Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Elite posted:

The series doesn't even have enough girls for the famous anime triple-date. Immersion ruined.

There's uhh... fire fist girl and Sun-Il's sister.

I think that's all of the girls that aren't his mom that we've met so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Demicol posted:

I don't know, isn't the rule that it's not allowed if has a noticeable effect on the world? Wouldn't teleporting to his room/house for example be allowed?

You also can't create something from nothing normally. He can. The degree to which 'the rules' apply to him is up in the air.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Boogaleeboo posted:

You also can't create something from nothing normally. He can. The degree to which 'the rules' apply to him is up in the air.

Yeah but he did that in the spirit barrier where breaking the rules isn't punished as much if at all.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
You can't do it at all, it isn't something that happens with magic as everyone else uses it. Ever. Not in a spirit barrier, not anywhere. Conservation of mass is still a thing that applies to magic as they know it. The zombies in those barriers are spirits drawn from the environment and shaped into zombies. They aren't just magic'ed out of thin air. What his Gamer power does *actually* creates something from nothing, and is described less as magic and more as a miracle. The spirit of the world just going with the flow. As it's that same spirit that punishes people, there's a chance it just wouldn't if he did something crazy.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Boogaleeboo posted:

You can't do it at all, it isn't something that happens with magic as everyone else uses it. Ever. Not in a spirit barrier, not anywhere. Conservation of mass is still a thing that applies to magic as they know it. The zombies in those barriers are spirits drawn from the environment and shaped into zombies. They aren't just magic'ed out of thin air. What his Gamer power does *actually* creates something from nothing, and is described less as magic and more as a miracle. The spirit of the world just going with the flow. As it's that same spirit that punishes people, there's a chance it just wouldn't if he did something crazy.

And this, I think, is why this is a fun comic.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, his insanely bullshit power could make him an unstoppable God, but his insanely bullshit power can also give him ridiculous and overtly insulting skills like it just did. We don't know, he doesn't know, and everyone around him doesn't know what could happen. We have the general frame work of *how* it interacts with the world [Act like an idiot and confuse people a perfectly valid game move], but what in particular it'll let him do is up in the air. That's a bad place for a drama, but a good place for a comedy.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Boogaleeboo posted:

Yes i understand that, but what i'm saying is that the spirit barrier nullifies the consequences for doing such miracles (even if they aren't normally possible). So while he's doing the impossible it isn't the same as using a power in the world because the spirit barrier has no consequences for breaking the rules.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Elfgames posted:

Yes i understand that, but what i'm saying is that the spirit barrier nullifies the consequences for doing such miracles (even if they aren't normally possible). So while he's doing the impossible it isn't the same as using a power in the world because the spirit barrier has no consequences for breaking the rules.

Except that he still brought those 500k Won out of the barrier after defeating the boss monster. Certainly that has an influence on the real world, and it was money seemingly created from nothing.
Unless those things are taken from the environment somehow, like the money was somehow assembled from 1W and 5W coins lying around that nobody would otherwise miss.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

nielsm posted:

Except that he still brought those 500k Won out of the barrier after defeating the boss monster. Certainly that has an influence on the real world, and it was money seemingly created from nothing.
Unless those things are taken from the environment somehow, like the money was somehow assembled from 1W and 5W coins lying around that nobody would otherwise miss.

Yeah it's going to be interesting to see if he really is exempt from the rules like that.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

nielsm posted:

I'll take a guess. Zombies are actual dead people, and the money is the physical money they had at death. Our Protagonist is a grave robber.

Probably wrong, but it's still worth a shot.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ArcadePark posted:

I'll take a guess. Zombies are actual dead people, and the money is the physical money they had at death. Our Protagonist is a grave robber.

Then there's still the matter of where the skill book one of them dropped came from. That's what started the whole discussion, IIRC.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Maybe skill books are made of dead people.

Alternatively, keeping in line with what's already been suggested, maybe they had those skill books on them at the time.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I don't think so. If that was true, then things people are carrying when they die appear inside illusion barriers. That either means copies are being made (which would lead to problems, when it comes to cash and suchlike) or they vanish from the corpse in the regular world. People would probably notice that.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Has it been established that if someone dies in an Illusion Barrier, their corpse shows up in the real world again? I'm kind of foggy on the exact details.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Nah we haven't seen anyone die in one so far.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Zombies are just dead spirits who take a form, they don't have actual bodies(well, the ones in the black summoner's barriers at least. If Jee-han makes an instant dungeon with zombies they might come from his ability) . The drops are created by Jee-han's ability.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

ArcadePark posted:

We already know what zombies are. They are spirits [In the generic sense of spirit of all things rather than 'dead folk'] pulled from the environment and shaped into zombie shapes. They aren't really zombies, there are no actual dead bodies being yanked up to wander around, and there's no way real money from dead bodies could be there. That's why they just 'poof' away, they are going back to their original non-corporeal form. And it's why it's insane he gets loot. One shouldn't be able to get zombie bits from zombies because there isn't any such thing as zombies, and they aren't actually physical in the first place. And yet there he is, walking around with actual physical objects taken from killing them.

e: The real question is is the story going to skew more serious and give him something to fight, or stay generally light hearted and keep it all a bit of a joke. Hopefully it doesn't get too serious.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 4, 2014

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Boogaleeboo posted:

e: The real question is is the story going to skew more serious and give him something to fight, or stay generally light hearted and keep it all a bit of a joke. Hopefully it doesn't get too serious.

I think the best escalation would be some rival/antagonist who has a power that is just as bullshit and silly as Jee Hans. Like say.. a guy who views the world as saturday morning cartoons.

He gets punched into the air and whizzes off into space then turns up perfectly fine 5 minutes later. Whereever you are he can find you in seconds and every time he pops up he introduces himself with a big speech about injustice or power. That kind of thing.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I wonder why he didn't try to make a super jump.
Or at least a double jump. Hell, this one should be pretty easy for him, just make a temporary physical barrier then leap off it, DMC-style. That seems well within the realms of his powers.

I mean it's not teleportation, but you take what you get, right?

Maybe he needs a map to warp place to place? Like he opens it up, focuses on a location, a prompt comes up and boom he's there?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think part of his problem is that creating a move from scratch is a bit harder than just imagination and yelling out a name.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
He should just go to some batting cages and practice not getting hit by the baseballs.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 23, 2021

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I get the feeling he's going to accidentally grind the hell out of that gag skill.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I get the feeling he's going to accidentally grind the hell out of that gag skill.

Man don't get my hopes up.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Calling it now, it gets an instant rank-up every time he does his "Awesome gamer powers!" sparkle pose.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/223225/the-gamer_ch23_by_bap-scans

So refreshing to have somebody with this attitude towards gaining super powers.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I wonder if he's going to end up failing his mom's quest. Some random encounter or Illusion Barrier shows up.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Cynic Jester posted:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/223225/the-gamer_ch23_by_bap-scans

So refreshing to have somebody with this attitude towards gaining super powers.

I think I know why I enjoy this so much -- it really reminds me of the Nen training stuff from Hunter X Hunter! The whole part where they were trying to figure out their specialty and the kind of special technique their Nen power would be. That part was one of the most interesting parts of HxH, and it feels like this whole story is about that.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Why I have this nasty feeling than poo poo's gonna hit the fan real soon? :ohdear:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Why I have this nasty feeling than poo poo's gonna hit the fan real soon? :ohdear:

If the next chapter doesn't become horrific with him returning home after training all day and being full of himself to find his mom dead and his house destroyed or something I'll actually be a bit surprised. This could take a Peter Parker turn in a goddamn heartbeat with the allusions made in this chapter about Wisdom and his gut feelings.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah that was not exactly subtle foreshadowing.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
To be fair, knowing this comic it could just be foreshadowing to Jee-Han getting his poo poo wrecked because he didn't dump enough points into wisdom. :v:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
To be fair, maybe his poo poo isn't about to be wrecked. He did show real wisdom at the end there. Sure he spent most of the chapter thinking about his powers and how best to grind them, but at the end he honestly reflected on the fact his mom is almost certainly hiding something and his friend is doing something that could get him killed, and that getting this amazing power may not be a gift in the end.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
I think he's just realizing he might be getting into something a lot bigger than he initially expected, and that the consequences are very real despite seeming like a big video game. I'm interested to see whats up with his mom. I almost hope he just asks her and she explains it nonchalantly, no big deal.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I think the thing that showed real wisdom was that after reflecting on the downsides, he still kept positive about the amazing gift he's been given.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Really surprised he tried stacking mana shields instead of just spinning one.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

lil baby anime posted:

You can't solve all your problems by spinning them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Gamer - Making grinding entertaining!

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

lil baby anime posted:

He should just turn his shield into a weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Run towards a dude with a spinning triple layered mana shield (with arrows/points on the shields)