Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Polo-Rican posted:

Should have also mentioned that I'm a new t-mobile customer, trying to switch over from Verizon, so I don't have an account yet.

Ah, I thought you were just transferring SIMs and not starting from scratch. You do get it started online, but still have access to retail service for SIM changes etc in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

surc posted:

I think I remember reading that they throttle you on the unlimited once you reach 10TB of data. So, uh, don't back up your hard drive to your phone over their network a bunch, and you should be fine.

I use google play music and netflix all the time, and have never had throttling issues.

Thanks guys, I just switched to an unlimited plan last night and it feels great being able to use my smartphone how I want without having to worry about paying fines or being throttled.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I just received my first T-Mobile bill. So.... it's for the full month of February, and partial January. I was charged the entire month for Jump, and partial Jan for Jump, but I don't have a charge for my phone at all. Why would that be? Not that it's a bad thing, but I don't want to be finding out down the road that I'll get backcharged or something.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 11, 2014

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Astro7x posted:

I just received my first T-Mobile bill. So.... it's for the full month of February, and partial January. I was charged the entire month for Jump, and partial Jan for Jump, but I don't have a charge for my phone at all. Why would that be? Not that it's a bad thing, but I don't want to be finding out down the road that I'll get backcharged or something.

I recently switched to T-Mobile as well. Some dude called me to ask me how everything was working out so far. In our conversation he mentioned that the 25 dollar fee for the Iphone 5S wouldn't show up on my bill until the second month. I have no idea why it's delayed a month but that's the way they told me it worked.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
The downpayment counts as the first payment, even if you qualify for $0 down and paid nothing.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Hekk posted:

I recently switched to T-Mobile as well. Some dude called me to ask me how everything was working out so far. In our conversation he mentioned that the 25 dollar fee for the Iphone 5S wouldn't show up on my bill until the second month. I have no idea why it's delayed a month but that's the way they told me it worked.

That's good to know. I guess it's $25 less to pay when we upgrade to the iPhone 6 whenever it comes out.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Yeah it always takes 2 bill cycles for the phone payments to get applied. Just how the billing works. Works well with Jump however because if you jump at 6 months you have most likely only paid 4 payments on your phone.

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009
So I'm thinking of changing from AT&T to T-Mobile but my wife and I still have a year left on our contracts at AT&T. I'm trying to make sure I understand T-Mobile's buyout program. They will give you a certain amount of money based off of the device you turn in to them which you can then use to pay off your existing ETF? Wouldn't it make more sense/be quicker to just sell the phones we have on my own and use that money to pay off the ETF?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

BIFF! posted:

So I'm thinking of changing from AT&T to T-Mobile but my wife and I still have a year left on our contracts at AT&T. I'm trying to make sure I understand T-Mobile's buyout program. They will give you a certain amount of money based off of the device you turn in to them which you can then use to pay off your existing ETF? Wouldn't it make more sense/be quicker to just sell the phones we have on my own and use that money to pay off the ETF?

They give you money for the phones to use towards the purchase of new phones, and they give you a separate amount for the ETF once you get the final bill from AT&T.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

BIFF! posted:

T-Mobile will give you a pre paid Mastercard worth the amount that it cost you in ETFs to switch to T-Mobile. Keep in mind that they advertise 8 week turnover time. However, they have 8 weeks from when your submission is accepted. I submitted my paperwork on January 29th and it has yet to be accepted.

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009
Oh wow I missed that they give you 2 separate credits. That makes a lot more sense!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
So one final question. Currently, I have two numbers on one Verizon family plan - both numbers are under my name. I have two Moto X and am all ready to activate them. But I'm not sure the best way to make sure I can port both numbers over successfully since you can only do one phone at a time on t-mobile's online activation site.

Basically, I'm worried that if I do one number at a time, Verizon will lock the second number as soon as I request a port for the first. These are the two options I see:

- set up both Moto X's as quickly as possible and hope that both numbers port fine
- give both Moto X's new numbers, and then call t-mobile and ask them to port my verizon numbers over (not sure if this is even possible, the only place I see any info about porting is during device activation)

Anyone dealt with this and have any advice? This is basically impossible to google.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Polo-Rican posted:

So one final question. Currently, I have two numbers on one Verizon family plan - both numbers are under my name. I have two Moto X and am all ready to activate them. But I'm not sure the best way to make sure I can port both numbers over successfully since you can only do one phone at a time on t-mobile's online activation site.

Basically, I'm worried that if I do one number at a time, Verizon will lock the second number as soon as I request a port for the first. These are the two options I see:

- set up both Moto X's as quickly as possible and hope that both numbers port fine
- give both Moto X's new numbers, and then call t-mobile and ask them to port my verizon numbers over (not sure if this is even possible, the only place I see any info about porting is during device activation)

Anyone dealt with this and have any advice? This is basically impossible to google.

You can port a number at any time. You can easily set up your devices with new numbers and then call T-mobile and say "port a number" into the voice prompt. You'll get someone on the line who has can initiate the ports from there. They can usually tell you immediately whether a port will be successful.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Naffer posted:

You can port a number at any time. You can easily set up your devices with new numbers and then call T-mobile and say "port a number" into the voice prompt. You'll get someone on the line who has can initiate the ports from there. They can usually tell you immediately whether a port will be successful.

Thanks. I suspected this, but like I said, for some reason this stuff is impossible to Google, because all you find are ignorant assholes (like myself) asking dumb questions (like myself).

edit:
I did it. Holy Crap is contacting a human difficult. No matter what combination of saying "Port A Number" and button prompts I would enter, I simply couldn't reach a representative. I was only able to get a person by Googling and finding this page: http://gethuman.com/phone-number/T-Mobile-Porting-Department/

Everyone I've talked to has been hella goofy. When I first called, I explained to the woman that I wanted to port two verizon numbers over to two t-mobile phones. She says "OK," and we go through the motions. The nanosecond I finish telling her the details for the first phone, bam, the call is disconnected. I immediately get a text saying that my number has been ported. She ported the number while I was talking to her, when we were only half finished!! I called again, got a different woman, and at this point I didn't even know if I was calling from my temporary t-mobile number or my ported number. What a pain!!

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 18, 2014

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
Is TMobile ever going to improve their rural area service? Also, are they ever going to ditch 2G and upgrade to at least 3G? I live and work just outside San Diego, and service is terrible. Even along interstate 8 I often have no service at all, 3G is intermittent, 2G often overpowers the 3G signal, and I have to go pretty close to SD itself to get 4G...there are plenty of high population outlying cities that don't get 4G.

I can't decide if I want to stay with my nice cheap unlimited data plan or go back to ATT. You know your network and coverage is terrible when you make people contemplate going BACK to ATT. If I knew TMobile was working on improving their network I'd stick it out, but if they're happy to ignore everying outside of major city limits I'll probably have to leave.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I had the Value/Traditional plan and switched over to the Simple Choice plan for roughly $10 more a month, mainly because of the unlimited calling and free international coverage of data/text. The free coverage is limited to 2G speeds, T-Mobile says around 128kbps. Looking to get some reviews on this, what has been your experience with using international roaming? When travelling internationally I expect to be using a lot of Google Maps, but not much web browsing.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Watommi posted:

Is TMobile ever going to improve their rural area service? Also, are they ever going to ditch 2G and upgrade to at least 3G? I live and work just outside San Diego, and service is terrible. Even along interstate 8 I often have no service at all, 3G is intermittent, 2G often overpowers the 3G signal, and I have to go pretty close to SD itself to get 4G...there are plenty of high population outlying cities that don't get 4G.

I can't decide if I want to stay with my nice cheap unlimited data plan or go back to ATT. You know your network and coverage is terrible when you make people contemplate going BACK to ATT. If I knew TMobile was working on improving their network I'd stick it out, but if they're happy to ignore everying outside of major city limits I'll probably have to leave.

Yeah, that was the point of their recent 700MHz spectrum purchase from Verizon. Low frequencies cover more area and penetrate buildings better, while using fewer towers. They expect to begin 700MHz coverage rollout late this year.

The little I've read about it said they intend to use it for LTE coverage. I've seen they plan to participate in the upcoming 600MHz spectrum auction, doubt they'll get it but it's evidence they're further interested in increasing coverage.

e: the article,the presentation
e2: The page 14 map looks almost like they deliberately excluded San Diego. Page 24 makes it clear that area is staying under control of its current company. Hahaha.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 19, 2014

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
The appendix of that presentation says that the San Diego area isn't even owned by TMobile...so that means that area is excluded from future TMobile upgrades? Obviously I don't understand how cell networks work, but shouldn't it be made clear that when I sign up for service with a company that claims all kinds of future upgrades and services that my area, despite being one of the top 10 markets in the country, is excluded? I saw TMobile's ads, read several articles about how TMobile was upgrading the crap out of their network and buying new spectrums, etc, so I bought TMobile service. Only it turns out I actually bought service with Columbia so I don't get all those future upgrades?

That combined with their coverage maps being dead wrong (said where I live was solidly covered by 2g, where I work was "good" to "very strong" with at least 3g, but I have terrible service either place) means TMobile just won't work for me. Sorry to complain so loudly, but man I hated ATT, I was really hoping this would work out.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Watommi posted:

The appendix of that presentation says that the San Diego area isn't even owned by TMobile...so that means that area is excluded from future TMobile upgrades? Obviously I don't understand how cell networks work, but shouldn't it be made clear that when I sign up for service with a company that claims all kinds of future upgrades and services that my area, despite being one of the top 10 markets in the country, is excluded? I saw TMobile's ads, read several articles about how TMobile was upgrading the crap out of their network and buying new spectrums, etc, so I bought TMobile service. Only it turns out I actually bought service with Columbia so I don't get all those future upgrades?

That combined with their coverage maps being dead wrong (said where I live was solidly covered by 2g, where I work was "good" to "very strong" with at least 3g, but I have terrible service either place) means TMobile just won't work for me. Sorry to complain so loudly, but man I hated ATT, I was really hoping this would work out.

Far as I can tell, it doesn't mean the San Diego area is forever excluded, just that the 700MHz spectrum there won't be available to T-Mobile for the near future. There's nothing stopping them from building extra towers using their current frequencies, just looks like that particular path to better service isn't happening soon. I'm not an industry expert, it's just a curiosity.

You can try AIO, it's like Straight Talk without the bullshit. Owned by AT&T but no contracts, reasonable prices and a $5 discount for auto-pay. Check the prepaid thread for chat, plenty of people have signed up.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
So hey, if anyone has an old BlackBerry lying around and wants a big discount on an upgrade, this is happening ($200 trade-in on an old working BlackBerry, or $250 if it's getting traded in for a BB10 phone)

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I tried out T-Mobile (one line, $70 plan) for exactly 5 days. Canceled under "buyers remorse."

Today, I received a bill for $87.

Huh? Did the 3rd party store guy actually not cancel it or something? The bill says "we are sorry to see you canceled our service" or something, so did the dude let it run a full month before canceling it so he could get a new line commission or something?

Heading to that store tomorrow to figure this out. 5 days of service could not possibly be $87.

Edit: the bill says this is past due and they will send to collections. Gee, thanks. First I've seen any bill from you guys.

Called up and the bill was actually $27 and change. Whatever, paid it, off my to-do list.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 21, 2014

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I am am currently with AT&T and surprisingly love the service. However, the free international roaming that T-Mobile offers is extremely attractive.... Does anyone have any experience with it, particularly in Japan?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I'm posting here because I'm seriously at my wits end.

I initiated a port from TMo prepaid to TMo postpaid 9 days ago. It is still not complete.

7 calls to customer service have led to no resolution.

Tweets and chat with @TMobileHelp have done nothing, and @JohnLegere doesn't respond.

Basically, the porting folks are writing trouble tickets that the techs either don't see, or don't care about fixing.

Is anyone here a bad enough dude at TMo to help me out?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

bobfather posted:

The OP (Burden) says he manages a store in California. Try a PM?

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
My tmobile bill is 70$, which is amazing compared to my previous verizon bill. If I drop jump it'll be 60$. What the gently caress is jump and why do I need it? I have a Nexus 5, and probably will never need to upgrade. I'll only buy another phone when I lose this one, or it dies. Will I need jump in this case? What is it even for?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I think it allows two phone upgrades a year.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

bobfather posted:

I initiated a port from TMo prepaid to TMo postpaid 9 days ago. It is still not complete.

Tweets and chat with @TMobileHelp have done nothing, and @JohnLegere doesn't respond.

Basically, the porting folks are writing trouble tickets that the techs either don't see, or don't care about fixing.

E-mail john.legere@t-mobile.com. I did that to mention how happy I was to have switched from Sprint and a couple days later got a call from their "executive support team".

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

bobfather posted:

Send me a PM with the info, Ill try and look into it and see if I can get anything done.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Megaman posted:

My tmobile bill is 70$, which is amazing compared to my previous verizon bill. If I drop jump it'll be 60$. What the gently caress is jump and why do I need it? I have a Nexus 5, and probably will never need to upgrade. I'll only buy another phone when I lose this one, or it dies. Will I need jump in this case? What is it even for?

Jump lets you upgrade your phone twice year. You don't need it.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Updated the OP with the new JUMP! program info. Basically instead of twice a year you have to pay off half of your device before you can jump to a new device.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

Watommi posted:

I recommend switching to a better service provider for your region. T-mobile should still be here in 2 years and you can re-evaluate at that time. Sprint's service should also improve quite a bit within that same time frame.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

So I switched to T-Mobile ~ 2 months ago, and just moved at the beginning of this month to a new apartment. I have LTE oustide, but inside my apartment, I have no service anywhere other than a window.

I picked up T-Mobile because I liked the companies policies, and I knew that they offered wi-fi calling...until I realized the iphone doesnt have this feature.

My question is, using jump, can I trade in my iphone to get a wifi capable device (such as the OneX) without putting any real money down? To people who work for T-Mobile, is there any wiggle room on what I can do for my situation since I moved? I want to keep T-Mobile, but I need service in my own home.

---

Also, If I bought a new phone, say a OneX on Ebay, does any model support wifi calling? Or do I have to get a T-Mobile branded phone?

Kanish fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 25, 2014

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Kanish posted:

So I switched to T-Mobile ~ 2 months ago, and just moved at the beginning of this month to a new apartment. I have LTE oustide, but inside my apartment, I have no service anywhere other than a window.

I picked up T-Mobile because I liked the companies policies, and I knew that they offered wi-fi calling...until I realized the iphone doesnt have this feature.

My question is, using jump, can I trade in my iphone to get a wifi capable device (such as the OneX) without putting any real money down? To people who work for T-Mobile, is there any wiggle room on what I can do for my situation since I moved? I want to keep T-Mobile, but I need service in my own home.

---

Also, If I bought a new phone, say a OneX on Ebay, does any model support wifi calling? Or do I have to get a T-Mobile branded phone?

Try emailing john.legere@t-mobile.com with your situation, and ask for a signal booster to stick in your window. They will often give them out for free.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Kanish posted:

---

Give customer service a call @ 18009378997 and explain your situation, they should be able to give you a signal booster for free.

Edit: wifi calling is only on tmobile android devices minus the nexus series and the current windows phones.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Megaman posted:

It also gives you phone insurance. Considering most of carriers charge around $10 per month for phone insurance alone it's not a horrid deal.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Does T-Mobile give lower priority to their prepaid customers over their postpaid? I've noticed some texts coming through significantly later then they've been sent - hours.

If not, are there any benefits to going to postpaid over prepaid?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

Does T-Mobile give lower priority to their prepaid customers over their postpaid? I've noticed some texts coming through significantly later then they've been sent - hours.

If not, are there any benefits to going to postpaid over prepaid?

Only real benefit is if you have multiple lines, need to roam and/or want to break a phone up into payments.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Alright.

I'd be bringing a phone, and it looks like my discount on service (15%) would just about cancel out taxes, so there would really be zero difference in terms of cost vs. prepaid.

I guess I could port my GV number back over and finally cut myself down to one phone number again, since I'll be postpaid and hopefully not have to worry about my number disappearing if I miss a prepaid refill by a day.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Burden posted:

Only real benefit is if you have multiple lines, need to roam and/or want to break a phone up into payments.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get my employer discount on a prepaid line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loner-Assassin
Mar 18, 2008

The Fragrance of Dark Coffee
Ok guys, random question. I'm currently on the T-Mo prepaid $30 plan, but I'm headed to Europe in April and would like to do the unlimited text/data that comes with postpaid. Can I just call them, switch to postpaid for a month for that feature, then go back to prepaid when I get back to the US? (Since there's no contracts) My phone is a Google Play Nexus 5 and I have a prepaid sim inside atm.