Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Maybe Larry English can take steroids and get that Merriman edge

Disillusionist posted:

So glad that Dallas ended up with Ware over Merriman (sorry for wasting your career though).

Random historical fact: Parcells wanted to draft Marcus Spears over Ware but Jerry overruled him. Thanks Jerry.

Parcells just has no loving clue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Maybe Larry English can take steroids and get that Merriman edge

A burn so nice you made it twice

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Intruder posted:

A burn so nice you made it twice

This awful app is just as advertised

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Parcells just has no loving clue

Football Tsar*

*Bomba that will destroy your franchis

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Parcells gets poo poo on way too much for his time with the Dolphins. He was never more than a solid personnel guy, his philosophies are outdated, and he was never going to stick around long enough for the team to be a contender in the best possible circumstances, but he's one of the best, if not the singular best guy in NFL history for turning around lovely teams.

The Dolphins were in such poo poo shape when he took over that a Cleveland Browns or Detroit Lions style stretch was a pretty plausible scenario. Turning that mess of poo poo into a perpetually average team isn't a rousing success, but it's pretty far from the worst case scenario, too. Even in retrospect I think you still hire Parcells, you just blow his hires out quicker when the team stalls out.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Parcells is still the best Cowboys coach since Johnson. Other than drafting Bobby Carpenter in the first (because he was friends with Bobby's dad) and the Ware thing he was a solid drafter too.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

I hate that man so much. San Diego had two all-pros that year and after two games against the Titans, neither was ever the same

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Parcells gets poo poo on way too much for his time with the Dolphins. He was never more than a solid personnel guy, his philosophies are outdated, and he was never going to stick around long enough for the team to be a contender in the best possible circumstances, but he's one of the best, if not the singular best guy in NFL history for turning around lovely teams.

The Dolphins were in such poo poo shape when he took over that a Cleveland Browns or Detroit Lions style stretch was a pretty plausible scenario. Turning that mess of poo poo into a perpetually average team isn't a rousing success, but it's pretty far from the worst case scenario, too. Even in retrospect I think you still hire Parcells, you just blow his hires out quicker when the team stalls out.

I'm really struggling to give Parcells too much credit for 1) Having Chad Pennington fall into his lap 2) having Lee bring in the wildcat that happened to work using players that he inherited.

Minus Anthony Fasano and Jake Long, I guess. Parcells alone wanted Pat loving White. He admitted as such. He is WAY too outdated, and refused to change.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

SpclKen posted:

The problem is teams are looking for dline that have the measurable a to become elite in day 3 but haven't put it together yet. Look at Greg Hardy. He was a 6th round draft choice but he had the frame and athleticism to produce if he could put together technique, bulk up and stay healthy. A guy like Sam's nock is his size to play that position, unless he can transition to an OLB he will have a tough time sticking around a long time as a 4-3 DE with his size limitations.

Greg Hardy absolutely would have been a first-round pick if his college injury history hadn't scared teams off, though, so he wasn't really a project guy.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Plus he stole another guy's nickname which is just lame as poo poo

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

RumbleFish posted:

Greg Hardy absolutely would have been a first-round pick if his college injury history hadn't scared teams off, though, so he wasn't really a project guy.

He was also badmouthed by his coaches because they said he wouldn't play through pain.

If he'd left a year earlier he'd probably have made it into the late first/high second.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

darkforce898 posted:

Here is the top 10 before playoffs

LeSean McCoy 366
Matt Forte 363
Marshawn Lynch 337
Jamaal Charles 329
Chris Johnson 321
Eddie Lacy 319
Ryan Mathews 311
Adrian Peterson 308
Knowshon Moreno 301
I remember the hysteria when Andy Reid got hired. :allears:

"Jamaal Charles won't get enough carries now"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Plus he stole another guy's nickname which is just lame as poo poo

You are literally the only person I've ever seen bring this up and you do it every time Greg Hardy is mentioned and I have never once heard Cam Wake referred to as the Kraken so please loving stop

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I would argue Marty Schottenheimer might be better but yea Parcells was insanely good at turning around poo poo heaps.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Alouicious posted:

You are literally the only person I've ever seen bring this up and you do it every time Greg Hardy is mentioned and I have never once heard Cam Wake referred to as the Kraken so please loving stop

Google Cameron Wake Kraken.

It's a thing.

But I don't use it because I don't like nicknames.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Alouicious posted:

It's entirely tongue in cheek you loving baby so lol

Edit : And just because you aren't aware of something or haven't heard of something doesn't really mean anything, sport. A simple google search would show you articles from 2011 where Wake is called kraken. It got brought up in a pre game thing before Miami played Carolina.

I'm pretty sure fiz and I talked about it back when it was new. I remember Carolina fans coming into a dolphins forum making pretty good jokes like "when Greg hardy's kraken farts it creates a Wake" and stuff like that. It's a fun little thing.

But again lol

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 12, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Greg Hardy was a late first prospect that dropped because his coaches threw him under the bus and he had a poor combine performance immediately afterwards.

I said this before in the NBA thread but it seems like you really should build teams out of super athletic guys with huge red flags.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

^^That's more or less how the late-era Don Nelson teams were built, and those were poo poo

I enjoy that the one time Bill Parcells broke with his dumb loving system we ended up with Pat White

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Doltos posted:

I said this before in the NBA thread but it seems like you really should build teams out of super athletic guys with huge red flags.

As Taibbi put it:

quote:

1. DRAFT THE WEED GUY

Every year, there are players who fall dramatically in the pre-draft process because they’ve been caught smoking weed. A short list of those guys includes Warren Sapp, Randy Moss, Percy Harvin and Aaron Hernandez. Guys who punch women or drive pickup trucks into old folks’ homes: bad investments. Guys who smoke dope in college? Well, that’s basically every single person in America.

I’m not going to say smoking weed is good for your health, but when it comes to football, I’d much rather have my rocked-up 270-pound monster stoned, giggling and watching cartoons than drunk, belligerent, and stumbling toward his car in the parking lot of an Atlanta strip club.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/taibblog/the-nfl-draft-decoded-part-ii-20120426#ixzz2t801fazG

Of course, the Hernandez note looks bad in retrospect.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

Justin Houston was a weed related fall in the draft and owns. I can get behind this philosophy.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

It's terrible to say but the wife beaters also tend to be really great players. I mean look at Lance Stephenson on the Pacers right now. Jason Kidd as well. Then we can go into baseball's wife beaters...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

It's terrible to say but the wife beaters also tend to be really great players. I mean look at Lance Stephenson on the Pacers right now. Jason Kidd as well. Then we can go into baseball's wife beaters...

No. Just stop right now.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Noted weed guy Jimmy Smith seems to have turned the corner this year. Also helped win the Superbowl, which is nice.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chichevache posted:

No. Just stop right now.

Brett Meyers... Kirby Puckett once tried to strangle his wife with an electrical cord... Jose Canseco of course...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Brett Myers isn't that good, nor was Julio Lugo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Doltos posted:

Lance Stephenson is overrated but it was also his girlfriend that he pushed down the stairs so we'll split the difference there.

Also I probably would've led off with Larry Fitzgerald here

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I didn't know Larry Fitz hit his wife. I thought he was supposed to be the model of class or something like that.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I bet this conversation has been had by scouts for real

That and rear end size

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Can we go with general abuse instead of beating because if thats the case you can throw in at lest one DPOY

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

ZenVulgarity posted:

I bet this conversation has been had by scouts for real

I bet it hasn't because it is retarded

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Doltos posted:

I didn't know Larry Fitz hit his wife. I thought he was supposed to be the model of class or something like that.

Technically they weren't married and the Arizona press did everything they could to bury it and never speak about it again because he's such a nice guy

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Goetta posted:

Scout chat is probably like 80% talking about hip placement and the three cone drill.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Goetta posted:

I bet it has because you kind of have to talk about a guys body to properly evaluate him. There's also a specific part of the combine weigh in where there's a fleet of scouts writing down everything they can think of when a prospect goes up on stage in his underwear.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Goetta posted:

Exactly!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Oh wait you're asking if scouts legitimately talk about if smoking weed or beating your wife makes you a better player?

Of course, in a bar, after work, where no one is listening.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
No, I'm going to guess that scouts don't secretly talk about how beating up women makes you good at football

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Goetta posted:

No, I'm going to guess that scouts don't secretly talk about how beating up women makes you good at football

They just phrase it as

Pros:
Aggression that can be translated onto the field.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Goetta posted:

Not everyone is as hung up on being 100% PC as internet forums are ~~~

Not saying that beating your wife is ok or if it makes you a good football player. That's obviously tongue in cheek. I'm just saying the average guy jokes about things that are TOTALLY ABHORRENT all the time. You and your friends might not, but there are plenty of people out there that do.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

In a profession where prospects are asked if their mothers are prostitutes, the line is obviously pretty hazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Doltos posted:

Not everyone is as hung up on being 100% PC as internet forums are ~~~

Not saying that beating your wife is ok or if it makes you a good football player. That's obviously tongue in cheek. I'm just saying the average guy jokes about things that are TOTALLY ABHORRENT all the time. You and your friends might not, but there are plenty of people out there that do.

Noooooo Doltos, nooooooooooo, don't go down this path again.

• Locked thread