console port on it, so you can't actually do any IOS commands. Granted, there's not a LOT of switch console configuration stuff in the CCNA exam (compared to routing), but it would still be a hindrance.

You can get a couple 2950 switches for around $20 each on Amazon or eBay.

For routing, the 2610xm is a good router for the CCNA, as is most of what you can find on eBay or wherever. Jeremy Ciaora actually recommends the 871w router, since it has built-in wireless and you can integrate it more into your home network, if that's what you're looking to do. Personally, I have my test lab segmented off of the main network because my wife gets pissed when I accidentally take the internet down for a couple hours :ohdear:

And hey, half the fun of this black hole we call a hobby is acquiring new gear! Start off with a couple basic switches and routers, and soon you'll add wireless access points, wireless LAN controllers, servers to run ACS/WCS/ISE/UCS/CUCM/CUPS/whatever, ASAs, PIXs (or not), layer 3 switches, more routers, IP phones... etc...

But back on track, here's what I'd recommend for the CCNA dude on a budget (this list may not be up to date with the new CCNA exams, but I imagine they'd work fine):

2x Catalyst 2950 Switches (~$20 each)
2x 2610 routers (~$30 each if you get a deal on eBay)
2x WIC-1T cards (~$5 each used on Amazon)
1x RJ45-to-DB9 console cable ($5 new on Amazon)
1x serial-to-USB adapter ($5 new on Amazon)
1x DCE/DTE DB60 crossover cable ($7 new from Monoprice)
At least 2 straight-through Ethernet cables (should be free because I mean come on)
At least 1 crossover Ethernet cable (steal one from work)
---------Total: around $120, you can probably find good deals around, or mix in some gear you steal/borrow from work.

Then you can go

[Router] ---serial--- [Router] ---ethernet--- [Switch] ---crossover--- [Switch]

That's basically how I had my CCNA lab set up.

If you want gear for having gears sake this is good advice. However if you really don't want to waste money/storage just use GNS3 and maybe buy a L3 switch like a 3550. 2950s don't do L3 so they really don't apply to any modern network you'll be working with IMO.

Edit. That came out a bit harsh. I just wanted to reinforce that alot of us have a pile of outdated gear in the attic because we wanted physical gear. Last time I turned it on my physical lab was 2011 when I was going for my CCNA and wasted more time trying to setup some DCE/DTE cable between two 1601s (or whatever). GNS3 lets you move past the physical issues into some very complex setups. Yes knowing how to plug some cable in to some port is important knowledge but the investment into physical gear is barely worth it unless you literally have never touched a box with a console port before.

Fatal fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 5, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I know people want the cred of having their own gear, and there's something to be said for feeling badass because you've got a big stack of network equipment, but as someone who's gone through CCNA and such I always recommend people just stay with packet tracer, or at the very most use GNS3 with some physical L3 switches interconnected.

With few exceptions for lucky folk, any equipment you can easily afford secondhand isn't something you'll likely every use in a real production environment because it's disastrously outdated, and IOS experience is just as easy to get firsthand through GNS3 for a fraction of the price (i.e., one device that you can pull IOS off of "legally").

I'm not trying to go against the grain or anything (and indeed it seems like I'm not the only one on this wavelength), but I just thought I'd throw that out there as someone who went through CCNA and spent thousands of dollars on equipment only to realize that my only real world experience gained was figuring out which end of a cable is DCE and which is DTE.

And I mean if you can afford the hardware and you want to go for it, all the more power to you. There's no reason you shouldn't study in a manner you feel will benefit you most. My only goal is to just say that don't feel like you need to get real hardware to have credibility. Packet tracer and GNS3 will more than suit your needs through a good portion of the CCNP, at which point you'll have a better idea of what equipment you'll likely need anyway.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Martytoof posted:

only real world experience gained was figuring out which end of a cable is DCE and which is DTE.

I swear I hadn't read your post when I made my edit :D

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
I used Cisco Learning Labs for the previous version of the CCNA and thought it was money well spent.

Blue_Calx
Sep 20, 2001
Thanks for all the equipment advice guys. I think I will just do the Cisco Learning Labs. It's only $80 for 35 hours and I can probably expense it. The extra 1941 we have at work only takes EHWIC modules and getting serial modules for it would be lovely expensive. Plus I live in Alaska and shipping prices are terrible here unless it's Amazon Prime.

Though, Today I did find a 861 and we just got a new, baller 2960-X switch I can play around with. I might setup the 1941 or 861 for my home router, just because.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

QPZIL posted:

Oh and as a follow-up, psydude what do you consider a decent CCIE lab? I've got a few routers (A couple 1841s, a 2610, and a... 1710? Something like that?) and a few switches (a 3550, a 3524XL, and a 1950). I'm curious what else I'll need to get down the road. I know I'll need another 3550 at least for the SWITCH exam.

2x3560
2x3550
4x1841
1x3825
1x26XX XM (frame relay switch)

Serial modules

but all that changes with v5 coming out

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Dafte posted:

Definitely get on the waitlist. Once your number comes up, you just give 'em $185, wait for the labs to drop, complete them whenever you want, and while you do the work, study up for the VCP.

I'd email Jana Kennedy - Jkennedy7709 at stanly.edu - once you sign up and ask her if she has an idea of when you'll be called. I was on the list for about 3-6ish months, I think, and I'd heard nothing. Someone in this thread posted her name/email and I reached out. About an hour later the response was "Oh, you didn't get an email? Good thing you asked, there's still room."

Docjowles posted:

Sign up regardless. When I signed up I was told there was a 9 month wait list, then I got contacted soon after for the next semester because a bunch of people flaked out.

... then I canceled myself because I had changed jobs in the meantime and the new company is a KVM/OpenStack shop. But anyway the point is the sooner you sign up, the sooner you can get in :) Make sure to whitelist them on your spam filter or check your spam religiously because every single drat thing they sent went to spam for me.

I didn't whitelist them, but I never even got anything in my spam filter. They were able to send me stuff after I reached out, though, and it was never marked as spam... yay Gmail spam filter?

I started the course while I was hunting for better jobs, thinking that a VCP plus my MCSAs would make life easier - only to end up halfway through accepting an offer at a Xenserver/Xendesk shop. I'd say stick around VCP if for no other reason than to get into the course; my day-to-day consoling and rebooting in vSphere Client was the tip of the iceberg to a lot of VM concepts that dovetail well with Xenserver and, to a lesser extent, Hyper-V.

MJP fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 5, 2014

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MJP posted:

I didn't whitelist them, but I never even got anything in my spam filter. They were able to send me stuff after I reached out, though, and it was never marked as spam... yay Gmail spam filter?

Heh I was using GMail too. Maybe my settings are different, who knows. :shrug:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GOOCHY posted:

You can do basically everything in the CCNA in Packet Tracer. If you want a fully accurate representation of all the commands in the router - setup GNS3.

Yeah, this is what I did/am doing. It's annoying when you do run into differences between the simulated and actual CLI (the use of the pipe character seems to be the biggest problem I've encountered), but it's perfectly serviceable for CCENT/CCNA work.

(that being said, i'm probably going to spend a few hundred just to get an actual switch and console to work on, if only because it's kind of fun)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 6, 2014

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I'm still waiting for VMware to call me back about my voucher. Apparently the coupon that Stanly provides is only good for purchasing the VCP510PSE (Student) exam, which is exactly the same as the VCP510 exam except that there is an entirely different process for getting approval for it that is cloaked in mystery. I've been waiting a week for the VMWare IT Academy Program Office to get back with me via email (since they apparently don't have a phone number that the VMware Customer Support folks know about) so that I can get the link to register for the student exam. At this point I'm just about to say gently caress it and drop the $250 on a regular voucher so I can get it out of the way. Anyone know of any discount codes I can use?

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I finally got hard copies of my BCCPA and BCCPP today. Theyre not as cool looking as my other certs.

Have they changed the CISSP yet? Im planning on taking it next month and Ive heard there may have been changes to which modules are being focused on. :ohdear:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

psyopmonkey posted:

I finally got hard copies of my BCCPA and BCCPP today. Theyre not as cool looking as my other certs.

Have they changed the CISSP yet? Im planning on taking it next month and Ive heard there may have been changes to which modules are being focused on. :ohdear:

What did you use to study for it? I was considering this book because I really liked Gibson for the Security+ exam.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

psydude posted:

What did you use to study for it? I was considering this book because I really liked Gibson for the Security+ exam.

The 11th hour book is really good and gets to the point. Its also an ebook! I cant speak to the gibson book.

Also having a few years experience in IA and CND helps a lot. There are vce's out there for this test and ive heard most are pretty accurate.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Passed the Oracle Certified Professional (OCP) Database 11g exam earlier this week. The exam content is about 65% just RMAN/backup/recovery/flashback and then small chunks of memory management/tuning/scheduler/resource manager to top it up to 100%.

I found the Oracle Press book for OCP to be very good and there was very little in the exam which wasn't covered. The only downside to the book is the practises are poor and in some places simply wrong or very subjective. So the chapters are great, but expect to shout at the practise exercises. The CD that came with the book has a practise exam on it which had some value, but some of the 'correct' answers were wrong or again very subjective (e.g. pick the 'best' without any criteria). The real exam didn't appear to have any wrong 'correct' answers or any subjective questions.

2 other resources I found which were very useful - The CBT nuggets videos and the transcender practise exams. The quality of the questions in the transcender practise exams was good and I think it was money well spent as it was pitched at the same level as the real exam. It also has good detailed explanations when you 'show answers' and has hyperlinks to the relevant sections in the Oracle docs for further reading. I used this a lot.

My main tip for preparing for this exam is to try everything on a crash and burn test database. I must have done 100 backups/restores and tried all the scenarios to cause failures and fix it for real.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

psyopmonkey posted:

The 11th hour book is really good and gets to the point. Its also an ebook! I cant speak to the gibson book.

I have both of Eric Conrad's books and was planning on using those to start working through the CISSP. And using Shon Harris' AIO monstrosity as a reference/second opinion on things.

I listened to a bunch of Shon Harris' mp3 lectures she has. I'm pumped up to start digging through the CISSP material but I really need to get the VCP exam done. Just can't get motivated to cram and schedule that test. :(

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Studying for the CCNA and I have the pleasure of trying to learn VLSM. For the most part I understand it and using the VLSM table is great. The type of person I am though I want to figure out how it works, namely how the hell are the hosts determined when using the table? Its driving me crazy!

For example, normally a /27 would have 32-2 = 30 hosts. But on the VLSM table it lists 25 hosts. I'm sure it obvious, but I cant figure it out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Which table? I'd answer 30 as well.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Frag Viper posted:

For example, normally a /27 would have 32-2 = 30 hosts. But on the VLSM table it lists 25 hosts. I'm sure it obvious, but I cant figure it out.

That's wrong, definitely 30 hosts. What book & edition, worth it to check out the errata.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
I'm pretty sure its me just not understanding the VLSM concept yet and someone here will point that out shortly.

Its from the latest Lammle CCNA book.

Its asking to create a VLSM network using 192.168.10.0
LANS
192.168.10.32/27
192.168.10.8/29
192.168.10.64/27
192.168.10.16/28

WAN
192.168.10.108/30
192.168.10.96/30
192.168.10.100/30
192.168.10.104/30

It then asks to fill in the table. Everything is great until the host portion because doesn't match up to what it should be. This is the problem i'm having. I get subneting, but i'm stuck here right now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

He's giving you a scenario where there's a different number of hosts that need IP addresses and then showing which prefix you'd use to accommodate that number.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
Always check the errata online if something doesn't make sense

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
OH. MY. GOD... This was killing me. I was reading the same 3 pages for the last several hours.

Thank you for this. I ran in to others errors early on, but this is pretty bad.

I'm not retarded after all!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I have about 70 days to get ITIL, Security+, and either MCTS or MCITP (70-680 or 70-685) certified. Looks like I'll be spending a lot of time here!

I have the CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide as recommended in the OP in my shopping cart ready to buy.

This came up in google for ITIL. Is it legit?

Regarding MCTS or MCITP, which is actually better? Personally, the MCITP sounds better to me just being a more general pc troubleshooting type of thing as compared to focusing exclusively on Win7. Thoughts?

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I have about 70 days to get ITIL, Security+, and either MCTS or MCITP (70-680 or 70-685) certified. Looks like I'll be spending a lot of time here!

This came up in google for ITIL. Is it legit?

Try this book for ITIL. linky

You could study the material for 2 weeks and pass. The test is retard level easy.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Regarding MCTS or MCITP, which is actually better? Personally, the MCITP sounds better to me just being a more general pc troubleshooting type of thing as compared to focusing exclusively on Win7. Thoughts?

MCITP title has been retired and 70-685 doesn't get you any certification by itself. If you pass both 680 and 685 you'll get MCSA: Windows 7.

Edit: Actually I see the ability to get the MCITP title has been extended until July 31. For both server and desktop I guess.

Amphion fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 8, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Amphion posted:

MCITP title has been retired and 70-685 doesn't get you any certification by itself. If you pass both 680 and 685 you'll get MCSA: Windows 7.

Edit: Actually I see the ability to get the MCITP title has been extended until July 31. For both server and desktop I guess.

With that in mind, considering I'm on a 4 month contract (mar-jun) to perm, MCITP wouldn't actually do anything for my resume?

Either 680 or 685 are required after starting my position, but I'm thinking about which one will be beneficial in the long term.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

psyopmonkey posted:

Try this book for ITIL. linky

You could study the material for 2 weeks and pass. The test is retard level easy.

This actual exam costs silly money though.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

With that in mind, considering I'm on a 4 month contract (mar-jun) to perm, MCITP wouldn't actually do anything for my resume?

Either 680 or 685 are required after starting my position, but I'm thinking about which one will be beneficial in the long term.

Just get one and focus on server infrastructure, here is a really good explanation from a previous page

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Getting an MCSA (aka MCITP/windows 7) in desktop support will condemn you to desktop support. Getting one for server infrastructure proves you can be trusted on the back-end, especially with features such as Active Directory, Group Policy etc. And people generally assume that if you can handle a server you can handle a client-side operating system.

Mention to work that you want to develop and advance within the company, and you'd like the certs to reflect that.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Passed both my A+ cert tests this past month (:toot:) and I want to make sure I've got this Continuing Education program understood: I need to pay the annual fee of my highest level certification ($25 for A+) and then I can enter in Continuing Education Units that I earn through taking additional courses, through work, or by achieving a higher level certification or taking a newer version of my existing certification exam?

So, for example, if I want to look at Network+ as a future goal to work towards for 7 months from now, would I have to pay the full 3 year CE cost for the A+, or do I pay one year for the A+ and then upon getting the Network+ Certification my annual fee rises to $49 and starts a new 3 year period effective immediately, which I would then have to pay before entering any new CEUs towards maintaining both certifications?

e: vvv :doh: Of course I missed it in the very last line on that page. Thanks. So as long as I take a higher level certification within 3 years I'll be fine and dandy.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 8, 2014

pram
Jun 10, 2001
I think the Network+ will just renew the A+ when you take it. That CE program has never really made much sense to me.

quote:

If you plan on taking a higher-level CompTIA certification to fulfill your renewal requirements, no CE maintenance fees are required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
If you're in a position where renewing your A+ is a concern, you're doing it wrong. A+ exists to get your foot in the door so you can bootstrap yourself to a middle-class job. CE fees would be better invested in study materials for just about any non-CompTIA exam.