Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It was mostly a joke. I just haven't watched Power Rangers since Wild Force. I'm also not terribly interested in doing so. I tried to watch RPM because I liked Go-onger so much, but it was so offensively dumb I just couldn't make it more than a couple of episodes in.

It got much better as it went on. But yeah if you hated the first few episodes then you probably wouldn't like it.

Mostly it's the goddamn hilarity of turning Go-Onger into a serious and grim post-apocalyptic world.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVrTsryg_CM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
You like Go-onger, but found RPM offensively dumb?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Go-onger completely owned how incredibly silly things were. "Evil robots from another dimension who want to pollute our world are opposed by gigantic sentient cars which look like animals and have anime eyes." I don't know what made Disney decide that show was the one to turn into a grimdark post-apocalypse series, but the mismatch just put me off in a big way.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Go-onger completely owned how incredibly silly things were. "Evil robots from another dimension who want to pollute our world are opposed by gigantic sentient cars which look like animals and have anime eyes." I don't know what made Disney decide that show was the one to turn into a grimdark post-apocalypse series, but the mismatch just put me off in a big way.

Disney gave no fucks. That was supposed to be the end so the writers were allowed to do whatever they wanted and RPM is the result.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^ Same thing with In Space. Given no limits, it turns out that they can make drat good PR.

Box of Bunnies posted:

Best Red Ranger? Well, technically...

The best thing about that episode is that when each of the previous Rangers does their dramatic reveal-turn, they all have very stoic :greynonsmileywhateveritis: looks on their faces. That guy? Pure :smuggo:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

To each his own, I only made it half way through Go-onger before I couldnt stand it anymore.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

JT Smiley posted:

To each his own, I only made it half way through Go-onger before I couldnt stand it anymore.

I hope you watched the Shinkenger crossover, at least, just for the amazingness of Sousuke getting to use a Shinkenger power-up :v:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Liar Lyre posted:

Disney gave no fucks. That was supposed to be the end so the writers were allowed to do whatever they wanted and RPM is the result.

Which, as we all know, was also the case for In Space. Can't wait for Nick to say they're ending the franchise, it'll make a great third final season.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Which, as we all know, was also the case for In Space. Can't wait for Nick to say they're ending the franchise, it'll make a great third final season.

Please for the love of god let it be Kyouruger. I'd love to see some grimdark dino dancing.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Coq au Nandos posted:

Please for the love of god let it be Kyouruger. I'd love to see some grimdark dino dancing.

Whatever winds up happening with Kyoryuger, it won't be as good as Dino Thunder. That gave us the "teens with attitude plus dinosaur superheros" formula with kids from different cliques coming together in a way that was believable and made sense instead of "oh they're all best friends and perfect A students just because" like MMPR and managed to actually make Tommy an interesting-ish character. The only problem was the source material-forced iffyness with Trent.

I know we're still two or three years out from it but I will say now that Kyoryuger's adaptation won't be anywhere near a third as good as Dino Thunder.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I wonder if they'll make their own Torin, like was done for Doggy Kruger, or just have Toei ship over a spare.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Speaking of Kyoryuger adaptations: Say hello to Dino Charge.

I guess low ratings and sales let Saban skip Gobusters? While I'll happily check out the Kyoryuger adaptation (as much as I will the Gokaiger one), I'm disappointed they didn't even try and do Gobusters. :( It's one of my favorites, and there's such cool designs in it. But I guess between the content and lack of stock morphs, they just wanted to go for the guaranteed sell. The story's certainly different, at least. I wonder what aspects of the Beast Batteries they'll keep?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

This means up they can't skip this year's Sentai, and those costumes look so silly I can't wait how serious Saban will try to play it. :getin:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Hunting crystals? Wasn't that Overdrive's plot?

Will English-Daigo turn out to be a robot as well?! :aaa:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
By skipping GoBusters, they still wont be doing another team up for a long while.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
That's so drat weird. Why skip Go-busters but use Gosieger?! Especially when you're forced to cram two unrelated shows together in order to do it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Because GoBusters toys apparently did terrible and they would have to reshoot pretty much everything AND Goseiger was pretty easy to adapt and had the cards stuff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Wasn't Go-Busters meant to be a sort of "apology" to Saban for how hard it was going to be to adapt Gokaiger? And I thought Saban was contractually obligated to adapt every sentai season anyway.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

jivjov posted:

Wasn't Go-Busters meant to be a sort of "apology" to Saban for how hard it was going to be to adapt Gokaiger? And I thought Saban was contractually obligated to adapt every sentai season anyway.

The article doesn't say they are skipping Go-Busters. Sure, with a name like Dino Charge there is little room for interpretation, but I would not be surprised to see the two series melded together in some fashion. Maybe the Gobusters will be the bad guys? I dunno.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Give Go-Busters to Toonami and just dub it. They could get all the toys out for xmas 2014 and have Dino Charge ready for 2015

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Wasn't Go-Busters meant to be a sort of "apology" to Saban for how hard it was going to be to adapt Gokaiger?

What about Go-Busters came off as deliberately easy to adapt? Between the amount of out-of-suit combat, the recurring villains being actual people and not dudes in costumes, the Buddyroids being important to both using the Buster Machines and the mid-season upgrades and the really goofy weaknesses it probably has so little actually usable footage for adapting that skipping it actually makes alot of sense.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

People say that because the morphing brace, well, is called a morphing brace and screams IT'S MORPHIN TIME, then they all pile into Go-Buster-Oh as Megazords stomp around.

If anything, it's sort of Toei showing their appreciation for Power Rangers' terms.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Brother Enty posted:

What about Go-Busters came off as deliberately easy to adapt? Between the amount of out-of-suit combat, the recurring villains being actual people and not dudes in costumes, the dyroids being important to both using the Buster Machines and the mid-season upgrades and the really goofy weaknesses it probably has so little actually usable footage for adapting that skipping it actually makes alot of sense.

Most of the things you list have been worked around in the past. We've gotten original vilians that replace Japanese ones, they shoot tons of original in suit footage, Buddyroids are toys to sell to kids and the weakness's can easily be removed or changed.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

JT Smiley posted:

Most of the things you list have been worked around in the past. We've gotten original vilians that replace Japanese ones, they shoot tons of original in suit footage, Buddyroids are toys to sell to kids and the weakness's can easily be removed or changed.

These things all add up, though. It's harder to change Enter and Escape because they aren't the usual Sentai villains of just hanging around a base and giving orders until the series finale. Any scenes of them creating Metaroids or fighting the Go-Busters(which they do frequently) all have to be cut. Buddyroids can be sold but because so much of their interaction with the Go-Busters is out of suit it would all have to be new footage so they're a problem whether you cut them or leave them in. The weaknesses can be cut but then that's even more footage that's unusable. If there was just one weird thing about Go-Busters that they'd have to work with I'd see your point but it's a dozen little things like this all making it way more complicated than Saban is used to so I don't blame them for looking at the dinosaurs and wanting to just go straight for that.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Dino-Samba Megazord :getin:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Coq au Nandos posted:

I'm not entirely sure how, but I've been watching a fuckload of Go-Busters over the past week or so. It's really good, but I can see how it might be lard to localise.

:smug:

I can see them using Go Busters as some allied rangers or something in Dino Samba, if we're lucky. Between the Buddyroids, the morphing footage, the villains, the rangers literally slitting the throats of those mook guys, Blue Buster breaking a monster over his knee, Red Buster's cock issue, and the later monsters literally having MESSIAH painted on their limbs, Go Busters was always going to be a struggle to localise.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Zedd posted:

Dino-Samba Megazord :getin:

I'm just wondering whether we'll see a new Dino Charge Megazord cockpit or the raw footage with KYORYUZIN/PLEZU-OH/SPINO-DAIOH still plastered across the background.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
DELUXE KYORYUZIN MEGAZORD! WITH LIGHTS AND SOUNDS!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It's adorable that you all think Saban's going to keep the Samba music.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

They'll replace it with lovely in-house/license-free hip hop.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Brother Entropy posted:

These things all add up, though. It's harder to change Enter and Escape because they aren't the usual Sentai villains of just hanging around a base and giving orders until the series finale. Any scenes of them creating Metaroids or fighting the Go-Busters(which they do frequently) all have to be cut. Buddyroids can be sold but because so much of their interaction with the Go-Busters is out of suit it would all have to be new footage so they're a problem whether you cut them or leave them in. The weaknesses can be cut but then that's even more footage that's unusable. If there was just one weird thing about Go-Busters that they'd have to work with I'd see your point but it's a dozen little things like this all making it way more complicated than Saban is used to so I don't blame them for looking at the dinosaurs and wanting to just go straight for that.

After the complete 180 that was the RPM adaptation of Go-onger I don't think anything is really out of the realm of possibility. Hell, I think adapting Gokaiger would be far more difficult a task.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's adorable that you all think Saban's going to keep the Samba music.

There's no way in hell the pre-morph dance stays, no way.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

JT Smiley posted:

Hell, I think adapting Gokaiger would be far more difficult a task.
That would be true if they needed 40 episodes of material instead of just 20.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

JT Smiley posted:

After the complete 180 that was the RPM adaptation of Go-onger I don't think anything is really out of the realm of possibility. Hell, I think adapting Gokaiger would be far more difficult a task.

There's no way in hell the pre-morph dance stays, no way.

Disney did RPM. This is lazy cheap saban we're talking about.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Kinda sad Go-Busters won't be adapted, but oh well.

In other news, a picture on the official power rangers facebook page got over 2100 likes.

This means that Nick is gonna post the first episode of Super Megaforce at some point tomorrow. Here's hoping Red learned how to emote during the break.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Here's hoping Red learned how to emote during the break.

Yeah, about that.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h7APn20a_o

Also, I love how Gosei had access to all these amazing powers from the get go and just never mentioned it. It truly is amazing how much of a dick he is.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

All the rangers that preceded you

Like Time Force and SPD

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

JT Smiley posted:

Yeah, about that.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h7APn20a_o

Also, I love how Gosei had access to all these amazing powers from the get go and just never mentioned it. It truly is amazing how much of a dick he is.

Don't act like Zordon was a charitable soul all the time. Why did he have to hide the White Ranger from everyone else? Huh? I smell a conspiracy.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
He didn't really hide anything from them, he just waited till it was finished to tell them.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

He certainly hid the Zeo Command Centre from everyone else, building it in the basement and thoughtfully putting up manequins of the MMPR suits. And also had veritable armies of Zords sitting in garages somewhere waiting to be used on a moment's notice.

For a big floating head, he's pretty tricksy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
First Episode

Here we go folks.