Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
That guy who passed had some bad luck, but I can't help but think passing a semi on a turn like that with no good field of vision, plus the roads being poo poo was probably not a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Wickerman posted:

That guy who passed had some bad luck, but I can't help but think passing a semi on a turn like that with no good field of vision, plus the roads being poo poo was probably not a good idea.

Driving in Russia is probably not a good idea.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

With how much time they spend careening around people and overtaking in the snow, you think they'd be better at it.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
I've watched so many of those danged Russian vids now that I've got PTSD; I start sweating at each and every intersection - stoplights or no stoplights / right of way or no right of way - and it gets worse when inclement weather is going on.

Thanks, SA.

Dammit_Carl! fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 31, 2014

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Not gonna lie... Those Russian dashcam videos have certainly put situational awareness square at the forefront of my cranium when I am on the road. More so around intersections, but I definitely look both ways about three times before moving along

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I've started checking my blind spots when walking and leaving a reasonable gap of at least one person-length.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm still picking the seat cushion out of my rear end from this one. :suspense: No way in hell could I have stopped for that, just glad the guy who was next to me gave me room to swerve.

This one is intentionally poo poo quality, since there wound up being a few :cop: involved (they have the original unedited file, just didn't think it'd be a good idea to post the original yet).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 1, 2014

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

some texas redneck posted:

[url=http://youtu.be/OJg8XXajwxM]I'm still picking the seat cushion out of my rear end from this one.

poo poo, that happened to me on 20 going to Arlington yesterday. Guy in a construction F-250 just parked it in the 2nd-to-left lane in 8 a.m. rush hour traffic and then started weaving back and forth halfway into the surrounding lanes. I got stuck behind him for a few minutes until a gap opened up to change lanes safely enough; turns out his hood had unlatched and flown up on him. Scary as hell when things go from 70+ to 0 in just a few hundred feet around a curve.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kilersquirrel posted:

poo poo, that happened to me on 20 going to Arlington yesterday. Guy in a construction F-250 just parked it in the 2nd-to-left lane in 8 a.m. rush hour traffic and then started weaving back and forth halfway into the surrounding lanes. I got stuck behind him for a few minutes until a gap opened up to change lanes safely enough; turns out his hood had unlatched and flown up on him. Scary as hell when things go from 70+ to 0 in just a few hundred feet around a curve.

That's no excuse! I had a 1988 CRX hood fly open on the freeway and smash my windshield to bits. I stuck my head out the window IMMEDIATLY and kept going 75 until I could safely get over to the side.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I'm still picking the seat cushion out of my rear end from this one. :suspense: No way in hell could I have stopped for that, just glad the guy who was next to me gave me room to swerve.

This one is intentionally poo poo quality, since there wound up being a few :cop: involved (they have the original unedited file, just didn't think it'd be a good idea to post the original yet).

Actually, the fact that you really had to edit the video is probably the final point that sells me on the G1W, but your other posts have done a good job too. A lot of cameras with similar levels of build quality really don't seem to have crisp video even if they're delivering the advertised resolution. It seems to me like being able to read license plates and the sort is a critical selling point of a dashcam and I've seen a number of demonstration videos for cameras that are a bit too questionable.

I know it's still at the bottom end of cameras, but the price:quality ratio is what I'm after.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

ratbert90 posted:

That's no excuse! I had a 1988 CRX hood fly open on the freeway and smash my windshield to bits. I stuck my head out the window IMMEDIATLY and kept going 75 until I could safely get over to the side.

Hey I'm not defending him there, that's exactly what he should have done, I'm pretty sure I sprouted a couple new gray hairs that morning. That section of 20 is right before the exit to Tarrant Community College so it's normally a circus of dumbassery on a good day and that certainly didn't help things. drat near caused a pileup.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ror posted:

Actually, the fact that you really had to edit the video is probably the final point that sells me on the G1W, but your other posts have done a good job too. A lot of cameras with similar levels of build quality really don't seem to have crisp video even if they're delivering the advertised resolution. It seems to me like being able to read license plates and the sort is a critical selling point of a dashcam and I've seen a number of demonstration videos for cameras that are a bit too questionable.

I know it's still at the bottom end of cameras, but the price:quality ratio is what I'm after.

It was the best price:video quality camera in mid 2013, which is why I got one to begin with. And honestly, it really does better than a lot of higher end cameras. There's been some knockoffs showing up (which is funny since it's already a generic knockoff), but that's why I keep recommending the seller I dealt with (estore009 on ebay; they have an Amazon storefront as well, though it's changed names a few times - looks like it's now Blueskysea).

At night, I still can't read license plates with it unless I'm right up on their bumper; same if the sun is glaring into the camera. But it performs like a middle to higher end phone camera in just about every situation.

I edited the video not because the license plate was readable (I couldn't even read it from 3 car lengths back, partly due to dark, partly due to old glasses, partly due to an out of state tag with a format I couldn't easily make out without being close), but because street signs were easily readable. And the only reason I even did that is because there were cops involved.

The only editing I've done to every video I've posted from it has simply been trimming the video down to a reasonable length (or in one case, substituting the Benny Hill theme song for the original audio). And my editing tools consist of... Windows Movie Maker. :haw:

Kilersquirrel posted:

poo poo, that happened to me on 20 going to Arlington yesterday.

Dallas Parkway in Frisco. There was no obvious reason for the car to have stopped - nothing in the road, nothing visibly broken, though they threw their hazards on as I was passing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have a dash cam although I want one that does motion detecting and has better night vision/LED lighting.

The most difficult thing is finding something that isnt going to obscure my god drat view. If its going to be a permanent fixture in my car, I want it to be able to be hidden behind my rearview mirror.

I have a similar one to this: http://dx.com/p/lson-x6-2-0-tft-3-0mp-cmos-wide-angle-car-rear-view-mirror-dvr-w-tf-av-out-mini-usb-black-196380#.Uu8ZvPmSyKJ which is pretty good for hiding, but the night vision LEDS seem to work at a range of about 3 inches, and quality-wise the footage isnt really useful for ID'ing a plate unless its almost hitting the car anyway.

So what I am after:
rear camera
motion sensing
good night vis for motion sensing
compact size/no horrible suction mounts

Its a shame my gopro is so expensive and a theft target, otherwise I would use that - the image quality is simply amazing by comparison.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

"Night vision" on pretty much every dash cam (and pretty much every camera in general) is just a bunch of lovely IR LEDs. And what happens when you shine a light at a piece of glass? :ssh:It reflects!

Most dashcams can easily be mounted in a way that they're hidden (from the driver view) by the mirror. I have mine mounted such that I have to lean way over to see more than a tiny corner of the display; I could hide it entirely from my view, but at least this way I can glance up and see that it's on and recording.

As for the mount, I know the G1W uses a fairly common mount (same one the camera you linked uses). Supposedly you can track down visor and mini windshield mounts? Frankly, I'd much prefer a visor mount, but I've been too lazy to bother with tracking it down.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

As for the mount, I know the G1W uses a fairly common mount (same one the camera you linked uses). Supposedly you can track down visor and mini windshield mounts? Frankly, I'd much prefer a visor mount, but I've been too lazy to bother with tracking it down.

I've got a G1W and would love a visor mount, tried finding one online today with little success. Because of some little black bumps on my windshield near the rearview mirror, I can't mount it up near the mirror so it has to be more towards the passenger side and is really noticeable and ugly. It's far enough over that I can see about 1/2 the screen on the back while driving. I stopped using it for now because it's in such a bad position. If I could move it over 3 inches towards the center and a little up, it would be so much better. Here's a picture:

Thinking of picking up a Mini 0801 since it's supposed to be alright and is much smaller so I can stuff it up where it's not noticeable. Even with the sticky tape mounting(which I kinda don't want to do), it may be a better option for me. But the visor mount for the G1W I already have would be preferable.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Rotate the camera on mount through 180 degrees (i.e. to point the camera backwards if it were attatched to your car), then 'tilt' the suction pad towards the lens. you end up with a more compact mount.

It limits the vertical range since the suction pad is right above the lens, so may not work depending on the angle of your windshield.

I just bought another G1W for my next car, and I got a blue one! At least it matches the paintwork.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ltr posted:

I've got a G1W and would love a visor mount, tried finding one online today with little success. Because of some little black bumps on my windshield near the rearview mirror, I can't mount it up near the mirror so it has to be more towards the passenger side and is really noticeable and ugly. It's far enough over that I can see about 1/2 the screen on the back while driving. I stopped using it for now because it's in such a bad position. If I could move it over 3 inches towards the center and a little up, it would be so much better. Here's a picture:

Thinking of picking up a Mini 0801 since it's supposed to be alright and is much smaller so I can stuff it up where it's not noticeable. Even with the sticky tape mounting(which I kinda don't want to do), it may be a better option for me. But the visor mount for the G1W I already have would be preferable.

The Mini 0801 is great and super small.

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
I got my G1W (in brown) and I'm impressed!

As with a few others, I'm looking for a visor mount, not had much success so far as most of the camera mounts I've seen are for some variation of the screw-on sort like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190897181553

The G1W uses some kind of slide-on plastic rectangle type mount (it's hard to describe, I suspect it has a name). I'd really like something similar to the linked mount, cheap and unobtrusive, but basically with the slide/click mount. Anyone come up with anything broadly similar?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
When I'm on my bicycle (which hasn't happened in a month with my broken knee) and there's a car that's worrying me I say their license number out loud. You all can do that pretty quickly if you're recording audio.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

ltr posted:

I recently got a mini 0801 and it's great. Mine is slightly blurry on the left side probably because of a lovely lens but I don't care. I'd also advise getting the non-gps version because the GPS version imprints your speed into the video at all times and it is horribly inaccurate (and incriminating). The sound is poo poo but I'm sure they all are.

It's super discreet and very easy to disconnect and remove from the car when you want to. It comes with or without 8gb built-in, both versions have a slot for microSD card.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Betacord posted:

I got my G1W (in brown) and I'm impressed!

As with a few others, I'm looking for a visor mount, not had much success so far as most of the camera mounts I've seen are for some variation of the screw-on sort like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190897181553

Supposedly it uses a similar mount as the LS300W, though you'd need to trim it a little. Supposedly.

If that's the case, something like this will probably be what you're looking for.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Rotate the camera on mount through 180 degrees (i.e. to point the camera backwards if it were attatched to your car), then 'tilt' the suction pad towards the lens. you end up with a more compact mount.

It limits the vertical range since the suction pad is right above the lens, so may not work depending on the angle of your windshield.

Tried it but my window is too vertical for it to work.

Supposedly it uses a similar mount as the LS300W, though you'd need to trim it a little. Supposedly.

If that's the case, something like this will probably be what you're looking for.

For $2.39 I just ordered one of these. It'll be a while to get here, but it may work as a solution with a little dremel work. If not, by the time it gets here I'll have enough extra cash to order a Mini 0801 and just stick the G1W in the back window until someone rear-ends me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FWIW, my car has that same funky dot-matrix thing going on across the top of the windshield - the G1W's mount sticks to it for about 5 minutes before taking flying lessons. Thankfully, between the tinted windows, larger windshield, black mirror, and some black tape, it's not super obvious when you walk past the car.

That stands out pretty bad on your car. :smith: You could use some double sided tape to move the mount up a bit higher, but then you'd risk damaging that dot matrix crap whenever you get sick of this camera and remove the mount.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
It has been below freezing every day since I got my car back last Friday so I haven't been about to mount mine. Of course today I get to watch a dipshit in a truck do a full 360 and not touch a single thing. Amazingly no one rear ended me or anyone else when we stopped for him. He was blocking 3 out of 4 lanes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tuna posted:

I recently got a mini 0801 and it's great. Mine is slightly blurry on the left side probably because of a lovely lens but I don't care. I'd also advise getting the non-gps version because the GPS version imprints your speed into the video at all times and it is horribly inaccurate (and incriminating). The sound is poo poo but I'm sure they all are.

It's super discreet and very easy to disconnect and remove from the car when you want to. It comes with or without 8gb built-in, both versions have a slot for microSD card.

This is only true if you use the built in viewer. The .mov files can be played in any player with no GPS coordinates.

Edit: Anyone want to buy a Mini 0801 w/ GPS? I've got 2 due to an ordering mixup, brand new.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Bovril Delight posted:

This is only true if you use the built in viewer. The .mov files can be played in any player with no GPS coordinates.

Ah, somehow I missed the option called "stamp" which does this. I found out also if you insert something into the "driver number" it wont display the GPS speed if you do still like displaying the coords. Thanks!

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
My G1W has started making weird morse code type noises over the recordings, I'm guessing the mic has shifted and is now next to some internal stuff. Luckily the sound recording was pretty lousy anyway, so I've just muted it. As long as the video works I'm happy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Betacord posted:

My G1W has started making weird morse code type noises over the recordings, I'm guessing the mic has shifted and is now next to some internal stuff. Luckily the sound recording was pretty lousy anyway, so I've just muted it. As long as the video works I'm happy.

Is your cellphone right next to it?

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
Nope! I did consider that, the sound is a little different to phone transmission though, more like background spaceship noises on some 70s sci-fi or an ancient modem. It's still recording sound, but it's drowned out by the weird noises. Not changed anything, it just started doing it one day. Tried hard-resetting, changing various config options without success.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

So, if nightvision mode on those cameras is just small IR LEDs would it be smarter to have external IR lights for MLG NIGHTVISION PRO?

Do they make IR fogs?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Apparently the 2015 Corvette will have the first factory dashcam in a car.

I'm surprised it took this long. You'd think that with many cars having rear bumper cams and LCD displays already that a factory dashcam option would be more common by now.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Arggghh. Any suggestions to get this thing to stick to my windshield? I tried last night but it kept falling off. How warm does my windshield need to be?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I've always seen a night and day difference in sticking power based on whether the suction cup is wet or dry - with wet being better. I'll admit that there's now rings of dried spit on the inside of my windshield.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Just be careful - it fell off yesterday after months of being stuck on. I licked it and got a couple months of trail dust on my tongue.

You guys would probably be smart enough to just use your finger though...

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Craptacular posted:

Apparently the 2015 Corvette will have the first factory dashcam in a car.

I'm surprised it took this long. You'd think that with many cars having rear bumper cams and LCD displays already that a factory dashcam option would be more common by now.

Can't wait to see what the :tinfoil: :freep: set has to say about this.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I'm not very :tinfoil:, but I've put electrical tape over my laptop's camera because it creeps me out to have it always looking at me. It shouldn't be too hard for someone to neuter their cameras if they don't want 'em. I bet the production version runs through OnStar and carries something like a >$20 monthly subscription fee to use. Not to say that it wouldn't collect/transmit data without the subscription... yeah maybe I am a little paranoid.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not paranoia if they're actually doing it. :v:

I mean we've known for years that every single internet company is logging everything they can every time you hit their website, and in the last year we've learned that everyone's government is doing it too.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Anyone have a quick list of the optimal settings for this?

I need to turn the sound off and possibly change how long the intervals are. Seems by default it is set to 3 minute intervals which seems kind of short. I finally got it to stick last night and got to record my 15mph commute home because I got stuck late at work. Amazing how leaving 30 minutes late gets me home an hour later than usual.

Also, the interface is incredibly tedious. Any tips?

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 12, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

NoWake posted:

I'm not very :tinfoil:, but I've put electrical tape over my laptop's camera because it creeps me out to have it always looking at me. It shouldn't be too hard for someone to neuter their cameras if they don't want 'em. I bet the production version runs through OnStar and carries something like a >$20 monthly subscription fee to use. Not to say that it wouldn't collect/transmit data without the subscription... yeah maybe I am a little paranoid.

I've seen a few coworkers put tape over their work laptop webcams. I'd understand the concern if you're jerkin' it while on a conf call from home but a) there's an indicator LED and b) if anyone wants to watch me sit for 10 hours in an office chair, I'm more than happy to waste their time!

On the other hand, the standard dashcams are a bit disconcerting because I could see you getting in trouble for disabling it intentionally sooner rather than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I've seen a few coworkers put tape over their work laptop webcams. I'd understand the concern if you're jerkin' it while on a conf call from home but a) there's an indicator LED and b) if anyone wants to watch me sit for 10 hours in an office chair, I'm more than happy to waste their time!

There have been a handful of cases where exactly that has been done, one was with school provided laptops taking pictures of kids in their bedroom, another was a rent-to-own outfit keeping track of any laptops they sold by turning the camera on at set intervals. Taping the camera is a valid defense, as there are proof of concept exploits where the camera can be turned on without the led being lit, even in cases where the manufacturer claims it's impossible.

Back on the subject of cars, there is no doubt that recorded footage will be used to investigate accidents. They already do it with data recorded by the vehicle electronics, having a video stream is the logical next step.

I sure as poo poo won't be buying a car that has manufacturer installed cameras.