Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Vertical Lime posted:

The bandleader for Seth Meyers has been announced. And it's Fred Armisen

Cushy gig. I bet he'll be a welcome addition since Seth only has one note in his act (though he plays it very well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vertical Lime posted:

The bandleader for Seth Meyers has been announced. And it's Fred Armisen

Fred Armisen as Lawrence Welk, or Fred Armisen as Ian Rubbish?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Aphrodite posted:

Seth Meyers is probably going to be a trainwreck.

I honestly have no idea how Meyers is going to turn out. But let's not forget that we underestimated an SNL alumni in this position before.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Mister Kingdom posted:

gently caress him. He could have gone somewhere else and taken his crew with him like Dave did. He went out with a whimper.

At least Dave had something nice to say about him and even said "Good night, Jay" and the end of his show.
I know, I hate him and all, but I still felt for him. This sums up my feelings pretty well.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

DominoDancing posted:

I honestly have no idea how Meyers is going to turn out. But let's not forget that we underestimated an SNL alumni in this position before.
Yeah, but The Chevy Chase Show panned out exactly how we thought it would. ;)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I wasn't happy when Fallon got the Late Night gig, and I'm not too happy with Seth Meyers.

I guess what I'm really saying is I'm not a fan of the people Lorne Michaels has been grooming for the past decade. The same insular Lorne Michaels who for years didn't bother finding a black woman for SNL until bombarded with outside criticism.

Conan was a left-field, mostly unknown choice for Late Night who established himself outside of the SNL in addition to his SNL work. Fallon and Meyers still feel like products manufactured by a studio that we're supposed to like but don't remember why. They're the late night versions of Ryan Reynolds or Chris Pine.

Sorry this came out too mean.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 11, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Nah, I'll admit whenever people say they genuinely like Fallon I keep thinking it's some giant joke I'm not in on.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

comes along bort posted:

Nah, I'll admit whenever people say they genuinely like Fallon I keep thinking it's some giant joke I'm not in on.

It's no joke. Fallon is awesome.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
If you asked me 2 years ago, I would have laughed in your face if you suggested Fallon at 11:30. Then I actually started watching his show and got to see firsthand that it's like night and day compared to the gormless jackass sketch-ruining corpse machine I remembered from SNL. Seriously, there's no big secret. He got better. It does happen.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Geez, Fred Armisen. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Fallon got good when the show got "looser"; when he and Higgins would just go off on a tangent, or play Hot Sax. His interviews mostly suck though, and the various games are almost completely dependent on whether or not they have a good celebrity.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I wonder how many times Fred Armisen will do a weird awkward smile to the camera in the first month.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I wonder how many times Fred Armisen will do a weird awkward smile to the camera in the first month.

As many times as the show is broadcast x3. And it will be hilarious. What is your point?

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I just hope we get Portlandia Fred Armisen and not SNL Fred Armisen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SNL Fred Armisen is Everything But Portlandia Fred Armisen, so odds are not good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

I wasn't happy when Fallon got the Late Night gig, and I'm not too happy with Seth Meyers.

I guess what I'm really saying is I'm not a fan of the people Lorne Michaels has been grooming for the past decade. The same insular Lorne Michaels who for years didn't bother finding a black woman for SNL until bombarded with outside criticism.

Conan was a left-field, mostly unknown choice for Late Night who established himself outside of the SNL in addition to his SNL work. Fallon and Meyers still feel like products manufactured by a studio that we're supposed to like but don't remember why. They're the late night versions of Ryan Reynolds or Chris Pine.

Sorry this came out too mean.

You do know how much of a role Lorne played in getting Conan his job at Late Night, right? Also Fallon was an established comedian/improviser when he auditioned and Seth Myer's been the head writer for SNL for close to a decade now. They're not exactly teen bop plastic thin pretty people or something. Give them a shot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Meyers is pretty flat and plastic.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
I thought Fallon was meh and I think Meyers was a horrible choice.

I'll still watch both though and it'll be nice to finally watch NBC late night now that Leno is gone.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Say what you will about Fallon but he did get better compared to his first few months. I invite you to watch those again because holy poo poo he was so bad when he started.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Say what you will about Fallon but he did get better compared to his first few months. I invite you to watch those again because holy poo poo he was so bad when he started.

Didn't Robert De Niro poo poo all over him in his first interview?

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Corzaa posted:

Yeah, De Niro was a horrible first guest but his second was JT who easily made up for him.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Corzaa posted:

I wouldn't say he poo poo all over him. De Niro is never an easy interview, and a late night talk show is not the setting to try to get anything out of him.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I honestly can't tell how much of the Jordan Schlansky segments are scripted and how much of them are real.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I honestly can't tell how much of the Jordan Schlansky segments are scripted and how much of them are real.

I hope that's how he really sits on the toilet.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
How much of the Leno/Conan shitfit was Leno and not Zucker though? I mean, Zucker ran NBC into the ground, and I will laugh my rear end off if he gets Leno for CNN and it tanks horribly. I mean, I've never been a huge fan of Leno, where outside of Headlines he never was anything better than squarely mediocre, but I always got the feeling that he would have been very happy just getting a cushy EP role on Tonight+a sitcom a la 30 Rock or something and giving up the Tonight show reins to Conan and it was more Zucker who refused to change.

Chalk me up as someone who's excited for Seth Meyers though. There were a rough few years when he first took over SNL from Fey that have gotten a whole lot better and the joke consistency is a lot better under Meyers than it has been in years, which points to me that he not only can write funny stuff himself but he can assemble a team capable of writing funny poo poo as well.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
And still Jeff Zucker has a job and got to dine with Obama and the French president at this week's state dinner.

He's one of the most hated corporate suits in America and he's loving bulletproof.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

AA is for Quitters posted:

How much of the Leno/Conan shitfit was Leno and not Zucker though? I mean, Zucker ran NBC into the ground, and I will laugh my rear end off if he gets Leno for CNN and it tanks horribly. I mean, I've never been a huge fan of Leno, where outside of Headlines he never was anything better than squarely mediocre, but I always got the feeling that he would have been very happy just getting a cushy EP role on Tonight+a sitcom a la 30 Rock or something and giving up the Tonight show reins to Conan and it was more Zucker who refused to change.

Leno wants to perform, he has an almost psychotic need to be on stage. The Tonight Show is all he wanted to ever do. I highly doubt a gig like that holds any appeal to him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I was just watching Ferguson's interview on Leno and this question came up:

myron cope posted:

So it's going to be called The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, but it was "with" Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien. Wikipedia says it was "starring" Steve Allen, Jack Paar and Johnny Carson.

This is basically pointless but why the switch to "with" and now the switch back?

Leno says it was originally 'Starring Jay Leno' but his mother mocked him for 'Starring' so he changed it to 'With'. :shrug:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

AA is for Quitters posted:

It's easy to read too much into Zucker's personal dislike for Conan. Leno's always had strong management and Zucker's an idiot with a penchant for gimmickry, which is more likely the explanation for Leno's 10pm show.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S
Has Fallon gotten any better with his speaking voice? It may sound nit-picky, but one of the biggest turns offs I've had for him was his god awful hissy, lispy, jittery speaking style, it legitimately causes anxiety for me to watch. Also, the games and relying on the band for all his skits, like slow jamming the news and all that, just comes accross as terribly hokey and lame to me. He also came accross as such a spineless worm during the late night wars debacle with the whole "mommy, daddy, why are you fighting?" stance he seemed to take, but I guess I can understand that from a business standpoint. Incidently, I gained alot of respect for Jimmy Kimmel at that time for the opposite reason. I would probably watch Kimmel every night if it weren't for the fact that it clashes with Conan's time slot.

I've been a Conan fan since I started watching in '95 and I have to agree that he lost that special "something", to a degree, when he left NY (am I the only one that really really misses Joel Goddard??). I think it would be fitting, considering their histories, for Conan to take over for Letterman when he leaves, but I don't think it will happen. Conan has it far easier on cable than he would jumping back into network. Not to mention he is pretty much running TBS now. Also, what would happen to Pete Holmes? I imagine Conan wouldn't move unless he is allowed to come as well.
It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
I don't think he lost it, I think copyright forcefully ripped it away from him. He's still got it...

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Deadpool posted:

It's no joke. Fallon is awesome.

At what? Certainly not being funny.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

NiceGuy posted:

Different strokes, I guess. I hated his show initially, but I liked it the past couple years. A lot of it is the chemistry on the show, I think. Also, his interviews suck, but I like that they do bits with the guests other than that.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

MikeJF posted:

I was just watching Ferguson's interview on Leno and this question came up:

Leno says it was originally 'Starring Jay Leno' but his mother mocked him for 'Starring' so he changed it to 'With'. :shrug:
I have the first Leno Tonight on tape, just watched it last night, and it was always "with."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

pwn posted:

I have the first Leno Tonight on tape, just watched it last night, and it was always "with."

I recall Leno insisting it be "with" out of respect for Johnny.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

NiceGuy posted:

Actually yes, at being funny.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

pwn posted:

I assume the change occurred before the first actual airing.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

(am I the only one that really really misses Joel Goddard??)

Nope. Joel's goofy poo poo eating grin was the best.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

Incidently, I gained alot of respect for Jimmy Kimmel at that time for the opposite reason. I would probably watch Kimmel every night if it weren't for the fact that it clashes with Conan's time slot.

I feel the exact opposite about Kimmel. During the whole Conan mess everyone was paying attention to all the late night hosts except him, and to me he came off as this whiny attention whore who was desperately trying to insert himself into someone else's drama. Letterman and Leno obviously have an infamous history, and now Conan is involved, but Kimmel's just like "Look at me! Look at me guys! I'm involved in this thing too!"

Craig managed to talk about it without getting involved and acting like a massive tool. I don't really remember what Fallon did cause Fallon wasn't funny yet.

Soda Addict
Apr 19, 2003
Insert Something Here

counterfeitsaint posted:

I don't really remember what Fallon did cause Fallon wasn't funny yet.

I believe Fallon refused to get involved in the whole debacle when it was happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Soda Addict posted:

I believe Fallon refused to get involved in the whole debacle when it was happening.

Fallon was also so new to the game at that point that he really couldn't afford to throw his lot one way or another.