Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

One Legged Cat posted:

That's for the second and third playthroughs!

My second playthrough will be 6 Godlikes. Throw away all the helmets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Alternatively, collect every helmet. Obsess over helmets. Get 100% helmet completion. Put a helmet on every shelf in your stronghold. You're literally a helmet cult. Go to crazy lengths to get helmets.

Collecting all the helmets on an all godlike team should be an achievement. :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Scorchy posted:

My second playthrough will be 6 Godlikes. Throw away all the helmets.

No helmet means no fancy feathered hat. I don't think you know what you're saying. :colbert:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
How do death godlike see through their horns?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

fez_machine posted:

Where we're going, etc.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Interest in this game had me finally buy game of thrones on itunes so I can get in a proper fantasy mood over the next few months. I read some of the books years ago and hadn't really checked out the series till now for some weird reason..

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spacedad posted:

Interest in this game had me finally buy game of thrones on itunes so I can get in a proper fantasy mood over the next few months. I read some of the books years ago and hadn't really checked out the series till now for some weird reason..

Good luck with that. I've read the first three way back when and thought they were pretty fun. Not my favorites, by any means, but good, solid entries worth reading.

I'd recommend Malazan Book of the Fallen, over GoT, in terms of more interesting fantasy stuff, but it is a *bit* less linear in its story-telling approach, which some people dislike.

Maybe something like Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy would be more fitting for a low-ish fantasy similar to this game.

Heck, Steven Brust's Khaavren Romances, starting with the Phoenix Guards, are a fantastic homage to the Three Musketeers done brilliantly in a low/medium fantasy setting.

And, of course, you could always go for the Book of the New Sun, by Wolfe.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 12, 2014

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

fez_machine posted:

Does death's domain include fog of war?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What sort of resist/save/damage type happens for spells that don't directly zap/smash/burn, but are more abstract or mentally focused? Things like sleep, mind control, slow, paralysis, or straight up destroy their mind or rip their soul out?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Shadeoses posted:

What sort of resist/save/damage type happens for spells that don't directly zap/smash/burn, but are more abstract or mentally focused? Things like sleep, mind control, slow, paralysis, or straight up destroy their mind or rip their soul out?

For most of the effects you describe a character would roll a willpower save or the attacker would roll against a character's willpower defense depending on what system you're playing. If paralysis was the effect of a poison it'd be a fortitude save.

POE, like D&D, has three saves: Willpower for mind-affecting debilitations, fortitude for diseases and poisons and such, and reflex saves for getting out of the way of booby traps/explosions and other dangerous surprises.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Is it possible to deal damage without it being attached to one of the attack types, like a "Damage Hit Points" spell?

AngryBooch posted:

For most of the effects you describe a character would roll a willpower save or the attacker would roll against a character's willpower defense depending on what system you're playing. If paralysis was the effect of a poison it'd be a fortitude save.

POE, like D&D, has three saves: Willpower for mind-affecting debilitations, fortitude for diseases and poisons and such, and reflex saves for getting out of the way of booby traps/explosions and other dangerous surprises.

Willpower is called Psyche in PoE.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Man, I bet a Death Godlike Monk could deliver a serious headbutt.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What damage type would a monk tearing your heart out with his hands be?

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Shadeoses posted:

Emotional.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Shadeoses posted:

METAL :black101:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

SoggyBobcat posted:

Is it possible to deal damage without it being attached to one of the attack types, like a "Damage Hit Points" spell?

Willpower is called Psyche in PoE.
All attacks require an attack roll of some sort, but a very small number of them ignore armor (usually very low damage).

We used to call it Psyche but that got switched. We're back to Fort/Ref/Will.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plz-bhcHryc

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

rope kid posted:

Slash, pierce, crush, burn, freeze, corrode, and shock.

No magic, divine or negative energy damage types? Or rather, no "soul" damage type that bypasses DT altogether?

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
I've just realised a truly vital trait is "80s action hero - enables the use of 1-liners".

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

SurrealityCheck posted:

I've just realised a truly vital trait is "80s action hero - enables the use of 1-liners".

If that's a given trait at character creation, what would be the drawback?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

You will be poorly remade in 30 years.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If that's a given trait at character creation, what would be the drawback?

You have to take one of the following:

"Curious Accent"
"Too Old for This poo poo"
or
"Punched in the Face One Too Many Times"

If female you can take "Bonus Breast"

SurrealityCheck fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 12, 2014

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Still not sure how Too Old For This poo poo is a downside especially combined with oneliners.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I never wear helms in RPGs anyway so it's Godlike all the way

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Boing posted:

I never wear helms in RPGs anyway so it's Godlike all the way

I can only agree with this. Looks before function.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Tzarnal posted:

Still not sure how Too Old For This poo poo is a downside especially combined with oneliners.

Talking of that, it would be interesting if a character's nominal age actually played a bit into how characters responded to them - often games let you play around with your age, but nobody notices!

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

SurrealityCheck posted:

Talking of that, it would be interesting if a character's nominal age actually played a bit into how characters responded to them - often games let you play around with your age, but nobody notices!

Otoh you don't want to go Full Darklands and have age affect starting equipment or stats significantly

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Otoh you don't want to go Full Darklands and have age affect starting equipment or stats significantly

All attacks replaced with "Shake cane"

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Sure you do, as long as the game was designed with it in mind. A multi-generational epic could be amazing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Since there isn't a "carry more stuff" stat anymore and doing more damage is kind of based on context, aging penalties to stats and abilities would have to be either class based or randomly assigned, like the wizard forgets some of his at-will spells or has a cast time penalty because his eyes are bad and he can't find his bifocals to read the last line in the tome and he forgot how to say this word and...

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ars Magica has a built-in aging system and it is both complicated and enjoyable within the context of that game. The only PC character death so far has been my Danish knight. He rapidly aged and died while living in a faerie regio. His friends/former comrades at the covenant are now raising his daughter. Due to how the game's systems work, it's entirely possible that she will be a playable character within the span of the campaign.

E: It's also a very simulationist game in many ways and not really comparable to a D&D/PoE-style game, IMO.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 12, 2014

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

FRINGE posted:

Sure you do, as long as the game was designed with it in mind. A multi-generational epic could be amazing.

I might be misremembering but isn't that sort of the premise behind the Double Fine kickstarted game Massive Chalice?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Overminty posted:

I might be misremembering but isn't that sort of the premise behind the Double Fine kickstarted game Massive Chalice?

Yeah, but it's more of a gameplay mechanic than anything. Your best fighters have kids which inherit traits, but I think you have to put them out to pasture relatively early and lose them in battles for them to start families.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

That reminds me, what's the inventory system like? Tetris/deus ex style, weight-based (Bethesda), number of available slots (Planescape Torment), or a combination of the above?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Just single slots, no weight, no Tetris. Each character has a limited number of slots and the rest can be offloaded into a general party stash. You can only withdraw from the stash at camps/inns/stores.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

rope kid posted:

Just single slots, no weight, no Tetris. Each character has a limited number of slots and the rest can be offloaded into a general party stash. You can only withdraw from the stash at camps/inns/stores.
How high do items stack? Does it vary?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Variable stacking. "Big" things (weapons, etc.) can't be stacked at all, with potions and other small things allowing big stacks.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

rope kid posted:

So just so I understand completely: item management is limited to what items I want to keep available for the dungeon and send the rest to a bank account to be accessed at the next resting place?

I like it, saves so much on item management irritation.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

rope kid posted:

Variable stacking. "Big" things (weapons, etc.) can't be stacked at all, with potions and other small things allowing big stacks.
If stackable amounts vary among stackable items, that seems very similar to weighting.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

rope kid posted:

Ars Magica has a built-in aging system and it is both complicated and enjoyable within the context of that game. The only PC character death so far has been my Danish knight. He rapidly aged and died while living in a faerie regio. His friends/former comrades at the covenant are now raising his daughter. Due to how the game's systems work, it's entirely possible that she will be a playable character within the span of the campaign.

I will forever be upset that that Ars Magica kickstarter game didn't get funded. It's such a great setting.

• Locked thread