Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Avenging Dentist posted:

Mozilla software is also open source, so anyone can get involved and improve the software, even if that just means running Nightly once in a while and posting bug reports. Plenty of people working on Mozilla projects do so on a volunteer basis because they want to make the software they use every day better (e.g. me with Thunderbird). Complaining doesn't really help though; it's just catharsis. A lot of the complaints I see really boil down to "I was used to the old way", which is valid for that user, but doesn't do anything to help all the people who may have been confused by the old way.

And, as mentioned, if you like your browser UI to remain unchanged for long periods of time, you can use SeaMonkey, which still looks like the Mozilla Suite for the most part.

This is a discussion thread, isn't it? Are we never to discuss our opinion of things (even our negative opinions) if we have little chance to change a developer's mind, or can we talk about the changes in the Firefox web browser without being told to (essentially) shut up or quit whining. It gets annoying to have someone say your feeling aren't legitimate or implying that they don't matter when you're just trying to point out you dislike some of the new features or design decisions in a thing you use. Sometimes, a discussion can have no other purpose than to just exist, y'know.

I use Pale Moon, though. The effects on me will be minimal, so I don't particularly mind. I found my solution to my problem a long time ago, but I still dislike that I had a problem in the first place. So, I get on this thread, and I will say "Man, this kind of sucks, y'know?". If someone is curious why I think the new changes suck, I'll explain: I tried the new way, and I kind of like the old way better. The same way that folk tried the Metro UI, gave it a genuine shot, and still greatly preferred the Windows Vista/7 UI better. I'm not going to say they're dumb for that. I might defend the Metro UI a bit, but I won't say they shouldn't have that opinion or that they're wrong for expressing it. Quite frankly, I'm not attached to either Firefox or Windows 8.x to get worked up about them either way, y'know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

The Merkinman posted:

First off, you're asuming people are leaving Firefox due to UI change. Maybe they feel Chrome is faster, or prefer Webkit Blink, maybe something else.
Second, even if you assume UI is why they are leaving, they are leaving for Chrome.
Every month Firefox looks more like Chrome. Every month Firefox has less users.

Your hand-waving isnt even facing the right direction.

At best you get this:

GrizzlyCow posted:

Firefox is so close to Chrome aesthetically I figure that I might as well get the real deal instead of a second-tier knock off.

The Merkinman posted:

Therefore the solution would be to make the UI more like Chrome...
Firefox was great. Its too bad that people are cheerleading its downfall.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It's really all just guesswork anyway, I would argue that the reason Firefox is losing ground to Chrome is because they have been focusing their development efforts on the wrong things (Android, endless UI redesigns, minimising RAM usage, codec support for formats that nobody uses) rather than other things that more people might actually want (H.264, UI responsiveness, speed.)

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
:siren:The derail regarding your hatred of change is over:siren:

You are allowed to have and express opinions about changes in Firefox. You are not allowed to worthlessly shitpost and derail the thread because you feel that all changes are automatically wrong because Firefox became perfect at some arbitrary point that happens to coincide with when you got used to the UI.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Is there an extension that makes the Australis "Customize" button more powerful?

e: Mainly dealing with breaking up some of the squashed-together-and-cannot-separate stuff like the bookmark star/menu buttons, or forward/back being attached to the location bar and 'Customize' not being able to insert buttons in between.

astral fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 8, 2014

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Avenging Dentist posted:

Just complaining about UI changes is pretty much entirely pointless. I'm not sure any serious developers actually pay attention to user complaints, unless they're particularly well-expressed and provide potential solutions (or if the developer already agrees with the complaint and just didn't have time to fix it yet). If you really want to make UIs that most people like, it's better to do stuff like A/B testing and user studies, since you can be quite a bit more scientific with them instead of making a change reactively just because of a vocal minority.
Yeah this is what I was getting at.

three posted:

What's the "best practice" for handling Firefox updates in an enterprise? We're using Firefox ESR right now with auto updates turned off and our packaging team is manually packaging every new ESR release. This seems in-optimal.
I'd like to know this too, got kind of lost among the new release/UI chat.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

The Merkinman posted:

Yeah this is what I was getting at.

I'd like to know this too, got kind of lost among the new release/UI chat.

We use the latest release version, have it set to auto-update, and create custom install packages to advertise through SCCM for the stragglers.

Less than 10% of our users use Firefox.

Even for such a small number, we still have more people stuck on 25 than on 26 or 27.

I'd like a better way, too.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Doesn't Frontmotion still package Firefox as easy-to-deploy MSI packages?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I don't know why Mozilla doesn't provide some proper Firefox management tools for businesses. They give you an ESR release you have to repackage and a pat on the back for good luck.

Google meanwhile not only provides a version of Chrome as MSI but also gives you a bunch of group policy templates.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The new Sync and the new "Australis" Interface have both now landed in Aurora.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Has anyone tried turning on the per-tab process preference in any of the latest builds (Beta and Aurora)? I created a new profile and it was still unusable.

Also, Aurora 29 with a new profile seems to start up much faster than version 28 with my old(ish) profile. I didn't install Disconnect or Flashblock this time, I wonder if those were culprits?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 8, 2014

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
Hope someone makes an addon to remove the empty space above the tabs in the Australis UI. Only problem I have with it right now.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I think there'd be a problem distinguishing from the title bar and the tabs, though. So you'd try to move a window around and just move a tab.
Otherwise I do think that would look a lot better.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

zachol posted:

I think there'd be a problem distinguishing from the title bar and the tabs, though. So you'd try to move a window around and just move a tab.
Otherwise I do think that would look a lot better.

Ah I don't have the title bar enabled. Still though it was nice when the tabs were near the top of the bar. Everything else is pretty cool though.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'd be pissed if I had been using ff since 1.5 and since the fast release cycle everything has been going steadily downhill. Less features and more issues each version.

When you compare that to Chrome: has worked always the same. No changes in ui and no attempts to annoy the crap out of users. No wonder people keep using and moving to chrome and ie since at least you get some stability and familiarity with those browsers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Ihmemies posted:

I'd be pissed if I had been using ff since 1.5 and since the fast release cycle everything has been going steadily downhill. Less features and more issues each version.

When you compare that to Chrome: has worked always the same. No changes in ui and no attempts to annoy the poo poo out of users. No wonder people keep using and moving to chrome and ie since at least you get some stability and familiarity with those browsers.

same but opposite

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I'm kind of iffy on the Australis idea just looking at it now, but I also think I'll probably get used to it. I've been using Firefox daily since version 0.8 ten years ago (barring a stretch of about a week where I switched to Chrome, and then promptly switched back because I didn't like it) and every time there's been a UI refresh or major change I give it a couple days to "try it out" and then end up liking it. Case in point I really hated the new download manager at first but after a couple of days I was sold.

If worse comes to worse there's the Classic Theme Restorer or even SeaMonkey or something.

I am very curious to see how the new sync works out. The streamlined sync was one of only two things I liked better about Chrome (Google translate popup on a non-English page was the other thing I liked).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

AllanGordon posted:

Hope someone makes an addon to remove the empty space above the tabs in the Australis UI. Only problem I have with it right now.

Assuming you mean what I think you mean, that space is so you can actually grab the window and move it around. It's not there if you maximize the browser (but then who does that unless you're on a tiny screen?)

Standish
May 21, 2001

AllanGordon posted:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/australis-slimmr/?src=api

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
edit: Found the fix.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 9, 2014

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Alereon posted:

:siren:The derail regarding your hatred of change is over:siren:

You are allowed to have and express opinions about changes in Firefox. You are not allowed to worthlessly shitpost and derail the thread because you feel that all changes are automatically wrong because Firefox became perfect at some arbitrary point that happens to coincide with when you got used to the UI.

How dare people discuss the new Firefox release in the Firefox thread. Only opinions in favour of each change shall be allowed. All others are shitposts.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Thanks for linking that exactly what I was hoping for.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

~Coxy posted:

How dare people discuss the new Firefox release in the Firefox thread. Only opinions in favour of each change shall be allowed. All others are shitposts.

lol

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

~Coxy posted:

I think the point is that "discussing" and "whining" are two separate concepts but I'm not a mod sooooooo :angel:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The newest exciting feature in the world's best browser is a(i)ds: http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/02/firefox-to-start-putting-new-ads-in-new-places/

Can't wait to experience this brave and interesting new venture. About time Mozilla started to monetize their products better.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

People use the new tab page?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think my housemate uses it as her launch page. This seems aimed at new users, and ones who don't already have regular Internet haunts of their own at that, since the article suggests that the ads would be phased out as the user's preferred sites are populated on the new tab page.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
This is the work of the brand new Mozilla Content Services team, announced last Friday with the apparent goal of broadening Mozilla's revenue stream so they're not solely dependent on Google. My hope is that we'll see Mozilla backing away from this over the next week or so and saying that Darren Herman jumped the gun and didn't gather enough community input.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
It doesn't seem intrusive at all to me. It would only affect people who use the new tab page and then only if they start a new profile. It doesn't seem like it would affect anyone who has been using Firefox for over a week.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

I don't really mind it either but the fact that they announced it with a super-weaselly PR release on their blog which goes to ridiculous length not to use the word "ad" rubs me really the wrong way. Yeah, lets bury the important announcement in the third to last paragraph after some "digital disruptive leadership transformation" bullshit-bingo winning drivel.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Yeah, it really feels like Mozilla went out and got themselves their very own Silicon Valley "thought leader" marketing shitheel. I can appreciate the need to get money from sources other than Google to stay afloat, but I feel like they should be way more upfront and transparent about it.

e: :lol: https://twitter.com/dherman76/status/431968639990763520

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Man this guy sure loves uncritically talking about disruptive technology. :allears:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Alereon posted:

This is the work of the brand new Mozilla Content Services team, announced last Friday with the apparent goal of broadening Mozilla's revenue stream so they're not solely dependent on Google. My hope is that we'll see Mozilla backing away from this over the next week or so and saying that Darren Herman jumped the gun and didn't gather enough community input.

I sincerely hope so too.

Applebees posted:

It doesn't seem intrusive at all to me. It would only affect people who use the new tab page and then only if they start a new profile. It doesn't seem like it would affect anyone who has been using Firefox for over a week.

Yeah, let's turn off new users who might be considering the switch to Firefox by immediately showing them ads. Great idea, Mozilla team. :)

astral fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 12, 2014

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Money has to be a real problem for Mozilla right now. Their current contract with Google ends in November of this year, and there's absolutely no way that they're going to be able to re-sign it at the current $300 million a year rate. Firefox simply doesn't have the market share it used to, and it's been losing it to Google's own Chrome. That combined with them pulling this ad thing out of their rear end must mean someone over at Mozilla is scrambling.

All of this just makes me continue to wonder... What the heck does Mozilla do with $300 million dollars a year?

Edit: This ads idea seems super poorly thought out. Don't they realize that the moment they turn it on, multiple forks will spring out of the ether? Everyone will switch to FreeFox (unless the ads can be turned off by something as simple as an about.config setting) and that'll be the end of that for a huge portion of their current user base. Only new users will ever see them, and why the heck would a new user pick an ad-supported program (in my day we called that stuff "adware") over Chrome?

xamphear fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 13, 2014

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

xamphear posted:

All of this just makes me continue to wonder... What the heck does Mozilla do with $300 million dollars a year?

I suspect a lot of it has to do with their efforts to get a smartphone OS off the ground. I'll give them credit in that it's something a little different from another attempt to get a pure linux phone on the market, but drat are they not the company to make it happen.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Why does every browser suck now?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

dpbjinc posted:

Why does every browser suck now?

Advertising.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

astral posted:

Yeah, let's turn off new users who might be considering the switch to Firefox by immediately showing them ads. Great idea, Mozilla team. :)

Safari did the same thing last time I used it. If you started it with a new profile, it had the tiles prepopulated instead of showing them blank. Some were Apple sites, some were popular third-party sites, and I assume some were sponsored.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

xamphear posted:

Money has to be a real problem for Mozilla right now. Their current contract with Google ends in November of this year, and there's absolutely no way that they're going to be able to re-sign it at the current $300 million a year rate. Firefox simply doesn't have the market share it used to, and it's been losing it to Google's own Chrome. That combined with them pulling this ad thing out of their rear end must mean someone over at Mozilla is scrambling.
I don't think this is true, Google and others pay based on the amount of traffic sent to them, not some flat fee. While Firefox market share is declining actual user counts are up year-on-year, as is affiliate revenue. It just doesn't make sense for Google to mess up this relationship, because they get the users whether they come to them via Chrome or Firefox. That's the big thing that confuses me about why this move smacks of desperation, everything I've heard said Mozilla had secure revenue sources and was sitting on a big fat pile of cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

xamphear posted:

Edit: This ads idea seems super poorly thought out. Don't they realize that the moment they turn it on, multiple forks will spring out of the ether? Everyone will switch to FreeFox (unless the ads can be turned off by something as simple as an about.config setting) and that'll be the end of that for a huge portion of their current user base. Only new users will ever see them, and why the heck would a new user pick an ad-supported program (in my day we called that stuff "adware") over Chrome?

If you actually use the browser, the ads would automatically go away because your browsing history and bookmarks would be higher-priority than pre-populated URLs (presumably). As much as I think it's a dumb idea, it's also mostly an expansion of sponsored search engines in the search box. In fact, a smart person on the Mozilla newsgroups suggested that this should start out like the search box did: with some links that Mozilla just really likes and thinks are valuable, but with no sponsorships. Once everything is worked out, then start thinking about sponsored links.

I'd still rather Mozilla not do this, but that blog post was just about the worst possible way to handle it. (Although even handled well, it runs really close to being an attractive nuisance, where inexperienced users are coaxed into signing up for sponsored services whose goal is to collect and sell their personal data.)

Here's a mockup from one of the UX people to give you a better idea of what it would look like:

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 13, 2014