Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Lord Windy posted:

Why can't you sell on Steam? Not enough to green light?

Nope not even close. Most of the negative comments I've received point to "there are too many shmups already" and "take it to mobile." There will be a mobile port but it's fundamentally different because lets face it, the standard shmup is pretty clunky on a touch screen device. I've played the Raiden games, it's novelty only.

And I don't think there's too many shmups. :colbert: Greenlight liked that weird bee shooter where you do math too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012
Some progress on my game.

Screw 16px. Cannot flesh out anything at that amount of real estate.

This is my spaceship (fully kitted with weapons and thrusters) sprite (32px scaled up to 96px for viewing convenience).

Now with existing base spaceship sprites, weapon system sprites and thrusters sprites, I can churn out a variety of spaceships ASAP like RPGmaker Sprite Creator. Feel pretty good about it myself.

Oh yeah, a bit more about the spaceships in my game. You get to kit and customize them ala Front mission 3 style where your choice of space ship body generate a amount of energy. You will spent this energy by slotting in weapon system, thrusters and misc system such as repair beam, tractor beam, shielding room, elite targeting system, etc. And of course, these things also cost money.

All these choice is intended to force the player to make a choice between a specialized repair ship with low attack or a specialized attack ship with strong attacks and fast movement to get to sweet position in the battlefield.

To these effects, there will be three manufacturers for the equipment in the demo.
They are:

Enigma Technology Inc - Ship Body Manufacturer. Also provide misc systems to boost defense and repair.

Blackwell Corporation - Weapons Manufacturer. Also provide misc systems to boost damage to specific parts.

Hess Advanced Frontiers - Thrusters Manufacturer. Also Manufacturer of most misc systems available.

Vankwish
Dec 3, 2012

Game Dev
Experimental Marketing Promotion:

I thought you guys would be interested in this little experiment. I'll be writing up a full postmortem of it on r/gamedev later in the week if you are interested in the results.

The finishing line for my game NeonXSZ is finally in sight, but unfortunately it still hasn't been successfully Greenlit. Last week I decided that it was time for me to make some GIF's for the game because they are proving to be so popular recently. I made this:

I was very happy with the results and on Friday, while writing my daily devlog, I asked the game's followers to help me share it over the weekend. As an added incentive I told them that if they shared the gif to other forums/websites I would give them a free game key to give to a friend. Then I suddenly realised that it would be a good idea to open up this promotional idea to everyone.

I wrote up the following rules to try and control things:
http://www.neonxsz.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=280

I wasn't expecting this to be an amazing success - more of an experiment. Yesterday morning I made a post on r/indiegaming where I've had some nice feedback in the past. I checked with the mods there before posting to make sure it would be okay. They said "sure, go for it". Here's the post:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IndieGaming/comments/1xcjx2/our_first_gif_for_neonxsz_want_a_free_key_see/

I tried to make sure that the post was more about the gif and less about the promotion. It had a good result. Within a couple of hours the post was #1 on indiegaming and stayed there for the next 6 hours before a brilliant gif of a cloud eating its own face pushed the post down to #2.

As things stand it has been a reasonable success and very worth doing but it's not going to be bringing in the votes the game still needs. Without any marketing the game averages about 10-15 votes a day with 60% of those being yes. In the last 24 hours it achieved more than 10 times the average daily 'Yes' votes. It received a total of 80 votes with 72 of them being 'Yes'.

The promotion isn't finished yet but with the indiegaming post having run it's course I'm not expecting much extra activity. The postmortem later in the week will have full statistics on hits, viewers, greenlight votes etc if you are interested.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Shalinor posted:

Also, here is a bouncing cat for Screenshot Saturday. I was told I wasn't doing Tumblr right without a cat gif. I am the master of Tumblr. (have we ever traded Tumblr's in here? I want to see your screenshot spews and stuff)

Trading Tumblrs sounds like a good idea, I couldn't really find any in the OP. I just started mine, but here's where I'm going to be posting updates for my RPG: http://dangermomentum.tumblr.com/

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Finally added equippable weapons & armour to the game - check out the hero sprite:

If anyone would kindly playtest this version you can play it at the bottom of this page:
http://gambrinous.com/games/dungeoneering/

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

retro sexual posted:

If anyone would kindly playtest this version you can play it at the bottom of this page:
I played this thanks to that recent article on it, and I agree with the writer - it's a fantastic concept in search of a game.

... which isn't an insult - it's clearly in development, yet it's still fun to fiddle around with, and I found myself going actively "oh man this needs more actual content!". That's way, way more than most games at this stage would be. If you can tighten up the game design and put some meat on the bones, you've really got something here.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

retro sexual posted:

Finally added equippable weapons & armour to the game - check out the hero sprite:

This is still adorable, echo-ing Shalinor's sentiments on seeing what it develops into.

Also:

Hot Dog Day #42
Jun 17, 2001

Egbert B. Gebstadter

I played through the tutorial and the first mission, and I really enjoyed it. However, I found that the tooltips (especially the character summaries) got to be a little annoying, since they pop up so close to the radial menus. It would be nice if there were an option to disable the tooltips and a separate "status bar" area for the character summaries.

E: Also, some of the tutorial messages got clipped off mid-sentence for some reason.

E2: Also, when I went from guest mode to creating my own account, it kept the characters I'd created, but reset my progress on the campaign map. Bug?

Hot Dog Day #42 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 9, 2014

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005

Shalinor posted:

I played this thanks to that recent article on it, and I agree with the writer - it's a fantastic concept in search of a game.

... which isn't an insult - it's clearly in development, yet it's still fun to fiddle around with, and I found myself going actively "oh man this needs more actual content!". That's way, way more than most games at this stage would be. If you can tighten up the game design and put some meat on the bones, you've really got something here.
No worries, I very much agree with the point! What I've just added should help, as will a win condition for dungeon runs (a boss monster, essentially). Then I have some ideas about punishing you when you let dread get too high.

Really it's quite surprising to me that so many have pre-ordered already, given the issues with gameplay

zolthorg posted:

This is still adorable, echo-ing Shalinor's sentiments on seeing what it develops into.

Also:

Hehe yep, though he should go back to the right spot next time he moves :P Will fix.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

retro sexual posted:

A little thing - on a 1366x768 (the most common) laptop screen in Chrome, the play window is too big (vertically) to fit.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005

One Eye Open posted:

A little thing - on a 1366x768 (the most common) laptop screen in Chrome, the play window is too big (vertically) to fit.

Ah yes, that is something to think about. For now you can hit F11 (on windows) to go into fullscreen mode for Chrome. The resolution I'm targeting for the downloadable version is 1024 x 768 px, which will just about fit on that kind of laptop screen. Further down the line I may want to do a 800 x 600 web version of the game (eg to go on flash portals).

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I had my dude with 2 Strength and 3 Armour, going up against a Ghost which had the same stats. I'm thinking that what happened is since both sides are doing effectively 0 damage to each other, that's why the game is stuck with these two staring each other down.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Fuego Fish posted:

I had my dude with 2 Strength and 3 Armour, going up against a Ghost which had the same stats. I'm thinking that what happened is since both sides are doing effectively 0 damage to each other, that's why the game is stuck with these two staring each other down.

I had the exact same thing happen. It was like the game locked up.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Yep I'll fix that in a general way by having draws be OK; say the fight isn't over after 5 rounds of combat the player runs away (back where they came from)

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Does the purple of the item/character parts of the HUD clash with the health bar being white?

There's going to be things in those spaces, but they'd be harder to see on white. I do really like the white on the health bar though.

sphere
May 17, 2011

Hot Dog Day #42 posted:

I played through the tutorial and the first mission, and I really enjoyed it. However, I found that the tooltips (especially the character summaries) got to be a little annoying, since they pop up so close to the radial menus. It would be nice if there were an option to disable the tooltips and a separate "status bar" area for the character summaries.

E: Also, some of the tutorial messages got clipped off mid-sentence for some reason.

E2: Also, when I went from guest mode to creating my own account, it kept the characters I'd created, but reset my progress on the campaign map. Bug?

Looks likes it. Thanks for finding those; I'll go fix them.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

korusan posted:

Does the purple of the item/character parts of the HUD clash with the health bar being white?

There's going to be things in those spaces, but they'd be harder to see on white. I do really like the white on the health bar though.

Is your tank supposed to look like a duck because that's all I can see.

Also healthbars to me are red. Always red.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

korusan posted:

The HUDs clash with the rest of the aesthetic style. You have these geometric things at the top but almost everything else in that screenshot is very organic. The sprites are specifically drawn and pixel-style colored; the HUD is a photoshoppy gradient. Your individual sprites are detailed, but those HUD elements look crazy placeholder and you might want to consider something else entirely. It can be tough to make an acceptable one that jives with the rest of the game, but necessary.

For example, for my level up interface, I went from this

to this

to, finally, this

and that took a fair amount of consideration and redesigning on its own. To integrate the final version properly took an hour or two on top of that.

•••

I'd Screenshot Sunday you guys but all my work has been drawing sprites lately and I haven't arranged them digitally yet. Hell, I haven't even inked or colored them, so they still all look like this:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Cleaned up town UI.

e: Oh god, make it stop...

Unormal fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 10, 2014

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

to, finally, this

and that took a fair amount of consideration and redesigning on its own. To integrate the final version properly took an hour or two on top of that.

You have a 3000x3000 image that exists solely for a UI transition.

You need to post more about your game.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Manslaughter posted:

It's basically the pyramids at Giza, but a little better.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

poemdexter posted:

Is your tank supposed to look like a duck because that's all I can see.

Also healthbars to me are red. Always red.

yeah the game is called Fowl Play and you play as a duck in a tank out to recover a stolen shipment of cigarettes

also thanks White Dragon!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Manslaughter posted:

You have a 3000x3000 image that exists solely for a UI transition.

Well the thing it's not really a UI transition so much as it is a temporary overlay; in action, it looks like it's flipping to the next page in a book. It just freezes it on the bottom-right frame until you cancel out of the menu, at which point it reverses the frame order back to the transparent top-left corner. It's more or less a very big spritesheet!

And also the reason that my game requires at least a late-gen 256MB GPU since those can support textures over 2048px.

Basically yeah Pyramids at Giza. Game design as seen through the eyes of a linguist who failed all his CS electives :v:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Okay, I'm having a problem with Unity2D. Specifically, all of the terrain and everything in Metal Savior is made of tiles, and on certain resolutions on certain computers... there are glitches. Spaces between tiles appearing where there aren't any and extra lines appearing at tile edges where no line should possibly be. I found only one person on Unity answers having the same problem and there were no answers given.

What the hell is going on and what the hell can I do about it? I'm at a complete loss, doubly so since I can't replicate both issues (only the latter one) on my computer. Oh, and on my computer (and apparently only my computer) the problem fixes itself if the camera moves around on the y-axis. It's worth noting that all of our sprites have point filtering (the other options look like crap and make the problem worse) and anti-aliasing is disabled (it was causing a much more severe version of the same problem).

I swear to god that Unity is black magick rather than programming sometimes.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 10, 2014

km2
Jul 27, 2012

retro sexual posted:

I broke the game. :(

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Corbeau posted:

Okay, I'm having a problem with Unity2D. Specifically, all of the terrain and everything in Metal Savior is made of tiles, and on certain resolutions on certain computers... there are glitches. Spaces between tiles appearing where there aren't any and extra lines appearing at tile edges where no line should possibly be. I found only one person on Unity answers having the same problem and there were no answers given.

What the hell is going on and what the hell can I do about it? I'm at a complete loss, doubly so since I can't replicate both issues (only the latter one) on my computer. Oh, and on my computer (and apparently only my computer) the problem fixes itself if the camera moves around on the y-axis. It's worth noting that all of our sprites have point filtering (the other options look like crap and make the problem worse) and anti-aliasing is disabled (it was causing a much more severe version of the same problem).

I would guess some kind of scaling issue related to the camera size vs pixels per unit for the sprites at various resolutions but I'm not really sure.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Corbeau posted:

I've not used any of Unity's 2d stuff so I may be way off but I could see that happening if the vertex positions of neighboring tiles was calculated independently so floating point shenanigans could screw up the positioning by a tiny amount that adds up to occasional holes or flickering on the borders. Making sure your tile size is an integer and then doing the positioning with ints and only converting the values to floats as you send them to the renderer fixed this issue when I had something similar. This is made easier if your camera's orthographic rect is the same size as your display's rect. That way 1 unit == 1 pixel.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
Some time ago, a little over a year, I wrote a game design document as a final project for my degree, and last summer, I started working on a prototype for it in GameMaker.

The game is supposed to be a 2D side-scrolling puzzle platformer. The main mechanic of it is that it takes place in a dark environment, and the player directly controls a mobile light source, a fairy. Another character, a kid with a severe fear of the dark, tries to keep up with the fairy and within the light. In the prototype, I have already implemented the following-the-mouse mechanic and the lighting and am so far satisfied. Here are a couple screenshots I've taken of it one with the darkness and one without.

The lanterns on the top are only there to test placing other light sources, and permanent light sources aren't intended to be in the game since anything other than the fairy are supposed to distract the kid and pretty much lock him down so the player may more freely explore. And sorry if my sprite artwork isn't that good since I'm not that good of an artist. I didn't even animate them.

I'm mainly wondering if any one has comments, advice, or suggestions for making my game. As mentioned, what I've made so far has been in GameMaker for Mac, which is pretty much 7.1.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Spek posted:

I've not used any of Unity's 2d stuff so I may be way off but I could see that happening if the vertex positions of neighboring tiles was calculated independently so floating point shenanigans could screw up the positioning by a tiny amount that adds up to occasional holes or flickering on the borders. Making sure your tile size is an integer and then doing the positioning with ints and only converting the values to floats as you send them to the renderer fixed this issue when I had something similar. This is made easier if your camera's orthographic rect is the same size as your display's rect. That way 1 unit == 1 pixel.

That's almost certainly precisely correct.

I don't have control over it though, because Unity has rendering that I don't even remotely understand and that's under the hood. Everything is positioned by whole numbers, I've been careful about that, but all positions in unity are stored as floats - and that's not changeable as far as I know.

I am deeply regretting adopting Unity2D right now. Like, actually at wit's end. Wondering if this project is just outright over now. Which is kind of a problem, because it really can't be over. So it may be time for desperate and ridiculous solutions, like getting our artist to make overlapping tiles instead of the proper ones that ought to work. Going to hack that together myself first to test it though.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 10, 2014

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005

km2 posted:

I broke the game. :(

Neither of you can break through the other's armour and the fight goes on forever! (I'll fix this by making the dungeoneer run away if it goes on for more than say 5 rounds)

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
So Joystiq did an article on Trestle and the comments are amazing. Y'all didn't know this but I'm actually getting paid by both King and Zynga to make this gameclone.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Saw that and thought oh neat I've seen that on here. And then scrolled down to confirm, yep everybody is an idiot (I guess the one guy who said MMBN had a good system didn't trash you :smith: but literally every other comment). You give nods to the stuff you like and obviously it can't be original at all. I wish someone would "lazily clone/ripoff/take no artistic license" me freespace or any other number of games shitcanned by their IP owners.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

the chaos engine posted:

So Joystiq did an article on Trestle and the comments are amazing. Y'all didn't know this but I'm actually getting paid by both King and Zynga to make this gameclone.

Congrats on your billions.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

People are dumb, your game looks kickin' rad and I want to play it.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Corbeau posted:

That's almost certainly precisely correct.

I don't have control over it though, because Unity has rendering that I don't even remotely understand and that's under the hood. Everything is positioned by whole numbers, I've been careful about that, but all positions in unity are stored as floats - and that's not changeable as far as I know.

I am deeply regretting adopting Unity2D right now. Like, actually at wit's end. Wondering if this project is just outright over now. Which is kind of a problem, because it really can't be over. So it may be time for desperate and ridiculous solutions, like getting our artist to make overlapping tiles instead of the proper ones that ought to work. Going to hack that together myself first to test it though.

Are you using individual images for tiles or are you using a tileset? I haven't played around with Unity, but the same thing happens in GameMaker. I made a tool a while back that can help resolve the problem by buffering individual tiles within a tileset. It basically just extends the size of the tiles in each direction. That way when D3D or whatever rips out the individual tiles, there's a buffer around the sides so that it gets filled in with that color as opposed to giving you those nasty seams. Hopefully this can help resolve your problem.

http://www.skeeman.com/tilesetchampion/TilesetChampion.zip

More information can be found here: http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=546371

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

retro sexual posted:

Neither of you can break through the other's armour and the fight goes on forever! (I'll fix this by making the dungeoneer run away if it goes on for more than say 5 rounds)

Can he use any seek cards there? Looks like every direction is a dead end.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Added an MtG style stack to the UI so you can see exactly what's going on. I'm very happy with how it came out, it helps the game's readability a ton. I uploaded this build, you can get it here:

Desktop: http://aarondgordon.com/amt/rpg.jar
Android: http://aarondgordon.com/amt/rpg.apk

TrampolineTales
Oct 9, 2012

I detect the presence of scum.
Anyone doing anything for the Flappy Jam? The prompt seems interesting, but it doesn't really generate any ideas for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TrampolineTales posted:

Anyone doing anything for the Flappy Jam? The prompt seems interesting, but it doesn't really generate any ideas for me.

Make a ripoff of Tiny Wings. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I might do something for it. I have an idea and do need some practice on doing randomly generated stuff.