Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Perry Normal posted:

I saw at Chapters yesterday that Lex Luger has an autobiography out. Has anyone read it? Is it any good?

It's ... decent. It's pretty self-serving, especially when he starts talking about his religious awakening and all that (which comprises a huge chunk of the book, the final third or so is about finding Jesus). It's not terrible, but there isn't much in the way of stuff we don't already know -- he abused drugs and drink, liked to sleep around and ran into trouble with the law. Certainly not much in the way of interesting stories or anything like that. I wouldn't pay more than five bucks for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Speaking of Ryder, could someone quick recap his career for me? All I know is he started in fake ECW, ended up being pushed off a stage in a wheelchair by Kane, and somewhere in the middle he had an Internet show. Apparently he was really popular at some point? That just blows my mind, because I've seen him on TV maybe twice since I started watching in July.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
That's because he was getting reactions on his own instead of the company creating it. As such, he was buried and made to look like a dork repeatedly so he lost his entire following.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Wojtek posted:

That's because he was getting reactions on his own instead of the company creating it. As such, he was buried and made to look like a dork repeatedly so he lost his entire following.

Basically, if you didn't watch TLC 2011 live, you didn't get to enjoy Ryder's only moment in the sun.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

triplexpac posted:

How did Ryder become a babyface anyway? Obnoxious Jersey Shore dude is a ready-made heel gimmick, even TNA knows that.

Funny heel -> face, like Jericho or Edge & Christian.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Speaking of Ryder, could someone quick recap his career for me? All I know is he started in fake ECW, ended up being pushed off a stage in a wheelchair by Kane, and somewhere in the middle he had an Internet show. Apparently he was really popular at some point? That just blows my mind, because I've seen him on TV maybe twice since I started watching in July.
He was a random jobber who started a goofy internet show on his own, the goofy internet show got popular and he started getting chants, so they had John Cena gently caress his girlfriend and then had Kane murder him.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Ryder was being built as a heel threat during the final days of ECW on SyFy. Seems so weird now but he kayfabe retired Tommy Dreamer.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

My favorite part of the Ryder/Cena/Kane/Eve story was when they implied through the use of multiple scenes that it took Ryder 25 minutes to take two lug nuts off his car while Eve screamed at him constantly from the backseat. It was a different more subtle sort of mockery.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

jscolon2.0 posted:

Funny heel -> face, like Jericho or Edge & Christian.

This reminds me: What the hell were they trying to do with Edge the year after he came back from injury and won the Rumble? He went back and forth between heel and face about a hundred times before his retirement.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

sticklefifer posted:

This reminds me: What the hell were they trying to do with Edge the year after he came back from injury and won the Rumble? He went back and forth between heel and face about a hundred times before his retirement.

He was meant to be a heel, but a mixture of surprise return and him being so drat entertaining meant the crowd turned him face by proxy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VogeGandire posted:

He was meant to be a heel, but a mixture of surprise return and him being so drat entertaining meant the crowd turned him face by proxy.

He wasn't meant to be a heel when he returned, he was being programmed in with a heel Jericho to play off Edge's injury breaking up their team. They tried their damnedest to make him the typical WWE babyface, down to the "spear" catch phrase/chant/whatever.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

My favorite part of the Ryder/Cena/Kane/Eve story was when they implied through the use of multiple scenes that it took Ryder 25 minutes to take two lug nuts off his car while Eve screamed at him constantly from the backseat. It was a different more subtle sort of mockery.

Don't forget she kicks him in the nuts at WrestleMania. After he got pinned by Miz.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

If we're gonna have a thread on Triple H burying people we should also have a thread on John Cena cozying up to the smark darling of the moment to siphon their babyface aura, see Zack Ryder.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

epitasis posted:

If we're gonna have a thread on Triple H burying people we should also have a thread on John Cena cozying up to the smark darling of the moment to siphon their babyface aura, see Zack Ryder.

Zack Ryder
Cryme Tyme
Evan Bourne

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

epitasis posted:

Let me constantly defend and speak for Daniel Bryan even when he's standing right next to me.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Zack Ryder
Cryme Tyme
Evan Bourne

Nikki Bella

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

There's also the separate but related issue that Cena is booked as a complete moron.

Shawn Michaels, employee of JBL: "This is strictly a business transaction, this has nothing to do with me thinking I've lost a step. If I thought I couldn't go anymore, I'd stop."

Cena, bystander: "NO SHAWN, YOU STILL GOT IT! CAN'T YOU SEE YOU'RE NOT TOO OLD???"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Didn't it come out that while Ryder was incredibly vocal online about wanting a push and having something to offer, he never once actually approached anybody backstage to make his case or push any particular angle?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

On the other hand, I can't blame the guy for not walking up to Triple H and going 'yeah so I think I should go over Kane...'

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Didn't it come out that while Ryder was incredibly vocal online about wanting a push and having something to offer, he never once actually approached anybody backstage to make his case or push any particular angle?

He was talking to Mick Foley and Foley asked him if he ever went to Vince McMahon with any of these complaints. Ryder shook his head and Foley told him that he had to go to Vince, tell him how much money he was making him, tell him how much money he could be making him and demand that he get a push based off of that. Ryder never bothered.

There seems to be a problem with a lot of the people coming up through the developmental system that they don't know how to treat a promoter.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Developmental center symposiums on backstage politicking

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gonzo McFee posted:

There seems to be a problem with a lot of the people coming up through the developmental system that they don't know how to treat a promoter.

I can't remember where I heard it (Austin's podcast maybe) or which wrestler was involved, but there was a pretty neat story about Vince signing a wrestler and giving him his personal number and telling him chummily,"You ever need ANYTHING, you call me!" One day the wrestler comes up with an idea he really wants to push and he can't wait to talk about it with Vince at the next show so he calls Vince's home. Vince answers, listens to what he has to say, then tells him in no uncertain terms,"Well thanks for sharing, but <wrestler>, don't EVER call me at home again :toughguy:"

So I guess you're always walking a tightrope with a guy like Vince, you have to know exactly when to push and when to do as you're told. When Scott Hall pushed the Razor Ramon character, he qualified it by telling Vince that while this is what HE wanted, he would happily go with Vince's original idea and give him the best execution of it he could ever hope for, he just wanted Vince to have all the options. If Ryder didn't at least make the effort though, then a portion of the blame lies squarely on his own shoulders.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

epitasis posted:

CM Punk during the MITB buildup brought about some classic Cena pandering. Punk was cutting his vicious promos, and Cena was going something like "I may not like what he says, but he's speaking his mind and that's what the WWE Universe is all about!!!" It was super-lame and not at all what makes you want to see one guy kick another guy's rear end on PPV.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

I can't remember where I heard it (Austin's podcast maybe) or which wrestler was involved, but there was a pretty neat story about Vince signing a wrestler and giving him his personal number and telling him chummily,"You ever need ANYTHING, you call me!" One day the wrestler comes up with an idea he really wants to push and he can't wait to talk about it with Vince at the next show so he calls Vince's home. Vince answers, listens to what he has to say, then tells him in no uncertain terms,"Well thanks for sharing, but <wrestler>, don't EVER call me at home again :toughguy:"

You're probably thinking of fake Razor Ramon and I'm pretty sure he was calling to find out if he was getting an extension or something.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The way I heard it was the worker was booked for a few shows, Vince gave him his home number and said if he ever needed him to call him. When he called asking if he was to be booked again, Vince said no and don't call me ever again.

E: yeah, Fake Razor Ramon.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

So I guess you're always walking a tightrope with a guy like Vince, you have to know exactly when to push and when to do as you're told. When Scott Hall pushed the Razor Ramon character, he qualified it by telling Vince that while this is what HE wanted, he would happily go with Vince's original idea and give him the best execution of it he could ever hope for, he just wanted Vince to have all the options. If Ryder didn't at least make the effort though, then a portion of the blame lies squarely on his own shoulders.

That sounds like the story told by Rick Bogner, the fake Razor Ramon. He wasn't being used anymore and thought his contract wasn't being renewed. When he was signed Vince gave him his number and told him that, so he called Vince and got that answer.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I always just assumed Vince lived in Titan Tower.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Timby posted:

It's ... decent. It's pretty self-serving, especially when he starts talking about his religious awakening and all that (which comprises a huge chunk of the book, the final third or so is about finding Jesus). It's not terrible, but there isn't much in the way of stuff we don't already know -- he abused drugs and drink, liked to sleep around and ran into trouble with the law. Certainly not much in the way of interesting stories or anything like that. I wouldn't pay more than five bucks for it.

So noted. I'll pick it up in a couple of years when the paperback version is going cheap. Thanks!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

epitasis posted:

John Cena is probably the only reason the company even gave Ryder any screen time at all. He was constantly plugging Ryder's web show on twitter and in interviews.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

oatgan posted:

John Cena is probably the only reason the company even gave Ryder any screen time at all. He was constantly plugging Ryder's web show.

It's funny that they ended up feeding Ryder to Cena. Like "Oh yeah Cena, you want to get your buddy some screen time? Well HERE YOU GO!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

triplexpac posted:

It's funny that they ended up feeding Ryder to Cena. Like "Oh yeah Cena, you want to get your buddy some screen time? Well HERE YOU GO!"

Then we got the horrible ambulance match between Kane and Cena. Holy poo poo that was bad even for an ambulance match.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

I know we like to say that Vince is a senile and capricious megalomaniac, but I think it's pretty clear that Bogner was pushing it a bit, and Ryder wasn't even trying.

Oh, well, it's not like anything of value was lost.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Umbra Dubium posted:

I know we like to say that Vince is a senile and capricious megalomaniac, but I think it's pretty clear that Bogner was pushing it a bit, and Ryder wasn't even trying.

Oh, well, it's not like anything of value was lost.
If a guy gives you his number and tells you to call him, and you call him, that's pushing it?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Mick Foley stated this on Chris Hardwick's Nerdist podcast, yes.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

What's generally regarded as Hogan's best matches in North America? Hogan/Warrior was rated ***3/4 and I know that's considered by many to be one of the two good Warrior matches along with Warrior/Savage. What if anything was Hogan in that was in that league or better? It's been literally 20+ years since I've seen either, but I was surprised to see that Hogan/Savage was rated quite a bit worse thean Hogan/Warrior.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

What's generally regarded as Hogan's best matches in North America? Hogan/Warrior was rated ***3/4 and I know that's considered by many to be one of the two good Warrior matches along with Warrior/Savage. What if anything was Hogan in that was in that league or better? It's been literally 20+ years since I've seen either, but I was surprised to see that Hogan/Savage was rated quite a bit worse thean Hogan/Warrior.

The early Flair/Hogan matches from WCW, probably. The Havoc Cage match is probably the best. Hogan/Goldberg is a booking masterpiece too.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Thauros posted:

Hulk had decent matches on Saturday Night's Main Event. These are off the top of my head, and might be affected by young me's memory. I hope the SNME library gets on The Network.

- Steel Cage Match: Hulk Hogan vs. Paul Orndorff (1986, I think)
- Hulk Hogan vs. Harley Race ('88?)

I've never seen his SNME matches with Boss Man or Perfect. They sound fun, but... it's Hogan, so who knows? I like the tag match Hogan and Sid had with Flair and Undertaker, where Sid turns on Hulkster. The match is pretty much just Hogan being trashed, and the ending (Flair/UT DQ'd for beating Hogan up too much?) is retarded, but Hogan beatings are a hoot.

If you take battle royales, the 1992 Royal Rumble is one of the best Rumbles ever. Star ratings-wise, it should be up there for Hogan.

Edit: I'm pretty sure Hogan had a good brawl with Terry Funk on a SNME as well.

Red fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 11, 2014

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I know I've heard Muhammad Ali using "Who'd he ever beat?" to promote a fight so my guess is it's even older than that.

The Punk/Joe shoot where they're laughing at their own outrage at Ricky Steamboat's ideas during their trilogy is the best use of it though.

"We're sitting here and Ricky Steamboat is telling me to sweep the leg and put my feet on the ropes! Ricky Steamboat! Who'd he ever beat?"

then...

"And then 20 minutes later I'm taping up and I think "...that's the most brilliant idea I've ever heard in my LIFE"

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

There was a fun variation on "Who'd he ever beat" during the Lesnar/HHH feud last year. Heyman and Lesnar trashed HHH's office during an episode of RAW. Heyman noticed a picture of Killer Kowalski on the wall and remarked "Who'd he ever train?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
EDIT: wrong thread, sorry