Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I want an Anova but using a pot on my stovetop with my Thermapen, and the food in Ziplocs is working pretty goddamn well if I don't say so. Tough to justify $200 when I'm getting incredible results with what I already have!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

granpa yum posted:

Where'd you find a Vacmaster that low? Cheapest I've seen is 550 shipped. I'm probably going to buy one in a week or two so I would love to save a bit.

I think webstaurantstore with both a holiday coupon and their normal free shipping promotion. It was a great deal. Amazon has occasionally had it for a deal too, and prime shipping, but not around the time I bought.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Use oil instead of butter, it will give it a much better sear. If you want to add butter, finish with it instead.

What about clarified butter? It has a higher smoke point than olive and canola oil. Sure it's a little more involved, but it could make for more flavor since you're cooking with fat at that point.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

SlayVus posted:

What about clarified butter? It has a higher smoke point than olive and canola oil. Sure it's a little more involved, but it could make for more flavor since you're cooking with fat at that point.

I have been using clarified butter and EVOO mixed about 50/50 together with good results on the sear and great flavor.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

dotster posted:

I have been using clarified butter and EVOO mixed about 50/50 together with good results on the sear and great flavor.
There's no reason to do this. The smoke point of the olive oil doesn't change.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

No Wave posted:

There's no reason to do this. The smoke point of the olive oil doesn't change.

Yeah, that's an urban legend, I've heard it lots of times before.

It will smoke less than pure low-smoke-point oil will, but it'll still burn.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

This leads us to the next logical question:
Can you use the puddle machine to clarify butter?

Google just seems to have lots of information on how to infuse :420: into butter this way, but not actually clarifying.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

This leads us to the next logical question:
Can you use the puddle machine to clarify butter?

Google just seems to have lots of information on how to infuse :420: into butter this way, but not actually clarifying.

sure, but why bother? just spend 60 seconds with a double boiler.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

sure, but why bother? just spend 60 seconds with a double boiler.
Or microwave

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Use oil instead of butter, it will give it a much better sear. If you want to add butter, finish with it instead.

Ok, I used to use grapeseed oil so I could just do stupid high heat but I find that I don't get that ~nice brown sear~ as much. Even if it's due to dirty burnt milk solids I think it made a more appealing-looking product. Any ideas for how to get this with oil?

nwin posted:

Hmm. What temp do you cook them at/how long? Same for sear time. Also, do you put them in an ice bath before sear?

I cook at 140 for 4 hours. Same for 15-30 secs a side I guess. I haven't tried an ice bath prior.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Or you could just use the butter to make brown butter, then pour off the clarified liquid and reserve the yummy brown solids.

Personally when I sear I use rendered bacon fat. Gives it a slight smoky flavor.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Hed posted:

Ok, I used to use grapeseed oil so I could just do stupid high heat but I find that I don't get that ~nice brown sear~ as much. Even if it's due to dirty burnt milk solids I think it made a more appealing-looking product. Any ideas for how to get this with oil?

I cook at 140 for 4 hours. Same for 15-30 secs a side I guess. I haven't tried an ice bath prior.

Just do it at medium-high heat, no need for stupid high heat.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Hed posted:

The cooler they are, the longer you can sear them...

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

No Wave posted:

The cooler they are, the longer you can sear them...

So go from puddle to ice bath in the bag, chill for a bit and then sear in rocket hot pan for as short as possible to get crust?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

So go from puddle to ice bath in the bag, chill for a bit and then sear in rocket hot pan for as short as possible to get crust?

Medium-high heat is better than too-hot. I don't bother chilling, just dry well and don't use a meat that is too thin.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

Usually I pull from the puddler, put in the fridge, finish whatever else needs to be finished (10 to 20 minutes or so) and then drain, towel, and sear medium-hot. Total estimate but the meat's usually at about a hundred degrees when I do the sear.

If you have a thermapeen you can sort of figure out what works for you. If you're unsatisfied with sear the other thing to check is how dry the meat is.

More oil = better sear because more of the meat will be getting heated (especially on something ultra-lean like a cooked chicken breast), rocket heat not necessary (400 degrees is plenty)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 14, 2014

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sansaires are shipping in the US.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Chemmy posted:

Sansaires are shipping in the US.

Got my email just now and came to post this. Since I am within an hour's drive of where these shipped from (or so I think) I may be sous vide-ing this weekend.
I cannot freaking wait.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Just got my shipping notice as well, anyone mind recommending a specific cut of meat to cook when it arrives? preferably something that takes < 5 hours.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Full Circle posted:

Just got my shipping notice as well, anyone mind recommending a specific cut of meat to cook when it arrives? preferably something that takes < 5 hours.

I made a bigass 2 1/2lb ribeye steak, 130f for about 5 hours then sear the hell out of it. Served simply with wilted spinach, smashed potatoes and a red wine reduction.

It was the best steak I've ever eaten.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Ultimate Mango posted:

Got my email just now and came to post this. Since I am within an hour's drive of where these shipped from (or so I think) I may be sous vide-ing this weekend.
I cannot freaking wait.

They're shipping from Los Angeles, correct?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
YESSS thank you sous vide thread, just checked my email and it's shipped. :swoon:

I actually get a bit more extreme when I do sous vide personally. I'll let the steak dry out in the fridge overnight, sous vide it, then let the steak dry out again and chill in the fridge overnight. Gets a beautiful crust when it's finally seared. Overall it takes like, 3 days.

gently caress I'll need to buy a rack of ribeye then...

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
Yay, I woke up to my sansaire shipping email! By coincidence I decided to do a terrible approximation of puddling in my sink for dinner last night. The end result was pretty good, but I'm going to enjoy the control, and not having to babysit a small steak for 90 minutes, constantly putting new water on the boil.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
So my girlfriend went to the store and picked up some short ribs but got what I guess is called flanken style. I've never seen or used this cut before. Should I sous vide these or toss them in a slow cooker for more of a braise?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Flanken is the traditional cut for Korean food, maybe start there?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Bulgogi marinade and grill em! They're too thin for Sous vide imo.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Shadowhand00 posted:

They're shipping from Los Angeles, correct?

Yes, mine showed Ontario which is a little east of Los Angeles proper. Didn't show up yesterday, but maybe today.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Okay rather silly question: Anyone know if I can sous vide a steak and take it on a transatlantic flight?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

ShadowCatboy posted:

Okay rather silly question: Anyone know if I can sous vide a steak and take it on a transatlantic flight?

Only if they are containers of 100ml or less

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Only if they are containers of 100ml or less

What? :raise:

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

You don't enjoy a good steak purée?

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
Is it a good idea to reheat a steak that was svizzled at 120º by svizzling it back to 120º?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

bear named tators posted:

Is it a good idea to reheat a steak that was svizzled at 120º by svizzling it back to 120º?

Only if you feel like making GBS threads your brains out or maybe dying.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

MrEnigma posted:

You don't enjoy a good steak purée?

I really have no idea what you guys mean. :(

120* is the point where bacterial growth primarily stops. It's not in the reasonable kill zone of 130* or so. I'd be wary of having a steak that raw done sous vide, but it isn't necessarily gonna kill you. What exactly is your planned setup?

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.

geetee posted:

Only if you feel like making GBS threads your brains out or maybe dying.

ShadowCatboy posted:

120* is the point where bacterial growth primarily stops. It's not in the reasonable kill zone of 130* or so. I'd be wary of having a steak that raw done sous vide, but it isn't necessarily gonna kill you. What exactly is your planned setup?

We did the initial cook at 120º and all was well. Figured it would be a bit of a stretch to do the reheat at the same temperature. Do folks generally reheat via SV or is that pretty much just done on the first cook? Never had SV leftovers before.

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Got my Sansaire today (Los Angeles area). It's bigger than I expected but pretty slick looking. I love turning the dial and watching the temperature change

Time to cook some eggs!

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
First time to 120 is a bit borderline to me. Chill and reheat? I personally would have reservations about eating or serving that.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Reheat from frozen, or do you actually mean leftovers?

Actual leftovers that sat around being partially eaten while cooling down then were eventually cooled back down to fridge/freezer temps sounds.. sketchy. Cooked and then ice bathed>frozen would be better, but 120 still sounds scary.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

We did the initial cook at 120º and all was well. Figured it would be a bit of a stretch to do the reheat at the same temperature. Do folks generally reheat via SV or is that pretty much just done on the first cook? Never had SV leftovers before.

What are you cooking that low? Practically raw steak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Steak is pretty nice at 50C. I wouldn't cook steak at that temp for longer than an hour and I certainly wouldn't hold it for long after.

It's probably also a good idea to sear the outside with a torch before doing that.

Basically if you want advice here: no that steak isn't safe. If you want to cook steaks at that temp you need to do more research into food safety. None of us want to be responsible for you getting sick.