Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Batista posted:

Back at Wrestlemania 24, how did people take Undertaker beating Edge's streak at Mania? Were there people who thought it was stupid because they should have kept Edge's streak going, or was it a foregone conclusion he was going to lose?

Edge is one of the people I've bought as having a shot at breaking the streak. I didn't have a problem with him losing though, and don't remember anybody else taking issue with it. Outside of Edge, Orton, and the 3rd HHH match, I haven't really bought anybody breaking it since they started mentioning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Batista posted:

Back at Wrestlemania 24, how did people take Undertaker beating Edge's streak at Mania? Were there people who thought it was stupid because they should have kept Edge's streak going, or was it a foregone conclusion he was going to lose?

Edge jobbed all the time and his only singles match of note at Wrestlemania up to that point was against Mick Foley. So it was mostly "eh."

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
At what point did Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak become a thing? I imagine that it started as a happenstance until someone noticed and it became a tradition.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Ghostpilot posted:

At what point did Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak become a thing? I imagine that it started as a happenstance until someone noticed and it became a tradition.

I think it was recognized as a streak starting around X-Seven, X-8??

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Batista posted:

I think it was recognized as a streak starting around X-Seven, X-8??

Pretty sure his having not lost at mania was a throwaway line from JR at X-7, and it was first used for a storyline with Orton at mania 21.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It kinda became a thing after he beat Flair and had ten, and made some gestures after the match to that effect. Not long after that we started getting "X Men have stepped up, and X men have been set down" promos.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Junpei Hyde posted:

Pretty sure his having not lost at mania was a throwaway line from JR at X-7, and it was first used for a storyline with Orton at mania 21.
It wasn't just a throw away line, Triple H brought it up and it was a small part of their feud leading to Wrestlemania 17.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

It wasn't just a throw away line, Triple H brought it up and it was a small part of their feud leading to Wrestlemania 17.

Wasn't Triple H supposed to win that match, but was changed because he brought Michaels back too early?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Wasn't Triple H supposed to win that match, but was changed because he brought Michaels back too early?

Too early or was he once again too hosed up to perform?

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

bobkatt013 posted:

Too early or was he once again too hosed up to perform?

Too hosed up.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It kinda became a thing after he beat Flair and had ten, and made some gestures after the match to that effect. Not long after that we started getting "X Men have stepped up, and X men have been set down" promos.

Wolverine vs undertaker for the streak!

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Wolverine vs undertaker for the streak!

Punk's not coming back.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
I've been back watching wrestling for about a year now after not watching at all really for years and somehow something only dawned on me the other day so I thought I'd ask in this thread:

When did WWE move the ring steps from being in the oposite corners to both being on the same side? (opposite the hard camera)

I always remember them being opposite each other for the corners of tag teams (and the toy WWF ring had them like that) but maybe it's been changed for over a decade and I just didn't spot it.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

My guess would be so that they had more space on the side of the hard camera to do whatever spots they needed to do there.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
So, my buddies and I love watching cool wrestling, and we also love cohesive narratives, so tournaments own.

What are some really good wrestling tournaments? WWE, puro, lucha, indie, whatever. We've seen King of Trios 2009, the J-Crown, the Super J Cup 1994, RINGS Mega Battle Tournament 1992, the 1989 G1 Climax/NJPW World Cup Tournament, the original IWA King of the Deathmatch (had a gorehound join us for a tiny bit), and parts of the 2013 G1 Climax.

what we're looking for in particular:
-More American/European stuff, including WWE
-Some stuff from puro companies besides NJPW (especially AJPW) (though more good NJPW ones would be nice too)
-Lucha
-Women's wrestling (probably an emphasis on Joshi)
-not garbage wrestling.

Not every match has to be good, or anything. Just an overall fun package. If one or two matches are particularly heinous, we'll just learn to live with fast-forwarding.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ghostpilot posted:

I love this one. The implication is that Hogan's crazy for seeing the Warrior in the mirror. But the commentators could see him and we could see him. So that would mean that Bischoff was crazy, but he was set up to be the straight man in the bit.

:psyduck:

How do you gently caress that up to have the complete opposite of the intended effect?

I choose to believe that this was just one of Ultimate Warrior's many powers given to him by his Dark Gods. The very specific ability to appear in mirrors but be invisible to Eric Bischoff. Obviously it didn't get much play during his WWF run.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

LvK posted:

So, my buddies and I love watching cool wrestling, and we also love cohesive narratives, so tournaments own.

What are some really good wrestling tournaments? WWE, puro, lucha, indie, whatever. We've seen King of Trios 2009, the J-Crown, the Super J Cup 1994, RINGS Mega Battle Tournament 1992, the 1989 G1 Climax/NJPW World Cup Tournament, the original IWA King of the Deathmatch (had a gorehound join us for a tiny bit), and parts of the 2013 G1 Climax.

-Some stuff from puro companies besides NJPW (especially AJPW) (though more good NJPW ones would be nice too)
-Lucha
-not garbage wrestling.

Not every match has to be good, or anything. Just an overall fun package. If one or two matches are particularly heinous, we'll just learn to live with fast-forwarding.

King Of Europe Cup 2007.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Was the Ultimate Warrior from outer space? I've never gotten a clear answer to this.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He was from Parts Unknown. As far as I gathered, this was basically Valhalla where Warrior's branch of Elder Gods sent him forth to be their avatar and beat up Ho Kogan.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LvK posted:

-Lucha
-not garbage wrestling.

I've really enjoyed NJPW's Best of the Super Juniors the past couple years.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

LvK posted:

-Lucha
-not garbage wrestling.

PWG's Battle of Los Angeles 2012 is really really great and even the worst match is still good. It's good every year but 2012 was next level.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 13, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Was the Ultimate Warrior from outer space? I've never gotten a clear answer to this.
According to his interviews, the Ultimate Warrior "was sent in a capsule, from a place far from here." He claims that he was given the power of the Ultimate Warrior in "[his] final meeting with the gods from the heavens above." He's also said that he can "feel the power, floating through the veins, of the warriors," and that he "feel[s] the injection from the gods above," further implying that these mysterious gods are the source of his power. To date, Warrior's gods have yet to be implicated in any of the steroid scandals surrounding the WWF/WWE.

Warrior made frequent references groups of "warriors" other than himself. Information on these other warriors is scant, consisting entirely of cryptic, poetic references. Warrior has stated that "the family that [he] live[s] for only breathes the air that smells of combat," and that he "looks to the skeletons of warriors past." He has also discussed loading a spaceship with rocket fuel so that it could be boarded by the warriors.

The emergent narrative seems to be that the Ultimate Warrior is a member of a caste of slave-soldiers, who serve a technologically advanced alien race whom they do not understand and regard with religious reverence. The Ultimate Warrior, as his name implies, is possibly the greatest and the last surviving member of this race. Warrior has said that he "live[s] for anger and frustration" and that "nightmares are the best part of [his] day." In context with his statements about his fellow warriors, this implies post-traumatic stress resulting from conflicts fought under orders from his alien masters. His statements clearly imply that they used their technology to grant him physical enhancements, explaining his ability to survive suffocation, cobra venom, and poisoning by an expert practitioner of voodoo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Which begs the question: How much of the that is Hellwig taking creative liberties and how much is Vince's coked up ramblings?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Which begs the question: How much of the that is Hellwig taking creative liberties and how much is Vince's coked up ramblings?

Considering that Warrior has continued with his insane bullshit long after leaving WWF/E (WCW, his website, his speaking tours) I'm fairly certain it's the former.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also Randy Savage hit him with a scepter, which resulted in stitches but the doctors left a piece of it in his head. This gave Warrior the ability to predict the entire course of the Savage retirement feud, including Sherri's turn and Elizabeth coming back. All kidding aside that was kind of neat. You'd never be able to tell what "YOU WILL FALL MACHO KING, BUT IN BETRAYAL COMES YOUR SALVATION" meant until after the fact.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

LvK posted:

-Lucha
-not garbage wrestling.

2004 TPI has Joe, Strong, Nigel, Claudio/Cesaro, Sabin, Styles, Sydal/Bourne, Supa D, Hero, Punk, Aries, Shelley, and Dragonson/Bryan. About as loaded an indy tournament as you could get.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Also Randy Savage hit him with a scepter, which resulted in stitches but the doctors left a piece of it in his head. This gave Warrior the ability to predict the entire course of the Savage retirement feud, including Sherri's turn and Elizabeth coming back. All kidding aside that was kind of neat. You'd never be able to tell what "YOU WILL FALL MACHO KING, BUT IN BETRAYAL COMES YOUR SALVATION" meant until after the fact.

That whole feud and especially match is still amazing. The part where Warrior is just completely lost, looking to the heavens, because his gods have abandoned him, and allowed Savage to kick out of the splash, is awesome.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The DDT tourneys are fun...as is the Brian Kendrick tourney "King of Flight".

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

LvK posted:

-Lucha
-not garbage wrestling.

You've seen KOT 2009, which is one of their best, but I'd also recommend King of Trios 2012. Fairly solid the whole weekend, and the tourney finals is just hot from start to finish.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
As a fan of the old Cruiserweight division in WCW, whatever happened to that in general? Juiced out of existence? Are there any companies that have non heavyweight belts?

Come to think of it I am not sure if the WWE ever had a title like that.

Edit2 : what was the differentiator between Cruiserweights and heavyweights? Or was it an excuse to have another belt floating around.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 13, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

As a fan of the old Cruiserweight division in WCW, whatever happened to that in general? Juiced out of existence? Are there any companies that have non heavyweight belts?

Japanese companies do.

Prince Devitt and Kota Ibushi who you may have heard this forum rave about are the two most recent jr. heavy champions in New Japan. Ultimo Dragon who I'm sure you remember from WCW is the current All Japan jr. heavy champ.

WWE had a light heavyweight championship before using the WCW belt after the buyout, but it was hardly used when the WWF acually controlled it. The longest reigning champ was Gillberg, a jobber parody of Goldberg.

What's funny is that it was at one time part of the J-crown group of belts and Dragon actually defended it in WCW although the specific belt was never mentioned.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

Halloween Jack posted:

According to his interviews, the Ultimate Warrior "was sent in a capsule, from a place far from here." He claims that he was given the power of the Ultimate Warrior in "[his] final meeting with the gods from the heavens above." He's also said that he can "feel the power, floating through the veins, of the warriors," and that he "feel[s] the injection from the gods above," further implying that these mysterious gods are the source of his power. To date, Warrior's gods have yet to be implicated in any of the steroid scandals surrounding the WWF/WWE.

Warrior made frequent references groups of "warriors" other than himself. Information on these other warriors is scant, consisting entirely of cryptic, poetic references. Warrior has stated that "the family that [he] live[s] for only breathes the air that smells of combat," and that he "looks to the skeletons of warriors past." He has also discussed loading a spaceship with rocket fuel so that it could be boarded by the warriors.

The emergent narrative seems to be that the Ultimate Warrior is a member of a caste of slave-soldiers, who serve a technologically advanced alien race whom they do not understand and regard with religious reverence. The Ultimate Warrior, as his name implies, is possibly the greatest and the last surviving member of this race. Warrior has said that he "live[s] for anger and frustration" and that "nightmares are the best part of [his] day." In context with his statements about his fellow warriors, this implies post-traumatic stress resulting from conflicts fought under orders from his alien masters. His statements clearly imply that they used their technology to grant him physical enhancements, explaining his ability to survive suffocation, cobra venom, and poisoning by an expert practitioner of voodoo.

This is one of the best posts I've ever read.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

This is awesome analysis. Thank you for this.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Edit2 : what was the differentiator between Cruiserweights and heavyweights? Or was it an excuse to have another belt floating around.

dragon gate is basically a promotion of cruiserweights

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Unlucky7 posted:

Cruiserweights are a big thing in Lucha, and some lucha indies even have flyweight and bantamweight belts, along with light heavyweight and middleweight.

Just like boxing, but not quite as corrupt.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Aubergine Mage posted:

Just like boxing, but not quite as corrupt.

debatable

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

debatable

Especially since boxind and wrestling share an athletic commission in Mexico.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

oatgan posted:

debatable

I try not to think too hard about it because the idea of something being just as corrupt as boxing makes my head hurt

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Weight classes. It comes from boxing - heavyweight has no weight limits (though it's generally 200+ lbs), cruiserweight is specifically under 200 lbs. (The next lowest weight class is Light Heavyweight, at under 175 lbs.) This being wrestling, though, the weights can basically be invented and the division boundaries moved at any time, so what it really meant was "flips" vs "no flips," except in special cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I thought it was really cool how they had a thing for like a month of Matt Hardy trying to cut to 220 so he could be in the Cruiserweight division in like 2005 or whatever. It's something they don't mention a lot.