Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

My friend did this one. I guess it's some kind of pose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I usually hike solo, and even when I go with friends I'm the one with the camera, so there are precious few pics of me hamming it up on peaks. This is a predictable pose, but what else are you supposed to do with Storm King in the background and a winter storm coming?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
snoe-show, snow-show, snoe-shoe
I cannot google this footwear to save my life. Luckily REI rents them in CO.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Dogs are the best trail buds

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
My brother being Cpt. Morgan on Muir Pass in '11.

It's not on top of a mountain, but I am still in the mountains. I found him this way, just climbed in for the shot.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

EightBit posted:

There isn't a dedicated canoe/kayak thread, which strikes me as a bit odd,
The Catch-All Fishing Thread is kind of the unofficial kayaking/canoeing thread.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I always end up looking like a doofus in pictures:

burntloser
Mar 28, 2006

Quilted for her pleasure.
Any AK or western CAN goons done Chilkoot?
A buddy and I are planning on heading up this July. I've done plenty of 3-5 day trips along the Virginia/Pennsylvania AT and the occasional 4th season trip upstate, but nothing even close to alpine. Beyond the avalanche kits and serious bear stuff, anything you'd recommend I read up on?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

My dad used to have a tradition where he would stand on his head whenever he got to a summit. I have yet to duplicate his feat.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Anybody do Long's Peak in CO? Recommend it to a noobish solo hiker/boulderer?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

It's about a difficult as a "hike" can be in Colorado. No technical ability is required, but if you're stupid you'll probably die and I don't know you, so ??? People die on that "hike" nearly every year.

It's not especially difficult, but it is dangerous.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

It's about a difficult as a "hike" can be in Colorado. No technical ability is required, but if you're stupid you'll probably die and I don't know you, so ??? People die on that "hike" nearly every year.

gently caress it I'll do Elbert.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Elbert is certainly a nicer view. Bag Downs and all that while you're there, it's literally across the street. Sorta.

e: wtf why did I say Downs, that's in the Winds. Mount Massive.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 4, 2014

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

agarjogger posted:

I suggest looking up you tube videos of people hiking it. Locals will say it's intense but that most people can do it without any technical skill. For anyone new to hiking or new to big mountains/scrambling/altitude I would suggest something easier.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

agarjogger posted:

What route and what time of year? There's a big difference between "hourglass in July" and "cables in February".

agarjogger posted:

gently caress it I'll do Elbert.

A good choice, but I'd say the premier "easy" winter 14er is probably the East Slopes of Quandary.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Does The North Face make a two-person tent* you guys would recommend for summer camping? My sister works at an outdoor sporting store and gets an employee discount, and wanted to get me something for my birthday. I'm planning on doing all my camping off of a motorbike at this point so weight's not *as* big of a concern as it is for you guys, although if it was versatile enough to take hiking/backpacking, wouldn't bother me.

Main use is for a 30 day road trip this August (gonna mix it up with some Couchsurfing and stuff), which in Japan is going to be hot and humid as balls. I already own 3 generic dome tents (hand me downs from friends who have moved), which are fine in the spring/fall, but I haven't dared camp in the height of summer here yet.

*Or 1.5 person-ish size... I'll most likely be solo when I'm using it, but I like having enough room to get changed/have my saddlebags and other gear in the tent with me at night.

Shrinking Universe posted:

I posted a couple of pages back about this, but I effectively walked through a stream for 4 days (it was a trail, but constant rain turned it into a stream) back in January.

That said, this seems completely impractical for what you are trying to achieve.

My formula was;

- Good quality Icebreaker socks
- Leather boots, sno-sealed
- Waterproof pants (optional, kept the tops of my legs above gaiters dry)
- Gaiters, tight fitting around the top of the boot. I think these were key. Stopped water getting over the top of the boot. I would have still worn these even if the rain stopped because of the mud and deep puddles. Also I might have a fighting chance against snakebites.

I don't know how good they are for extended distances (mine were OK for a mile or two hike to a national park in the snow), but I'm happy with the way my Frogg Toggs overboots keep my feet dry in the rain when I'm on my motorbike. Stomped around in the snow a bunch on the national park hike and felt no moisture getting in. They make stuff more for wading and the like as well.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 4, 2014

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Save me jeebus posted:

What route and what time of year? There's a big difference between "hourglass in July" and "cables in February".
I tried hourglass in August (2005) and still didn't make the peak because I was stupid and didn't bring any crampons and the little mountain goat part from the hourglass to the peak was still snowy and icy. Probably an abundance of caution, but fuckit, the view from the hourglass was nice enough to not risk a fall.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I've done the apostles in the summer and it was gorgeous, but this looks amazing:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/02/05/272126457/almost-otherwordly-the-sea-caves-of-lake-superior-on-ice

My only worry is my first free weekend is in early March but the ice should be solid, I think??

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
What's the best part and most secure way to tie your sleeping bag to the outside of your pack?

Yes common sense dictates that I stuff it inside the pack but it's too big (meant for 2 people and cold weather) and it has an Outdoor Research compression sack anyway.

Also, I think I can shrink it a couple of times more at the top but the trade off is it becomes a little wider so I'm not sure if that's better or worse if I were to tie it outside.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
If your pack has ice axe loops at the bottom, that's probably your best bet. You could also try to use your top lid(if your pack has one) to keep it in place. Really, your only options are the bottom of your pack or the top- it's too big to put on the sides and not hit every tree/bush/etc on your trail.

The other obvious solution of course is to make room in your pack somehow. Maybe strap something tall and narrow, like your sleeping pad or shelter, to the sides of your pack, or move some stuff forward .

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
People who have applied for permits for the JMT...when the application asks for 2nd and 3rd choices, does anyone know how that works if you put down a different date? Like I'm thinking of starting August 11th...if I don't get that, starting the 12th would be fine, even starting the 13th as my third choice would be fine. Do they just put it on the top of the pile for that days reservations if your first choice isn't available or should you also throw in individual applications for those dates as well?

I'm probably overthinking this but eh

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Disharmony posted:

What's the best part and most secure way to tie your sleeping bag to the outside of your pack?

Yes common sense dictates that I stuff it inside the pack but it's too big (meant for 2 people and cold weather) and it has an Outdoor Research compression sack anyway.

Also, I think I can shrink it a couple of times more at the top but the trade off is it becomes a little wider so I'm not sure if that's better or worse if I were to tie it outside.

I always put my pad on the outside and bag on the inside, though my pad is a little bigger (not inflatable) and my bag has nice cinch loops at its bottom.

The one time I did put my bag on the outside (temporarily), I used the lid to hold it on.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Levitate posted:

People who have applied for permits for the JMT...when the application asks for 2nd and 3rd choices, does anyone know how that works if you put down a different date? Like I'm thinking of starting August 11th...if I don't get that, starting the 12th would be fine, even starting the 13th as my third choice would be fine. Do they just put it on the top of the pile for that days reservations if your first choice isn't available or should you also throw in individual applications for those dates as well?

I'm probably overthinking this but eh

From what I remember our team leader telling me they're fairly persnickety about the dates on your app since they have such a high volume of them to denyprocess. When we applied it was all for the same departure date.

Not that it mattered as we got denied anyway and will be camping out for a permit day of. All of the other hikers we've been talking to who've done JMT have never gotten a permit approved before hand.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Consider putting down Glacier Point as an alternate trail head. It meets up at the top of Nevada falls so you basically just skip the mist trail. Hell you could even hike down and back up the mist trail on the first day if you really wanted to. http://www.yosemite.ca.us/maps/yosemite_valley_map_2008.jpg

Also you could start at Tuolomne Meadows and save yourself a bunch of vertical climb and the headache of crowds in the valley.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Hm, ok, I'll probably put in for several trailheads and see what happens, just not sure what to put as the exit point if not doing the default "this is what you put if you're doing the JMT" trailhead

e: my dad apparently got a permit ahead of time for Happy Isles around the same time of year I'm looking at going but ended up having to change it for scheduling reasons, so it theoretically is possible! Supposedly you have to fax it as emailing it is lower priority for them

vvv - ah you're right, I read "mail" as email. Not that I was planning to do it that way anyways...I'd like to start from the beginning and all to do the "full JMT" but if I end up starting from Tuolumne Meadows then I'm not gonna cry about it. Thanks for the tip on Glacier Point.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 11, 2014

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Exit point doesn't really matter; I'd put down Whitney Portal on the form no matter where you start from. If you end up bailing out early, it won't matter what you put as your exit point.

I'm pretty sure you can't email them in at all. You can try to call or you can snail mail it but fax is apparently the best way.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
One other question: what do you call those elastic rope things used to tie the sleeping bags/tent/pads outside?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Bungee cords? Paracord? I think most people use nylon straps though, assuming you mean tying to the outside of your pack

e: yeah I don't mean to advocate using bungee cords or paracord, just was trying to guess what you were thinking of. A flat nylon strap and buckles will hold your stuff more securely and easily. You can get plenty of options at places like REI if you need them

Levitate fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 12, 2014

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
Yeah, I don't recommend elastic. In my experience it tends to stretch and give, or shift too much and has to be replaced fairly regularly.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Just checked up on my REI dividend and it looks like I have about $200 to blow this year. Probably time to invest in a GPS watch or something.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!
I imagine a lot of the people here keep an eye on https://www.steepandcheap.com but, right now they are having a sale on Men's casual pants.

Prana Stretch Zion's for $50. Not a HUGE discount, but not bad.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Steep and Cheap is the poo poo. Current steals are pretty random, but the gear cache is changed out frequently and there are lots of good deals. I'm lucky in that I live like 5 miles from Backcountry's warehouse so I can get the cheapest shipping available and still get it the next day.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Did anybody else catch the article in the March issue of Backpacker about the young woman who disappeared while hiking in Nepal?

What a heart wrenching story. Really stands in contrast to all the stories I love reading about these far away, exotic places accompanied with beautiful pictures of amazing landscapes.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Did anybody else catch the article in the March issue of Backpacker about the young woman who disappeared while hiking in Nepal?

What a heart wrenching story. Really stands in contrast to all the stories I love reading about these far away, exotic places accompanied with beautiful pictures of amazing landscapes.

I hadn't heard about it so I tracked down a news story about her and another woman in a similar event. Sad stuff. Looks like Nepal's backpacking association TAAN tried to ban solo trekking as a result of the murders, but was unsuccessful in getting it passed through the political system.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a question about a LifeStraw. I got one as a gift, but I'm wondering the limitations of using it. Like are there things I shouldn't be using it on, or would I use it the same as something I would otherwise iodine or grav filter?

Capt. Sticl posted:

I imagine a lot of the people here keep an eye on https://www.steepandcheap.com but, right now they are having a sale on Men's casual pants.

Prana Stretch Zion's for $50. Not a HUGE discount, but not bad.

Those are the best pants. I've worn them climbing, hiking, yoga, running, around the city, and basically everything else you can do.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 12, 2014

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
That woman disappearing in Nepal was big news while I was there - almost all the Nepali guides were making sure the women in our group knew to not go hiking off solo. Also our trekking company sent us with female and male guides because of a similar event where a male guide raped a solo hiking female. It's also in all the tourist books on Nepal now too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Life straws are supposed to be able to handle anything that's water based. The trick to using it easily though is to fill an extra bottle and put the straw in that instead of leaning over and putting the straw into the source. I still carry tabs because in like redundancy, but the straw works pretty well and I would feel safe with it in sketchy situations.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Those are the best pants. I've worn them climbing, hiking, yoga, running, around the city, and basically everything else you can do.

How would you say the fit on them is? Going by there fit guide I'll be a M-32, but the waist for M says 32-33 which might be a little large, so I could order a S and hope it's snug but stretchy enough to be right. Do you find their fit true to size?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 12, 2014

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
For a trip to Iceland next month would people recommend getting a waterproof daypack or just a normal daypack and then buying a waterproof pouch to put valuables inside and then in the bag?

I also need to research weatherproof jackets but from the few hours research I've done that's going to be about budget more than anything else.. I would kill for a Canada Goose parka.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Mad Wack posted:

That woman disappearing in Nepal was big news while I was there - almost all the Nepali guides were making sure the women in our group knew to not go hiking off solo. Also our trekking company sent us with female and male guides because of a similar event where a male guide raped a solo hiking female. It's also in all the tourist books on Nepal now too.

Maybe the article is playing up the danger a bit but it sounds like attacks on women by themselves or even in pairs was not that unusual.

There was one attack they talked about where they found the woman's body after she went missing, decapitated and without one of her arms.

Even as a guy that doesn't sounds like the kind of place I would want to travel.

edit: any recommendations for parks to visit within an hour or so of Las Vegas? I'm here for work and it looks like I might have a bit of extra time to fart around the area.

TouchyMcFeely fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
If you've got a little extra time to spare, see if you can make Zion or Bryce in Utah. Weather is fantastic this week/weekend.