Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Someone showed him a picture of Mickey Mantle injecting himself with needles that come from a canvas sack that says " Soviet Khrushchev roids."

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bob Costas transforming into a demon in front of our eyes is amazing.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Bob Costas' gross face and everything being on tape delay are a good 1-2 punch to get me to skip the Olympics. He looks like a stoned child molester.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Why wouldn't they just replace him with Liam McHugh or somebody? I know the Olympics are his thing but drat, not like this.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

And late last night he tried to drink the pain away

http://deadspin.com/lets-watch-mary-carillo-and-bob-costas-drink-vodka-tog-1520423650

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm sure Bob wants to gut it out, and dude is basically the face of the Olympics for NBC but holy hell he looks rough, especially in HD.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

They just announced on Today that Matt Lauer is filling in tonight

It's that bad

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A commenter on deadspin just shared an amazing story about Bob.

quote:

This was taken at the Belmont at 2011. Costas was on the platform to give his 45 seconds on the mic before the race, and everyone at the starting gate was pretty drunk and yelling at him. Costas came over to greet the crowd, and a dude chucked this full Coors Light to him.

Costas very easily caught the bullet one-handed, opened it up and pounded about half of it to an adoring crowd. He finished his segment, picked up the beer and drank the rest.

Bob Costas kicks rear end.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

He's 61 years old

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

wait do I need to like bob costas now

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

My position has always been that he's pretty likeable as long as he's not giving his own opinion on things. It's a shame he's big enough that people want him to do that for some reason these days.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DJExile posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCS3dZG05gc

AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE BECAUSE BOB COSTAS SAID SO.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

He seems pretty likable when he's not on the TV

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCS3dZG05gc

AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE BECAUSE BOB COSTAS SAID SO.

You bring up Bob Costas and wrestling, you have to show this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexcFvsPetY

Oh, the last time someone other than Costas hosted nighttime Olympic coverage in America

Hello friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inF9t1IhNEs

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you show me footage of Nantz pounding tallboys I will melt.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'd always heard Bob was a cool dude off the mic so I don't know if he just plays up the pearl-clutching high-horse stuff for TV or what.

Jim Nantz, meanwhile, was found to be the anonymous tipster that tried to call out Tiger Woods for supposedly cheating some rule a year ago.
EDIT: It was at the 2013 Masters

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 11, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MourningView posted:

It...appears that way? :psyduck:

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Costas is a legend, even if his monologues do force the septuagenarians listening to clutch their pearls in fright.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MourningView posted:

As long as it's the episode of Space Ghost he's in.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Bob Costas is legitimately a cool guy, but he's still somewhat technologically backwards. Doesn't use email or anything digital, really. Cool guy though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
As long as we acknowledge that Musburger would have shotguned it or somehow produced a beer bong from under the desk.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Let the record also show that Al Michaels owns and doesn't even care about being subtle in his references to the point spread of games.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

DJExile posted:

Let the record also show that Al Michaels owns and doesn't even care about being subtle in his references to the point spread of games.

And that extends to curling

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014/february/video-al-michaels-places-a-curling-bet-with-rebecca-lowe.html

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
The more you actually examine most TV personalities, actors, and etc the more you realize that they are actually people, sometimes really cool people, and a lot of the problems you have with their work are the result of the dreaded Media Executive

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you're trying to talk me into liking Harold Reynolds it's not going to work.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
"most"

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

MourningView posted:

If you're trying to talk me into liking Harold Reynolds it's not going to work.

Making fun of Crion on national television wasn't sufficient?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

As long as we acknowledge that Musburger would have shotguned it or somehow produced a beer bong from under the desk.

Nah, Musburger wouldn't have caught a light beer, not with a bourbon in one hand and a mint julep in the other.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alright.

I respect Ice Skating. I think it requires a great deal of athletic ability, and can also be rather incredible.

That being said.

NBC. Could you please stop showing it every goddamned day?

I just want to watch some bobsledding or something.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah well Everyone's Mom disagrees and there are more of them than you.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

Alright.

I respect Ice Skating. I think it requires a great deal of athletic ability, and can also be rather incredible.

That being said.

Ice Skating is what people tune into the winter olympics for. Sorry, tough poo poo, better get used to seeing some ice skating.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

Alright.

That being said.

NBC's Olympic coverage is garbage and I hate it. Screw showing sports or anything, let's focus on these pointless human-interest stories. Oh, Americans aren't expected to do well in this event and you want to watch it? Tough poo poo, have some more awkward Bode Miller interviews. Literally the only sport you'll see everything in is ice skating. You're poo poo out of luck if your favorite winter olympic sport is bobsledding or ski jumping or biathlon or any non-ice skating sport. Better hope you can watch the events live (if you can find the links purposefully buried on their site) at 4 in the morning.

After every Olympics finishes I forget about it and get annoyed/disappointed again in two years. Their NFL coverage is pretty good other than having too many studio analysts. Why the hell can't they get Olympic coverage right?

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 19, 2014

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Ice skating is the NFC East.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I say a big reason is for the same reason we loathe promos for CBS shows during CBS NFL games. They try to appeal to a demographic that doesn't match ours.

And why do they have to try to go after that demographic? It's gotten to the point where NBC money is a huge source of IOC revenue:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/02/10/nbc-single-handedly-pays-for-a-fifth-of-all-olympic-games/

And how do you try to recoup that kind of spending? You go after as many people as you can.

I'll throw in that this style started when ABC, under Roone Arledge's watch, mainly had them in the 70's/80's. And when CBS had the Winter Olympics in the 90's they also did it the same way, so historically it's not just been an NBC thing.

Sure, ESPN can afford to show them live because they virtually print money. But I think the presentation would be even worse. And if you think NBC fluff is bad, look at ABC at any given moment.

e: Yes ice skating is the NFC East, and the women's program right now is Cowboys-Giants

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 19, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

It's all sliding around on ice anyways who cares

E: Also NBC totally shoots their wad on the Olympics and ends up doing the stupidest poo poo with it, ratings be damned

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The sooner Internet nerds come to terms with the fact that they're not NBC's target audience and will never be as long as the monster primetime ratings keep coming in, the better.

E: Also figure skating is cool :colbert:

Benne fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 20, 2014

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Why NBC Sports is not airing the Olympics 24/7 is beyond me. Live or tape delay, I don't care. I shouldn't turn there and see Shark Hunters or auto auctions marathons.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Benne posted:

The sooner Internet nerds come to terms with the fact that they're not NBC's target audience and will never be as long as the monster primetime ratings keep coming in, the better.

E: Also figure skating is cool :colbert:

It's not my cup of tea, but I respect the sport.

By the way, the most accurate joke I ever heard in "Rickey Bobby" re: Auto Racing was the line said by Bill Weber during the final scene:

"We'd like to thank you for joining us for NBC's coverage of NASCAR. Coming up next, it's Ice Dancing to the hits of Motown."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj2o7a-DpAo

I swear to god, that would happen every other week I watched a race growing up as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hockles posted:

Why NBC Sports is not airing the Olympics 24/7 is beyond me. Live or tape delay, I don't care. I shouldn't turn there and see Shark Hunters or auto auctions marathons.
Because NBC is the most poorly run network (slightly edging out ABC).