Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zng4VfRZTNA
And one about Icewind Dale 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

The "core tools" vs "special interaction" bit was the highlight for me. Interesting how experience will teach you things.

Also I can't help but notice that RK keeps saying "Project Eternity" :)

Octo1
May 7, 2009

If there are people bothered by what an attribute is called and what it does in combat, you can maybe allow players to "tag" attributes to give them bonuses for combat or non-combat.

You can give players 1 combat tag and 1 non-combat tag at character creation. If the player uses the combat tag on Might, then they get an additional bonus to damage without gaining any Might for attribute checks, on the other hand if the player uses the non-combat tag on Intellect, then they get a bonus to Intellect attribute checks, but no AoE size or effect duration bonuses.

The bonuses from tags shouldn't be too big though or they could encourage dump stats.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I have a question about casters in the game. We know that there will be your basic elementalist and arcanist type casters, just from the videos we've seen. However, how able will we be to create thematically "evil" type casters who concentrate mainly on things like drains, slow burn damage over time spells, and debuffs?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Content: This would have been relevant 40 pages ago but no one else took the opportunity.

Edit: I've never paid for Beta access for a game until this one. How long is a game usually in Beta until it goes Gold?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 10, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Edit: I've never paid for Beta access for a game until this one. How long is a game usually in Beta until it goes Gold?

This won't be helpful to you, but under current definitions it could be anywhere from 3 months to over a year. It really depends on what devs are trying to figure out or accomplish, I suppose. I doubt the period'd be less than 6 months because it's a "kickstarter" game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Octo1 posted:

If there are people bothered by what an attribute is called and what it does in combat, you can maybe allow players to "tag" attributes to give them bonuses for combat or non-combat.

You can give players 1 combat tag and 1 non-combat tag at character creation. If the player uses the combat tag on Might, then they get an additional bonus to damage without gaining any Might for attribute checks, on the other hand if the player uses the non-combat tag on Intellect, then they get a bonus to Intellect attribute checks, but no AoE size or effect duration bonuses.

The bonuses from tags shouldn't be too big though or they could encourage dump stats.

This was basically how Champions Online did it, in principle anyway.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Content: This would have been relevant 40 pages ago but no one else took the opportunity.

I pictured the title more as

[large font with small caps for lowercase]gently caress You:[/large font]
[medium font with small caps for lowercase]Suck My Dick:[/medium font]
[smaller cursive font]The J.E. Sawyer Dream RPG Experié[/smaller font]

Overall fantastic, esp. the root vegetable.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GreatGreen posted:

I have a question about casters in the game. We know that there will be your basic elementalist and arcanist type casters, just from the videos we've seen. However, how able will we be to create thematically "evil" type casters who concentrate mainly on things like drains, slow burn damage over time spells, and debuffs?
There are a number of drain-oriented wizard spells named for their inventor, Concelhaut, ranging from levels 1-3, and several other necro-ish spells at higher levels.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

rope kid posted:

There are a number of drain-oriented wizard spells named for their inventor, Concelhaut, ranging from levels 1-3, and several other necro-ish spells at higher levels.

Yes, I loving love it when spells are named after these egotistical wizards that researched them. :getin:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

The teletubby is a great addition.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Isn't it a Pikmin? (or is that :thejoke:)

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

AngryBooch posted:

Yes, I loving love it when spells are named after these egotistical wizards that researched them. :getin:
Maker-named spells make up about 1/3 to 1/4 of the wizard spell list. Concelhaut and Minoletta are the most prolific.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

rope kid posted:

Hell yes. I always gravitate towards morally extreme characters like pure good paladin types or pure evil warlock/necromancer types, and the latter isn't supported nearly as well as you'd assume it would be in most games.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

GreatGreen posted:

Hell yes. I always gravitate towards morally extreme characters like pure good paladin types or pure evil warlock/necromancer types, and the latter isn't supported nearly as well as you'd assume it would be in most games.

Because apparently you can't be evil without being super obvious about it, like throwing the baby into the fire after saving it, just to be nasty to the parents. That sort of poo poo.

I can't wait to see how Obsidian handles that kind of finer details ("how to handle evilness"). I just finished Mass Effect 3 for the first time as Renegade, and some of the choices just made me cringe. A couple I couldn't decently pick because they were just too dumb.

If anyone can do evil correctly it's Obsidian. Maybe rope kid will make a video about that, like he did about antagonist vs enemy.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If its at least as nuanced as New Vegas' faction system that would be cool. Getting a gray area title like "Fallen Hero" after aiding the NCR for the majority of the game until I betrayed them at the very end was neat.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

drat Josh, you're too young to have white hairs in your beard.

Is there any thing that you can add to the knowledge base about TORN that isn't already in the wiki?

Are you authorized to add anything from TORN to PoE?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

rope kid posted:

Maker-named spells make up about 1/3 to 1/4 of the wizard spell list. Concelhaut and Minoletta are the most prolific.

Is there a spellmaker named Kickby who only make feet-themed spells?

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

AngryBooch posted:

Totally. Especially if you get little tidbits about the creator in the long version of the spell description, like how IE games had little backstories for identified magic items.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Furism posted:

Because apparently you can't be evil without being super obvious about it, like throwing the baby into the fire after saving it, just to be nasty to the parents. That sort of poo poo.

I can't wait to see how Obsidian handles that kind of finer details ("how to handle evilness"). I just finished Mass Effect 3 for the first time as Renegade, and some of the choices just made me cringe. A couple I couldn't decently pick because they were just too dumb.

If anyone can do evil correctly it's Obsidian. Maybe rope kid will make a video about that, like he did about antagonist vs enemy.

I get what you're saying, and I also think it's fun to sometimes mix it up and play the ultra zealous Paladin that kills innocents because they are not faithful enough or whatever, and sometimes it's cool to play a pacifist necromancer who views death as equilibrium and wants only to restore tranquility to the world by ridding it of the turbulent, chaotic force known as life.

But on the subject of video game morality, yeah, I usually hate taking the evil path in video games just because it means you act like either a petulant whining child who wants to kick puppies and laugh about it for no reason at all, or you do something that is a little bit "bad" only to actually be the hero all along who saves the day anyway or some poo poo.

Just once I think it would be cool if a video game allowed you to choose a path that was obviously selfish at the expense of others to further your own interests with no hidden gameplay punishments other than your own knowledge as a player that you hosed people over to get where you are.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 11, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

GreatGreen posted:

Just once I think it would be cool if a video game allowed you to choose a path that was obviously selfish at the expense of others to further your own interests with no hidden gameplay punishments other than your own knowledge as a player that you hosed people over to get where you are.
Planescape Torment did, you could be really selfishly cruel in the game to get ahead.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

rope kid posted:

This might be too specific, but anything in the Death Knell style that rewards the caster for getting the killing blow with a temporary buffs? Doesn't even have to be a spell I guess could be something a different class does.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

DatonKallandor posted:

This might be too specific, but anything in the Death Knell style that rewards the caster for getting the killing blow with a temporary buffs? Doesn't even have to be a spell I guess could be something a different class does.
Not quite the same, but druids have a high-level spell called Garden of Life that creates small fonts of healing around the bodies of downed enemies.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

rope kid posted:

Not quite the same, but druids have a high-level spell called Garden of Life that creates small fonts of healing around the bodies of downed enemies.

Welcome to flavor-town.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

rope kid posted:

Sweet. I always wanted to try a plant mage who recognized that carrion fertilizer was part of the circle of life. Only Dominions-style manikin minions would be cooler. PoE looks like it'll make room for plenty of cool character concepts.

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

I think half of the problem is that games are so loath to actually make evil tempting. [Kick the puppy] out of context is not really a choice that anyone makes in real life. Evil should genuinely serve the character's self interest, rather than just being psychopathy. Set up a situation where you have to save your party member or a room full of innocents and see what people choose. Make 'The Sword of Bloody Awesome' force the bad ending of the game when you get there.

For examples of this:

- I almost loved the path to Blood Magic in Dragon Age: Origins, except that once you did the horribly evil thing, you could reload the game and still get the awesome power.

- Look at how the Wasteland 2 demo forces you to choose between two paths and then listen to the people you hosed over plead for help over the radio.

(In the same vein, I always kinda wanted to play a D&D game where my wizard ascended to lichdom... maybe next time)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'd like it if an evil path was something like lawful evil. Say you're on a quest to take down this big crime ring, instead of brutally killing everyone involved you brutally kill the leader and menace his underlings into working for you. You now have a crime organization and you can expand it, specialize it or just let it create a passive income for you.

Basically it's about power, influence and enriching yourself. Not kickin puppies.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
A Song of Ice and Fire did evilness pretty well, in that sense. Even Joffrey, because even if he's chaotic 'kick the puppy' evil, there are a lot of other, more subtle, evil characters to balance it.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Foolie posted:

- I almost loved the path to Blood Magic in Dragon Age: Origins, except that once you did the horribly evil thing, you could reload the game and still get the awesome power.

It also sucked that no one in the game, including your party members, acknowledged the fact that you were using blood magic, which the game and the people in it constantly harp on about being the root of all evil and a blight to exterminate.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

AG3 posted:

It also sucked that no one in the game, including your party members, acknowledged the fact that you were using blood magic, which the game and the people in it constantly harp on about being the root of all evil and a blight to exterminate.
That was one of the worst written aspects of an already shaky game.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

AG3 posted:

To the best of my knowledge, this is the only time it's acknowledged in game that your party member can use blood magic.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Finally got around to linking my $110 digital download tier pledge to my eternity account. I decided to change my pledge to the $140 retail collector's edition. Enjoy my moneys. ;)

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Billy West for narrator

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Goodpancakes posted:

Billy West for narrator
He can also voice all of the characters.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

AG3 posted:

There was a reaction in Origins, but it was cut for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjpMYw_g_eI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YML3Jhw54g

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Goodpancakes posted:

Billy West for narrator

Get the guy who does Geoff on Craig Ferguson and have him narrate as Morgan Freeman.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"

Spacedad posted:

Finally got around to linking my $110 digital download tier pledge to my eternity account. I decided to change my pledge to the $140 retail collector's edition. Enjoy my moneys. ;)

THANK YOU!! I wasn't even aware that I was supposed to create an Obsidian account and link that to my pledge. Done and done!

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
New interview with rope kid:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-10-pillars-of-eternity-interview-off-cuts

quote:

Romances between you and fellow adventurers seem to be a de facto feature of role-playing games today. But Obsidian isn't doing them in Pillars of Eternity.

"We're not doing romances," said Sawyer, "but [the other characters] do have pretty detailed stories, they do have their own personal motivations and goals that sometimes align with yours and sometimes they don't. They interject into your conversations, they argue with you, they argue with each other."

Thank god.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Perhaps we can have 'romances' Witcher style with random women? Give the player some achievements while at it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ihmemies posted:

Perhaps we can have 'romances' Witcher style with random women? Give the player some achievements while at it too.

The sex cards were supremely hosed up. Those were easily worse than any generic rpg romance and I hope nothing like them gets put into this game.

• Locked thread