Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Iron Tusk posted:

Ordered the Anova last night in Red. Apparently they had some in stock slated for sales off Amazon, and I think I got the last one as it went out of stock afterward. Got a shipping notice this morning.

What's the first thing I should make for my wife to justify another kitchen toy taking up space?

The zip lock bag salmon. It's like my favorite thing and just wows people in texture and taste. The brining makes a big difference and I've never done the fancy coating at the end beyond some herbs.

I made the Cauliflower steaks the other day and tried the same recipe with broccoli. They both turned out good. The texture was like steamed veggies but they kept a lot more of the flavor and water. I didn't end up with a bunch of vegetable juice/stock either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Anyone done pork loin SV? I was wondering on temp/time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Heran Bago posted:

The zip lock bag salmon. It's like my favorite thing and just wows people in texture and taste. The brining makes a big difference and I've never done the fancy coating at the end beyond some herbs.

I made the Cauliflower steaks the other day and tried the same recipe with broccoli. They both turned out good. The texture was like steamed veggies but they kept a lot more of the flavor and water. I didn't end up with a bunch of vegetable juice/stock either.

Nice to hear some more veggie feedback in the thread!

What temp do you use for salmon and which species? Do you torch them or sear?

The one time I tried making salmon it didn't turn out very well.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone know a guide I can use to help me prevent this in the future?

Here's what happened. I bought one of those pork tenderloins that are in a vacuum sealed baggies in the store with a marinade on em (this one was just cracked black pepper). It stayed in the fridge a few days and it was never frozen. I took it out, set the sous vide to 138F and let it go for 5 hours. It was about 18 oz of pork tenderloin, thickest part being maybe 2".

Everything I had read online suggested between 135-140 for anywhere from 2-3 hours, so I figured I was more than good. I threw it in a cold water bath for about 5 minutes, then took it out of the package and patted it dry, added a bit of salt and seared on all sides in cast iron.

Then I cut into it. It was cold in the middle and it looked completely raw. I didn't throw it in an ice water bath (just using cold tap water), so I'm trying to think of what went wrong. The only thing I can think of is that it was too thick and required longer than indicated online.

To save dinner, I ended up just cutting it into medallions and pan searing everything for a few minutes-it still tasted good, but not as good as it could have.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I just used the SousVide app, from 33 degrees to 138 with a 2" diameter cylinder of pork, and it says 2:32 to complete. If I say 3" it says 5:32.

I'm guess it was quite a bit thicker, frozen (do areas of your fridge freeze?), or something else went wrong.

Edit: as you can see from the numbers, thickness makes a huge difference, with some thickness taking too long to get up to temp safely.

Edit2: 3.5" is 7:14. Basically these numbers are all to core, meaning temp at center hits your bath temp.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 8, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What kind of sous vide do you have

edit: VVV yeah, I'm wondering if the thermometer is off

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 8, 2014

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

nwin posted:

Here's what happened. I bought one of those pork tenderloins that are in a vacuum sealed baggies in the store with a marinade on em (this one was just cracked black pepper). It stayed in the fridge a few days and it was never frozen. I took it out, set the sous vide to 138F and let it go for 5 hours. It was about 18 oz of pork tenderloin, thickest part being maybe 2".
Temperature problem with your puddle machine? A 50mm thick pork tenderloin coming out of a 4C/40F fridge will be pasteurised after around 3 hours at 59C/138F.

MrEnigma posted:

Edit2: 3.5" is 7:14. Basically these numbers are all to core, meaning temp at center hits your bath temp.
3.5" is a fuckoff huge pork tenderloin.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

It's an Anova, and it definitely wasn't any bigger than 2" diameter. I've been using it for the last 4months maybe?

Only way I can think to test the machine itself will be checking the temp of the water with a separate thermometer and seeing if they are both equal.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Do some more tests, see if it can heat up water reliably. Maybe you got a lemon?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

SubG posted:

Temperature problem with your puddle machine? A 50mm thick pork tenderloin coming out of a 4C/40F fridge will be pasteurised after around 3 hours at 59C/138F.

3.5" is a fuckoff huge pork tenderloin.

I did a 3" pork loin that was originally about 16" long (cut it in half and put it in two bags) at 140 for 7 hours and it was definitely not cold and raw in the middle.

Used an Anova, too.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I think I figured out the problem.

Just tried to bring some water to 130F. Measured with the thermapen and at the top was around 130, but not as exact as I remember it being (when I first got it the temp was right on with the thermapen).

Then I tried the thermometer in different areas, high in the water, low in the water, on the other end of the tank. On the other end of the tank towards the bottom it was only measuring around 100!

Took it apart, and apparently the impeller wasn't spinning due to it being caught on the metal inside. No water circulation, so it has only been heating the immediate area! I only have a 12 qt cambro, but still, that would explain why the middle of the pork was raw, because it wasn't being heated effectively, right?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

That would definitely explain it.

The poor motor that runs the impeller might be a little more prone to giving up the ghost now that it's been stalled for 5 hours.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hypnolobster posted:

That would definitely explain it.

The poor motor that runs the impeller might be a little more prone to giving up the ghost now that it's been stalled for 5 hours.

Yeah I noticed a crazy noise the last few times I ran it, so I'm thinking that was it. It always stopped after I turned the unit on/off a few times or moved it a bit, so I didn't think much of it. However, it has a 1 year warranty- so I might reach out to them and see if I need to look at a replacement.

Only thing I don't get is how it could have happened-I've never taken that metal cover off it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Nice to hear some more veggie feedback in the thread!

What temp do you use for salmon and which species? Do you torch them or sear?

The one time I tried making salmon it didn't turn out very well.

Like that recipe says I do 45°C for anywhere from 25 to 35 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish. I've done this with different kinds of salmon, all good.

There are charts out there that give way higher temperatures for fish. Ignore those! Get it fresh, even your local super market should have daily non-frozen salmon. After cooking at 45°C what you're eating is safer than sushi but you still shouldn't feed it to people with compromised immune systems like the boy in the plastic bubble. also practice your best food safety.

Sear for 10-15 seconds on each each. I do it in a pan. Once I used :420: as an herb in this step and it was really tasty.

When buying fresh salmon you want to look for fillets with the fattest stripes of fat. Color isn't a good indicator of quality or taste; color is just what percentage of their diet is krill. Farmed salmon generally has a safer mercury content but isn't great for the environment. If you want to pay out the rear end keep an eye out for sustainable farmed fish.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 8, 2014

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013
If that's the very first sous-vide recipe you cook, you should probably stay away from that salmon.
121F is just not safe. You should cook it that way only if you'd eat the same salmon fillet raw.

On the other hand, you could try cooking short pork ribs for 3 days at around 135F. Immerse them in a bag with bulgogi sauce and they'll come out juicer than they got in (much better than any brining I tried).
Then just put them 10 seconds per side in a hot pan (canola oil smokes at 400F, that's fine) to brown them and serve them on a bed of white rice.
It's basically ambrosia.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My girlfriend brought home a vacuum packed frozen brick of mahi mahi steaks from Trader Joe's. Is there anything wrong with letting that sit in the water bath all day at 55 degrees and then separating them, or should I separate, re-bag, and cook?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Go ahead and leave them in the package. I do it all the time, and it works out great.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Make sure you're cleaning off any stickers really well though.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
So I did a blade steak at 134F for 24 hours, and it was kind of dry and I noticed there was a lot of liquid in the bag. Did I do something wrong?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You should probably not do any steaks more than a couple hours. The temp would have been fine, but over the course of 24 hours the muscle proteins kept tightening and squeezed all the moisture out, creating the paradoxically dry texture.

Extra-long cook times should only be for things like oxtail or shortribs

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anova customer service is really excellent. I e-mailed them my problems and this morning they sent me a return label and said they would take care of it right away.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

You should probably not do any steaks more than a couple hours. The temp would have been fine, but over the course of 24 hours the muscle proteins kept tightening and squeezed all the moisture out, creating the paradoxically dry texture.

Extra-long cook times should only be for things like oxtail or shortribs

I read somewhere that blade steaks should be cooked longer because the meat is usually tougher?

e: Douglas Baldwin,

quote:

For tough but flavorful cuts of beef–such as top blade, chuck, and top round–season the meat and cook in a 131°F (55°C) water bath for 24–48 hours. This is the lowest temperature at which (insoluble) collagen denatures (dissolves) into gelatin, at higher temperatures the denaturing occurs more quickly (Powell et al., 2000; This, 2006).

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Phiberoptik posted:

I read somewhere that blade steaks should be cooked longer because the meat is usually tougher?

I did a flank steak for 24 hours and it turned out amazing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Flank steak is amazing after 24h

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes
Ordering an Anova most likely this month, and I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to go ahead and spend the extra on a chamber sealer vs a regular Food Saver to replace my old one that stopped working. The additional $400+ is a lot, but if it's worth it...

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I've got an Anova, and just using the ziplock bag immersion trick (or the presealed packages from trader joes or wherever) has been fine. I've felt no need at all for a real vacuum sealer.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

Random Hero posted:

How much liquid did you end up with in your bag?

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Featured Creature posted:

Ordering an Anova most likely this month, and I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to go ahead and spend the extra on a chamber sealer vs a regular Food Saver to replace my old one that stopped working. The additional $400+ is a lot, but if it's worth it...

If you are going to be doing a lot of wet stuff that you can not freeze and then vac in a cheaper one then maybe but they take up a lot of space. I just do liquid stuff in zip-locks and it has worked fine so far.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Featured Creature posted:

I got a chamber dealer even before my puddle machine arrived. Heck, my Sansaire still isn't here and I love my chamber sealer.
There are online sites that have good deals on the Vacmaster consumer grade machine, mine was under $500 delivered.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Random Hero posted:

Thanks for posting delicious looking steak pictures, I immediately turned my puddle machine on and dropped steaks in for dinner. NY Strips at 132F for 90 min., it is really so easy cooking meat this way it kinda turns into one of those recipes that are embarrassing to even tell people about after they eat your food and rave about how good it is.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Phiberoptik posted:

I guess try again at 131°F in that case?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Anyone have any favorite offal they like sous-vide? I'm on a kick. Have had some 145 degree calf liver (good), 140 for 11 hours lamb kidney (better!). Sweetbreads are the next obvious choice, I guess... any others?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Boneless skinless chicken breasts. Yes, I know they have no flavor.

However, in the interest of eating healthy, I try and have them for dinner once a week or so.

It's easy to sous vide chicken breast with skin on it because you just throw em skin side down in a pan with oil for a minute and it crisps up really nice.

However, with skinless chicken breast-what would you recommend doing to brown them, if anything? I might just stick to cooking them in a pan like I used to, just trying new things. I tried searing em quick but they just didn't turn out great.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just dry them and sear in a hot pan with melted butter. I usually cook 6-8 on Sundays to make for our lunches during the week.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

No Wave posted:

Anyone have any favorite offal they like sous-vide? I'm on a kick. Have had some 145 degree calf liver (good), 140 for 11 hours lamb kidney (better!). Sweetbreads are the next obvious choice, I guess... any others?

Make trotter gear sous-vide.

Heart is also very, very good sous-vide.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Make trotter gear sous-vide.

Heart is also very, very good sous-vide.
Heart sounds good... temp recs?

For trotter gear if I do it I'll probably just use this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/03/recipe-for-a-healthy-jar-of-trotter-gear.html?ref=excerpt_readmore

Although, looking at it, seems like there isn't much reason not to just pressure-cook instead, as a.) you'll keep the benefits of not emitting any steam during cooking and b.) you're heating the trotter past 160, making any benefits of a lower temp irrelevant.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 12, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

No Wave posted:

eFor trotter gear if I do it I'll probably just use this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/03/recipe-for-a-healthy-jar-of-trotter-gear.html?ref=excerpt_readmore

Although, looking at it, seems like there isn't much reason not to just pressure-cook instead, as a.) you'll keep the benefits of not emitting any steam during cooking and b.) you're heating the trotter past 160, making any benefits of a lower temp irrelevant.

Do it at 135 or so instead and then deep fry it to puff the skin and slice the gelatinous trotter.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hed posted:

I just dry them and sear in a hot pan with melted butter. I usually cook 6-8 on Sundays to make for our lunches during the week.

Hmm. What temp do you cook them at/how long? Same for sear time. Also, do you put them in an ice bath before sear?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Hed posted:

Use oil instead of butter, it will give it a much better sear. If you want to add butter, finish with it instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

I got a chamber dealer even before my puddle machine arrived. Heck, my Sansaire still isn't here and I love my chamber sealer.
There are online sites that have good deals on the Vacmaster consumer grade machine, mine was under $500 delivered.

Where'd you find a Vacmaster that low? Cheapest I've seen is 550 shipped. I'm probably going to buy one in a week or two so I would love to save a bit.