Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lum posted:

"New Starter"

If it's the 3 month probationary period then they might get away with this, unfortunately. Just by saying something like "wasn't a good fit with the team" or similar.

He was at four months. Our contract actually says nine months probation :lol: but i've been told by a lawyer that legally that doesn't count for poo poo as after three months you're protected, contract or no. I'm not sure on this as a few work buddies have said otherwise, but I have no idea :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd trust the lawyer over the people who spoke to their mate and he said x crowd

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/work_rights_at_work_e/contracts_of_employment.htm

quote:

Probationary periods

It is common for employers to treat new employees as being in a ‘probationary’ period when they first start work. The employer may then argue that you can be dismissed while you are in this probationary period with no warning (notice). Employers also often argue that employees do not have usual employment rights to, for example, pay or holidays, during this ‘probationary’ period.

There is no such thing in law as a ‘probationary’ period. Once you have started work, the number of weeks you have worked begin on the day you start, not from some time when a ‘probationary’ period is over. Your full contractual rights also start from the first day of work, unless your contract says otherwise.

Your contract could, however, contain terms which only apply during your probationary period and which are less favourable than those which apply when your probationary period has ended. These terms must not take away your statutory rights.

http://www.freelanceadvisor.co.uk/getting-a-job/probationary-periods-the-myths/

quote:

Even though you may have shorter notice periods whilst on probation, you still need to follow the basic three step process when dismissing an employee. You need to put in writing the nature of conduct that gives rise to potential dismissal, call a meeting with the employee to discuss this conduct, and then confirm the decision in writing, giving the employee a chance to appeal. These regulations apply to all employees, regardless of length of service, or if they are still within their probationary period.

Failure to follow these regulations does not automatically give rise to an unfair dismissal claim as unfair dismissal claims can only be brought after two years of service. However, if you did fail to follow these regulations and a discrimination claim was brought against you, the Employment tribunal can increase the compensation by 10% and they also have the discretion to increase the award by up to 50% where the correct procedure has not been followed. Therefore, dismissing an employee who is still within their probationary period without following statutory processes can end up being very costly.

There ain't no such thing as a probationary period.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
gently caress yes. You've just made my day a hell of a lot better.

For pisses me off purposes: gently caress the guy who changed a setting for one of our biggest clients in their database before going home. Everything was hosed and we don't know who did it because 80% of the staff leave at the regular time. Someone is going to get a few choice words from my manager today, you're meant to tell us you're changing poo poo and then check that everything is ok before going home, at least so we know what the hell you changed.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

That sounds like mine. The one smoker he can't stop is the Sysadmin, who he won't fire because the Sysadmin is the only one who knows the system and he told him to shove the new contract up his arse when he read that smoking was no longer around. He's also currently working from home.

He is the living embodiment of backbone gets you further.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 10, 2014

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

dogstile posted:

This means that my boss is in for a trainwreck, i'll keep you guys updated. As an end note, when I say boss, I mean the CEO fired him. I refer to my manager as my manager rather than boss.

I worked for a company in Oregon where the CEO was equally insane about smokers. He tolerated one smoker on staff, and ruthlessly pursued other potential smokers.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

AlternateAccount posted:

Huh, I had always heard that the double whammy of write penalty + no TRIM support meant that SSDs in a RAID were a no-no. Has this changed or was I terribly misinformed?

If these were non EFD, I'd take it into account however these aren't your run of the mill SSD's.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've always been a big fan of Dell's Gold Support. It's always set them apart from the other vendors. I'll gladly buy their equipment if it means I get their gold support and next day parts service, but you can tell a difference in them lately. We're on our 4th sales rep in the last 8 months or so and the last 2 times I've had to contact them there has been a wait/hold time to talk to someone. I've never experienced anything like this from Dell in the last 7 years of being in IT. Right now I'm number 35 in the Gold chat support queue.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

skipdogg posted:

I've always been a big fan of Dell's Gold Support. It's always set them apart from the other vendors. I'll gladly buy their equipment if it means I get their gold support and next day parts service, but you can tell a difference in them lately. We're on our 4th sales rep in the last 8 months or so and the last 2 times I've had to contact them there has been a wait/hold time to talk to someone. I've never experienced anything like this from Dell in the last 7 years of being in IT. Right now I'm number 35 in the Gold chat support queue.

Dell's parts dept has hosed up every order we've placed for at least a month now, it's getting seriously infuriating.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Inspector_666 posted:

Dell's parts dept has hosed up every order we've placed for at least a month now, it's getting seriously infuriating.

drat. We've just had problems ordering poo poo. I'm not going to pretend we're some giant dick swinging company or anything, but we do on average 500 to 750K a year with Dell Hardware. That's not counting the software we have from Quest which probably kicks us up to a million a year.

Supply Chain seems hosed too. The VP wanted a new 7240 ultrabook and them having an 8 week lead time on them.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

According to those you can't bring an unfair dismissal claim until you've had two* years service, only a discrimination claim.

Smoking isn't a protected characteristic.

*It used to be one year, loving Tories.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

If these were non EFD, I'd take it into account however these aren't your run of the mill SSD's.

Because technically even in a "fully degraded" state, an EFD SSD only has a marginal increase in write speed, right?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Dear people.

If you wish to communicate with support, please loving type coherently. That is all. Seriously. This is not "English as a second language" bad, this is "I'm loving lazy and entitled and can't be arsed to fully type what I want" bad.

Yeah.

gently caress.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm so sick of getting the guy who keep signing up for poo poo thinking his email address is 'bobmorales@gmail.com', when I have 'bob.morales@gmail.com' (not my real name).

He's from Mexico so there's all kinds of cool poo poo like Western Union transfers and even concert tickets that are sent to my inbox. If I lived closer to Texas I would have went to go see Michael Buble, on him.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator
I just get Wonga and invitations to teacher interviews.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

poo poo that's pissing me off: Got summoned for jury duty in federal district court. Can I get out of this if I'm our only IT guy, on call 24/7, and considered essential personnel?

I got summoned for county court jury duty just six months ago as well, but didn't really bother trying to get out of that because almost none of those cases go to trial (and sure enough, mine never did).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Lum posted:

According to those you can't bring an unfair dismissal claim until you've had two* years service, only a discrimination claim.

Smoking isn't a protected characteristic.

*It used to be one year, loving Tories.

That can't be right, surely?

No protection for less than 2 years? What are we, America?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Bob Morales posted:

I'm so sick of getting the guy who keep signing up for poo poo thinking his email address is 'bobmorales@gmail.com', when I have 'bob.morales@gmail.com' (not my real name).

He's from Mexico so there's all kinds of cool poo poo like Western Union transfers and even concert tickets that are sent to my inbox. If I lived closer to Texas I would have went to go see Michael Buble, on him.

This guy put in his email address wrong into Google+, now I get to see his face every time I email my wife.

I also had a guy on Xbox live put my email address as his email contact so I started getting all sorts of email about his Xbox live activities. I messaged him and asked him to change it a few times. When that didn't work, since I had access to the email address (my address) registered to his account I reset his Xbox live password, got into his account and removed my email from it.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

spog posted:

That can't be right, surely?

No protection for less than 2 years? What are we, America?

If you were America you'd never get protection.

Pissing me off: My boss just foisted his on-call shift onto me. Yay. Guess I get to sit by my phone for the rest of the week, and weekend.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

wa27 posted:

poo poo that's pissing me off: Got summoned for jury duty in federal district court. Can I get out of this if I'm our only IT guy, on call 24/7, and considered essential personnel?

I got summoned for county court jury duty just six months ago as well, but didn't really bother trying to get out of that because almost none of those cases go to trial (and sure enough, mine never did).

Short answer: no.

Here's the relevant portion from the US Courts website:

quote:

There are three groups that are exempt from federal jury service:

members of the armed forces on active duty;
members of professional fire and police departments; and
"public officers" of federal, state or local governments, who are actively engaged full-time in the performance of public duties.
Persons belonging to these groups may not serve on federal juries, even if they so desire.

Excuses from Jury Service

Each of the 94 federal district courts maintains its own jury procedures and policies regarding excuses from jury service. Many courts offer excuses from service, on individual request, to designated groups of persons or occupational classes. Such groups may include persons over age 70; persons who have, within the past two years, served on a federal jury; and persons who serve as volunteer fire fighters or members of a rescue squad or ambulance crew.

The Jury Act also allows courts to excuse a juror from service at the time he or she is summoned on the grounds of "undue hardship or extreme inconvenience." The juror should write a letter to the clerk of court requesting an excuse with an explanation of hardship.

Excuses for jurors are granted at the discretion of the court and cannot be reviewed or appealed to Congress or any other entity.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

And the people higher up than him are OK with this?

He doesn't report to anyone so, yes.

Things pissing me off today: It looks like a bunch of our students have found the Twitter-like Newsfeed, blogging tools, etc that Sharepoint offers as part of our Office 365 license and have been running full-hog with it. I don't even want to think about legal complications if any of it somehow was seen outside of our organization (why in the world is it all set to public by default anyway?). So, now I get to figure out how to shut all that off. I was just going to revoke the SharePoint license for any non-faculty/staff but O365 won't let me, saying it's required by vital processes. I found all the bits to make everything private so I've covered our bases there but now I need to remove any and all content that the students have made and prevent them from being able to basically use anything regarding SharePoint again.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Frontier Communications....

I had a simple request.. Ordered 6 phone lines + DSL for a branch location on a promotional rate at $184 per month. I sign and fax over a paper showing these details and also accepting the order. Receive confirmation and the numbers we have been assigned.

Lines are installed. Unfortunately I was not physically at the location due to the distance, however I was assured all was well. Due to various delays it would be a few weeks before our phone system was installed and hooked up to said lines.

Received the bill today; discovered only 4 lines where actually installed, and we where charged almost triple the rate I signed up for. Frontier has no record of the 2 missing lines. I give this information to the account rep whom originally setup the order. Even he can't figure it out. We open that location in about 5 weeks. I honestly wonder if they will manage to get it fixed in time.

Every single interaction I have had with this company has been a Kafkaesque nightmare.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

stevewm posted:

Frontier Communications....

I had a simple request.. Ordered 6 phone lines + DSL for a branch location on a promotional rate at $184 per month. I sign and fax over a paper showing these details and also accepting the order. Receive confirmation and the numbers we have been assigned.

Lines are installed. Unfortunately I was not physically at the location due to the distance, however I was assured all was well. Due to various delays it would be a few weeks before our phone system was installed and hooked up to said lines.

Received the bill today; discovered only 4 lines where actually installed, and we where charged almost triple the rate I signed up for. Frontier has no record of the 2 missing lines. I give this information to the account rep whom originally setup the order. Even he can't figure it out. We open that location in about 5 weeks. I honestly wonder if they will manage to get it fixed in time.

Every single interaction I have had with this company has been a Kafkaesque nightmare.

Still better than Comcast.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Still better than Comcast.

Or AT&T, not only would your account rep stop returning your calls but they'd be billing you for the missing lines.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

wa27 posted:

Generally no, and don't try to be cute and say you're prejudiced or "they wouldn't have been arrested if they weren't guilty right? :haw:" or something. They've heard it before and they aren't amused (I have not tried this, just passing along advice that was given to me).

The upside is that you can't (legally) be fired for attending jury duty.

Personally I don't mind serving. It's one of the burdens of U.S. citizenship that I'm really on board with, and while the trial itself can be boring from moment to moment, the experience as a whole is interesting.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 11, 2014

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

Generally no, and don't try to be cute and say you're prejudiced or "they wouldn't have been arrested if they weren't guilty right? :haw:" or something. They've heard it before and they aren't amused (I have not tried this, just passing along advice that was given to me)..

My last tour on jury duty this worked for one person. She was an older lady and she just flat out said that she was raised to live your life to avoid even the appearance of any problems, and that fact that the buy was arrested means he must have done something.

One interesting thing from my time there was I think I got let off because I was an engineer. With CSI and other programs such a big deal, all prosecutors have a set speech of how there may not be DNA evidence, or video, or a confession, or any thing else that lets them solve a murder in an hours time, counting commercial. They grilled a lot of us, and especially me because of job title, on whether or not we would be able to make a decision based on victim testimony only. If you really need to get out, this may be the way to go.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Odds are you won't get called. I was summoned a couple years back for federal jury duty and when I showed up the guards were confused because the courts were on vacation. They immediately tried to get hold of the clerk of courts but couldn't reach him, so they called one of the judges at home to find out what the deal was. Turns out the clerk forgot to update the phone system to let us know that we were excused from service because he was in such a hurry to go on vacation. Fortunately I was unemployed at the time, but it still annoyed the hell out of me.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Or you can just do your civic duty. Nobody likes paying taxes either, but only the most extreme libertarians or anarchists deny their utility. Juries are a tax on your time, and preferable to the tribunal system that would otherwise needs replace it.

Pissing me off? How "jury of one's peers" has been corrupted to preclude those with any knowledge of the situation. The original intent was the exact opposite.

Edit: but it's still okay to be pissed off at the summons.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 11, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ynglaur posted:

Pissing me off? How "jury of one's peers" has been corrupted to preclude those with any knowledge of the situation. The original intent was the exact opposite.

People with real knowledge of the situation are witnesses. Considering that the majority of "news" these days comes from biased sources at best, and political party mouthpieces at worst, people with that kind of knowledge should not be part of the decision in my opinion.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
This is going way off topic, but to me the problem is that society/technology/circumstances have become way more complex since the introduction of the jury system.

Back in 'the day' it was reasonable have an expert witness explain to an 'uneducated' jury how some piece of advanced technology - say, a revolver - worked, as things were fairly simple still. These days things are skewed heavily towards relying on expert witnesses because an 'uneducated' jury doesn't have a hope in hell of understanding what's going on.

Imagine that your murder case hinges on a piece of forensic computational evidence. Now imagine explaining that to the users you support at your job. If you're not scared by the fact that they're the ones deciding whether that evidence counts for anything or not, then you ought to be.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Good counter-points above.

Returning to our topic: people who wear heavy fragrance on a plane. We haven't even taken off yet and I'm already nauseous from it. Holy gently caress just shower or something instead if you reek that badly. Better yet: take a loving car.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ynglaur posted:

Returning to our topic: people who wear heavy fragrance

poo poo, this can be as bad as someone who reeks. You go too far one way or the other and it's never good. Also, people should never use spray on poo poo like Lynx (Axe in the US) because all it does is coat the back of your throat with this horrible choking poo poo that makes me think of school locker rooms.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

At least school locker rooms don't give you dry heaves. I can't land in IAD soon enough.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

This guy put in his email address wrong into Google+, now I get to see his face every time I email my wife.

I also had a guy on Xbox live put my email address as his email contact so I started getting all sorts of email about his Xbox live activities. I messaged him and asked him to change it a few times. When that didn't work, since I had access to the email address (my address) registered to his account I reset his Xbox live password, got into his account and removed my email from it.

I've got a very uncommon last name. So uncommon, that only my family comes up when you google it. My email is [first-name].[last-name]@gmail.com. I'm male.

Still somebody managed to use in a kindergarten in Mexico to register her kids. To top it off, my first name in any of possible misspellings can't be turned into a female name.

:tinfoil:

(possible explanation - I've got kids I don't know about, living somewhere in Guadalajara and this is a subtle way of finding out)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

eithedog posted:

I've got a very uncommon last name. So uncommon, that only my family comes up when you google it. My email is [first-name].[last-name]@gmail.com. I'm male.

Still somebody managed to use in a kindergarten in Mexico to register her kids. To top it off, my first name in any of possible misspellings can't be turned into a female name.

:tinfoil:

(possible explanation - I've got kids I don't know about, living somewhere in Guadalajara and this is a subtle way of finding out)

I once got a series of calls from a school about a disciplinary hearing for somebody's kid. I had to tell them 3 times they had the wrong number before they stopped calling.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Update: A total of 10 people have been laid off for smoking outside of work/on their lunch break. Some had been working here for years. What the gently caress, why hasn't this guy been taken to the cleaners sooner?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

dogstile posted:

Update: A total of 10 people have been laid off for smoking outside of work/on their lunch break. Some had been working here for years. What the gently caress, why hasn't this guy been taken to the cleaners sooner?

Uh.... those people had no backbone. poo poo, they should all join forces or something.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

dogstile posted:

Yeah, so it definitely doesn't sound like the standard 3-step process is being followed here and if they've been working there for years then they're definitely protected. Suggest that they lawyer up and get the employment tribunals rolling - that's gotta be unfair dismissal.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

dogstile posted:

More importantly, why are you still there?

Not suggesting that you're a smoker, though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Westie posted:

More importantly, why are you still there?

Not suggesting that you're a smoker, though.

Its cool, i'm already looking for opportunities to leave. I don't smoke, but this doesn't set a good precedent for any future things my boss might get pissed off with. What if he decides drinking during the week is not on after all, i'd be hosed (also, suing). Also, desk time is rigid as hell, if they see me with my phone on the desk they tell me to put it away and if i'm a minute or two late signing onto the phones then they actually dock it off my annual leave, meaning that yes, I had 7 hours 58 minutes worth of leave I could take and they expected me to come in for the two minutes. I wasn't allowed a full day off. This poo poo is depressing. I like the people here, but the boss and the rooms manager are just stressful as hell.

I can't just up and leave without another job i'm afraid. I can coast along until I find another job, but i'm going to start taking calls from recruiters again. Before it was just emails but that wasn't actively looking. Since this was my first real job I wanted to wait it out until six months before looking but i'm just about to hit the five month mark and i'm almost burnt out of something I was passionate about before.

Wow, that turned into a rantpost.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

The first guy he caught smoking admittedly was doing it during work hours and told my boss that if he wants to restrict smoke breaks he's just going to leave. My boss is just dumb and has assumed every smoker is going to be like that.

Note: I'm not including that guy in the "fired for smoking" list.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

dogstile posted:

Its cool, i'm already looking for opportunities to leave. I don't smoke, but this doesn't set a good precedent for any future things my boss might get pissed off with. What if he decides drinking during the week is not on after all, i'd be hosed (also, suing).

I can't just up and leave without another job i'm afraid. I can coast along until I find another job, but i'm going to start taking calls from recruiters again. Before it was just emails but that wasn't actively looking.

It's a bizarre phobia he has too. As if the guy who set it off was problematic because he smoked.