Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It gets better. I'm getting toward the end of Season 2, and Fringe really excels when it gets into the deeper mythology and moves away from monster/case/terrorist attack-of-the-week episodes. It shouldn't be too long before it picks up steam for you. For what it's worth, I've enjoyed it a lot more than watching Agents of SHIELD and even The X-Files (back in the day), and I'm sure it will end up as one of my all-time favorite shows despite its slow start.

Yeah, I would say Season 1 of Fringe is almost as far away from the rest of the series as Season 5 is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh god that DS9 ending :cry:

That was a great show.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I just watched all five episodes of the miniseries Parade's End with Benedict Cumberbatch and Rebecca Hall. Rebecca Hall was amaaaazing playing the main character's unfaithful wife Sylvia. My first impression of Sylvia was something like, "Holy poo poo, what a thoroughly unlikeable character," but thanks to Hall, I quickly grew to love her and pity her while hating what she did, and somewhere around episode 3 I just wanted her to find peace and be happy for once in her miserable life. Of course being the "cuckolding harlot" character in a set of novels written in the 1920s, that could never be.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Finished the first season of Luther. Idris Alba is good, so are most of the cast, but... the script is kind of irritating in its inconsistencies and poor believability. Like Ian tracking his guy's cellphone in real time with a handheld device, yet nobody bothers to track John while he's carrying, talking on, and answering his cell phone despite ostensibly an all out manhunt.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So I hit season 4 of Farscape and this show. I love the characters and the weirdness of just running with how weird it can be.

However, there's just some things that irk me and they keep happening. Like how returning characters (or brand new characters) just appear without explanation or with a throwaway line ("Great seeing you again on the commerce planet. So glad you decided to ride with us for a bit."). You'd think someone who becomes a principle character would get more introduction that that.

Or they reintroduce someone back to the crew without really announcing their return. Like Rigel and Chiana are reunited with John but where the gently caress did they come from? They just appeared and we're like "we're lucky we found you because we just couldn't make it out there with all the wanted holos everywhere." It's just really disorienting.

Also, this season opener reminded me of that horrible trend in 2000s TV: time-jumps. BSG and Lost did it to great fanfare. Then everyone else was doing it because it was cool except it was just a lazy crutch to reset some of the show's fundamentals because the writers couldn't think of anywhere creative to go with the previous status-quo.

Farscape appears to have done this prior to BSG and Lost but it still doesn't feel like its serving the story. I'll have to see where the next few episodes take me.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah, they did a lot of that. The worst one was where Noranti showed up and you're just like "Wait, who the gently caress is this brand new character we're apparently supposed to know since there is zero explanation of who she is and where she came from? Did I miss an episode?"

Also thought she was kind of annoying.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

eriktown posted:

Yeah, they did a lot of that. The worst one was where Noranti showed up and you're just like "Wait, who the gently caress is this brand new character we're apparently supposed to know since there is zero explanation of who she is and where she came from? Did I miss an episode?"

Also thought she was kind of annoying.

And I like how everyone else is like "who is this? When did she get on the ship?" which is the exact question I was muttering to myself that instant.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Continuing on Person of Interest, we are three episodes into season 3 now and it has started getting seriously good. Particularly the last bit of season 2 where they mostly dropped the criminal-of-the-week schtick and started actually pursuing the more serial aspects of the show. The first bit of season 3 has been okay, but a bit of a letdown after how good the last bit of season 2 was.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

mobby_6kl posted:

Just started with Fringe and... it's not very good so far. The cold openings are pretty promising, but then the literally mad professor pulls out a deus ex machina out of his rear end (usually in the form of "oh I did that before they put me away") to solve everything. It's as if a nuttier and more annoying version of the Lone Gunmen was there every episode to solve the ridiculous mysteries with even more ridiculous poo poo. Drill into a guy's brain with rusty 20 y.o. tools, while lying about the cause of his problems? Sure, why not!

It can be off-putting at times, but it's totally worth sticking with. I remember watching season 1, and being intrigued, but I looked at it like an X-Files clone. It felt like the X-Files, only crazier. But it really starts to differentiate itself from anything else on television towards the end of season 1. There are other points in the series where it will throw you for a loop, and you may be disappointed by a couple of the plot twists at first, but it makes the show that much crazier and better in hindsight. I'm in the middle of season 5, and I can say it has quickly become one of my favorite shows of all time.

And Walter may simply seem like a mad scientist, but he is much more layered than that, and John Noble does a fantastic job portraying him. It boggles my mind that he has been mostly overlooked throughout his career, because he is one of the best actors out there.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Just finished The Almighty Johnsons last week and then Top of the Lake over the weekend (both of which were awesome in their own ways) and now I'm about to start Outrageous Fortune. I think I have a thing for New Zealand now.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

LoG posted:

Just finished The Almighty Johnsons last week and then Top of the Lake over the weekend (both of which were awesome in their own ways) and now I'm about to start Outrageous Fortune. I think I have a thing for New Zealand now.

In that case you should definitely add Nothing Trivial to that list. Not a lot of seasons but well worth watching if you like the kiwi drama style.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Just finished Season 2 of Fringe and started Season 3. It has been a mindblowing weekend at our house. As if the episode "Brown Betty (fka Overture)" wasn't fun enough (reminding me of my all-time favorite Buffy episode "Once More With Feeling" in all the best ways), the Season 2 finale and Season 3's new status quo are outstanding. I can't imagine having watched this show live, ending on that cliffhanger, and even waiting week to week for the next episodes.

Better than X-Files? Definitely. Better than Lost? Pretty drat sure so far.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Trig Discipline posted:

Continuing on Person of Interest, we are three episodes into season 3 now and it has started getting seriously good. Particularly the last bit of season 2 where they mostly dropped the criminal-of-the-week schtick and started actually pursuing the more serial aspects of the show. The first bit of season 3 has been okay, but a bit of a letdown after how good the last bit of season 2 was.

Hahaha, a letdown...

I expect you back here later this week after you've seen the mid season arc wrap up. You'll beg forgiveness for being so wrong, and we'll grant said forgiveness...

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

richardfun posted:

Hahaha, a letdown...

I expect you back here later this week after you've seen the mid season arc wrap up. You'll beg forgiveness for being so wrong, and we'll grant said forgiveness...

Don't get me wrong, they're still very good. It's just that the episodic bits in these first few episodes are less interesting. Not surprising for a show with such long seasons, really. I'm all in regardless, but I'm eagerly waiting for it to spend more time on the longer-term story arcs.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Trig Discipline posted:

Don't get me wrong, they're still very good. It's just that the episodic bits in these first few episodes are less interesting. Not surprising for a show with such long seasons, really. I'm all in regardless, but I'm eagerly waiting for it to spend more time on the longer-term story arcs.
You will not be disappointed.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I just watched a few more episodes with the wife and let me just say HOLY poo poo GOD drat MOTHERFUCK WHAT.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
I recently started binging Farscape (I put it off forever because it's one of the Nerd Holy Grails, and I've found that tends to herald mediocrity and Joss Whedonism. Luckily not the case this time) and I'm almost all of the way through the third season. Overall, I'm really liking the show, especially when Browder's let off the leash and he absolutely chews up the scenery. The rest of the cast is pretty good too, Anthony Simcoe is amazing both as a stern warrior guy and has an amazing sense of comedic timing, and Gigi Edgley was able to create a thoroughly alien and off-putting body language.

However, one thing that I find annoying is how anti-technological development the show is. Many of the antagonists are evil scientist types. The future-human Chrichton was outright sociopathic. Even Chrichton's own search for answers and wormhole technology to get home is often the catalyst for problems the crew faces. And then it has Beowulf-esque "old is good" themes throughout, with D'argo's antique quolta blade being their only defensive tool early on, and in season 3 being the key to Moya's crew's rescue from the self-destructing shuttle. Or, as another example, Rygel's best moments as a person being when he taps into his Dominar lineage and takes queues from his ancestors.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Thwomp posted:

Or they reintroduce someone back to the crew without really announcing their return. Like Rigel and Chiana are reunited with John but where the gently caress did they come from? They just appeared and we're like "we're lucky we found you because we just couldn't make it out there with all the wanted holos everywhere." It's just really disorienting.
While I wished that Season 4 would've devoted a little more time to "getting the band back together" instead of rushing it, if I remember correctly, the explanation was that Crichton never left the Leviathan graveyard, so Rygel and Chiana simply came back after they got into trouble. In my opinion, the worst part in regards to rushing the reunion is what happens next.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 21, 2014

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I just got done watching both seasons of Carnivale over the course of two days. I know that the show got cancelled kinda abruptly so theres a lot of unanswered stuff, but one thing that I might have missed the answer to is did Management really get his arm and legs torn off by a giant loving bear wearing a fez in a WWI trench? If so... what the hell...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
....maybe i should watch carnivale, huh

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I just got done watching both seasons of Carnivale over the course of two days. I know that the show got cancelled kinda abruptly so theres a lot of unanswered stuff, but one thing that I might have missed the answer to is did Management really get his arm and legs torn off by a giant loving bear wearing a fez in a WWI trench? If so... what the hell...

Yes

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Five eps into Justified. It's definitely a quality show, but the one off format, as opposed to serial storytelling, hasn't really hooked me.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Timothy Olyphant doesn't have charisma. Sorry, but it's just how it is.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Five eps into Justified. It's definitely a quality show, but the one off format, as opposed to serial storytelling, hasn't really hooked me.

The episodic elements drop off pretty soon after where you're at. They tend to have the first handful of episodes tell individual stories before the season's main plot takes centre stage.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

WarLocke posted:

I'm about halfway through Sym-Bionic Titan and I have to wonder why it was canceled/only had one season. It really captures all the giant robot show tropes in a not-horrible way and the animation is a joy to watch.

The ratings were good, but the show didn't sell enough toys/episodes weren't designed towards selling enough toys, so it got axed, despite it.

Watching my way through Modern Family. Fun show.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Finished Farscape. Man, that was a helluva Season 4 finale. Was the miniseries/movie already announced or was there uncertainty? That would've driven me crazy. Also, I loved the three-part mid-season arc in Season 4 (and it's follow up episode a bit later). A really nuanced take on Earth's first contact with alien life. The back in the 80s story was a bit weak but the two episodes after that were fantastic. I love the commentary about Earth food with Rigel's addiction to candy. And that follow up episode with the TV special was outstanding. I love that they took the time to explore the aftermath of first contact.

I thought the miniseries was okay. It had parts that were very Farscape and others that didn't feel quite right. It was always an action show but it seemed to drift a little too far into the action side at times. I also felt it was almost too saccharine at times. I enjoyed it but it wasn't the best send off I've seen. The show was more about how insane the universe is and how much its driving the main character to insanity, not so much about galactic conflicts.

Overall, it's a solid B+/A-. Definitely a show worth watching and brings that "drat life out here is weird" feeling to scifi that's often lacking.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 27, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Thwomp posted:

Finished Farscape. Man, that was a helluva Season 4 finale. Was the miniseries/movie already announced or was there uncertainty? That would've driven me crazy.

I thought the miniseries was okay. It had parts that were very Farscape and others that didn't feel quite right. It was always an action show but it seemed to drift a little too far into the action side at times. I also felt it was almost too saccharine at times. I enjoyed it but it wasn't the best send off I've seen. The show was more about how insane the universe is and how much its driving the main character to insanity, not so much about galactic conflicts.

Overall, it's a solid B+/A-. Definitely a show worth watching and brings that "drat life out here is weird" feeling to scifi that's often lacking.

The miniseries was not planned. It was due to people being pissed off due to the ending of season 4. The miniseries was one or two seasons compressed into a miniseries.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Thwomp posted:

Finished Farscape. Man, that was a helluva Season 4 finale. Was the miniseries/movie already announced or was there uncertainty?

No, I sat down to watch the last episode after learning the show was canceled/was ending and you know what happened followed by TO BE CONTINUED. One of the few times I actually screamed at my television set. "WHAT THE gently caress?!?"

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

No, I sat down to watch the last episode after learning the show was canceled/was ending and you know what happened followed by TO BE CONTINUED. One of the few times I actually screamed at my television set. "WHAT THE gently caress?!?"

It was the way Simcoe sold it that sealed that whole sequence. Holy poo poo, I was just floored. (Although I figured they'd resolve it like they did after about an hour of thinking about it. And the way they involved Rygel in the aftermath kinda made up for it because that was hilarious).

One other thing about Season 4 that comes to mind was their repeated use of "everyone is completely screwed, like everyone is about to die or be captured", then commercial break, then "oh we were just lying about all that. it was just a test." Mainly when it concerned Scorpius or Harv.

It was neat once or twice but got kinda annoying after a while.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 27, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Thwomp posted:

One other thing about Season 4 that comes to mind was their repeated use of "everyone is completely screwed, like everyone is about to die or be captured", then commercial break, then "oh we were just lying about all that. it was just a test." Mainly when it concerned Scorpius or Harv.

It was neat once or twice but got kinda annoying after a while.

Yeah, but that was really an artifact of cramming 20+ hours of plot into 2. You can see where they cut out entire swathes of the season to save time (like how Jool shows up for 2 minutes with the planet of the weird head-opening people before they get nuked).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, but that was really an artifact of cramming 20+ hours of plot into 2. You can see where they cut out entire swathes of the season to save time (like how Jool shows up for 2 minutes with the planet of the weird head-opening people before they get nuked).

I wasn't really referencing the miniseries though.

It was more like We're meeting with Scorpius and then he's crossing us and telling his soldiers to shoot us. Break. Oh not really, we still want to meet. We just needed to test that you were sincere.

Or Everyone is free and clear and we have Aeryn back and left Scorpius behind but wait, Harv says John and Scorpius have a connection and Scorpy knows everything John knows so you must go back and save him. Oh wait, they don't. Harv was just lying because he's got failsafes installed to protect Scorpy too and added a couple of extra episodes.

Stuff like that irked me in an otherwise very enjoyable Season 4.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bown posted:

The episodic elements drop off pretty soon after where you're at. They tend to have the first handful of episodes tell individual stories before the season's main plot takes centre stage.

Am I the only one who liked the episodic version then? Those particular episodes weren't the strongest, but I thought the show worked very well that way as well, and could only get better once it established itself.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I just finished The Shield. Wow. I wish Breaking Bad had an ending nearly that good.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Welp now that Live Another Day is around the corner I guess now is as good a time to binge through 24 again. I forgot how slow the first season was.

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!
After seeing it mentioned here a bunch, I've been binging through Fringe lately. I've been meaning to watch it for ages, about half way through season 3 now. So glad I've avoided most spoilers so far, really loving this show.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I binged through the first season of The Genius and it was amazing. I've watched some Japanese variety shows, but never anything Korean. I highly recommend it. You only need to watch the first episode to know if you're hooked or not. I was completely sold on the show by the end of that episode.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?
Is there a place where people rate specific seasons of shows? It's usually either the show itself or specific episodes.

I'm wondering since, after watching and greatly enjoying the first two seasons of Sons of Anarchy, the first 4 episodes of seasons 3 have bored me to tears and I'm wondering if it's just me.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Kane posted:

Is there a place where people rate specific seasons of shows? It's usually either the show itself or specific episodes.

I'm wondering since, after watching and greatly enjoying the first two seasons of Sons of Anarchy, the first 4 episodes of seasons 3 have bored me to tears and I'm wondering if it's just me.

Ranking things is about 80% of non misogyny/live-posting TVIV content.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kane posted:

Head on over to the SoA thread and share your experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Just started in on Boardwalk Empire. Something I've heard great things about but haven't put it aside. Now me and the missus have finished watching the last season of House together, she's agreed to let it be the next thing we attempt.
Hopefully it keeps up the pace from the first couple episodes. It's pretty good.