Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Episode 1 has some of the most memorable music from Star Wars, I think. Especially if you've played the video games based in the time period of or directly after the prequel trilogy.

I mean dam.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy9OtCsMqMs

You can hardly go wrong with a John Williams score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Yeah, as bad as the Phantom Menace is that loving score is awesome. Especially Duel of the Fates. That piece stands up there with anything else Williams has composed.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Coffee And Pie posted:

I found a 4-album Kings of Leon box set for $40 earlier, but I've only heard Aha Shake Heartbreak, I like that album though. Worth the money?

Their first three albums are great.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Avoid the album with Sex On Fire and the one after that.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm honestly tempted to just buy it, sell it on eBay, and use the money to buy a few albums I really want. I'm going to wait until I get paid on Wednesday, and if it's still there, I'll consider it serendipity and buy it.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm honestly tempted to just buy it, sell it on eBay, and use the money to buy a few albums I really want. I'm going to wait until I get paid on Wednesday, and if it's still there, I'll consider it serendipity and buy it.

Flipping is a lovely thing to do.

"Oh, but my bills! My house! My family!!" - you're trash don't speak to me.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 9, 2014

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

WASDF posted:

Flipping is a lovely thing to do.

"Oh, but my bills! My house! My family!!" - you're trash don't speak to me.

Haha I would only post it for about $60, so I'd still make a profit and undercut most of the eBay sellers by a pretty good amount, assuming someone will buy it.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Regarding B&N, is there any way to get their search results not to include "Marketplace" sellers?

On the low end they had a $1.99 (??) preorder of some ambient noise type album, and then 800 pages of cruft. This particular trend makes it pretty hard to browse.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Welp, looks like I have a new favorite in the collection- not because I bought anything new, but because Wayne Coyne drew all over my copy of The Soft Bulletin at Newbury Comics today. :smug:

He's just the nicest dude. The wait took forever but it's because he took the time to dote on every single person there. We had like a 10 minute conversation about his mindset behind "Race For the Prize."

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I hope that Music on Vinyl hurries up and releases the rest of the Dream Theater catalogue because I really want to have a vinyl copy of Awake but I don't want it enough to spend $300 on it.

Does anyone know if Stratovarius' Elysium sounds good on vinyl? I really hate this thing a lot of record companies do with vinyl releases of recent albums where they take the loudness war shithouse CD master, run it through an ADC, and press it. Way to go the extra mile, guys. :effort:

deadhoarse
Oct 18, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Welp, looks like I have a new favorite in the collection- not because I bought anything new, but because Wayne Coyne drew all over my copy of The Soft Bulletin at Newbury Comics today. :smug:

Very cool, would you mind posting a pic? I'm bring my copy of Soft Bulletin tonight...I was debating a black or silver pen, since there's so much black on the cover.

edit: Wayne's such an awesome guy!

deadhoarse fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 11, 2014

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Here is a download of the new Xiu Xiu album Angel Guts: Red Classroom since I already have the digital from the instant download after ordering. Very dark and bleak album, but I like it.

https://www.polyvinylrecords.com/iheartvinyl
2744ZV9QU8

\/\/\/ PM'd you the correction: I forgot a "2" in the code, so of course it is invalid. Sorry bout that \/\/\/

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 11, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
^^ you rule, thank you

Fors Yard posted:

Here is a download of the new Xiu Xiu album Angel Guts: Red Classroom since I already have the digital from the instant download after ordering. Very dark and bleak album, but I like it.

https://www.polyvinylrecords.com/iheartvinyl
2744ZV9QU8

Whoever took it before me better thank you because I really wanted this :mad:

I mean, I get invalid code so I assume it's been taken.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 11, 2014

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
I've never even heard Quasimoto and I feel inclined to buy this:

http://www.stonesthrow.com/news/2014/02/quasimoto-talkin-poo poo-45

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hey you guys!

I picked up a reissue of Body Count - s/t. So anyway, it's a European release but I can't find anything about it other than a single discogs entry. Basically what I want to know is if it's a bootleg. Everything about it seems legit, anyway.

This is the discogs page: http://www.discogs.com/Body-Count-Body-Count/release/5174938

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 11, 2014

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

fromsinkingsands posted:

Haha that's amazing. I bought it just so I can have a go-to record when I want to show someone "that crazy record I have".

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

fromsinkingsands posted:

Quasimoto is the pitched-up alter ego of rapper/producer Madlib. The few things I've heard from him have been great. He did a bootleg remix 12" that I love, and the early Quasimoto had some really good tracks.

That plus my fondness for unusual editions is making my wallet come out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEHRz_4ROLQ

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Glass Houses is like my 3rd favorite Billy Joel record, which isn't saying much. Never been much of a fan of the ol' piano man. The Stranger is a pretty good album, though. Big drop off after that one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Songs in the Attic is brilliant. It's basically a live take on some of his best early songs from before he got famous played with a fantastic backing band for an audience that largely arrived after The Stranger. But yeah, there's otherwise kind of a drop post-1980, but not nearly as bad as the one that happened in the late '80s/early '90s.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Well Downeaster "Alexa" is one of my favourite songs so :colbert:

David McCallum The Edge sample spotted on the Quasimoto B side.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 12, 2014

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Songs in the Attic is brilliant. It's basically a live take on some of his best early songs from before he got famous played with a fantastic backing band for an audience that largely arrived after The Stranger. But yeah, there's otherwise kind of a drop post-1980, but not nearly as bad as the one that happened in the late '80s/early '90s.

His 80s stuff was pretty good. The Bridge is a huge slide, but Glass Houses is Billy Joel trying to take on New Wave and Punk and making a killer album, with cuts like "All For Leyna" and "Sometimes a Fantasy" holding their own against the big huge singles. The Nylon Curtain has Laura, which is amazing, and it's another pretty strong album.

And then An Innocent Man has Uptown Girl.

Why would you not be satisfied with Uptown Girl? The presence of Uptown Girl makes it one of the greatest albums ever.

Edit: I mean, if you're going to own Glass Houses, you might as well, right?
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-59808-billy-joel-glass-houses-numbered-limited-edition-180g-45rpm-2lp.aspx

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Oh, don't get me wrong- the '80s have some of his best stuff. "Allentown" is one of my favorite songs ever. I just meant that '80s Joel isn't as consistently great as '70s Joel, and a lot of that catalog hasn't aged nearly as well.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

fromsinkingsands posted:

bam. thanks for the scoop, this looks amazing.

recently pre ordered this LP in "astro" : https://captcharecords.bandcamp.com/album/no-curtains

full album is streamable from the site, it's the most over the top psych rock (in the best possible way) that I've heard in a while.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

fromsinkingsands posted:

Bought the gently caress out of this, never heard of the band.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Everyone here who hasn't heard of Quasimoto needs to listen to The Unseen ASAP. Lord Quas is the poo poo.

Madlib is a master sampler and one of the most prolific beat makers in hip-hop.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

His 80s stuff was pretty good. The Bridge is a huge slide, but Glass Houses is Billy Joel trying to take on New Wave and Punk and making a killer album, with cuts like "All For Leyna" and "Sometimes a Fantasy" holding their own against the big huge singles. The Nylon Curtain has Laura, which is amazing, and it's another pretty strong album.

Why would you not be satisfied with Uptown Girl? The presence of Uptown Girl makes it one of the greatest albums ever.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-59808-billy-joel-glass-houses-numbered-limited-edition-180g-45rpm-2lp.aspx

I was listening to the classic rock station in my car yesterday (my iPod doesn't work anymore when it's cold) and Billy Joel is coming to town and the DJ guy was going on about he's playing his classic rock stuff instead of 'crap like Uptown Girl'. gently caress that radio station.

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 12, 2014

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

eggsovereasy posted:

I was listening to the classic rock station in my car yesterday (my iPod doesn't work anymore when it's cold) and Billy Joel is coming to town and the DJ guy was going on about he's playing his classic rock stuff instead of 'crap like Uptown Girl'. gently caress that radio station.

Barely related, but I'm also stuck listening to the radio when I'm in my car. The classic rock station here played Staind today. Staind.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I really like Glass Houses, but man, Close to the Borderline just seems to have the wrong riff. With those lyrics, you'd think he'd go for something low, tense and mean. It throws me off whenever I put that record on.

I still say Streetlife Serenade is massively underrated, though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

I had a cd of An Innocent Man that was mislabeled, and every time I'd try to play Uptown Girl it would play The Longest Time. Maybe they were all like that?

That being said, Billy Joel kinda stinks. Like, not Eagles level stink, but he's the lovely kind of classic rock format garbage. He's the opposite of Chicago, which is the good kind of classic rock format garbage. To bring this back around, a few weeks ago I found a mint copy of Chicago IV at a thrift shop. Just records, no box and posters, but it looks like it was never played.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BigFactory posted:

That being said, Billy Joel kinda stinks. Like, not Eagles level stink, but he's the lovely kind of classic rock format garbage. He's the opposite of Chicago, which is the good kind of classic rock format garbage. To bring this back around, a few weeks ago I found a mint copy of Chicago IV at a thrift shop. Just records, no box and posters, but it looks like it was never played.

Joel went off my radar when he tried to get "serious". Love Glass Houses, though. The Eagles were fine until The Long Run. That massively sucked. One of the first CDs I ever bought was Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975. It was, at the time, one of the best-sounding CDs I'd ever heard.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

Joel went off my radar when he tried to get "serious". Love Glass Houses, though. The Eagles were fine until The Long Run. That massively sucked. One of the first CDs I ever bought was Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975. It was, at the time, one of the best-sounding CDs I'd ever heard.

Whenever I get an itch that a Billy Joel song can scratch, there's a Randy Newman or Paul Simon or Gordon Lightfoot or Tom Waits or Warren Zevon song that will do the job better.

And I don't know what to tell you about the Eagles. I've never gotten the appeal. Especially their hits.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
There's always the Gypsy Kings' Hotel California.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

BigFactory posted:

Whenever I get an itch that a Billy Joel song can scratch, there's a Randy Newman or Paul Simon or Gordon Lightfoot or Tom Waits or Warren Zevon song that will do the job better.

And I don't know what to tell you about the Eagles. I've never gotten the appeal. Especially their hits.

Isn't that Eagles album one of the top five best selling albums of all time?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

BigFactory posted:

You're not a dad born in the early 60s is likely the reason. They're not really the band that seems to span generations with popularity. Which in my opinion is the definition of the term "dad rock"

Paper With Lines posted:

Yep, which is why it and "Thriller" have to have at least 5 copies in everyone's collection.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Paper With Lines posted:

Their first greatest hits record is, like, the best selling record of all time. Possibly excepting Thriller.

(factchecking - It's #3 behind Thriller and Dark Side of the Moon based on sales claimed by the recording industry, it's #2 behind Thriller based on confirmed sales numbers.)

The Eagles...I liked them as a kid. Nowadays, there's a few things of theirs I still really like (everything off of Desperado except the singles, Already Gone, In the City, Victim of Love, etc) and I realize it's more that I like everyone in the Eagles who isn't Henley or Frey. (And even Glenn Frey is okay sometimes.)

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-vwPuiILBc
Basically, this is everyone's opinion.

Creedence is cool, though.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
The only good thing The Eagles have done is supporting Randy Newman on Good Old Boys.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Here's some news pertinent to the vinyl thread.

Death Waltz is going to re-issue the Twin Peaks, and Fire Walk With Me soundtracks. I'm into it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

This destroys. Hope it's not some limited edition bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

alg posted:

This destroys. Hope it's not some limited edition bullshit

Technically all Death Waltz releases are limited edition, but they tend to be so niche that they stick around long enough. And between all the different color discs and standard black they usually press plenty for anything. I wouldn't worry about it.