Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

Probably the cost of trying to give tax breaks away to everything they can.

That too. :v: Also probably because the sky is blue, the wind is blowing, and there's snow on the ground. All perfectly acceptable reasons to spend more money that we don't really have.

Anyway:

AIO Wireless just got the Moto G and the ZTE Sonata 4G to use on its network.

The Moto G (which isn't on their site yet) will be $149.99 and the ZTE Sonata 4G is $79.99. The ZTE is exclusive to AIO in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Entire Universe posted:

Probably the cost of trying to give tax breaks away to everything they can.

Or a backwards/technophobic state whose legislature is stuck in the 80s and still thinks that mobile phones are a luxury item only enjoyed by the top 5%.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Geoj posted:

Or a backwards/technophobic state whose legislature is stuck in the 80s and still thinks that mobile phones are a luxury item only enjoyed by the top 5%.

Well it's that and the fact they put a new baseball stadium that no one wanted and tore down the old one which was still fine. Tax payers are still kind of paying for that. They also tacked on a "restaurant tax" just to get more money that way too.

Either way, NE is backwards and lovely. I could literally walk across the border into Iowa (since I live right next to it), the most boring state in the country, and get cheaper bills.

In cheap phone news, US Cellular (are they a prepaid carrier now?) has the Moto G for $99 after instant rebate.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

ThermoPhysical posted:

US Cellular (are they a prepaid carrier now?)

They have been for a while now.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

T-Mobile just won the lawsuit they filed against AT&T for the color of AIO Wireless' logo.

So, I guess AIO will have a different logo color or something now? That or AT&T will appeal because it's seriously nothing close to T-Mobile's color but I guess it's cool for companies to own colors now. :v:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/02/08/t-mobile-wins-lawsuit-against-atts-aio-wireless-for-magenta-trademark-infringement/

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ThermoPhysical posted:

I guess it's cool for companies to own colors now. :v:

Maybe they figured since Apple owns geometric shapes why not get in on the crazy vague trademark/paten bandwagon?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Geoj posted:

Maybe they figured since Apple owns geometric shapes why not get in on the crazy vague trademark/paten bandwagon?

Ah well.

It seems the general public is cool with this considering all of the comments on the article I posted saying how it "makes sense" that T-Mobile can do this and it's ok.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I'm visiting Florida with some relatives in a week or so. We are in need of a gps but google maps sucks and won't let me use it offline. If I were to use my own service from Sweden my service provider will molest me financially and buying a gps just for a week in the US seems like a waste. Does anyone have any idea if the Nexus 4, which there is apparently no region specific models of, that I bought in Europe, works in the US? If so I could buy a prepaid card with a gig or two of data and use that with the gps so we can get around.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Torabi posted:

I'm visiting Florida with some relatives in a week or so. We are in need of a gps but google maps sucks and won't let me use it offline. If I were to use my own service from Sweden my service provider will molest me financially and buying a gps just for a week in the US seems like a waste. Does anyone have any idea if the Nexus 4, which there is apparently no region specific models of, that I bought in Europe, works in the US? If so I could buy a prepaid card with a gig or two of data and use that with the gps so we can get around.

As mentioned in the other thread, if you can find a way to order the T-Mobile $30 plan, that would be your best bet. It would have 5 gigs of high speed data (plenty for the week) and 100 minutes/unlimited texts. Florida is bathing in T-Mobile coverage, so it should work out great for your needs.

Logistically, it may be difficult to pull this off, but it's the cheapest/easiest bet. Would work perfectly fine on the Nexus 4 (be sure to get a micro-SIM).

That or maybe a gas station/etc. prepaid plan or something. The biggest obstacle will be having a US address, so I'd recommend asking your US based relatives to order the T-Mobile $30 plan now so that the SIM is waiting on you:

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Scroll down and the $30 plan is about 3/4 the way down on the left. They make it purposefully had to find how to sign up for it, but you should be able to figure it out.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

hotsauce posted:

As mentioned in the other thread, if you can find a way to order the T-Mobile $30 plan, that would be your best bet. It would have 5 gigs of high speed data (plenty for the week) and 100 minutes/unlimited texts. Florida is bathing in T-Mobile coverage, so it should work out great for your needs.

Logistically, it may be difficult to pull this off, but it's the cheapest/easiest bet. Would work perfectly fine on the Nexus 4 (be sure to get a micro-SIM).

That or maybe a gas station/etc. prepaid plan or something. The biggest obstacle will be having a US address, so I'd recommend asking your US based relatives to order the T-Mobile $30 plan now so that the SIM is waiting on you:

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Scroll down and the $30 plan is about 3/4 the way down on the left. They make it purposefully had to find how to sign up for it, but you should be able to figure it out.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God
I used OsmAnd Maps & Navigator last time I went out of the country- Download the state maps ahead of time and it works like a charm. You can even download points of interest and all that.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand

walumachoncha
Jul 22, 2004
fraeulin doesn't like linux/GNOME :(
Can't you just buy the sim online and send it to the hotel's address? Call the hotel so they know it's coming, are cool with it, etc.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Even then, given T-Mobile's predilection to having website problems it could take 2-3 days to activate even after he has his hands on the sim. It took me the better part of 4 days to get my wife's phone working on the dork plan after receiving my starter kit.

If he really just needs it for navigation I'd second the previous suggestion of installing a navigation app that stores map data locally. This is the kind of thing where if you had a month of lead time you could have the starter kit shipped over by friends/family in the US and jump through the hoops to have it activated in time for the trip, but he'd likely get his phone working just in time to leave again.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 9, 2014

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

We are visiting a relative while we are there. But we realized that we can't use our own phone's gps a bit too late. But that free app Dark Soulx linked seems like a good option.

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker

Torabi posted:

Thanks. I'll look into it.

I've also seen older model GPS used on amazon for like $25. I'd just go that route.

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm hopping into a chat with them now, I can ask about #1. As for #2, I'm not sure but I do know data is much faster on AIO than it was on ST and has no slow downs or drops. ST was basically postpaid as that's what America Movil paid for (it allowed for roaming on T-Mobile, etc) so I'm not 100% on that.

EDIT:
I ended up called.

Yes, AIO does have nanoSIMs, you can go to an AIO store or call them to have one mailed.

I didn't ask about #2 because I don't think the guy I was talking to would know. Seriously, I'm really loving lost right now. :(

I DID confirm some other things:

• You must call in (or do it online or over chat) and switch to the new plans. If you are already on an old plan with Auto Pay, you can still receive the $5-off if you call in and switch to the new plan.
  • You can also call in if you're on the old Smart plan, switch to the new Pro, and get $5 off with AutoPay and basically pay $55 yet again but get 3GB more data. I just did that.
  • Holy poo poo am I confused right now because the guy kept giving me weird math so I'm gonna call them back later. :confused:

Do you know if the autopay requires being pulled from a checking account, or can be done with a credit card? It sounds stupid, but I hate companies that require autopays from checking accounts, since once they take your money it's gone, but a credit card can at least issue a chargeback if there's a discrepancy.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

sublyme posted:

Do you know if the autopay requires being pulled from a checking account, or can be done with a credit card? It sounds stupid, but I hate companies that require autopays from checking accounts, since once they take your money it's gone, but a credit card can at least issue a chargeback if there's a discrepancy.

When you sign up, you need to enter a card to buy a plan and SIM card. Autopay will come out of that card.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I'm glad I waited to sign up for the T-Mo dork plan, the AIO basic plan seems way better for only $5 more per month. The SIM is :10bux: instead of a penny but for way better coverage I'll gladly pay it.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 15, 2014

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Just so you guys know, if you're going with Aio, make sure you port your number over. I ordered a sim card and got a new number so I could compare it to T-Mobile. Just got done chatting with tech support, they said they can't port my number over unless I wait for my account to be cancelled and do it then. Seems kind of dumb. Then again, the guy I spoke to on the phone before that told me I could port a number using the Aio app...

On a semi-related note, does anyone know why Google Voice won't port numbers from certain areas?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
There's a new t-mobile MVNO that gives you 1 gig of data for $15 a month, with unlimited calling/texting. The catch with the calling/texting is that it has to be done through their VOIP app which makes no sense.

http://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/comments/1xr20s/a_game_changer_new_mvno_offering_unlimited/

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

For Straight Talk, can I buy a AT&T Sim Card from a AT&T store and set up the phone online? Or do I need to order their starter kit with their specific sim card?

IS AIO any different?

For reference my GF just bought a Nexus 5 and I am trying to figure out the quickest, cheapest, and easiest way to get her phone activated.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

NNick posted:

For Straight Talk, can I buy a AT&T Sim Card from a AT&T store and set up the phone online? Or do I need to order their starter kit with their specific sim card?

IS AIO any different?

It needs to be a Straight Talk sim card, either from WalMart or from their website.

AIO is owned underneath AT&T and has a few different roaming privileges IIRC but otherwise is a similar service.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

It needs to be a Straight Talk sim card, either from WalMart or from their website.

AIO is owned underneath AT&T and has a few different roaming privileges IIRC but otherwise is a similar service.

AIO doesn't have roaming, but it does have higher priority than Straight Talk. America Movil, the company that owns TracFone, paid AT&T to allow people to roam on T-Mobile if you need to. GoPhone and AIO, owned by AT&T, don't roam.

The other difference is customer service is a LOT better on AIO than ST. It's not completely outsourced like ST's is.

Also, data on ST is still monitored and you can be throttled for the littlest things. People say that YMMV on this, but officially, ST does not allow for streaming of any kind. You MAY be able to get away with some of it, but not much. AIO doesn't care how much you stream or what you use to do it.

Neither AIO or ST allows tethering. Again, people will claim YMMV on this but I wouldn't risk it. Especially not with ST.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I've tethered fine with AIO. Nothing excessive though. Just to hook up my tablet at places without wifi.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know if the nokia 521 supports tethering on the dork plan from tmobile?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Does anyone know if AT&T does data prioritization of AT&T customers over AIO customers? Thinking of switching from straight talk; i think AT&T slows down how fast data goes resulting in higher ping times.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Tethering is fine on any provider as long as the app you're using changes the TTL, I do this often on ST with no issues. This is generally trivial on Android, not sure about other phones.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
This was asked before but no one has responded. Really interested in hearing if MMS on the iPhone with AIO is as plug and play as it is with GoPhone. You no longer have to configure any APNs or do any trickery with GoPhone. Does it working out of the box for iPhone now or is there problems? This is the last thing stopping me from moving my lines over to AIO as it's vitally important to my wife and I'm sure all of you know how important the spousal buy-in is...

Thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

blargle posted:

Tethering is fine on any provider as long as the app you're using changes the TTL, I do this often on ST with no issues. This is generally trivial on Android, not sure about other phones.

As of Android 4.4, the OS itself will let the carrier know that you're tethering so you can't easily get away with it.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone know if the nokia 521 supports tethering on the dork plan from tmobile?

My understanding is that the prepaid T-Mobile plans do not allow tethering. There's not a way that I know of to try hack around this like there is/was on Android.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

As of Android 4.4, the OS itself will let the carrier know that you're tethering so you can't easily get away with it.

Yeah you end up either needing to do Bluetooth tethering which is a pain in the rear end or plugging the cable in and using something like Easytether. I've found plugging the cable usually is a good idea anyway as it keeps your phone from being dead in an hour.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BeastOfExmoor posted:

My understanding is that the prepaid T-Mobile plans do not allow tethering. There's not a way that I know of to try hack around this like there is/was on Android.

My wife's GS4 is running on CM 10.2 and somehow they know when she is tethering. She has the My T-Mobile app installed and on her last billing cycle it showed 8/100 MB of Hotspot data used (she's on the prepaid dork plan, not sure if this changes tethering.)

e: did some digging, apparently this is (yet another) bug in their system, the dork plan isn't supposed to have any tethering and other people have reported getting random amounts of data (usually <10 MB) reported as tethering when they've either used the majority of their monthly limit to tether, or haven't tethered at all.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 18, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The $60 and $70 prepaid plans include 2.5GB of tethering, as of last fall.

Assuming you're not using PDAnet or something similar to hide tethering.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Fuckit. I'm going to give AIO a try. Tired of paying $45 and like $5 in taxes with ST, at least the auto pay will keep it even at exactly $45/mo. Besides, looking to move the woman over to AIO basic in a couple weeks, might as well test it first.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
By the way, AIO just reduced it's price. The Smart plan is now $50 and the tier above that is $60. Also you data allotment went up. It's now 2.5 with the Smart plan.

You have to manually change it in your account though. It won't automatically switch over.

Looking at a comparison here's what my plan (the original $55 "Smart" plan) is compared to the new Smart plan.

My original:

quote:

Includes:

Caller ID
2GB Data Feature
Enhanced Voice Mail
Unlimited Voice Domestic
Call Forwarding
Call Waiting
Text Messaging
Three-Way Calling
Unlimited SMS Domestic
Picture Messaging
Unlimited VoiceMail Domestic
Unlimited MMS Domestic on PP

The new Smart Plan:

quote:

Includes:

Anytime Minutes National Only
Text Messaging
2.5GB Data Feature
Three-Way Calling
Caller ID
Call Waiting
Picture Messaging
Enhanced Voice Mail
Call Forwarding
Unlimited Voice Domestic
Unlimited SMS Domestic
Unlimited MMS Domestic on PP
Unlimited VoiceMail Domestic

Looks like the only thing added is "Anytime Minutes National Only."

Not sure what that is.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BonoMan posted:

By the way, AIO just reduced it's price. The Smart plan is now $50 and the tier above that is $60. Also you data allotment went up. It's now 2.5 with the Smart plan.

You have to manually change it in your account though. It won't automatically switch over.

Looking at a comparison here's what my plan (the original $55 "Smart" plan) is compared to the new Smart plan.

My original:

The new Smart Plan:

Looks like the only thing added is "Anytime Minutes National Only."

Not sure what that is.

Read the last few pages. :v:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ThermoPhysical posted:

Read the last few pages. :v:

Ha what the poo poo. I thought it just happened for some reason. drat you social media for including me last in your updates! :argh:

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
Question for Aio folks, since I'm getting conflicting answers when googling - if I have an at&t locked iphone 4s, can I use it on Aio without unlocking?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

TraderStav posted:

This was asked before but no one has responded. Really interested in hearing if MMS on the iPhone with AIO is as plug and play as it is with GoPhone. You no longer have to configure any APNs or do any trickery with GoPhone. Does it working out of the box for iPhone now or is there problems? This is the last thing stopping me from moving my lines over to AIO as it's vitally important to my wife and I'm sure all of you know how important the spousal buy-in is...

Thanks!

Saw this on HowardForums

quote:

The ndo APN handles MMS just fine. On an iPhone 5, you shouldn't have to do any tricks, as an aio carrier bundle with all the correct settings should get pushed out to the phone after you activate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

SB35 posted:

Saw this on HowardForums

Thank you very much for circling back for this.

• Locked thread