Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009
We're getting the WW2 arc.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-02-06/mamoru-miyano-plays-young-kamogawa-in-hajime-no-ipoo-rising-specials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Oh good. I mean people seemed pretty confident we were gonna get it, but I was suspicious that there wouldn't be enough time in this season. I guess I was right!

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I am pretty ok with it being an OAV special. Not so sure how I feel about Miyano being Kamogawa though.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I am pretty ok with it being an OAV special. Not so sure how I feel about Miyano being Kamogawa though.

Yeah OVA is fine, and march isn't crazy town in terms of release.

What else has miyano done that might make you worry / care?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

He's not done anything bad or a role that soured me, just doesn't seem like a miyano role. I normally like his roles all things considered and I'm sure it'll be fine once I hear it.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Are you ready for six whole pages of new Ippo?

http://www.mangareader.net/hajime-no-ippo/1040

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Are you ready for six whole pages of new Ippo?

http://www.mangareader.net/hajime-no-ippo/1040

-Something he hasn't used until know. What could it be?
-Maybe his other arm?
-*gasp* you're allowed to use both arms in boxing!(a very high-level skill). That's gotta be it. You figured it out!

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
1041: http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1041/2249/1

1042: http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1042/2250/1

"The tactics of the man ranked number two in the world!" Is a 1-2. :what:

Oh, Hajime No Ippo :allears:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Your clean hits mean nothing to samurai spirit

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I've had two arms my entire life and never considered it to be a secret weapon.

"A punch came out of his hand somehow!"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I think I'd be okay with ippo anime going off the rails and coming up with an independent ending at this point.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Hm.
I was waiting for you to notice it.
yes…this fighter…has TWO HANDS
Truly this is boxing on the world level

Go! Ippo!
He doesn't see it. He doesn't see the cunning strategy of world stage.
What do you mean?
I'm saying...this boxer is going to throw a fist with his other hand...

Ippo... I believe in you, show us what you've learned. Show us you've learned to beat a man who has one hand tied behind his back, until he doesn't.

A SECOND ARROW STRIKES FROM THE DARKNESS?! TWO FISTS?! THE DANGER OF THE WORLD CIRCUIT MAKES ITSELF KNOWN!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
A-ha! You thought you had me but I intercepted your punch with my head!

This proves that all the things I learned were worth it.

Next: Hitting your knuckles with my face.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Wait until he gets tired from hitting you then knock him out.

Truly a world class level tactic!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

trucutru posted:

A-ha! You thought you had me but I intercepted your punch with my head!

This proves that all the things I learned were worth it.

Next: Hitting your knuckles with my face.

To be fair, this is actually a real thing. It's kind of a last resort sort of deal, when you have no other option but to take the hit, but the alternative is taking the punch to your face where it will absolutely hurt a lot more.

The rest, however, is as hilariously insulting to real boxing as I've come to expect out of this manga.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Actually stopping a punch with the right part of your forehead is a viable strategy since if you do it right you can cause the person hitting you to break their fingers/fist. Kind of considered a dick move though and you're still basically getting punched in the head.

It's not like Ippo ever had high-level boxing in it anyway since half of the boxers do completely illegal poo poo like rabbit punches (half of itagaki's punches when he's doing his Matrix speed poo poo are illegal) or jumping on the loving ropes during the round.

I'm expecting Gonzalez to reveal he knows the secret rule in boxing where you're allowed to kick or some poo poo now.

Ippo.gif

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 11, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Big L posted:

1041: http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1041/2249/1

1042: http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1042/2250/1

"The tactics of the man ranked number two in the world!" Is a 1-2. :what:

Oh, Hajime No Ippo :allears:

Isn't that what Eagle did?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Fabricated posted:

It's not like Ippo ever had high-level boxing in it anyway since half of the boxers do completely illegal poo poo like rabbit punches (half of itagaki's punches when he's doing his Matrix speed poo poo are illegal) or jumping on the loving ropes during the round.

Yeah, can't a rabbit punch loving kill a dude? Like, so can a fist to the brain, but still.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rei_ posted:

Yeah, can't a rabbit punch loving kill a dude? Like, so can a fist to the brain, but still.

It's fine since Itagaki doesn't punch that hard, you see?

Fabricated posted:

I'm expecting Gonzalez to reveal he knows the secret rule in boxing where you're allowed to kick or some poo poo now.

Shhhhh, don't spoil the secret Mexican Machismo special move.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Actually stopping a punch with the right part of your forehead is a viable strategy since if you do it right you can cause the person hitting you to break their fingers/fist. Kind of considered a dick move though and you're still basically getting punched in the head.

I'm told some old-school coaches still teach this as a primary line of defense. Also that they're usually tragically punch drunk.

quote:

But we're talking about the sport where you have to bite someone's ear off to stand out as a dirty fighter. OK that's obviously hyperbole, but it takes a lot to get DQed or even penalized in boxing (or in MMA which I'm admittedly more familiar with). Even for really egregious stuff you tend to get the benefit of the doubt and multiple warnings. I think the Mashiba-Sawamura fight ought to have been stopped but otherwise I have a hard time really calling this aspect unrealistic.

Also is Woli's poo poo actually illegal? I looked over one ruleset (British Boxing Board of Control, the first one that came up on Google) and couldn't find a rule against it. In a hypertechnical sense it could be a down if they're being supported by the ropes and the ref ruled he couldn't defend himself, but that's obviously not the intended interpretation of that rule. I assume it's just so stupid and unrealistic that there need be no such rule.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 11, 2014

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

To be honest the events themselves were not dumb.. Training your opponent to react the way you want him to. Saving your best punch until you're sure it will hit. Taking a punch with the forehead rather than your face when you have no time to escape. It's just the way morikawa's trying to paint it as a surprise that's off the charts.

His right is strongest.... he's only been using his left.... he's hiding something.... what could it be... oh no... no! Ippo! It's... our calculations... they're all wrong! ITS HIS OTHER HAND! THERE WILL BE A PUNCH FROM HIS OTHER PUNCHING HAND!!! IT'S WHAT HE'S BEEN-
I... i never painted you as a master tactician ippo... but maybe you do have what it takes to be the best. To miscalculate your opponents number of hands, and to take the opponents strongest punch with your face, that is the spirit of the kamogawa gym!

If the whole thing was painted as "I know his right is coming but not when, i'll just have to try to evade it when it comes" and the exact same events unfolded, it would have been all fine.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

McNerd posted:

I'm told some old-school coaches still teach this as a primary line of defense. Also that they're usually tragically punch drunk.

But we're talking about the sport where you have to bite someone's ear off to stand out as a dirty fighter. OK that's obviously hyperbole, but it takes a lot to get DQed or even penalized in boxing (or in MMA which I'm admittedly more familiar with). Even for really egregious stuff you tend to get the benefit of the doubt and multiple warnings. I think the Mashiba-Sawamura fight ought to have been stopped but otherwise I have a hard time really calling this aspect unrealistic.

Also is Woli's poo poo actually illegal? I looked over one ruleset (British Boxing Board of Control, the first one that came up on Google) and couldn't find a rule against it. In a hypertechnical sense it could be a down if they're being supported by the ropes and the ref ruled he couldn't defend himself, but that's obviously not the intended interpretation of that rule. I assume it's just so stupid and unrealistic that there need be no such rule.
Standing on the ropes is illegal I think, and hitting on/out of the ropes along with holding onto the rope while hitting are definitely illegal. Pivot punches have seen a lot of use in Ippo and I think I've seen them called for fouls in like ONE fight (Mashiba/Sawamura) and that fight's whole gimmick was that it was a foul-o-rama. Cutting with the laces of the glove is less common and I think someone got a warning for it once?

All of the fast boxers have liberally used what any ref would call rabbit punches.

The refs in Ippo are literally blind. Gedo prying open Ippo's guard is an absolute foul and I remember Kamogawa being like, "Well, he's not getting caught- I'd tell him to do it if he was MY boxer!" so Kamogawa apparently doesn't care much for the rules. Itagaki's first loss hilariously enough was because he got flustered because the guy he was boxing was fouling the poo poo out of him and it wasn't being called (which it SHOULD be in a pro ring, but Kamogawa and company were like, "That's the pro ring! Deal w/ it").

Oh yeah, at least over here it's also typically considered a foul (point deductions) if seconds yell at their fighters during a round. :haw:

Edit: Oh yeah it's also illegal to duck to where your head is lower than your opponent's waistband. Ippo does this a LOT.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 11, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I knew at some point one of Ippo's special moves would involve getting punched.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

SirDan3k posted:

I knew at some point one of Ippo's special moves would involve getting punched.

He did the same thing against Miyata way back when the Earth was new, they even made reference to it. It was his move even before the motionless short upper or whatever crap that was that was really just a smash.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Watch any recent Bernard Hopkins fight if you want to be someone be really dirty to throw the opponent off their game to win

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab

Bisse posted:

To be honest the events themselves were not dumb.. Training your opponent to react the way you want him to. Saving your best punch until you're sure it will hit. Taking a punch with the forehead rather than your face when you have no time to escape. It's just the way morikawa's trying to paint it as a surprise that's off the charts.

He must have seen the movie Gladiator.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rabite posted:

He must have seen the movie Gladiator.

Did the dude in Gladiator use both hands?

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab

trucutru posted:

Did the dude in Gladiator use both hands?

There was 3 dudes and I dont think any of them did Aoki's double punch.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I actually like what happened in the most recent chapter. Ippo did the sort of thing to his opponent that we usually see opponents doing to Ippo.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Here it comes.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-02-06/mamoru-miyano-plays-young-kamogawa-in-hajime-no-ipoo-rising-specials

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Last episode of Ippo was fuckin nuts. Hard wait for next week.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If I want to get into Ippo should I read the manga or watch the anime? I know the manga's about 1000 chapters or so, but I'd totally read it if it didn't seem like some of the early translations were hot garbage, "Are you guys cooling fans?" I then watched the first episode of the anime and the dialogue was written much better, but I don't know if there's any anime specific stuff I need to watch out for. I noticed the Tyson stuff was missing, but considering this was made in 2000 I can imagine why.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Anime for sure. It really helps that most episodes cover several chapters since they don't have to worry about catching up to the manga any time soon, and Madhouse does a fine job at animating people getting punched in the face.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sex_Ferguson posted:

If I want to get into Ippo should I read the manga or watch the anime? I know the manga's about 1000 chapters or so, but I'd totally read it if it didn't seem like some of the early translations were hot garbage, "Are you guys cooling fans?" I then watched the first episode of the anime and the dialogue was written much better, but I don't know if there's any anime specific stuff I need to watch out for. I noticed the Tyson stuff was missing, but considering this was made in 2000 I can imagine why.

Anime to start, for sure. The manga is great (during the periods that the anime has covered, at least) and at least for the second season I'd recommend maybe reading those chapters before watching the show (second season is kind of an odd duck,) but the first 72 episodes (S1) and the movies are fantastic, and Season 3 has been killer as well.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The anime is awesome and one of my favorites ever. The manga gets dumb after around Volume 60 (which is about where the show is going to end this season.) For reference, I believe that's about 500 chapters ago.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Srice posted:

Anime for sure. It really helps that most episodes cover several chapters since they don't have to worry about catching up to the manga any time soon, and Madhouse does a fine job at animating people getting punched in the face.

if they adapt the later arcs in a reasonable pace for TV they could legitimately be doing like 15 chapters per episode lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

tbp posted:

if they adapt the later arcs in a reasonable pace for TV they could legitimately be doing like 15 chapters per episode lol

Probably! They already go fairly fast since the original anime covered what, 30ish volumes in 70-something episodes? Madhouse gets poo poo done.

Hell, make it 20+ considering how short a lot of chapters are these days. Ippo is about to punch a dude! END OF CHAPTER :smith:

Srice fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 19, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ippo for as annoying as it can be in manga form has gotten a pretty stellar anime adaptation so far. Also it has great VAs and I normally don't really care that much about Japanese VAs; for some reason everyone sounds exactly as I imagined them (:rip: Kamogawa's VA).

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Fabricated posted:

Ippo for as annoying as it can be in manga form has gotten a pretty stellar anime adaptation so far. Also it has great VAs and I normally don't really care that much about Japanese VAs; for some reason everyone sounds exactly as I imagined them (:rip: Kamogawa's VA).

Well it helps that we haven't hit the poo poo slalom that comes after Ippo's next fight. If they do another season of the Anime including Karasawa and beyond, I would be very impressed if they could make it nearly as good as what we've gotten so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Frabba posted:

Well it helps that we haven't hit the poo poo slalom that comes after Ippo's next fight. If they do another season of the Anime including Karasawa and beyond, I would be very impressed if they could make it nearly as good as what we've gotten so far.

It wont be as good by any means (christ I think eagle is the last good takamura fight we've even got) but if nothing else it'd be better than the manga just because the pacing will improve.