Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

comes along bort posted:

Not really appreciating the blatant misogyny this season so far having an obviously drugged up and now a clearly retarded woman on the panel.

You can't be serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I liked when he was talking to Julia Roberts and said that if terrorists had poisoned the water of 200k Americans we would be dropping bombs on people but since it was just a corporation the most that will happen is a fine or slap on the wrist :patriot:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, that's infuriatingly accurate.

Also likely relevant to that emotion, if I remember correctly, we're going to have to behold Issa on the panel tonight.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Darrell Issa is one of the worst human beings alive.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp
Is asking for a stream bad here? Stream links for sports is okay so just asking.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Ugh loving Darrell Issa is a true scumbag. Not looking forward to this. Is he getting shut down or is he running roughshod all over the panel with his bullshit?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Oh boy, Darrell Issa bullshit.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

I missed the intros, who is this 12 year old boy on the panel?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Dunno but he totally played Peter Pan in a stage production at one point.

e: oh wow he's either Woody Allen or Frank Sinatra's kid

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 1, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

comes along bort posted:

Dunno but he totally played Peter Pan in a stage production at one point.

e: oh wow he's either Woody Allen or Frank Sinatra's kid

There is not a single piece of Woody Allen's genetic material anywhere near that kid's DNA, let alone in it.

Also, Issa calling Florida "God's Waiting Room" (despite the truth to it) will be a great soundbite if he finds his way onto a ticket in 2016.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 1, 2014

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I'm so naive to have hoped that Bill would've grilled Issa about wasting millions of dollars on bullshit investigations and/or selectively leaking classified documents to the press in order to make the administration look bad while withholding documents that exonerate the administration. So loving what if Issa never comes back afterwards? Hell, at least give him poo poo about the "you should watch more Fox News" quote.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bill: So, Congressman, are you gonna stand in the way of a minimum wage increase?
Issa: IWANNATALKABOUTGITMO! :byodood:

...gently caress this panel already. It he'd said "BENGHAZI!" I'd have put my fist through the TV.

E: God, he's a shitheel. "Henry Waxman once said he might have me removed from a committee hearing. That's the same as that guy threatening to murder a reporter by throwing him off a balcony."

Well at least Maher told the whole panel to gently caress off because they let Issa away with his bullshit the whole night.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 1, 2014

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Maybe it is because I've been hardened to how terrible Issa is that I actually think he wasn't that bad tonight. Low expectations.

knife super power
Nov 4, 2010

tomapot posted:

Maybe it is because I've been hardened to how terrible Issa is that I actually think he wasn't that bad tonight. Low expectations.

Issa is very good at playing to his audience. He tried to appear as a reasonable conservative on this show. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on Fox News next week calling for a new hearing on Benghazi.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

knife super power posted:

Issa is very good at playing to his audience. He tried to appear as a reasonable conservative on this show. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on Fox News next week calling for a new hearing on Benghazi.

It also helped that the other two panelists played into his defensive pivots and chased the rabbits down the holes he sent down instead of trying to get him to address the topics at hand. Also, Maher didn't do himself any favours by going, "rich congressmen are out of touch with reality, and you're the richest man in congress... But you're one of the nice riches. :mitt:"

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yep, total Issa trainwreck---even with OT and the latest MSNBC flunkie somehow managed to cement himself as even more annoying and just throwing out buzzwords in OT especially.

I was loving the initial interview at least until the guy went out of his way to compare the current leaks and whatnot to slavery outright---I can see his point, but I don't know that he's seeing the big picture all the way through to be so brazenly downplaying. It is not the case that things are "the same still"---those that would enslave and exploit shifted their tactics and strategies to leverage in a more insidious manner: It has gotten worse combined with public vigilance and outrage being placated, subverted, distracted, and outright neutered against the lot of it.

Woe and despair unto us all though, for the time is nigh that next week's episode looks to have PJ O'Rourke and SE Cupp on it. I guess this is the jackass Balancing Math to make up for this week's allegedly "Left Heavy" panel ganging up on poor-old-show-ruining Issa?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I dunno, maybe with the power of both Cupp and O'Rourke's stupidity combined they'll somehow create a rift in the time-space continuum and say something halfway intelligent. Or at least semi-coherent, I'm not choosy.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

I couldn't get over the lady howling with laughter.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Steinuh posted:

I couldn't get over the lady howling with laughter.

Seriously what the gently caress. That was ridiculous.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

comes along bort posted:

I dunno, maybe with the power of both Cupp and O'Rourke's stupidity combined they'll somehow create a rift in the time-space continuum and say something halfway intelligent. Or at least semi-coherent, I'm not choosy.

SE Cupp is always a joy to watch because she apparently lives in a world without irony. That, and there's always the chance that she'll finally drop her fake atheist ruse and announce that she's found Jesus "again." :allears:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bill mentioned that Obama had the lowest TV ratings since Clinton in 2000. More disinterest or more people watching later? Was he really talking about pizza during the SOTU?

Issa's jokes sure did suck but I did like the guy coming on and ridiculing the US.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Woe and despair unto us all though, for the time is nigh that next week's episode looks to have PJ O'Rourke and SE Cupp on it.

I want Kennedy and Cupp on the same panel.

nine-gear crow posted:

Well at least Maher told the whole panel to gently caress off because they let Issa away with his bullshit the whole night.

The whole panel was out of control and kept chitchatting while Bill was talking.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zogo posted:

I want Kennedy and Cupp on the same panel.

Kennedy, Cupp, and that Lex Luthor looking dude from National Review.

Zogo posted:

Bill mentioned that Obama had the lowest TV ratings since Clinton in 2000. More disinterest or more people watching later? Was he really talking about pizza during the SOTU?

A bit of everything. SOTU ratings go down the further along we get in a presidency, plus pretty much only old people and nerds even bother watching it in the first place. Everyone else just waits for Sportscenter highlights.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 2, 2014

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Zogo posted:

Was he really talking about pizza during the SOTU?

He invited a pizza place owner and the young dude who tosses the dough to the SotU. He used them as examples of a small business owner who gave employees raises above the minimum wage. Kinda a FU to Papa Johns owner who has been a dick about Obamacare and minimum wage.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

tomapot posted:

He invited a pizza place owner and the young dude who tosses the dough to the SotU. He used them as examples of a small business owner who gave employees raises above the minimum wage. Kinda a FU to Papa Johns owner who has been a dick about Obamacare and minimum wage.

"Obamacare will force my franchisees to fire people!"

*Obamacare doesn't force franchisees to fire anyone, corporate dumps a back-to-back '30 cent pizza' and 'free Super Bowl pizza' promo down their throats, which likely will hurt franchisees and force them to fire/lay off workers*

"SEE? I TOLD YOU!"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nine-gear crow posted:

SE Cupp is always a joy to watch because she apparently lives in a world without irony. That, and there's always the chance that she'll finally drop her fake atheist ruse and announce that she's found Jesus "again." :allears:

I love SE Cupp because she's such an obvious mercenary that none of her hilarious schtick will ever land for anyone but already far right true believers but she still keeps plugging away with no self awareness that nobobdy with even a shred of intelligence believes she's genuine. She's reprehensible, but the false tempering of it with "no really I'm an atheist" or whatever it is this week is so transparent that a blind person could see through it. Also she's a total moron. Bring it on; she's way more inept than Issa.

O'Rourke is clearly a drunk, but he's still more adept than Cupp and probably actually believes what he says. Which only makes next week better, because we get to see Cupp try to brain-deadly mercenary her way into trying to agree with him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

IRQ posted:

O'Rourke is clearly a drunk, but he's still more adept than Cupp and probably actually believes what he says. Which only makes next week better, because we get to see Cupp try to brain-deadly mercenary her way into trying to agree with him.

PJ O'Rourke has the distinction of being the only conservative comedian to have ever made me laugh at a Conservative JokeTM, and it was on Real Time as well, no less. But that was years ago, and I have been waiting for him to say something legitimately funny again ever since, but every time he comes on he just turns out to be a bigger and bigger a-hole. So now I'm wondering just what the hell happened to get me to laugh at something he said unironically?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
He was kinda funny back in the dark ages before he turned into an old crank.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He's about as funny as Garrison Keilor reading a transcript of the capitol steps.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PJ is decently funny on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me! But that's mostly quibs, which he can handle well.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Please not S.E. Cupp

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I never noticed her speaking voice sounds like Katy Perry singing.

They could replace foghorns with a recording of her arguing against the 40 hour work week.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Well that was boring as gently caress. Not even S.E. Cupp brought her a-game tonight. I was expecting her to be entertainingly stupid rather than acting like 1st year undergrad Poli-Sci major with ill-informed opinions.

I think Bill did most of the talking this panel so I just zoned out because I can't remember a thing the bald guy and not-S.E. Cupp said.

Although PJ O'Rouke did make me laugh one more time at something he said, so there might be hope yet.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
OT was no better---the other 2 panelists might as well have been cardboard cutouts for the most part as it was all S.E. Cupp all the time outside of Bill talking. This was the best PJ has been in ages though, harkening back to the days of light chuckles while shaking your head at him calmly saying something rather more troubling that has you wish he'd sooner not return---like his "sensible" plan on how to handle the death penalty in OT that involved starvation/dehydration and suicide~

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Tom Colicchio is not a funny man.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

nine-gear crow posted:

Well that was boring as gently caress. Not even S.E. Cupp brought her a-game tonight. I was expecting her to be entertainingly stupid rather than acting like 1st year undergrad Poli-Sci major with ill-informed opinions.
Idiotic guests are really only entertaining if there's an equivalently strong opposing force to push back at their idiocy and/or just mock them, the rest of the panel wasn't just up to it in this case. I have yet to see a panel in any forum where Cupp just doesn't ruin it overall though, the problem is her level of idiocy isn't some outlier on cable news or political opinion in general. You laugh and shake your head...until you realize her viewpoints are actually shared by millions of voters and people in power, and she's is rewarded exorbitantly in proportion to people who actually struggle daily to contribute something of value. It's far more anger and disgust than amusement for me, partly in this format because Bill would never let a guest truly eviscerate her and call her out like she deserves.

gently caress, I'm only a third of the way into this (doubt I'll be able to finish) and she just completely contradicted herself after a string of idiotic statements.

First off, the "Work is dignity. Work is good." is such a laughably simplistic statement, albeit I realize it's just another tenant in the right's Bible (and to a certain extent it's ingrained in the puritan mindset of a large segment of the populace) so the wingnuts are obligated to robotically keep making GBS threads it out. So by that logic, a position that solely entails distributing false statements about a political opponent at the behest of a Super PAC equates to "dignity"? It contributes to the country's productivity as a whole? A single mom who has no other option than to take a job as a Wallmart greeter and dump her kids off at an unlicensed daycare so she can afford to get her kids to get a dental checkup once ever 3 years is skipping home everyday because she's working, and that's "good"?

So Bill counters with the Long John Silver's fish fryer example, and then Cupp responds with "I wish everyone had the luxury of saying no to a lovely job" - wait, what? Just 10 seconds ago you claimed that work - any work - is intrinsically good by definition. She then does a double back-flip into her own poo poo and follows that up with "The problem is that there are no jobs available!" - so how does this do anything but bloody well support the CBO's projections? It's not saying "Obamacare means 2.5 million jobs will be lost", it's actually saying that a small segment of the population might not choose to seek work if the only reason they would accept that lovely job otherwise would be for the companies health insurance. The jobs are still there - they've now basically been returned to the open market where there's millions more waiting for that position to be made available, just as Cupp herself said.

And really, who would take a job based on that carrot of health insurance alone, or at least as the primary qualifier? A healthy 20-something is not going to take a job out of a fear they might get an attack of appendicitis and want to be prepared. Odds are the type of individual seeking or staying in a position due primarily to health insurance is an elderly employee who probably shouldn't be working a full time position in the first place, or someone with a dependent who has costly medication/Dr visits to maintain, which in turn puts a disproportionate drain on that company's health insurance costs. From the perspective of the employer, you generally want healthy employees with energy and ambition - you don't get that with workers who are there purely out of desperation and are running out the clock to pay for their glaucoma medication while waiting until they reach medicare eligibility.

This basically ties into the other fallacy, "work is good" goes hand in hand with equally shallow "continuous growth is the end goal" as it relates the economy. Which could possibly be a truism if GDP wasn't actually venerated as a net positive (when it says nothing of the sort), and more importantly if space and resources weren't finite - the climate is making that very clear that they indeed are, and making that point increasingly rapidly with potentially disastrous consequences.

In effect, we've just been putting the expenses of continual growth on layaway for the majority of the industrialized worlds existence, and now the environment is saying "S'up. Oh btw...the bill's due. PAY UP."

fake edit: boy that was a lot of words on a show I don't particularly care for

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The only thing worse than S.E. Cupp is 2 baby boomers sucking their own dicks about how their generation is totally not full of entitled whiny retards because they didn't have cell phones as kids or whatever.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I dunno Bill telling her even she'll be an old hag one day looked like it got through a little.

She really has nothing to offer beyond being eye candy. At least Fox News was honest about it when she worked for them.

zVxTeflon posted:

The only thing worse than S.E. Cupp is 2 baby boomers sucking their own dicks about how their generation is totally not full of entitled whiny retards because they didn't have cell phones as kids or whatever.

Yeah the irony there was so thick you could build a bomb shelter.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 8, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I have yet to see a panel in any forum where Cupp just doesn't ruin it overall though, the problem is her level of idiocy isn't some outlier on cable news or political opinion in general.

I caught a few episodes of The Cycle on MSNBC when she used to be a co-host. It used to be her and three liberals and initially she spoke her mind, said stupid things and got throttled for them by the other hosts, but then she went into mercenary mode and started saying things that lined up a little better with the lopsided liberalism of the panels, if she was ever able to get a word in edgewise usually.

I guess since she's moved to CNN and Glenn Beck's basement studio Internet show she's been freer to let her ill formed opinions fly in their natural state. It's a really weird dichotomy going on with her, how a person can be wicked smart on a survivalist level, yet so prone to cognitive dissonance on a political one.

E:

zVxTeflon posted:

Yeah, that was pretty :allears: to watch. The only thing better is Bill flying off the handle about kids doing bullshit majors in college and expecting the world when the man himself graduated from Cornell with a BA in English Lit. :jerkbag:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 8, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zVxTeflon posted:

God that was terrible.

Also, hey SE Cupp, the biggest disincentive to work IS WORK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Idiotic guests are really only entertaining if there's an equivalently strong opposing force to push back at their idiocy and/or just mock them, the rest of the panel wasn't just up to it in this case...

zVxTeflon posted:

You two pretty much said everything I wanted to say. S.E. Cupp was horrible and Bill and P.J. acting as if the average American child lives a life of a rich suburbanite is even worse.