Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

crowfeathers posted:

Wizardries 6-8 are pretty great, but man do they feel old -- especially 6. The PS2 wizardry might be my favorite though.

Yep, the graphics in 6 sure are ... something. I already thought it looked butt ugly when it came out, the EGA palette really isn't all that well-suited for atmospheric-looking dungeons and the like, and it also has one of the worst flesh colors I've ever seen. As a result, I never spent any time with 6 but it really looks like I've been missing out. I'll definitely be following Luisfe's exploits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Go with the Parchment, it looks really good.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Goon made parties are the best parties. :allears:

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

"Typhoid, rattlers, and now drownin' in rivers? I think we need ourselves a new leader, or we're goin' the way o' the Donner Party."

fixelbrumpf posted:

Yep, the graphics in 6 sure are ... something. I already thought it looked butt ugly when it came out, the EGA palette really isn't all that well-suited for atmospheric-looking dungeons and the like, and it also has one of the worst flesh colors I've ever seen. As a result, I never spent any time with 6 but it really looks like I've been missing out. I'll definitely be following Luisfe's exploits.

It left a hell of an impression on me on my playthrough, especially as the story unfolds in the late game. I can't really detail anything without pretty blatant spoilers, but I can say the antagonists are far more 3-dimensional than most RPG's had at the time. I even hesitate to call them evil, really, just people that had high ambitions and poo poo backfired. You'll see what I mean eventually.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I sent an email to David Walters (Maker of Grid Cartographer) and he responded with a fix to the "VDU theme causes processor to overload". Will try that. If even that does not function adequately, well, it is goddamn cyan graphics. MY EYES.

Edit: And it worked. Removing the post-processing (so, removing the scanlinesy thing) allows me to run both dosbox and it without my computer melting. It is slightly less pretty but it works. With the post-processing, the thing would make my computer's processor be above 90 Celsius by itself, without it? Comfortably working at 55 or so. Really weird.

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 9, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Post processing can be resource intensive so I'm not suprised it would cause your laptop to choke.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Still going to use the cyan horrible eye searing theme for the next update though

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Luisfe posted:

I sent an email to David Walters (Maker of Grid Cartographer) and he responded with a fix to the "VDU theme causes processor to overload". Will try that. If even that does not function adequately, well, it is goddamn cyan graphics. MY EYES.

Edit: And it worked. Removing the post-processing (so, removing the scanlinesy thing) allows me to run both dosbox and it without my computer melting. It is slightly less pretty but it works. With the post-processing, the thing would make my computer's processor be above 90 Celsius by itself, without it? Comfortably working at 55 or so. Really weird.

I'm glad you got that sorted out. It is quite an expensive effect for what you gain visually. It makes my old 9800GT fan start to spin up too, which is why you have the option.

Still hoping for the visual onslaught of the CGA theme!

Hidden Asbestos fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 9, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

BY BANDWAGON SUBFORUM-REFERENTIAL VOTING, YOU HAVE INJOKED MY PRESENCE.

I honestly wouldn't have thought to look at this LP otherwise as I never really touched old dungeon crawler games. Looking forward to more!

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 9, 2014

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 05

This fountain is honestly quite useful. Allows the party to get restoration of the stamina. Fun.

God drat it. I rather dislike this goddamn theme! Also, the scifi one works now quite well! Thanks, HiddenAsbestos!

Well let's advance.
I hosed up and jammed that door on the left of the fountain. I am a durr. And bad at maps.

Really bad at maps but let's map this poo poo.

This could be slightly easier if I had a direction spell. Soon.

Yeah. THere are a bunch of stairs here. Up and down.

And up here as well!

: "IT IS BECOMING INCREASINGLY CLEAR THAT THE COSMIC FORGE IS NOT IN THIS PARTICULAR FLOOR."
: "Nothing is ever as easy as one wants. "

Here is another interesting feature of the game. Being able to change classes, names, portraits. Not races though.

You just pop over to "change profession" and presto!

Eeeeh. THough fighter priest does describe a monk quite well don't it?

Another crossroad. Leading up and down.

A closed door!

: "This smells fishy!"
; "WHERE? There is only dust and age smells here."
: "I DO NOT PERCEIVE ANY SMELLS, BUT THIS DOES WARRANT FURTHER INVESTIGATION."

But investigation shall wait a while. There is further mapping to be done.

: "WHAT, THE CASTLE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE DESERTED."
: "You thought we would be the only ones searching this place? "
: "Brigands of all kinds are always attracted to empty dwelling places. It is practically a rule of nature."

Well i was not expecting this encounter. Oh well. And then WHEN I want a goddamn encounter, there are none

: "DO YOU LIKE MY TOUCH? I THINK YOU SHOULD LIKE MY TOUCH. IT IS QUITE GOOD."

Not a bad amount of xp, hah.

Pants! Hopefully better than some of the default equipment!

STERV became a slightly better bard! But he only got ONE skill point bonus. That is fuckin' terrible.

He can dig skills MARGINALLY better. And his rank changed! He is now a Minstrel!

MONMOON ALSO got a level, and is now a Psychic.

Forgot to check how many points he got. But I GUESS IT WAS NOT very many either. Oh well. Poor MONMOON.

Huh, that is new. It will require investigation! But not right now. Let's map whatever we can.

There is something there though.

After beating up those rats, TINKLEE also got a level. Hooray. Also she's killed 17 things with her bare hands right now. That is good.

Let's give her 5 critpoints. That is a good thing I guess.

TINYSAN also acquired a level! I like that both got more points than STERV.

Same to him.

And that'ss all we can map since that door to the left is jammed, because I SAVED instead of rerolling once. TINKLEE failed at strength there. Oh well.

: "There is something here."
: "YES, I SEE IT TOO. "
: "Wondering what happens if I press that button..."
: "NO, don't! It might be a trap!"

: "That went better than I expected."

Button!

That doesn't bode well.

But here is something!

A key!

I should use the "ground" brush more often. It is faster than drawing all the walls one by one. Eh.

Special and can be used by anyone.

Jammed this bullshit! Damnit.

Monks cannot use them! BUt bards can, so now STERV gets something slightly less tattered.

Yup. That.
That is a good thing! Slightly lower AC! In this game, lower AC is better.

Also this is what happens when you get a game over. With any luck, we won't see this too often. It was not due to battle in this time. It was acquired in purpose. But we'll see that later.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Service hours? What is this, some kind of mall, or a dungeon-themed horror theme park?

That game over picture is hella sad though. :smith:
Though you forgot to transcribe the text.

: "SURE, I GOT THE COSMIC FORGE, BUT I LOST ALL OF MY FRIENDS IN THE PROCESS. THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO TO TURN THINGS AROUND, I MEAN, I'D GLADLY GIVE BACK THE COSMIC FORGE IF I COULD GET THEM BACK, BUT ALL I CAN DO IS PRAY THAT THEY REST IN PEACE.

GOODBYE, MY FRIENDS. I'LL MISS YOU... A LOT."

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Don't you give us that crap DeathPope, you're the Pope... of Death! You've gotta have like a million ultra-religious magical mega fun points from that and you're telling us you can't go around resurrecting a half dozen people? :argh:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

NewMars posted:

Don't you give us that crap DeathPope, you're the Pope... of Death! You've gotta have like a million ultra-religious magical mega fun points from that and you're telling us you can't go around resurrecting a half dozen people? :argh:

Nah, see, he's newly ordained, despite not having passed DETHPOPE REZ 101. It's a political appointment, we're kinda hoping he'll grow into it.

EDIT: Aaaaand a GIS of "DETHPOPE" mostly gives me pictures of Pope Benedict XVI, for some reason.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 10, 2014

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Next update will use the sci fi mapping theme. What should be used after that one?

TwistedSynapse
Dec 31, 2012

Voted Most Purple Wizard
2007, 2009, 2011, and 2014
Why, the SciFi theme of course!

Always the SciFi theme! :unsmigghh:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This LP is going to take a while, but drat to I like the look of that mapping software. :allears:

Go black-on-white for the update after next, it'll be DETPOPE's way of handling mapping duties.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 06

Very well, let's go up. Through this silly tower. Sci Fi theme works now. Once again, thanks, Hidden Asbestos!

: "Whose footsteps are these?"
: "It was no footstep, it was a bump."
: "We better follow it, then."

: "Those WERE footsteps, I am sure of it! "

: "I think this is the top. of this tower."

: "Stop picking them up, STERV!"
: "But it would be a waste to just leave them on the floor."

Gasp!

Ah, a door!

: "IT SEEMS WE ARE NOT ALONE IN THIS CASTLE. "
: "We already knew that. Well, if those bushwhackers count as "Someone"."

Not the friendliest person, eh?

And right now, we cannot. We do not have a response to the person.

The tower flares up and leads to the outside.

So there is more than just this castle here, eh?

: "Ah, fresh air. Good way to clear one's head after the stale air and moldy interiors."
: "FRESH AIR IS NOT GOING TO MAKE FINDING THE COSMIC FORGE ANY EASIER. GET BACK INSIDE."

I messed up this map here. Eh.

So let's go back inside.

And let's go through here.

Well that was uneventful.

Let's climb the other tower.

So far it is pretty much thes same thing, but with less bumps and less footsteps.

And on the third floor, it is identical. Again, in the other one, I hosed up the mapping.

: "I think there is something or someone watching us."

: "AGH! Flying rats!"

Two vampire bats and a regular one. Oh joy.

MONMOON can help Sterv with the "disable the enemy through sleep" thing, now affording to cast it a bunch of times.

3 on level 1, 6 points on level 2. Let's go with the level 2 one.

Tinysan seems to be getting better at things, but Snake is perilously close to dying.

It all goes well and they drop a bunch of XP.

SNAKE levels up! And is now a Genin.

We want people that can detect traps AND open doors. Yeah. Hiding is all well and good but we also need goddamn utility!

DETPOPE also got a level and ONE MEASLY SKILL POINT. Damnit that is not a good levelup.

But since it is a shame that he can't read or write, let's give him one there.

He also gets a spell, but we are not wasting it on Direction. No sir.
Armor of Earth.

Because if we use this, he gets Direction in his spellbook. If used in the field directly, it is a single cast of it. We don't want that.

: "YES. MY GRIMOIRE GROWS."
: "Did he... Suddenly become literate? Well that is new."
: "SILENCE. I SAID IT WOULD COME BACK TO ME EVENTUALLY. SOONER RATHER THAN LATER IT DID."

And now with the direction spell, we have a magical compass.

: "WHAT KIND OF ADVENTURING GROUP STARTS A JOURNEY WITHOUT A COMPASS? A DOOMED ONE. NOW WE HAVE NO NEED OF ONE, BUT IT WAS A TERRIBLE OVERSIGHT."

: "The mountains don't give back what they take..."

Is there anything behind that closed door?

Oooh, goody!

And pf cpirse, being armor, it cannot be used by faeries. Fighters, thieves, bards, valkyries, lords and Samurai can use it.

So TINYSAN is now slightly better protected than he was with the robes.

Next: The other two towers, I guess.

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 11, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I forgot fairies can't wear any armor. That's... problematic.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

crowfeathers posted:

Yeah, it's not really a problem though since TinkLee is a monk and doesn't need armor.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

crowfeathers posted:

Monks can't, either, happily.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Who needs armor when you are a tiny powerhouse that dodges everything and kicks down doors?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Ya know, I almost want to play this, but I just can't get past the "do your own mapping" thing. It would just drive me up the wall. I might just need a pre-filled out map. Maybe add my own points of interest as I went, or something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

azren posted:

Ya know, I almost want to play this, but I just can't get past the "do your own mapping" thing. It would just drive me up the wall. I might just need a pre-filled out map. Maybe add my own points of interest as I went, or something.

For what it's worth, Wizardry 7 plays almost identically to 6 and does have a feature like this. Early in the game you can pick up an in-game map kit that automatically maps as you go. The trick, though, is that the level of detail is dependent on the Mapping skill of the character holding the map kit. With few to no points in it, the map kit won't even show walls.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Cythereal posted:

For what it's worth, Wizardry 7 plays almost identically to 6 and does have a feature like this. Early in the game you can pick up an in-game map kit that automatically maps as you go. The trick, though, is that the level of detail is dependent on the Mapping skill of the character holding the map kit. With few to no points in it, the map kit won't even show walls.

This decided it for me. We need a Swords and Serpents LP.

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

"Typhoid, rattlers, and now drownin' in rivers? I think we need ourselves a new leader, or we're goin' the way o' the Donner Party."

Cythereal posted:

There's another limitation even with max mapmaking skill: It can only show the immediate surrounding area (no "Full Map" view) so there's no way to get a full bead on where you are without mapping it yourself. Even the Win9x Wizardry Gold edition (which I blew $60 on back in the day) didn't have a Full Map feature, though it did feature full voice acting and in-game manual and cluebook access, so that was nice.

azren posted:

The GoG edition does have a pdf of the official cluebook which in fact has somewhat detailed, and complete, maps.

One thing an SSLP doesn't do justice to is the Game Over screen, because it also has the Grim Reaper emit a loving LOUD and cacophonous groan from your PC speakers that scared the poo poo out of me as a kid (and still startles me as an adult wearing headphones). I found a brief clip on YouTube but the volume is really toned down because of the LP'er voicing over the video, so linking it wouldn't really give you the true heart-pounding experience.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crazy Dastard posted:

The GoG edition does have a pdf of the official cluebook which in fact has somewhat detailed, and complete, maps.

The Steam version also has this fyi.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Blasphemaster posted:

This decided it for me. We need a Swords and Serpents LP.

Oh dear God, I hadn't thought about that game for years until I read this 30 seconds ago. That game bent me over and made me its bitch back in the 80's, and you are a bad person for even mentioning it.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

Oh dear God, I hadn't thought about that game for years until I read this 30 seconds ago. That game bent me over and made me its bitch back in the 80's, and you are a bad person for even mentioning it.

All day every day. :chord:

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

JustJeff88 posted:

You know that means you should show it right

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Luisfe posted:

You know that means you should show it right

Thief = Snake
Fighter = Sterv
Mage 1 = DeathPope
Mage 2 = Little Richard

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update tomorrow. Updating SJ today and addicted to The Secret World.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Crazy Dastard posted:

Hmmm... I might need to look into this.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Luisfe posted:

Update tomorrow. Updating SJ today and addicted to The Secret World.
Looking forward to it! This is showing that I'm totally awful at this game even when I thought I was sort of doing okay.

Also, in terms of the mapping - have you considered turning off the major grid lines and axis values, they just seem to be cluttering up your view at the moment?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I did not update yesterday because I really was binging on The Secret World. Got out of the worst area of the game, and got led into what is apparently one of the best (Transylvania).

After the first quest in there one gets to hang out with a depressed, alcoholic Cernunnos. That is pretty cool.

Also, what, there was a SNES version? I'll have to check that out.
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/939/

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 07

Let's go up. There may be good stuff there.

Well this is interesting. It is more than just a simple tower.
There are some open doorways and passages.

Also, closed doors. That is annoying.

But at least it is different!

More drat closed doors. Right no there is no way to open them. Hopefully that changes in the near future.

Nothing to do, so let's just go up.

: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH"

; "Who would have expected an old, abandoned castle to be in such a state of disrepair?"

Damnit. If they had been hurt from a previous encounter that would be problematic.
Well, maybe problematic, the party DOES have an item that can revive them up to seven times so that's a thing.

: "LET'S CAMP HERE. WE'VE ALREADY SUFFERED A SUPPORT FALLING ON US, SO IT IS PROBABLY SAFER HERE THAN ELSEWHERE. YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN SOMETHING NEW IS GOING TO FALL ON YOUR HEAD."
: "Yes because staying under a place where the support has collapsed is the safest course of action."
: "QUESTIONING MY COMMANDS IS NOT THE SAFEST COURSE OF ACTION, YOU KNOW."
: "He's just cranky because he is hurt, surely."

Goin' up.

Hm, I wonder if this is closed.

Nope, wide open. That is a good thing.

And hooray! Treasure!

The way disarming traps works is that by checking it, you get a bunch of letters that might be in the name of whatever trap is there. Of course, that is affected on how GOOD your dudes are in detecting traps, and they can be quite wrong, it seems! They are also not in order. Red and Green. Red is possibly wrong letters, green is "pretty sure it is in there", because gently caress colorblind people, that's why.
Actually not sure if those particular colors would be problematic for colorblind people, but I am going to assume that they are.

WELP. The letters seem to have been there!
POISON DAGGER
PO S AGG
while the J was nowhere to be seen. Too bad they did not properly disarm it.

And VERY LUCKY that STERV did not get poisoned. Only 1 damage. Eh. Could be worse.

Also, whatever trap is there it gets randomized with each reload. Fun.

The amount of keys also. HAD ONE roll with 3 keys, but it had killed MONMOON. Not good since wasting a charge of the amulet THAT way would be silly.

SNAKE gets the key holding duties. Because why not? He already has the key of the Ramm so eh

MONMOON can't use this poo poo. But he'll hold it for a while.

Let's waste the poison cure on STERV. Sure. Why not.

: "AGH, it tastes like day old hairball!"
: "I am not even going to ask HOW you know what that tastes like. I don't want to know."
: "Learned that when" : "SHUT UP. NO ONE WANTS TO KNOW."

Let's check the outer ring. There may be something interesting there.

Gutter vines!

Hm. That does sound ominous doesn't it?

Yeah, can't do poo poo here. Let's just go down.

This doesn't work. But THERE WAS a door that we could use it on.

This one. Let's go back to the ground floor.

It is jammed. TINKLEE could not knock it down. Which I found weird.

Iron Keys are consumable, so using this one makes it not work anymore I am gonna assume that the key just stays stuck in the keyhole.

And here is something. I did not realize that the Stamina war was SO important. It affects EVERYTHING you can do. The door got stuck because TINKLEE could not muster enough strength to surpass its resistance.

SNAKE and STERV cannot pick locks juuust yet

But after drinking from the fountain, TINKLEE can easily just open it.

: "I told you, it's all just a question of putting your back into it."

Yeah. Like this. With less stamina? It doesn't work. At all.

Hell yeah. Fairy monk hits well.

Well, that was a thing.

Goin' up.

Looks pretty much just like a mirror version of the northwestern tower.

Except it has something else!

Weird room!

: "Rats!"
: "Lots of them!"
: "And big ones! But size doesn't matter!"

STERV gets a level up right there.

He's the worst thief. His skulduggery is also low. TOo bad we did not get a good bunch of skill points. Could've probably just reloaded and hope for a better skill point roll, but that'll do. Eh.

He also gets a nice new spell.

Sure. That'll work for the moment.

MONMOON also became marginally more useful!

And this will let him recognize enemies slightly better.

And another useful spell! This one opens doors. Unlocks. Yes.

Huh, a new key type. Will this work in those greenish metal doors? Couldn't hurt to check!

We'll check that next time.

Pyrogenesis
Feb 19, 2013

Ah yes. Good old games. Screwing you over randomly without warning with some random event just because. "You were becoming complacent, weren't you", the developers did think.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Wait, did Sterv get poisoned or didn't he? And will he ever catch a break?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 16, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pyrogenesis posted:

Ah yes. Good old games. Screwing you over randomly without warning with some random event just because. "You were becoming complacent, weren't you", the developers did think.

Not shown: this is quite capable of killing characters. I do have to wonder how many reloads Luisfe isn't showing, considering that entry-level enemies can kill some characters in one hit if you get unlucky...

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wait, did Sterv get poisoned or didn't he? And will he ever catch a break?

He did. I thought he didn't when I checked that screenshot due to lack of skull IN THAT ONE. The next? Skull, meaning poison. So eh, my bad. Then he got cured by using the only anti-poison potion.

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Cythereal posted:

Not shown: this is quite capable of killing characters. I do have to wonder how many reloads Luisfe isn't showing, considering that entry-level enemies can kill some characters in one hit if you get unlucky...

Combat? No reloads SO FAR. I've been ridiculously lucky with combat right now. I've reloaded 30 times due to jamming doors (because in my previous attempt last year I actually had a thief that could open doors via lockpick, and did not realize Stamina was THAT important), and around 15 on the last chest because it either killed someone in one hit, or paralyzed half the party without a way to mitigate it. STERV getting poisoned was the least bad result.

• Locked thread