Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

bobkatt013 posted:

I still laugh at the concept of s Bugatti Veyron dressed as a mouse, while the song "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones played in the background

The worst thing about that last week is it's what everyone wanted Conan to be all along.

Dr. Atticus posted:

Just noticed this in the OP, is this a real rumour or just spitballing

Ferguson has always said that when Dave goes he is going to retire too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

wa27 posted:

Conan playing along to a full performance of Free Bird with Will Ferrell was a great last show as well. In fact Conan's whole final week on the Tonight Show was a thing of beauty and I wish I had all those episodes saved for eternity.
I used to have them all recorded off the air, but that hard drive hit the hoosegow. :(

I felt bad for Leno. He fell apart last night. Seeing him honestly saying that he never went anywhere else because he only knew his family at Tonight was sobering. Dude never wanted to let go out of greed for money. He was terrified of being alone. :smith:

As much as I like Garth Brooks, it was sad seeing him trying to get the audience to sing "Friends in Low Places" and failing.

Leno was tolerable this week and last, if he'd had this devil-may-care attitude all along he would've been almost good.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Conan replacing Dave was a random revelation that I had last night too. It could very well be set up for him...network timeslot, NYC studio, everything.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

pwn posted:

I felt bad for Leno. He fell apart last night. Seeing him honestly saying that he never went anywhere else because he only knew his family at Tonight was sobering. Dude never wanted to let go out of greed for money. He was terrified of being alone. :smith:

It's more he has no life outside his job and collecting cars.

I don't feel bad for him. He got to screw over two more talented and influential people plus all the people who work on their shows, make millions, and he'll be back on the air by year's end. Dude's made out pretty well all things considered.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

AsInHowe posted:

Conan replacing Dave was a random revelation that I had last night too. It could very well be set up for him...network timeslot, NYC studio, everything.

Would he have to go on an Abe Vigoda hunt?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

pwn posted:

I felt bad for Leno. He fell apart last night. Seeing him honestly saying that he never went anywhere else because he only knew his family at Tonight was sobering.

gently caress him. He could have gone somewhere else and taken his crew with him like Dave did. He went out with a whimper.

At least Dave had something nice to say about him and even said "Good night, Jay" and the end of his show.

Anyway, here's Patrick Stewart.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Dr. Atticus posted:

Just noticed this in the OP, is this a real rumour or just spitballing

Some quick links:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/05/business/media/letterman-extends-contract-with-cbs-through-2015.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/02/business/media/tbs-extends-conan-obriens-contract-into-2015.html

sbaldrick posted:

Ferguson has always said that when Dave goes he is going to retire too.
What, Craig? I can't loving lose Craig and Conan, they're all I have god loving dammit. Jesus tittyfucking christ.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Paradox Personified posted:

What, Craig? I can't loving lose Craig and Conan, they're all I have god loving dammit. Jesus tittyfucking christ.
As for Craig bolting when Dave hangs it up that was the last thing Craig has said on record to that topic. It doesn't mean if CBS were to drop a dump truck load of money at his feet he'd still walk away but there's really nothing saying that CBS would even entertain that idea in the first place. The cheapness of Craig's show adds more to it's charm anyways. I'm likely not alone in thinking Craig has no business in an earlier timeslot. Keep Craig and his little playhouse holed up in the rafters at CBS Television City in Hollywood and let him keep doing his own thing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Robnoxious posted:

As for Craig bolting when Dave hangs it up that was the last thing Craig has said on record to that topic. It doesn't mean if CBS were to drop a dump truck load of money at his feet he'd still walk away but there's really nothing saying that CBS would even entertain that idea in the first place. The cheapness of Craig's show adds more to it's charm anyways. I'm likely not alone in thinking Craig has no business in an earlier timeslot. Keep Craig and his little playhouse holed up in the rafters at CBS Television City in Hollywood and let him keep doing his own thing.

It's Dave when he did Late Night. For years he would do some seriously weird poo poo and the network left him alone.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress Garth Brooks, Fallon knows how to go out in style, and that's Muppets.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fallon's performance with the Muppets was so loving cute :3:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yoshifan823 posted:

gently caress Garth Brooks, Fallon knows how to go out in style, and that's Muppets.

Yeah, that ending with him and The Muppets singing and then him walking silently across the hall to the new studio where The Roots and Higgins were waiting for him was a hell of an ending.

He's gonna be so good on The Tonight Show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

His moment with Steve Higgins was kind of beautiful too. I think he almost cried after Steve said what he said. I know I would have :unsmith:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I know this is said a lot, but it bears repeating: if you told pretty much anyone ten years ago as Jimmy Fallon left SNL that in ten years, he'd be taking over The Tonight Show, they'd laugh you silly, but not only is he doing that, he's bringing it back to New York and is probably (hopefully) gonna end up doing the show better than anyone save Johnny loving Carson.

Jimmy Fallon, I know you can't hear me, but you are one awesome dude, and I genuinely hope you host the show for the next thirty years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Same here. I hope he hosts for a long time coming. I was probably more willing to give Fallon a chance than a lot of people, but even I didn't expect that not only one day would I think he'd overtake Conan as my favorite, but he'd do it in less than three years. I've said it before, he's acclimated to the job faster than anyone could have ever guessed. And he's probably just going to get better the more he does it.

And with Seth, I've heard him talk about how he can't wait to experiment on Late Night, because in his mind that's where you do the crazy stuff. And one thing he said really made me happy. He said he wanted to bring back fake guests. I remember when Conan would do fake guests and it was awesome. It didn't happen a lot, but I'd love to see it return. Can't wait to see what exactly Seth has lined up for the show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Conan was a pretty great Tonight Show host too, even though he didn't get the ratings that NBC was hoping for :shobon:

But yeah, hopefully Fallon will really shine as host of the Tonight Show. I don't always think he's the funniest but he's definitely funnier than Leno, and with the right writers and guests and with the improved budget the Tonight Show has over the Late Night show, he could really breathe new life into that show and bring in a whole new generation that hasn't given a poo poo about Jay Leno. I mean, that's why NBC gave him the job, so hopefully he delivers on it. I wasn't a regular viewer of his Late Night show though I did see it from time to time, but I'll absolutely watch his first few Tonight Shows, and if he seems like he's off to a good start then I'll definitely keep watching.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Conan, for whatever reason, has never gotten me like he has a lot of people. I love the classic Norm interview, but that's more Norm being Norm than anything. He doesn't do anything particularly interesting with the interviews, which is the reason to watch Craig, he doesn't have an awesome band like The Roots that allows Jimmy to do all of those awesome musical bits, and he doesn't really do much in the way of characters/impressions like Fallon either. He's also not super great during the monologues, so that pretty much leaves just the recorded bits/sketches, which definitely can be funny, but it just doesn't add up for me. He's a distant third, and might even be behind Kimmel in my mind as well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I still can't stand Fallon when he talks. Talking to guests, monologue, etc.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yoshifan823 posted:

Conan, for whatever reason, has never gotten me like he has a lot of people. I love the classic Norm interview, but that's more Norm being Norm than anything. He doesn't do anything particularly interesting with the interviews, which is the reason to watch Craig, he doesn't have an awesome band like The Roots that allows Jimmy to do all of those awesome musical bits, and he doesn't really do much in the way of characters/impressions like Fallon either. He's also not super great during the monologues, so that pretty much leaves just the recorded bits/sketches, which definitely can be funny, but it just doesn't add up for me. He's a distant third, and might even be behind Kimmel in my mind as well.
He used to have Max Weinberg, and the interplay between them was always loving hilarious. I really miss that with his new show :smith: He has the Basic Cable Band now, and for the most part, they don't do anything interesting. Conan still rips on La Bamba every once in a while but it's not as funny as it used to be when he was doing it on the Late Night show on NBC. Mark Pender doesn't bust out his own songs anymore. Mike (the bassist) is used in skits when Conan's talking about black people and Mike will be shown silently thinking that Conan doesn't know poo poo about black people. But that's basically it as far as band interaction. There's Basic Cable Name That Tune, which is one of my favorite skits on his current show, but the band just plays the tunes and doesn't say anything. Brian Stack is the real star of that bit.

I like his current show and watch it every night it's new, but I'll agree that it's missing some of the charm of his old show(s).

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I'm really excited for Jimmy taking over The Tonight Show, I never really kept up with Late Night but the episodes I've seen in the past year or so have been good. For the most part his whole vibe/interaction with guests and the crowd is really entertaining. I'm actually pretty excited for Seth too, I think his Late Night is going to be great.

Mainly though I'm not excited to try and keep up with 3 separate late night shows at the same time (long time Conan devotee), but I'll catch the first couple weeks at least.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Yoshifan823 posted:

His show lost a lot between the Tonight Show debacle and moving to TBS. It's a different kind of humor though, and wasn't a good fit for the Tonight Show, especially after two decades of Jay Leno. Late Night Conan was untouchable, and it's hard to overstate how influential the writing on that show was. Just the initial staff is like a dream team- Louis CK, Bob Odenkirk, Robert Smigel, Dino Stamotopolous, Tommy Blacha, Conan and Andy Richter.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Week one of Fallon guests

2/17: Will Smith, U2
2/18: Jerry Seinfeld, Kristen Wiig, Lady Gaga
2/19: Bradley Cooper, Tim McGraw
2/20: Michelle Obama, Will Ferrell, Arcade fire
2:21: Justin Timberlake

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Man, if this were 2009 I would be pumped!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

He used to have Max Weinberg, and the interplay between them was always loving hilarious. I really miss that with his new show :smith: He has the Basic Cable Band now, and for the most part, they don't do anything interesting. Conan still rips on La Bamba every once in a while but it's not as funny as it used to be when he was doing it on the Late Night show on NBC. Mark Pender doesn't bust out his own songs anymore. Mike (the bassist) is used in skits when Conan's talking about black people and Mike will be shown silently thinking that Conan doesn't know poo poo about black people. But that's basically it as far as band interaction. There's Basic Cable Name That Tune, which is one of my favorite skits on his current show, but the band just plays the tunes and doesn't say anything. Brian Stack is the real star of that bit.

I like his current show and watch it every night it's new, but I'll agree that it's missing some of the charm of his old show(s).

I miss the party pics that Conan, Max, and Joel had.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Irish Joe posted:

Man, if this were 2009 I would be pumped!

In 2009 you would have been pumped that Jimmy Fallon is hosting The Tonight Show?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

In 2009 you would have been pumped that Jimmy Fallon is hosting The Tonight Show?

Anyone but Jay.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I still like Conan more than Fallon but at this point I would take almost anyone over Jay Leno. Seriously I didn't even bother with even watching his second final episode but it sounds like it was just as bad as he's always been.

Fallon definitely improved though which is awesome. I still remember watching his first 2 years thinking he was terrible and was dragging the roots down, good for him. I'm kinda wary on Seth Myers though because I never thought he was funny at all but we'll see how it goes I guess. Late night is finally (almost?) all funny again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Seth Meyers is probably going to be a trainwreck.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Seth Meyers is probably going to be a trainwreck.

I think Seth Meyers will be okay - not great, not terrible, just somewhere in the middle.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Fallon definitely improved though which is awesome.

What does Fallon do? Like, I know he does the singing thing and impressions, but is he good with jokes and skits?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

From what I've seen, which isn't a whole lot admittedly, he didn't so much get better (though he's not as twitchy and nervous anymore obviously) as he learned what he was good at and adjusted accordingly.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

sbaldrick posted:

Conan's bitterness at the end was maybe the best Tonight Show in years.

Also Kimmel's shots at Jay Leno were great

http://www.videobash.com/video_show/jimmy-kimmel-on-jay-leno-s-10-at-10-618751

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I finally found a Conan clip I've been looking for since it aired in 2005, on Myspace of all places:
https://myspace.com/322808816/video/chocolate-lucky-charms/102241207

It's when Conan got sent a Chocolate Lucky Charms duffle bag. When the audience member flashed the gang sign I couldn't stop laughing. I thought I'd never see this again.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 10, 2014

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

wa27 posted:

I finally found a Conan clip I've been looking for since it aired in 2005, on Myspace of all places:
https://myspace.com/322808816/video/chocolate-lucky-charms/102241207

It's when Conan got sent a Chocolate Lucky Charms duffle bag. When the audience member flashed the gang sign I couldn't stop laughing. I thought I'd never see this again.

Boy I hope Conan never finds out about Count Chocula. :ohdear:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I still think that nothing will top old timey baseball.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

I still think that nothing will top old timey baseball.

Old Timey Baseball and picking apples with Mr T are probably tied as my top two favourites.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
By the way if you're looking for a routinely funny bit from Conan's current show I recommend checking out the Clueless Gamer series. Conan's sense of humor and total lack of pretension about video games make him a more fun watch than 99% of the people who cover them for a living.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

hcreight posted:

By the way if you're looking for a routinely funny bit from Conan's current show I recommend checking out the Clueless Gamer series. Conan's sense of humor and total lack of pretension about video games make him a more fun watch than 99% of the people who cover them for a living.

Or at least just watch the Tomb Raider episode.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The GTA one with his vendetta against the strip club is great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The bandleader for Seth Meyers has been announced. And it's Fred Armisen