Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Somehow its even worse than I was anticipating.

I'm rather pleased at how they lampshade the Black-to-Green switch.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It hurts so much. Not the lovely morph or the really terrible actors, but the sound effects. I would almost tolerate all that poo poo if they just kept in the actual sound effects instead of whatever that muted beep beep noise they use as action sfx.

edit: I mean, listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXFDtU6l59o&t=17m20s

Actual sound effects and no million words per second.

Tae fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 9, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Saban can't decide whether to put in laser blasts or just imply bullets coming from the...Super Mega Blasters. (God drat that's a stupid name.)

EDIT: Think they'll ever even try to address why "Super Mega Mode" turns them into pirates?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 9, 2014

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

jivjov posted:

Saban can't decide whether to put in laser blasts or just imply bullets coming from the...Super Mega Blasters. (God drat that's a stupid name.)

EDIT: Think they'll ever even try to address why "Super Mega Mode" turns them into pirates?

I could see them addressing it like they did black's change to green:

By the way, why does this new mode turn us into pirates?
Well, there is a simple explanation.
*Explosions*
Better take care of that you guys.

Anyway, I can't say I really liked or disliked the episode. Rushed, but they did splice two episodes together. Still too talky during fights, but I just need to get over it.

I did get the odd chuckle out of seeing bystanders change race occasionally.

Not to mention I was surprised that they shot original footage for a destroyed mall and school (even if they were cleaned up immediately--Alien invaders attack, but they still go to school?)

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 9, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Updated the OP with ToQger and Super Megaforce in the "new shows" spots. Oh boy!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

By Saban standards it was actually alright? Still not outright good but better than Megaforce.

Although the only major impression it left on me is reminding me how goddamn fun Gokaiger's fight choreography was.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I could come to terms with the Hyper-Tommy-Esque HIYAs and the like...but its the CONSTANT CHATTER that kills it for me. Its an action scene! Kids will be entertained even if all the characters aren't talking all the time!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Getting all "I'll explain later" with why Black changes to Green was funny and yelling the morph calls of the teams they were Gokai Changing into was a nice touch until they kinda just stopped doing it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Saban really thinks kids are retarded, like the one scene where Red, Blue and Green exchange their 2nd weapons. The original just gives one word, the character's name, and the cool switch happens.

Transcript of the same scene:

Green: I need more firepower! Guys, give me a blaster!

Blue: Right, coming your way!

Red: Heads up, Jake! *catches* That'll work!

Green: Thanks! Nice switch!

Blue: Now put it to good use!

And then about 3 more lines. That poo poo was annoying back in the 80's with Robotech. It's 2014, Saban. Kids have Ipads, they know what a tiny sliver of subtlety is.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Tae posted:

Saban really thinks kids are retarded, like the one scene where Red, Blue and Green exchange their 2nd weapons. The original just gives one word, the character's name, and the cool switch happens.

And then about 3 more lines. That poo poo was annoying back in the 80's with Robotech. It's 2014, Saban. Kids have Ipads, they know what a tiny sliver of subtlety is.

I like when they all transformed to Reds and the dialogue for one ranger kept going even after they cut to someone else.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I could even be okay with "I need another blaster!" "Okay here you go!". Having an entire conversation goes beyond 'lacking subtlety' and all the way in to 'actively avoiding airtime with nobody talking'

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

jivjov posted:

I could even be okay with "I need another blaster!" "Okay here you go!". Having an entire conversation goes beyond 'lacking subtlety' and all the way in to 'actively avoiding airtime with nobody talking'

DROPKICK!

:cripes:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

jivjov posted:

Still not as bad as Samurai, when the monsters wouldn't stop talking while getting the crap kicked out of them. That was rough!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

By Saban standards it was actually alright? Still not outright good but better than Megaforce.

Although the only major impression it left on me is reminding me how goddamn fun Gokaiger's fight choreography was.

Aggreed. Much more watchable. Every fight scene is hilarious comparing Don to Jake. The awesome footage they get to use really helps. My kid has to have a Morpher now or else she said she'll be mad at me.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

RBX posted:

Aggreed. Much more watchable. Every fight scene is hilarious comparing Don to Jake. The awesome footage they get to use really helps. My kid has to have a Morpher now or else she said she'll be mad at me.
I probably would have started buying the keys if they weren't all fat and ugly as hell. It's not even the paint job for once, they're just so badly proportioned.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Only reason I didn't buy it already are those dumb keys and how there are no pinks and yellows for me to even justify buying them to her mother. Bad enough I heard they ship only a few Pink and Yellow figures per shipment compared to the many red, green, and blue figures.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

RBX posted:

Only reason I didn't buy it already are those dumb keys and how there are no pinks and yellows for me to even justify buying them to her mother. Bad enough I heard they ship only a few Pink and Yellow figures per shipment compared to the many red, green, and blue figures.
But girls buy less toys!!

The 6" figures for Pink/Yellow are actually really well done. They're well proportioned, paint is good, good mobility. It's just plain black weapons. The Red/Blue/Green figures got Superman Barrel chests for some reason

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

:aaaaa: Why have I never bothered to check out the sentai before! Can't I just pretend that we lost the Megaforce rangers in the invasion and then these guys subsequently appear?

dungeon cousin fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 9, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tae posted:

It hurts so much. Not the lovely morph or the really terrible actors, but the sound effects. I would almost tolerate all that poo poo if they just kept in the actual sound effects instead of whatever that muted beep beep noise they use as action sfx.

edit: I mean, listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXFDtU6l59o&t=17m20s

Actual sound effects and no million words per second.

Something else I enjoyed was seeing how the edited the fight scene itself. Can't show a Gomin getting straight up impaled by a sword for a few seconds until Joe Noah pulls it out.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Flameingblack posted:

The Red/Blue/Green figures got Superman Barrel chests for some reason

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Samurai and Megaforce and now Super Megaforce just really make me sad.

I grew up with Power Rangers and it was always something I could come back to and watch the newest series and it was a dumb and hokey kids show but hey maybe it'd be cool, too, and then they manage to take something as awesome as Gokaiger and turn it into that :smith:

e: Even dumb poo poo like the Pirate Suits being upgrades, and they'll likely never talk about why they're suddenly pirates. THOSE PIRATE SUITS ARE TOO COOL AND DESERVE BETTER.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 9, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Tae posted:

I 'unno, I could take that because changing weapons is a constant thing on the sentai, so at least they were explaining a mechanic on this show, if being hamfisted about it. Doing it again in the second fight sequence two minutes after that huge conversation on switching weapons tho?!

Anyway, this is surprisingly not garbage! It's not good, but it was watchable. I'll probably check it every now and again for the Gokaiger fights and when Tommy comes back.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Cerony posted:

:aaaaa: Why have I never bothered to check out the sentai before! Can't I just pretend that we lost the Megaforce rangers in the invasion and then these guys subsequently appear?

If you're starting with Sentai, try and watch Shinkenger or Go Busters. Toei's gone on a copyright takedown binge on YouTube recently but stuff is slowly coming back.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Coq au Nandos posted:

If you're starting with Sentai, try and watch Shinkenger or Go Busters. Toei's gone on a copyright takedown binge on YouTube recently but stuff is slowly coming back.
Shinkenger will spoil you with how amazing it is, despite the fact that the only people who have subbed it suck at their jobs, and around half of what makes Go-Busters great depends on you having seen at least one previous Sentai (preferably more than one.) I recommend Kyoryuger, which literally just finished and is a solid, consistently awesome show.
Don't watch Shinkenger before Gokaiger, unless for some godawful reason you watched all of Samurai without watching Shinkenger, in which case I legitimately pity you.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Don't forget that the next Sentai, ToQger is coming out next. That's a great way to get into sentai.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Shinkenger will spoil you with how amazing it is, despite the fact that the only people who have subbed it suck at their jobs, and around half of what makes Go-Busters great depends on you having seen at least one previous Sentai (preferably more than one.) I recommend Kyoryuger, which literally just finished and is a solid, consistently awesome show.
Don't watch Shinkenger before Gokaiger, unless for some godawful reason you watched all of Samurai without watching Shinkenger, in which case I legitimately pity you.

Yeah actually Kyoruger is a solid starting point as well. Legit looking forward to the final episode and movie. I started with Go Busters after not having watched PR in years and it totally worked, because Go Busters is perfect.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I really don't understand why the figures now have to be so over-muscular. I guess all the more reason to stick to the Tamashii Nations versions that are actually screen accurate.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I really don't understand why the figures now have to be so over-muscular. I guess all the more reason to stick to the Tamashii Nations versions that are actually screen accurate.

Now have to be? They've always been that way. Its a mystery why they think the bulgy look is a winner but to be fair I was always more mystified by the choice of never painting the weapons.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Sockser posted:

Samurai and Megaforce and now Super Megaforce just really make me sad.

I grew up with Power Rangers and it was always something I could come back to and watch the newest series and it was a dumb and hokey kids show but hey maybe it'd be cool, too, and then they manage to take something as awesome as Gokaiger and turn it into that :smith:

Yeah, I was really excited about Megaforce, even though Samurai was kind of terrible. I chalked it up to Saban getting back in the sentai game after a long absence and having to find their footing again, but I think I made it through half of the first Megaforce episode before letting my hopes be crushed. Gokaiger is one of my favorite tokus and I'd hate to watch it be sullied.

edit: I wonder if they can get Sakamoto back to direct Dino Charge. It makes sense since he directed the source material to excellence, but I don't think he's done any PR stuff for a good long time. He's not directing any other toku right now, if I recall.

toomanyninjas fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 10, 2014

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well this looks better then the first half I'll give it that much. Though I will miss the voice calling out the team name in Gokaiger I did kind of like that they used the morphing call of the teams they were transforming into (Ex: "Go Go Samurai!" and "Magical Source, Mystic Force!") This will still probably be a trainwreck but I have to admit I didn't hate what I saw.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 10, 2014

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The only thing not yet said that bothered me was the Every Ranger Has To Say Their Stuff In Order thing. My PR experience is pretty spotty (The originals, IS/LG, some random episodes from other seasons, RPM), but is that really common?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

MisterBibs posted:

The only thing not yet said that bothered me was the Every Ranger Has To Say Their Stuff In Order thing. My PR experience is pretty spotty (The originals, IS/LG, some random episodes from other seasons, RPM), but is that really common?

You mean the roll call? That's usually my favorite part of the show.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Dr Tran posted:

You mean the roll call? That's usually my favorite part of the show.

Not specifically the roll call, but the fact that they did a roll call (if only a visual one) for everything. I'm not going to go back and watch the episode for specifics, but even little things like putting a key into the slot seemed to repeated five times for each Ranger.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

Not specifically the roll call, but the fact that they did a roll call (if only a visual one) for everything. I'm not going to go back and watch the episode for specifics, but even little things like putting a key into the slot seemed to repeated five times for each Ranger.

You have to remember that this is technically the first episode. Both of Super Megaforce and of the series that's being adapted. That all starts to fade after time, to be replaced with either a 5-way split screen, or just seeing Red do his thing and assuming the rest of the crew followed suit.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Its to waste time and fill the episode out because they're lazy. It all comes back to being lazy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

RBX posted:

Its to waste time and fill the episode out because they're lazy. It all comes back to being lazy.

I dunno, even the Sentai starts off each season showing full henshins and roll calls and the like. It only starts feeling like padding when you get a full team roll call in some random summer episode that doesn't feature any plot advancement, new gadget or even a HOLY poo poo scene.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I think the biggest problem with both versions of Megaforce is the fact that it's just so lifeless. Because they rely so heavily on Sentai footage and cram two unrelated seasons together everything comes up feeling hollow.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I disagree on the roll calls, watching Sentai there's more than enough that goes on despite 1:30 opening lengths and 2 minute roll calls. I don't feel the same with Post RPD series, they feel so meandering.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Sentai usually shortens it after awhile while PR usually still has to have every character say their line every single time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Go-Busters is the gold standard for jamming the full transformation and rollcall into every episode without it feeling at all like padding. The whole sequence, including all five dudes, was at most 30 seconds :v: