Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I saw it in 3D.. they did a pretty good job with it. Good sense of depth on scenes that needed it without causing eye fatigue. Picture was a little dark but that's part of the territory.

It's still the same movie though, you won't enjoy it twice as much seeing it in 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Chief
Nov 2, 2007

Sockser posted:

Decided against buying the Rancor Pit/Jabbas palace after seeing photos of them combined.

But the I picked up a hive crawler for $30. It's cool but does anyone else who has it have problems with the legs? It seems like they're designed to work better going backwards , and sometimes they get stuck moving forward.

I wish I could find a Jabba's palace locally...

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Sockser posted:

Decided against buying the Rancor Pit/Jabbas palace after seeing photos of them combined.

But the I picked up a hive crawler for $30. It's cool but does anyone else who has it have problems with the legs? It seems like they're designed to work better going backwards , and sometimes they get stuck moving forward.

Just want to add that I do have this set, and the legs work flawlessly, I can push it forward or backwards as fast or slow as I want without any jams. I particularly love the sound the legs make when the hit the floor. I have only two complaints, the egg launcher has about 2 - 3x the range if you lift the bugs rear end to get the full range of the catapult. My second complaint, and this is extremely pedantic, but I am pretty sure they do not move in a pattern that is realistic for hexapods, see this video for reference.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Great movie. I really loved every second of it.

I hope there's a retool for Wyld Style's cycle somewhere to give it a jet mode.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010

xzzy posted:

I saw it in 3D.. they did a pretty good job with it. Good sense of depth on scenes that needed it without causing eye fatigue. Picture was a little dark but that's part of the territory.

It's still the same movie though, you won't enjoy it twice as much seeing it in 3D.

Of course not, I'll enjoy it thrice as much! :downs:

Anyways I was bored so I ended up building the little mech from the Vermin Vaporizer inside the bag. If anyone has ever built things without opening bags, whats the biggest thing you've made so far?

And after uploading this picture I just realized the middle part is upside down.

Crazy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 9, 2014

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank
Ok, a bit of a strange request for everyone here.

Currently Lego has a buy $50 worth of lego and you get a small set for free

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/THE-LEGO-MOVIE-Free-Gift?icmp=COUS6HomeSH2TheLEGOMovieGWP#shopxlink

The set comes with a small coupon on the back for a free childrens entrance to legoland. I was wondering if anyone had this, who is not planning on using the free childrens entrance to legoland, and would be willing to sell it to me. We just got one, but could use one more to save money when we take a trip to california the first week of March.

bit of a long shot, but I thought it might be worth checking.

Thanks

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Toys r us had the minecraft nether set which I said I didn't want but it's different when you have it in your hands.

But they wanted loving $45 for it.

gently caress off, TRU.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Captain Magic posted:

Great movie. I really loved every second of it.

I hope there's a retool for Wyld Style's cycle somewhere to give it a jet mode.

This is pretty much what I thought for about 5 minutes after that part of the movie.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Fozzie Bear posted:

Ok, a bit of a strange request for everyone here.

Currently Lego has a buy $50 worth of lego and you get a small set for free

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/THE-LEGO-MOVIE-Free-Gift?icmp=COUS6HomeSH2TheLEGOMovieGWP#shopxlink

The set comes with a small coupon on the back for a free childrens entrance to legoland. I was wondering if anyone had this, who is not planning on using the free childrens entrance to legoland, and would be willing to sell it to me. We just got one, but could use one more to save money when we take a trip to california the first week of March.

bit of a long shot, but I thought it might be worth checking.

Thanks

I should have that freebie in my latest order, had no idea about the ticket. I'm happy for you to have it when it arrives if it's in there.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

Asphyxious posted:

I should have that freebie in my latest order, had no idea about the ticket. I'm happy for you to have it when it arrives if it's in there.

That would be awesome, it's just printed on the back of the free item (on the plastic part actually.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Fozzie Bear posted:

That would be awesome, it's just printed on the back of the free item (on the plastic part actually.

Alrighty. I ordered last week so I'm expecting it to arrive within a fortnight.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Overheard two little girls singing the "Everything is Awesome" song from the Lego movie at the mall today. That put the biggest smile on my face and I figure Legos future should be safe if this movie is any indication.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Rythe posted:

Overheard two little girls singing the "Everything is Awesome" song from the Lego movie at the mall today. That put the biggest smile on my face and I figure Legos future should be safe if this movie is any indication.

They've been playing the song on the store's radio every 15 minutes or so. It's reached earworm status, and I don't think I'll be able to stop singing it for months.

Not that I mind!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I finally got time to drive 40 minutes to the 3 nearest Walmarts as soon as you leave my county line-- no Galaxy Squad sets. Someone must have cleared them out the moment they went on sale. drat YOU BAY AREA!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Sockser posted:

Toys r us had the minecraft nether set which I said I didn't want but it's different when you have it in your hands.

But they wanted loving $45 for it.

gently caress off, TRU.

I thought about buying a creator set today because TRU still has that $50+ gets you a free movie ticket deal but the set I wanted, which retails for $70 at places like amazon was going for $85! With the 20% they have going on it would have been $2 less than Amazon but I didn't buy it out of spite haha.

In their defense though they had a free build today for kids where you got to build Emmit's car/jet. My younger son went and got one plus instructions and they just let you have it for free which is really nice. About 50 pieces I think?

And just got back from the movie, first one I'd ever seen in 3d. Don't know if it was worth the extra cash, but it was really great. That's one I'll definitely buy to pause frequently because there was so much detail I probably missed 50% of the background stuff.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Plus you know the extras will be awesome.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The LEGO movie was, as everybody else is saying, awesome. Tons of blink and you'll miss it references and it's consistently very funny.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rythe posted:

My wife's been singing it all goddamn day.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

xzzy posted:

My wife's been singing it all goddamn day.

I keep posting it to Facebook in an attempt to alienate all my friends. Hasn't worked so far. I think they've just started ignoring it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Going down the IMDB page, I can't believe how many celebrities were in the Movie. Seriously, they actually got Anthony Daniels for that one line? Not that he ever does anything else, but still. I also can't believe Nick Offerman was Metalbeard. I can't picture him emoting. Then (not really a spoiler, but I'll tag it anyway since it surprised me) The Lonely Island in Everything is Awesome in the credits. I never thought I'd see The Lonely Island in a PG movie.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I saw an article about these two Cuusoo projects, Wayne Manor and X Mansion and although they're both impressive models I want to know why nerds think Lego would ever greenlight these sorts of sets:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

cyberia posted:

both impressive models I want to know why nerds think Lego would ever greenlight these sorts of sets:

Its the same thing with the custom transformer figures you see vs the actual production toys. If you have a unlimited budget and can use any brick and color you want, you can get super detailed sets no problem. For production its not practical, they need to maintain a profit margin, keep tooling in mind and try to reuse as many parts and pieces they can from existing sets and price it in line with the rest of their product.

Theres a limited market for $400 super sets.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

And I've pretty much discovered that none of the cinemas within decent driving distance where I live will actually show the Lego movie non dubbed because it's being classified as a kids movie. :sigh: gently caress everything.

You're a swede, right? Someone asked about this on Facebook and a SF rep said they hoped to show the movie with the original cast in all their theatres. So there's still a chance if you wait a little longer. Otherwise, I'm probably just gonna wait for it to get on Netflix anyway.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
The amount of detail on everything in the Lego Movie is mindblowing. Some of the figures even have fingerprints visible on the torso or legs when the light hits them just right. The only detail missing was the odd stray hair stuck between two bricks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Saint Sputnik posted:

The amount of detail on everything in the Lego Movie is mindblowing. Some of the figures even have fingerprints visible on the torso or legs when the light hits them just right. The only detail missing was the odd stray hair stuck between two bricks.

I never noticed any bite marks either. Or transparent bits with thousands of tiny scratches from grinding around in the bottom of a tub of bricks.

I'd kill for a behind the scenes on how they set up their materials and lighting for render because everything looked loving perfect. Rendering LDD builds with those settings could legitimately fool people into thinking they were real.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

You're a swede, right? Someone asked about this on Facebook and a SF rep said they hoped to show the movie with the original cast in all their theatres. So there's still a chance if you wait a little longer. Otherwise, I'm probably just gonna wait for it to get on Netflix anyway.

Yeah, I actually went and checked with my local cinema if they were going to and the guy (who is even the owner I think) mentioned they were considering it but nothing was really solid and it sounded he was doubting they even had any space for it anyway.
I know it's being shown in English at the bigger cinemas in Gothenburg/Stockholm/Malmö/other big town according to what my dad checked at the SF website.
Thing is though I live in a rather small town and our cinema is unaffiliated to SF which makes any decision they make somewhat pointless anyway.
So right now it seems like I just have to wait for it to come on Netflix since neither of the cinemas in adjacent towns will show it undubbed either.
Which sucks immensely since my birthday is that weekend. Not to mention both of my parents wanted to see it too. :(

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I just got back from seeing the movie and it was great. I am really happy that there is actually a reason why the Lego store I work at has been playing the "everything is awesome" song every 15 minutes.

I have to say the best detail I noticed was all of the finger prints on the various models.

Edit:

xzzy posted:

I never noticed any bite marks either.

Benny has bite marks on his helmet.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So. Worth seeing in 3D?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I saw it in 3D. It was good, but I want to see it in 2D just because 3D causes you to miss out on some background details.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I loved so much about this movie.

I loved that in a lot of the face shots, you could tell the faces were printed ink; there was almost always a highlight showing that they're raised from the surface of the head.

I loved that the relics were mostly the 'how did this get in here?' detritus you find mixed in with a bin of Lego. Vitrivus's wand appeared to be the remnant of a lollipop. There should have been some incompatible bricks or even clones in there, and random bits from other toy lines like guns or swords or a lone GI Joe leg.

I loved the part numbers coming up in Master Builder Vision.

I loved that the 'rainbow' building style was evident inside the walls dividing the realms--when it's covered up, you don't have to make it look pretty!

I loved that despite the theme of "don't need instructions", Emmet won by combining both worlds. The Master Builders kept failing because it was easy to spot their works and when working together, their styles clashed to the point of destruction.

I loved that I wasn't expecting the live action twist near the end at all.

I loved that all the AFOLs were speculating what the Piece of Resistance was supposed to be, only to be revealed it was a Krazy Glue lid.

Red_Chief
Nov 2, 2007

jeeves posted:

I finally got time to drive 40 minutes to the 3 nearest Walmarts as soon as you leave my county line-- no Galaxy Squad sets. Someone must have cleared them out the moment they went on sale. drat YOU BAY AREA!

I've hit 4 different east bay Wal Marts with no luck on the GS sets.

Why do some some stores have different clearance then others? The Bayfair walmart had the Iron Man Mandarin attack clearance'd but the Davis st did not.

...Also, when does walmart set items to clearance? I ask cause I'm waiting on 9525 - Pre Vizsla's Mandalorian to go clearance.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

My God. I'm the dad. I still have my perfectly preserved super glued Technic sets and always built exactly to instructions. And my best friend of 20 years is the kid, building crazy mechs and fighters.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 10, 2014

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Why glue :(

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Yeah, I took my two boys to see this today and boy did that ending sting. Just yesterday they were teasing me with their grandma about how I have a few sets up on the shelf that I don't let them play with. But, hey, at least I don't Krazy Glue them and some of them are custom builds or heavily modified (i.e., I got the Y-Wing from Clone Wars and made it damaged so that it's an in-between CW and ANH version). Amazing movie, and really made me want to drag out some bricks and play with my kids!

TremorX fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 10, 2014

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hey y'all, keep your movie chat spoilered if you please :). It's not out for another 2 months in this dumb country even though they made it here.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Red_Chief posted:

I've hit 4 different east bay Wal Marts with no luck on the GS sets.

Why do some some stores have different clearance then others? The Bayfair walmart had the Iron Man Mandarin attack clearance'd but the Davis st did not.

...Also, when does walmart set items to clearance? I ask cause I'm waiting on 9525 - Pre Vizsla's Mandalorian to go clearance.

I could easily tell someone snapped up all of the GS / Lone Ranger sets at the Walmarts I saw. The tags were still there with the reduced prices, and all of the sets were gone. The prices were ridiculously good, so of course some pro-reseller went and snapped them up (especially when the Lone Ranger train was $25 in some places). Some guy on Brickpicker admitted to going to 17 Walmarts in his area alone, which is loving insane. I guess the promise of loving free money in reselling LEGO sets really fucks over good deals like this in heavily populated areas, especially where I live.

Oh well, I guess I can console myself in knowing I am a collector of cheap sets, not a reselling scum, and that the nearest Walmart is a good drive away!

Anyhow, the only sales that I found still in stock were TMNT shellracer for $40 (like 6 of those) and the underground lair for $35 (last one). I picked up the lair just to finish my TMNT set of 4, as I was missing out on Leo and Raph.

If anyone picked up spare big GS sets off of this sale, let me know!

jeeves fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 10, 2014

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Drove to three Targets and two Wal*Marts and the only thing worth picking up was the big Galaxy Squad tank/jet thing for $60. Real bummer.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I simply loved the part in the movie where Milhouse, from the Simpsons, was considered to be a master builder, he is such a nobody in the show but is considered among the best builders in the Lego world. Plus it was kind of a quick advertisement for the new Simpsons line too.

It appears from most of the local Walmart and a lot of shopping reports, re-sellers are going to turn a pretty good profit this year from the discounted items.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning

I haven't seen The Lone Ranger, but I had a gift certificate to burn and 5 year old me always wanted to do this and had to make do with imagination instead, so this is for you, me at 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Griever posted:

I haven't seen The Lone Ranger, but I had a gift certificate to burn and 5 year old me always wanted to do this and had to make do with imagination instead, so this is for you, me at 5.

I did this exactly same thing so many times. I used those red wheels that were inside that black 2x4 brick since I had lost the tires a long time before, and every time I did this I'd destroy the DeLorean and have to rebuild it.

drat you Robert Zemmeckis for making me cry as a child.