Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Nordick posted:

I've been hearing this a lot, and find it a bit weird. I personally love The Hunt to bits, even moreso than the previous ones. Granted the sounds are a little weak, but the songs themselves are loving killer. Weird thing, taste.
That said, I'm loving the new one as well. Sure it's simple and not very imaginative, but I just can't loving argue with those riffs and choruses and JB's vocals.

I remember one person in this thread that really enjoyed The Hunt and I thought it was you. Like you said, to each their own. At the end of the day, it's still Grand Magus and I don't think they can do an album badly. It's just that they have varying degrees of awesome. And yes, the riffs and his vocals could sell any album to me, but I am a bit biased :)

Measly Twerp posted:

Nobody told me that Necrophobic released a new album last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeFDDtKLC5A

What the gently caress am I listening to...

I think you figured out why no one talked about it. It was... ugh. Tobias is in a gothic metal band now so I think this was a last ditch effort before parting ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

A tour of Mastodon, Gojira, and Kvelertak. That's a nice lineup. And of course it's nowhere near me. More dates to be announced, at least.

quote:

29 April Roseland Theater Portland, OR
1 May Fox Theater San Francisco, CA
2 May Nokia Theater Los Angeles, CA
3 May House of Blues Las Vegas, NV
7 May First Avenue Minneapolis, MN
8 May Riviera Theater Chicago, IL
9 May Stage AE Pittsburgh, PA
12 May Town Ballroom Buffalo, NY
13 May 9:30 Club Washington, DC
15 May Terminal 5 New York, NY
16 May The Palladium Worcester, MA
17 May Electric Factory Philadelphia, PA
18 May Rock On The Range Columbus, OH

Houseplant posted:

I remember one person in this thread that really enjoyed The Hunt and I thought it was you. Like you said, to each their own. At the end of the day, it's still Grand Magus and I don't think they can do an album badly. It's just that they have varying degrees of awesome. And yes, the riffs and his vocals could sell any album to me, but I am a bit biased :)

I also really liked The Hunt but their other albums didn't really impress. I haven't listened to the new one yet, so fingers crossed at least.

Amoan
Nov 5, 2009

LIGHTS!:science:
This new Behemoth album is great. The song who's name is on the album is fantastic! The horns! The full listening of this album reminds me of my first listen to zos kia cultus in high school; the album that turned me into metal

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Apparently Conan is releasing a new album? I always thought they were kinda repetitive and boring, even for a Doom band.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Amoan posted:

the album that turned me into metal

You should probably stay away from large industrial magnets.

On topic, the new Artificial Brain album is up for purchase on CD. I've been listening to a ton of tech death the past couple of months, so I probably shouldn't be adding even more albums to the pile, but this one looks really promising. Even if it weren't for the sick Paolo Girardi cover art (man can do no wrong, I swear), I would definitely buy it just because of the promo tracks, because they are not only super energetic and coherent but also full of the same trippy, occult atmosphere of The Chasm, Demilich, Demigod et al.

I mean, Colin Marston is doing the production, so it could go pear-shaped, but I'm pretty optimistic based on what I've heard.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 6, 2014

satan!!!
Nov 7, 2012

Gils posted:

A tour of Mastodon, Gojira, and Kvelertak. That's a nice lineup. And of course it's nowhere near me. More dates to be announced, at least.

This but Baroness instead of Kvelertak in Aus this month. I'm going to the Melbourne show, it will be extremely awesome. Anyone know how they're going to split up the times for gigs like this? Mastodon is in the biggest font on the ticket, I hope that doesn't mean Gojira gets shortchanged (but either way it will be awesome because all these bands rock.) Last show I went to was Meshuggah/Lamb Of God and LoG we're given more prominence but it was a 50/50 split.

Stupidog
Mar 30, 2007

Amoan posted:

This new Behemoth album is great. The song who's name is on the album is fantastic! The horns! The full listening of this album reminds me of my first listen to zos kia cultus in high school; the album that turned me into metal

Yes indeed! Just picked this up and it's quite a great album. I wasn't too into Blow Your Trumpets when they pre-released it, but I am glad the rest of the album turned out quite nicely.

Also sad to see that Gojira tour passing over my area for the time being.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

You should probably stay away from large industrial magnets.

On topic, the new Artificial Brain album is up for purchase on CD. I've been listening to a ton of tech death the past couple of months, so I probably shouldn't be adding even more albums to the pile, but this one looks really promising. Even if it weren't for the sick Paolo Girardi cover art (man can do no wrong, I swear), I would definitely buy it just because of the promo tracks, because they are not only super energetic and coherent but also full of the same trippy, occult atmosphere of The Chasm, Demilich, Demigod et al.

I mean, Colin Marston is doing the production, so it could go pear-shaped, but I'm pretty optimistic based on what I've heard.

I picked up a copy of this myself, despite already spending too much money this past week. I find that although his art is great, it's getting a bit repetitive, but shooting for a sci-fi theme seems to have changed this. PL always present their releases really nicely, so I'm really looking forward to receiving my copy.

Also checked out the new Prostitute Disfigurement album. Typically gross song titles etc. but the riffs are really fun and I would recommend checking it out if you like the odd bit of brutal death metal. I tend to stick to more old school sounding stuff, but sometimes that itch just needs to be scratched! That, and the Benighted and Aborted albums should tide me over nicely for brutal DM in 2014. I didn't really pick anything up last year besides the Defeated Sanity record.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

nomapple posted:

I picked up a copy of this myself, despite already spending too much money this past week. I find that although his art is great, it's getting a bit repetitive, but shooting for a sci-fi theme seems to have changed this. PL always present their releases really nicely, so I'm really looking forward to receiving my copy.

Also checked out the new Prostitute Disfigurement album. Typically gross song titles etc. but the riffs are really fun and I would recommend checking it out if you like the odd bit of brutal death metal. I tend to stick to more old school sounding stuff, but sometimes that itch just needs to be scratched! That, and the Benighted and Aborted albums should tide me over nicely for brutal DM in 2014. I didn't really pick anything up last year besides the Defeated Sanity record.

You should really do yourself a favor and check out Katalepsy's album from last year, Autopsychosis.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I've also heard good things about the new Guttural Secrete and Deeds of Flesh albums, and I happen to be one of those who thought the new Wormed album was really good.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

I've also heard good things about the new Guttural Secrete and Deeds of Flesh albums, and I happen to be one of those who thought the new Wormed album was really good.

I thought most people liked the new Wormed album? I only saw nice things about it, I just never got round to listening to it.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Looks like Manowar cancelled their Detroit show. This better not happen to the Atlanta show or I'mma be pissed.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Joey got grounded

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Man, and people were bitching about Within Temptation having Xzibit on their album.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Ghost Lion BC.

Also, I would love it if Snoop guested on the next album. The mass flood of internet tears would be hilarious.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
"Yeah. He calls himself Ghost Dog. I don't know, a lot of these Black guys today, these gangster-type guys, they make up names like that."

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

Hulk Krogan posted:

Ghost Lion BC.

Also, I would love it if Snoop guested on the next album. The mass flood of internet tears would be hilarious.

As a ghost and snoop fan, this would be awesome.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Snoop's really starting to show his age.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/02/07/gives-whole-new-meaning-phrase-circle-pit-polish-town-names-traffic-roundabout-slayers-jeff-hanneman/

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, as much as it pains me, I will be unable to attend Saturday nights Manowar Chicago Concert. The Tickets are Will Call. If anyone can tell me a way of having someone else pick them up, I got two tickets that I would rather someone use. No charge.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

I just picked up the new Satyricon and Behemoth discs. I kinda dig Satyricon's sound on this, actually. While I wish they'd go back to the style they had on Nemesis Divina and Rebel Extravaganza...this really isn't that bad of an album. It's slow-paced, experimental sounding...but it's what Satyricon's been doing for a while.

The new Behemoth album rules though.

edit: Whatever happened to Griftegard? They put out a pretty good EP, then nothing.

Rags to Liches fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 8, 2014

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Aubergine Mage posted:

edit: Whatever happened to Griftegard? They put out a pretty good EP, then nothing.

Year of the Goat happened.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, as much as it pains me, I will be unable to attend Saturday nights Manowar Chicago Concert. The Tickets are Will Call. If anyone can tell me a way of having someone else pick them up, I got two tickets that I would rather someone use. No charge.

Could be rough there tonight with metal so loud it cracks the beams.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local/chicago_news&id=9424454

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Gils posted:

I also really liked The Hunt but their other albums didn't really impress. I haven't listened to the new one yet, so fingers crossed at least.

Thanks - tickets purchased for the DC show. Always stoked for a good metal band that shows up in the mid-Atlantic outside of Baltimore.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 9, 2014

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Is anyone going to the Amon Amarth/Enslaved/Skeletonwitch concert in Denver on Tuesday? I usually go to concerts with my brother, but he has school the next day so I'm flying solo and would like to meet up with someone if possible.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
There's been some hilarity going on in Australia with Megadeth and Newsted. It's pretty messy so hopefully this nonsensical series of events makes sense...

- A sideshow comprised of Megadeth, Volbeat and Newsted is announced.

- A few weeks later, Newsted is removed from the sideshow and replaced with Whitechapel. AJ (The promoter) announced that it was at the request of Megadeth.

- Dave Mustaine jumps on Twitter and claims that he didn't ask for anything and that it's a load of crap.

- Dave fires his management team.

- Dave demands a public apology from AJ

- AJ refuses to apologise because he did as was asked.

- Dave packs his bags and cancels all festival and sideshows in Australia\NZ.

- AJ apologises on Twitter and calls the whole thing "Bizarre"

Dave? You still have a very tiny penis.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Anyone else heard the Black Magic album Wizard's Spell? I think I first heard of it through Band of the Week. Definitely seems to be a trendy sound right now but it's also some no-nonsense killer tunes. Raw and wild throwback NWOBHM/Thrash with some Kill 'Em All vibes. Highly recommended.Trying to get my hands on an LP but can only find it through European distros and the shipping is brutal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwK-PNb_iqQ

kirkjames fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 10, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm gonna be in Japan for 3 weeks or so in a couple of months, anyone know if there's a good way to check out concert dates in English?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm gonna be in Japan for 3 weeks or so in a couple of months, anyone know if there's a good way to check out concert dates in English?

Welcome!

No.

I use Last.fm and spending hours of my day scouring band websites.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Hammer Floyd posted:

There's been some hilarity going on in Australia with Megadeth and Newsted. It's pretty messy so hopefully this nonsensical series of events makes sense...

- A sideshow comprised of Megadeth, Volbeat and Newsted is announced.

- A few weeks later, Newsted is removed from the sideshow and replaced with Whitechapel. AJ (The promoter) announced that it was at the request of Megadeth.

- Dave Mustaine jumps on Twitter and claims that he didn't ask for anything and that it's a load of crap.

- Dave fires his management team.

- Dave demands a public apology from AJ

- AJ refuses to apologise because he did as was asked.

- Dave packs his bags and cancels all festival and sideshows in Australia\NZ.

- AJ apologises on Twitter and calls the whole thing "Bizarre"

Dave? You still have a very tiny penis.

Got to get those Blabbermouth hits somehow.

The NZ show is supposedly still on, but Mustaine might have a problem with the colour of the sky when he gets off the plane. I'm glad I haven't bothered getting a ticket yet.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Stoat posted:

Welcome!

No.

I use Last.fm and spending hours of my day scouring band websites.

Oh :v: not a huge loss, it's my first time and I wanted to see the country more than go to concerts, checked a couple of bands and didn't see anything in early April.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Throaat are touring with Natur, they're fun.

These guys are great.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 10, 2014

PsySabreW
Jan 7, 2005

Bicep curls the asgardian way
Trip report from Minneapolis's back to back shows of Amon Amarth & Manowar.

First off Skeletonwitch and Enslaved should of been swapped in the line up. Skeletonwitch had everyone fired up and then Enslaved put 3/4th of the crowd to sleep. Altho crowd really kicked into overdrive when Amon Amarth started playing so the nap probably did them some good. Johan was slamming the ultra special beer on stage that Surly brewing made special just for the show. From Surly's page: Asator Viking IPA, a dark IPA with peated malt, fermented on oak. That poo poo was pretty drat good but felt pretty weak alcohol content wise. Probably a 6-7% at best. I don't if Amon Amarth was selling the hockey jersey's at the other venues but they were selling them there at a 100 bucks a pop for them. So that's an FYI if you're wanting one.

Onto Manowar. I've never been to a concert where it was so loud that my feet got a massage from the building rumbling so hard. People were starting to get worried that the building was going to collapse like the I-35 bridge :v:. Brian Blessed reading off the Warrior's Prayer through Manowar's PA needs to be classified as a weapon of mass destruction. The loudest man on the planet with the loudest PA on the planet... uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuughgggggggghghhhhh :black101:. The merch was pretty spendy but they were tossing in free CDs with every purchase. Normally it's 25 for a shirt but it was 40 shirts and 70 for hoodies.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh :v: not a huge loss, it's my first time and I wanted to see the country more than go to concerts, checked a couple of bands and didn't see anything in early April.

Go to GODZ bar in Shinjuku if you need your metal fix (I'll go with you as my office is there from April!!!)

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

PsySabreW posted:

weak beer and expensive shirts

I'm sure Joey reminded you that they were THE BEST FUCKIN SHIRTS and that the CDs had THE BEST FUCKIN ALBUM ART, right? I would listen to a whole disc of that lunatic ranting at the crowd.

I'd also like to know what kind of beer you're used to that 6-7% is "weak."

kirkjames posted:

Black Magic playing music from 1983

This is great.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

PsySabreW posted:

First off Skeletonwitch and Enslaved should of been swapped in the line up. Skeletonwitch had everyone fired up and then Enslaved put 3/4th of the crowd to sleep.

I thought the same thing at first but in retrospect, the break between Skeletonwitch and Amon Amarth was much appreciated. I would probably be in a neck brace right now if I had to watch them back to back.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
I gave up hope on The Haunted after Unseen and then Peter Dolving leaving, but now they're back with their original vocalist who I liked and they have a quickie little song debuted. http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3276536/exclusive-the-haunted-go-totally-raw-with-my-enemy-studio-video/
Definitely nothing special but I dig it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

PsySabreW posted:

Onto Manowar. I've never been to a concert where it was so loud that my feet got a massage from the building rumbling so hard. People were starting to get worried that the building was going to collapse like the I-35 bridge :v:. Brian Blessed reading off the Warrior's Prayer through Manowar's PA needs to be classified as a weapon of mass destruction. The loudest man on the planet with the loudest PA on the planet... uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuughgggggggghghhhhh :black101:. The merch was pretty spendy but they were tossing in free CDs with every purchase. Normally it's 25 for a shirt but it was 40 shirts and 70 for hoodies.

Was Brian Blessed actually there or was it just a recording?