Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

poopkitty posted:

You are crazy. You are FAR better off where you are. Don't do it. (Not an officer, just a concerned goon.)

Go relocate and be a pharmacist somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

The Agent posted:

In no particular order:

- Do you or can you have any say in where you are stationed? We would ideally like to go to a different country.

In theory, yes, generally speaking. While the exact format/procedure is going to vary by service, there is going to be some sort of "dream sheet" process for putting in your assignment preferences.

Here's what happens in reality: your branch's personnel folks take that dream sheet, shred it, put up a dart board with such garden spots as Minot, ND and Clovis, NM on it, and huck darts until you get your assignment.

The Agent posted:

- What is the best way to estimate pay? I see the base rates + living COLAs, but I am having a tough time getting a good estimate because I don't know how to figure in housing allowances or any other pay provisions (I make a little over $113k currently and am aware that my pay would be much less in the military)

BAH calculator is here. Not sure exactly where a pharmacist would fall on the direct commission scale, but I would guess probably an O-2 or O-3. So base pay (after taxes) + tax free BAH and BAS (I think it's right around $242/month these days) would give you a rough idea of a monthly take home. FYI, most CONUS bases don't get COLA, that is generally an overseas thing.

The Agent posted:

- Is there any accommodations made as far as military spouses and finding a job? My fiancee is college educated and currently works as a paralegal, but I have no idea if she would be able to work for the military/a contractor in any similar capacity.

No. Some bases will have an arrangement that mil spouses get a higher priority for jobs on base, but those are almost always lovely receptionist/extremely low paying office work type gigs, definitely not a paralegal. The opportunity cost that mil spouses who are actually educated eat by virtue of having to move and not being able to sustain a serious career is pretty staggering, thus you see the proliferation of the dependopotamus.

The Agent posted:

If anyone is a current or former medical officer, I'd love to hear your experiences as well. Or feel free to tell me I am crazy for even considering.

Paging Derek Dominoe to the thread.

tl;dr if you are a pharmacist who is making $113K a year you would have to be Shim high to remotely think going into the military (even as an officer) is a remotely good idea. Take some of that $113K a year and take a nice vacation overseas to scratch that itch. Or take some of that money and use it to job hunt for a job somewhere YOU want to move to. Whatever, both options don't have you living in this place for 4 years of your life working for idiots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARtSx6kPQ8A

Yes, that is a real place you could very well be stationed if you join the United States Air Force. Every other branch has locations that are just as scenic.

e: Also the entire town smells like rear end. Seriously, all of it, like rear end, everywhere you go.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Agent posted:

I am a pharmacist considering joining as an officer. I am happily and gainfully employed currently, but my fiancee and I are getting a little restless living where we are (DC area) and want to have the opportunity to live and work in a new place. We are just beginning to think about this, so I am not really wanting to reach out to a recruiter just yet. I have a couple questions but I know there are things I am not even thinking to ask. In no particular order:

- Do you or can you have any say in where you are stationed? We would ideally like to go to a different country.
- What is the best way to estimate pay? I see the base rates + living COLAs, but I am having a tough time getting a good estimate because I don't know how to figure in housing allowances or any other pay provisions (I make a little over $113k currently and am aware that my pay would be much less in the military)
- Is there any accommodations made as far as military spouses and finding a job? My fiancee is college educated and currently works as a paralegal, but I have no idea if she would be able to work for the military/a contractor in any similar capacity.

If anyone is a current or former medical officer, I'd love to hear your experiences as well. Or feel free to tell me I am crazy for even considering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT20BZ-pBZY

Pretend that you're the fat kid and the military is high school (which is very apt because it basically is)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
One of the med goons will know for sure, but I've never seen a pharmacist in uniform. I don't know if the AF doesn't have them at all, only has a few, or if they just hide.

For the AF (and similar for the others), you don't pick where you go. You get to fill out a "dream sheet" but you go where they need you...if you're lucky it'll be one of your choices. The good news is that medical staff are everywhere. The bad news is that medical staff are everywhere.

Pay: you get base pay, plus the Basic Allowance for Subsistence and the Basic Allowance for Housing. Some areas (almost exclusively overseas) also get a cost of living adjustment. BAS is about $250. BAH is based upon your duty ZIP code...it's calculated from rental costs in the area. COLA is obviously area-dependent as well, but it's basically only in the most expensive places . Allowances are tax-free. Realize that including your allowances you'll make much less than now. As a Lt, under 50k. As a capt, more like 80k.

There may be some help in searching for a job for your wife, but realize that it's geared towards the GED/"I graduated by blowing my math teacher after the final!" crowd. She might find something in the base legal office, but they probably have a small staff...most on-base spouse jobs are running a cash register. She'll probably have to look off-base and honestly that's gonna be a hard sell. The fact that she's a mil-wife means they KNOW she will be leaving in a couple of years. That's a strike against her in most professional careers.

I wasn't medical but I was an officer and I think this is a terrible idea. If you don't like DC, ducking MOVE. You're not in the Soviet Union.

Also there are dozens of posts about how the chances of getting in as an officer are almost nil right now . Every service is being cut by thousands, and there are hundreds of applicants for each slot. Maybe medical is less competitive, though.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Lol that guy is a pharmacist, one of the most mobile, highly paid, good houred jobs and he wants to join the military.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

The pharmacists Ive seen are officers and all are miserable. The pharmacy techs are the same and dont be fooled into being a tech. Youre taking a pay cut if you join and youll hate it. Pick up and move yourself.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

anne frank fanfic posted:

Lol that guy is a pharmacist, one of the most mobile, highly paid, good houred jobs and he wants to join the military.

It is a good life choice.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I can not stress greatly enough how STUPID of an idea is to give up a career as a pharmacist to make yourself miserable in the military issuing Motrin to people in North Dakota.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
There are actually a couple of scenarios where this would be a good idea. If you steal pills from the pharmacy to sell to drug dealers and you need to move around every couple of years to avoid investigation. Or you mixed up a prescription and killed someone so you need to change jobs to avoid suspicion and will blend in really well where incompetency is the standard.

The Agent
Mar 10, 2008

The face of three franchises
Since the general consensus to "Should I be a military pharmacist?" has ranged from roughly :newlol: to :laffo: I guess I will be shitcanning that idea. Thanks everyone.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

+1 to GiP's RIF Excellence Award

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Agent posted:

Since the general consensus to "Should I be a military pharmacist?" has ranged from roughly :newlol: to :laffo: I guess I will be shitcanning that idea. Thanks everyone.

I hope you never have to learn how much you owe us.

Congrats on an honestly wise decision.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Thank gently caress.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
I, for one, think you should enlist into some kind of open contract.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

gleep gloop posted:

Thank gently caress.

Always good to save somebody the pain.

krispykremessuck posted:

Shut up.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

krispykremessuck posted:

18x

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

The Agent posted:

Better idea. Figure out how to use USAJobs and throw your resume on the stack. Hope you win the lottery. Live overseas, make fat stacks on 9-5, and take your wife to the Louvre without having to fill out a mileage pass like a grown rear end man.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Just went to MEPS and man, it was really poorly organized and the whole experience was just unnecessarily tense. I have to go back because they somehow didn't have my name despite the recruiter assuring me he called and set it up. I'll go back but it got me thinking that maybe I should start looking at grad schools instead.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you join, get used to it. That's typical.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

themrguy posted:

Just went to MEPS and man, it was really poorly organized and the whole experience was just unnecessarily tense. I have to go back because they somehow didn't have my name despite the recruiter assuring me he called and set it up. I'll go back but it got me thinking that maybe I should start looking at grad schools instead.

The key difference between what you just experienced and what the military is really like is that as a civilian, it's not your fault that they didn't have things set up properly. If this were the military, you would be to blame for it, spend your entire day there anyway, and then have to explain to at least three different supervisors what happened and how it's not your fault.

Enjoy your taste.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Vasudus posted:

... and then have to explain to at least three different supervisors what happened and how it's not your fault.

It will still end up being your fault.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Sometimes when something is 100% not your fault, and you get in trouble for it and explain how there was literally nothing you could do, you get in trouble for "trying to pass the blame" especially if the fuckup was someone higher ranking.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

themrguy posted:

Welcome to the military

edit: Start looking at grad schools.

edit 2: When you're in the military, everything is always your fault, including you being there.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 12, 2014

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

shyduck posted:

Welcome to the military

edit: Start looking at grad schools.

edit 2: When you're in the military, everything is always your fault, including especially you being there.

FTFY

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

themrguy posted:

Dont go back. Look at grad schools.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

I could go to MEPS every day for the next ten years and still want to kill myself less than being enlisted for one.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I am going to go back, to get the physical if nothing else. The navy ocs still seems just more interesting than any of the other options available to me right now, but I guess I hadn't considered the unpleasant aspects of it fully until this. I'll look into my other options more. Also my recruiter called me again today and apologized profusely and told me that MEPS was not representative of the navy at all, make of that what you will.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

themrguy posted:

Also my recruiter called me again today and apologized profusely and told me that MEPS was not representative of the navy at all, make of that what you will.

Hahahahahaha, holy poo poo. That's the most bold-faced lie I've heard in a long while.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
"Unnecessarily tense" is a pretty fitting description of the military experience in general, I think.

Maybe not so much for pilots. Pilots seem pretty chill.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

As a counterpoint, as a reservist I actually mostly enjoy the military. You'd be crazy to enlist active unless you absolutely don't have any other options.

Things I don't have to do regularly that would happen if you're active duty:

Wake up at 0400-0500 for PT.
Shave.
Cut my hair.
Have retards search my room at random hours under the guise of health.
Ask permission to travel.
Etc.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 13, 2014

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Your recruiter wasn't lying actually. MEPS isn't an accurate representation of the Navy at all because it's a million times less bullshitty than the actual thing. The military is way worse.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

themrguy posted:

Also my recruiter called me again today and apologized profusely and told me that MEPS was not representative of the navy at all, make of that what you will.

Yeah, MEPS is actually a fantastic representation of most medical or administrative processes you'll encounter in the military. It's about 100x better as an officer, but it really hammers home the "lowest common denominator" mindset of most military policies. If that's not something you can put up with on a regular basis, you should start running away very fast.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Hi GiP. I'm 20 and I really badly want to get out of an abusive household and I have no family or friends who can help me.
So everyone suggests the military. I don't care, I just want to get out. I can work hard and I'm in okay shape. I don't know poo poo about anything and I want to talk to a recruiter on Monday since I know there's a few offices around. I would rather be in any branch other than the army and the marines but I really do not care. I am ignorant and stupid.
Also I would like to go to college eventually.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

cubivore posted:

Hi GiP. I'm 20 and I really badly want to get out of an abusive household and I have no family or friends who can help me.
So everyone suggests the military. I don't care, I just want to get out. I can work hard and I'm in okay shape. I don't know poo poo about anything and I want to talk to a recruiter on Monday since I know there's a few offices around. I would rather be in any branch other than the army and the marines but I really do not care. I am ignorant and stupid.

Understand that running away from one abusive hosed up family to a new abusive hosed up family with the authority to get you killed isn't 100% the best way to solve problems. Especially if you don't really stop and work out exactly what, and why, you're doing man.

Please don't think I'm saying the military isn't a way to get a leg up and change your life circumstances, just understand it won't necessarily change you or any problems you have- more than likely it will make them worse.

The military isn't really the "best" place to grow up and turn your life around like it was back in the day when you could join instead of going to jail and maybe get a little growing up done. It's an all volunteer "professional" military at war, in the process of drawing down and losing the gently caress out of their budgets.

If you go in a mentally unstable abused and distracted guy you're probably going to come out the same, in not very short order, with a whole host of new life problems to deal with ranging from a discharge you can't get changed to coming home in a box for whatever reason.

Again, not saying you can't do it man, but if you take one piece of advice take this: Stop and really figure out what it is you want to do, why you want to do it, how you're going to do it, and then do it. Don't expect the military to do it for you, or change you or your life- feel free to use the military to do so, but understand they're going to be using you much more than you ever use them.. and if you're okay with that and make peace with the pro's and con's and possibilities, go in as ready as you possibly can be to do well, and good luck to you.

We need guys working out their personal problems while standing watches or on patrols about as much as we need another rape prevention briefing.. Be ready to hit the ground running, and not just away from your home and people who are loving with your life.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

cubivore posted:

Join the Navy and get into something that will give you job skills when you get out. Logistics is a good field to look into since the dudes on the civilian side loading ships and poo poo in the port can make a good chunk of change.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Go into calibrations for whatever branch you pick. It's boring but everyone needs their poo poo calibrated and people will think you're smart just cause you work with things that are super accurate. Pays decently once you get out too.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Without joking, if I don't get out I'm probably gonna end up dead regardless.
Even if I'm all hosed up in the head I'm completely able to put that all away and just do whatever I'm told, even if that's just another sign of me having problems. It's not like I haven't been existing that way the entire rest of my life. The only things I want are getting independent and getting the education to do some job that I can survive on. I'm probably living in some sort of survival mode these days.

I'll look into the Navy.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

cubivore posted:

Without joking, if I don't get out I'm probably gonna end up dead regardless.
Even if I'm all hosed up in the head I'm completely able to put that all away and just do whatever I'm told, even if that's just another sign of me having problems. It's not like I haven't been existing that way the entire rest of my life. The only things I want are getting independent and getting the education to do some job that I can survive on. I'm probably living in some sort of survival mode these days.

I'll look into the Navy.

Good luck, and I hope it all works out well for you.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A Kpro posted:

Go into calibrations for whatever branch you pick. It's boring but everyone needs their poo poo calibrated and people will think you're smart just cause you work with things that are super accurate. Pays decently once you get out too.

The AF contracts that poo poo out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
I remember in the navy that there were cal shops on the carrier, I think some air rates do it but I don't think you can sign up specifically to calibrate poo poo at all

In the case of submarines its just a collateral duty of course

• Locked thread