Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Quick question from adwd: in melisandres pov chapter it says she sleeps in her chair and her bed has gone unused since stannis's departure. Are there previous mentions to her and stannis getting down other than the shadow baby? Does that change stannis's appearance as a solely duty driven character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
So how was Joffrey poisoned? Margaery was drinking out of the same cup until almost the moment he died. Was it the wine?

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Maybe she'd spent the last few months building up a tolerance to the poison.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Progress!

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Microsoft word? Yeah right.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm surprised GRRM even writes on a WordStar. He strikes me as the type to fetishize Hemmingway hard enough to have a corporate account with Moleskine.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Each chapter is written by quill and tied to a ravens leg to be delivered to his editor

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Saeka posted:

Progress!

I'm pretty sure the real Gurm would have fit a nuncle or neep in that, I'm doubting of its validity.

Gurm probably writes in the excrement of barely legal females.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Quick question from adwd: in melisandres pov chapter it says she sleeps in her chair and her bed has gone unused since stannis's departure. Are there previous mentions to her and stannis getting down other than the shadow baby? Does that change stannis's appearance as a solely duty driven character?

I don't think he's losing his "duty driven" character. He knows Melisandre has mystical powers and fiercely beliefs in them. If he is loving her he's doing it to keep her satisfied/happy "for the greater good", aka. him getting his righteous place on the Iron Throne. He believes he needs Melisandre for that to happen, and is willing to go deep..

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Saeka posted:

Progress!

That doesn't look like an 80s word processor attached to a 10" screen above another attached keyboard covered in pizza grease so old it remembers Ronald Reagan's re-election.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Who will finish this series of books when GRRM inevitably dies of a heart attack before finishing?

Sanderson?
Tad Williams?
Patrick Rothfuss?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Dutchfool posted:

I don't think he's losing his "duty driven" character. He knows Melisandre has mystical powers and fiercely beliefs in them. If he is loving her he's doing it to keep her satisfied/happy "for the greater good", aka. him getting his righteous place on the Iron Throne. He believes he needs Melisandre for that to happen, and is willing to go deep..

I get the impression that she used him once, and now he's useless. The shadow baby exhausted his kingly magic power so she doesn't want to bone him any more.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

redreader posted:

I get the impression that she used him once, and now he's useless. The shadow baby exhausted his kingly magic power so she doesn't want to bone him any more.

At some point in a chapter she mentions that making another shadow baby will kill him. I'm guessing you get two and that is it. Third time isn't a charm. So knocking her up a third time means Stannis will die and she wouldn't want that. No one wants that. NO ONE.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

redreader posted:

Twice.Two shadow babies.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Cortnay_Penrose

But they kept boning for non-magical reasons. I mean as much as boning a hundred year old corpse is non-magical.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

redreader posted:

That's what made me ask. I thought they got down to make the shadow baby, but that line I quoted made it sound like they were doing it on the regular.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Using a shadow baby for penrose seems like kind of a waste when it could have been Tywin or Cersei or something. I guess they thought they were gonna get a few more vials of that precious kingsblood from that orphan but still.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

WastedJoker posted:

Who will finish this series of books when GRRM inevitably dies of a heart attack before finishing?

Sanderson?
Tad Williams?
Patrick Rothfuss?

HBO

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
TB Thread will simply become indistinguishable from the original

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

WastedJoker posted:

Sanderson?
Tad Williams?
Patrick Rothfuss?

The team of authors behind Wild Cards.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

TWOW by Piers Anthony. Winter turns out to be a talking flatulent horse.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

whowhatwhere posted:

The team of authors behind Wild Cards.

I always assumed that the "Team" was just a pen name for Gurm.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Winds of Winter, by Matthew Woodring Stover, wherein Bran becomes a demigod and mulls of the absurdity of linguistic drift, Jaime leaves behind the longsword in favour of punching daggers, and Sam becomes unstuck in time after making a pact with R'hllor and appears in his own past to plant the seeds of his own future victories in 5-year-old Sam Tarly's mind.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Spoilers, douchebutt. kidding, I'm never gonna read your pet books

And man the past few pages show how much they hosed up the TV intrigue when the book intrigue has so much speculatoin.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Does "Who's going to finish the books when Gurm dies/is incarcerated and disallowed contact with the outside world?" really count as book speculation?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm surprised GRRM even writes on a WordStar. He strikes me as the type to fetishize Hemmingway hard enough to have a corporate account with Moleskine.

He now writes with feces on the bathroom mirror, and snaps them to his editor.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You're still assuming GRRM has some level of 21st Century technology proficiency. He's got a collection of dusty old Polaroid boxes he uses for his feces/mirror snapping duties.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ASOIAF is written in signal fires.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Poop log fires.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
A Fire Of Feces.

AGOT: A Glow Of Turds
ACOK: A Combustion Of Kaka
ASOS: A Searing Of poo poo
AFFC: A Fire From Crap
ADWD: Aflame Dung With Diarrhea

Sally fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 12, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

ADoS: Anal Douching of Sex.

gently caress it, I got nothin'

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Anders posted:

He now writes with feces on the bathroom mirror, and snaps them to his editor.

Maybe that's the delay. He needs to refill his "quill" in the "inkwell". In the Song of rear end and Fire, willy sepsis is an occupational hazard.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

A Feast for Coprophiles

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

redreader posted:

So how was Joffrey poisoned? Margaery was drinking out of the same cup until almost the moment he died. Was it the wine?

Margaery is a Steel-type, they are immune to poison.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Margaery fucks Thor in that Ron Howard movie about F1 Racing and facial skin grafts

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'd have actually watched that movie if it was about F1 racers giving facial skin grafts during a race.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Margaery fucks Thor in that Ron Howard movie about F1 Racing and facial skin grafts

Here I thought this was some sort of obfuscated reference. I guess not.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

mind the walrus posted:

I'd have actually watched that movie if it was about F1 racers giving facial skin grafts during a race.

You should watch it anyway, because it will go down in history as the Amadeus of the 2010s and also features the biggest Oscar snub of the year in Daniel Bruhl.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Hey Song book nerds, I'm trying to remember a part from the series and I need some help. Is there a banner that's a dragon chasing its own tail? I thought there was a story about dragons trying to attack people, but they hid and drove the dragons mad, hence the banner. I can't figure out who or where though.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Could I still volunteer to do a book chapter for kinks? I need some writing excuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Baldbeard posted:

Hey Song book nerds, I'm trying to remember a part from the series and I need some help. Is there a banner that's a dragon chasing its own tail? I thought there was a story about dragons trying to attack people, but they hid and drove the dragons mad, hence the banner. I can't figure out who or where though.

The only dragon I can remember chasing tail were Viserys creeping on his sister.