Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

alg posted:

All of the games you are describing are on tiny scales compared to Battlefield 4 except Planetside 2, which has had tons of issues (and static terrain, no doors...tons of technical sacrifices). Try comparing this game to ARMA 2 or 3. Bandwidth isn't the only consideration when it comes to network code as you seem to believe; it's easy to attack the video when you understand the issue.

There have been legitimate bugs like the 1 shot bug, and a couple of others. But that video is 20 minutes of some Youtuber talking out his rear end.

Edit: I only played a couple hundred hours of Battlefield 3 because of the terrible team switching but I experienced all the same issues with client side hit reg that Battlefield 4 has.

Finally someone with some sense and an understanding of just how much poo poo BF4 has to send across the net. And no it's not "just like BF3 and that worked fine". BF4 sends a lot more data because now physics are synced too. That's a giant pile of stuff that they didn't have to care about in BF3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Sounds perfectly balanced to me!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

canyoneer posted:

Some stupid pubbie on my team that had gone 4-17 and had ~2,000 points at the end of the round sasses me, saying I'm playing the MAA wrong and staying too close to the spawn. Yeah, good idea pubbie. Getting our MAA killed by one of the three enemy tanks roaming around is a better idea than shutting down every single enemy air asset :jerkbag:

I've been told I'm spawn camping in the MAA on Golmud when I'm sitting 100 meters from where the D train starts. Pretty sure the guy just got killed by a scout helicopter and decided that since I wasn't shooting at the thing that was shooting him, obviously I wasn't shooting at anything.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Am I crazy, or has capture the flag replaced air superiority in the server browser? Unless I'm wrong, it appears that it's now impossible to filter searches for that mode :v:

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

n0n0 posted:

Instead of attacking the person who made the videos and performed the analysis, you could try attacking the argument that they're making. That might be a good idea, and something for you to look into. You could, in preparation for your rebuttal, which I am certain will be well-reasoned, google ad hominem in order to broaden your mad debating skill set.

That being said -- if Quake 3 could handle a tickrate of 60 in a 16 player game in the late 90s when *many* players were on 56k, then why can't BF4 handle anything greater than a tickrate of 10 when broadband is how nearly all gamers play? Granted, the amount of data that needs to be transmitted has increased, and that surely plays a role... but discounting the whole tickrate argument as "this guy is a hobbyist, what does he know?" is just stupid. NS2 has a higher tickrate than BF4, and there's ALL SORTS of "levelution" type effects going on in there. Planetside 2 manages battles with hundreds of players at a time and the player experience is pretty loving good. Tribes had 32+ player games and lag was only an issue if I had really poo poo packet loss.

Think critically. Ok?

Edit: In most of the games I've listed, it's possible for a server admin to manually change the tickrate. Why is this not possible in BF4, do you think?

Quake 3 ticked at 20 out of the box. All the COD games probably still do. QL is 40.

Major INTERSpess
Apr 18, 2013

Call Apogee
Say Aardwolf

n0n0 posted:

Edit: In most of the games I've listed, it's possible for a server admin to manually change the tickrate. Why is this not possible in BF4, do you think?

Probably because servers are rented - there are no player hosted dedicated servers. I guess they probably want to maximize the performance & number of games on a single box VS having to compromise with giving more bandwidth to one server over all the others. The money machine in motion.

Major INTERSpess fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 12, 2014

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
I think all of these essay length arguments about specific details of lag or whatever are missing out on the larger point that this game is just a boring copy/paste of battlefield 3 with a bunch of insubstantial bells and whistles tacked on. You're arguing about the molecular details of one corn kernel and ignoring the big piece of poo poo it's wedged in.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

That's weird, I went and played BF3 for a night a while back and it felt like I took a major step back.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I'm sure the other guy's subjective opinion is more correct or whatever :)

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

the least weasel posted:

I'm sure the other guy's subjective opinion is more correct or whatever :)

Yeah, but his subjective opinion is clearly wrong! I feel strongly about Video Games!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah, but his subjective opinion is clearly wrong! I feel strongly about Video Games!

Your anecdotal evidence is bullshit whereas mine has Youtube videos!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Inspector_666 posted:

Your anecdotal evidence is bullshit whereas mine has Youtube videos!

Tickrate! Netcode! Lag Comp!

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
Are all things that exist, no need to :qq: when people talk about them.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TangentEnigma posted:

this game is just a boring copy/paste of battlefield 3 with a bunch of insubstantial bells and whistles tacked on.

I played like 80 hours of BF3 total, most of which were after Back to Karkand came out. Vanilla BF3 sucked. The maps sucked, the game sucked, everything about it was a huge step back from BC2. BF4, even with all of it's flaws is so much better.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Someguy posted:

Are all things that exist, no need to :qq: when people talk about them.

No. "Netcode" doesn't exist. It isn't a thing. Even if we take OneEightHundred's definition of what "netcode" is, it's so generic that it encompasses the entire game start to finish. It’s a worthless buzzword that spergs have latched onto to give them something to rage about on YouTube and user forums.

You know what; I think the current tickrate is fine. I don’t think two frames of animation lag is going to account for all of these problems especially the one frame kill problem. The FAMAS fires one round every 60 milliseconds. This means at 60 Hz you need 3.75 frames of animation to fire a single round from a FAMAS. You need 15 frames of animation to hit with four rounds for a kill. Somehow the game is dropping 14 frames of animation! That isn’t going to be fixed by upping the tickrate. (assuming my math is right but I'm doing this at work between tickets so I admittedly could be wrong here)

This is why I rage when people say things like “…tell us what the 'real' problems are if they aren't bad netcode and abysmally low tick rate?” You have no earthly idea what the real problem is and you just want to have a target for your impotent nerd rage.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 12, 2014

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Who gives a poo poo about tick codes and netrates; Obama now wants crankshafts.

50 million of 'em

#crankshaftsforobama

Sir DonkeyPunch fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 12, 2014

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

fknlo posted:

I played like 80 hours of BF3 total, most of which were after Back to Karkand came out. Vanilla BF3 sucked. The maps sucked, the game sucked, everything about it was a huge step back from BC2. BF4, even with all of it's flaws is so much better.

Thank you, this is exactly how I feel.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

fknlo posted:

Just being able to play on a team with my crew without getting team switched on lovely servers all the time makes BF4 automatically better

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

50 million of 'em

#crankshaftsforobama

The cruel tyranny of Obama's America

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

SwitchbladeKult posted:

No. "Netcode" doesn't exist. It isn't a thing. Even if we take OneEightHundred's definition of what "netcode" is, it's so generic that it encompasses the entire game start to finish. It’s a worthless buzzword that spergs have latched onto to give them something to rage about on YouTube and user forums.
Netcode is simply the term used for describing the part of the game that handles information between servers, clients and peers, it certainly is a 'thing', short hand for people that want to talk about a certain aspect or function of a game that involves multiplayer over the Internet. You're throwing a massive fit over some simple short hand terminology, and it's hilarious.

quote:

This is why I rage when people say things like “…tell us what the 'real' problems are if they aren't bad netcode and abysmally low tick rate?” You have no earthly idea what the real problem is and you just want to have a target for your impotent nerd rage.
:ironicat:

Tell us more about impotent nerd rage.

edit vvv: yeah posting a couple videos about game's broken multiplayer sure does qualify, why don't you go back to recording LPs or some lovely podcast that no one will ever watch or care about you giant baby?

Someguy fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 12, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Someguy posted:

Why should he tell you more about it when your post history over the last couple months is like a loving museum to it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My hate for the omnipresent hill wookie population and their noobcannon-barrage on every bloody map far surpasses any negative feeling I have toward what for me is essentially a very stable and enjoyable game.

Sorry to hear someone blew up your fun.

You should play in goonsquads more, we talk so much poo poo on the knifeback mumble our biggest problem is holding the mouse steady while laughing most nights...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Someguy posted:

Someguy posted:

edit vvv: yeah posting a couple videos about game's broken multiplayer sure does qualify, why don't you go back to recording LPs or some lovely podcast that no one will ever watch or care about you giant baby?

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Until I played BF4, I had never been shot after passing a corner in a multiplayer FPS. I never had a death where a killcam showed me in a different spot than where I was on screen or shot at a guy's head and hit nothing. The lag in this atrocity of a "game" should make all top corporate guys at EA resign in shame.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

50 million of 'em

#crankshaftsforobama

I wonder if the Gold pack items for Community Mission is predetermined or random...

Can't wait to get 1 obtuse angle, 1 swirl, 1 atomic diarrhea paint, 1 another generic knife and 1 Battlelog emblem of Irish eating pudding.

... wait, I want that atomic diarrhea paint!

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

Someguy posted:

Netcode is simply the term used for describing the part of the game that handles information between servers, clients and peers, it certainly is a 'thing', short hand for people that want to talk about a certain aspect or function of a game that involves multiplayer over the Internet. You're throwing a massive fit over some simple short hand terminology, and it's hilarious.

GOD THIS GAME IS SO loving BROKEN AND STUPID AND I HATE IT.
*makes forum posts whining about terrible game*
*continues playing the game*
*posts videos about how bad the game is*
*bitches more about broken things in game*

So..stop playing the game I guess?

I continue playing the game because it is fun. When it stops being fun. I'll stop. Despite the bugs. The wonky issues that it has. The game is still fun and that is why I play games because they are fun.

EDIT: to stop the derail. Woo top 11% with the MTAR only 22k kills to #1 :getin:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Hopper posted:

My hate for the omnipresent hill wookie population and their noobcannon-barrage on every bloody map far surpasses any negative feeling I have toward what for me is essentially a very stable and enjoyable game.

Sorry to hear someone blew up your fun.

You should play in goonsquads more, we talk so much poo poo on the knifeback mumble our biggest problem is holding the mouse steady while laughing most nights...

He's on the Xbox360, he just likes to post stuff all over the place.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

50 million of 'em

#crankshaftsforobama

They know exactly how many vehicles are destroyed on average each week. I don't understand these things

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

50 million of 'em

#crankshaftsforobama

If you jihad vehicle someone, that counts as two vehicles destroyed right? Allahu Akbar!

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I think some of you may have to accept that the game isn't real and the bullets aren't real and your avatar doesn't really exist and the simulation of real world physics may be imperfect.

If you're going to get mad maybe you should get made about spawning into vehicles crashing the game or the bad implementation of team balances that breaks goon group up.

My summary is that the game is fun and if you can't have fun parachuting off of a building dropping C4 packages on a tank like some kind of insane Santa then stab someone with a machete once you hit the ground while jets and helicopters fight it out above you maybe video games aren't for you.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

OGS-Remix posted:

If you jihad vehicle someone, that counts as two vehicles destroyed right? Allahu Akbar!

Welp time to Jihad all day erryday. #jihadforobama

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

ShiroTheSniper posted:

I wonder if the Gold pack items for Community Mission is predetermined or random...

Can't wait to get 1 obtuse angle, 1 swirl, 1 atomic diarrhea paint, 1 another generic knife and 1 Battlelog emblem of Irish eating pudding.

... wait, I want that atomic diarrhea paint!

I would love an avatar of Irish eating pudding. He seems like a big guy, probably could slam a 4 pack no problem

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kibayasu posted:

I've been told I'm spawn camping in the MAA on Golmud when I'm sitting 100 meters from where the D train starts. Pretty sure the guy just got killed by a scout helicopter and decided that since I wasn't shooting at the thing that was shooting him, obviously I wasn't shooting at anything.

Been admin-killed for "spawn camping" in the MAA on Dawnbreaker at C, the bridge section. Proved I wasn't be then re-spawning at C and climbing back inside to continue murdering their helicopters and LAVs.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

OGS-Remix posted:

Kinda related to this, but does battlelog track c4 kills for the support class yet? :dice:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chronojam posted:

Been admin-killed for "spawn camping" in the MAA on Dawnbreaker at C, the bridge section. Proved I wasn't be then re-spawning at C and climbing back inside to continue murdering their helicopters and LAVs.

Man we got mass banned from a server yesterday for defending the affordable care act and asking the admins to check their privilege. Battlefield truly has the worst admins.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Kinda related to this, but does battlelog track c4 kills for the support class yet? :dice:

Nope, I'm still sitting at 3 total C4 kills when I actually have like two service stars with it at this point.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

no it doesn't. I only have 11. I really would like to see how many I actually have. I should have 196. That's how many kills I have that aren't attributed to a gun/vehicle.

Merica fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 12, 2014

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Someguy posted:

Good players continue to do well consistently, bad players do poorly. What is the problem with the netcode exactly?

I play a lot of domination in BF4 and I played a lot of Close Quarters in BF3. They both have the same problem of dying after you thought you made it to cover -- the BF3 thread was rife with complaints about it.

Be honest, you're not upset with BF4 because of tickrate or netcode, you're upset with BF4 because of balance and gameplay changes.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Someguy posted:

Sorry I blew up your whining spergy :bandwagon: so bad you went and listened to my podcast and read through my posting history, bro. Please post more about your netbeans and fairyrates or something.

#crankshaftsforobama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Sorry I blew up your whining spergy :bandwagon: so bad you went and listened to my podcast and read through my posting history, bro. Please post more about your netbeans and fairyrates or something.

#crankshaftsforobama

I'm sorry that the idea that netcode is a real thing that exists makes you really upset, enough to rage out over it, but don't think anyone ever cared enough to read your post history. Thanks for letting us know you have a podcast though, that explains some things.

edit: also look up irony in the dictionary for fucks sake

Someguy fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 12, 2014

• Locked thread