Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Jackard posted:

If stackable amounts vary among stackable items, that seems very similar to weighting.

Weighted items leads to the knapsack problem; stacks of single-slot items don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

double nine posted:

So just so I understand completely: item management is limited to what items I want to keep available for the dungeon and send the rest to a bank account to be accessed at the next resting place?
Pretty much.

Jackard posted:

If stackable amounts vary among stackable items, that seems very similar to weighting.
It's one (visual) resource to manage instead of two (one visual, one numeric).

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

rope kid posted:

Just single slots, no weight, no Tetris. Each character has a limited number of slots and the rest can be offloaded into a general party stash. You can only withdraw from the stash at camps/inns/stores.

Can we easily select/move multiple stuff around? I've been playing NWN2 lately, and the vanilla inventory management is a drag. Life would be much easier if the inventory screen worked like windows explorer.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

rope kid posted:

Variable stacking. "Big" things (weapons, etc.) can't be stacked at all, with potions and other small things allowing big stacks.

Please tell me I can stack rings. And all ring-like items.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Magrov posted:

Can we easily select/move multiple stuff around? I've been playing NWN2 lately, and the vanilla inventory management is a drag. Life would be much easier if the inventory screen worked like windows explorer.

I really hope the inventory in PoE is nothing like NWN2, because I find that system so horrible to navigate, I just give up playing the game. I feel the same way about F:NV's inventory system, but I also can't stand list based inventories.

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013
There will be no romances in Project Eternity.

I think.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

There will be no romances in Project Eternity.

I think.

Ack not again we already spent like 5 pages on it

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I really hope the inventory in PoE is nothing like NWN2, because I find that system so horrible to navigate, I just give up playing the game. I feel the same way about F:NV's inventory system, but I also can't stand list based inventories.

List inventories are pretty awful and seem to generally be perpetuated by the fact that they map well to console controller schemes. Skyrim's inventory was the apex shitheap in that regard.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I hated the vanilla Skyrim UI, but SkyUI was fine. Great even. Lists can tell you a lot of information quickly and let you logically order things in a ton of different, useful ways.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I don't know about you guys but I can't wait to play this game. I have visions of a wizard incinerating dudes with a fireball and then a rogue kicking dead dude dust into another dudes eyes for the sneak attack. How good am I going to be at this turn based combat now I am no longer ten years old making a 14 strength ranger named Inigo Montoya who wielded that spider sword.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's not going to be turn-based anymore, instead everything goes on sort of their own timer-based systems and incorporate real-time with pause/slowdown.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

redweird posted:

I don't know about you guys but I can't wait to play this game. I have visions of a wizard incinerating dudes with a fireball and then a rogue kicking dead dude dust into another dudes eyes for the sneak attack. How good am I going to be at this turn based combat now I am no longer ten years old making a 14 strength ranger named Inigo Montoya who wielded that spider sword.

Wait wait, you're not going to make a ranger rogue named Inigo Montoya in this game?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

AnonSpore posted:

Wait wait, you're not going to make a ranger rogue named Inigo Montoya in this game?

Cyrano de Bergerac :colbert:

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

My nose precedes me...

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Scorchy posted:

Ack not again we already spent like 5 pages on it

List inventories are pretty awful and seem to generally be perpetuated by the fact that they map well to console controller schemes. Skyrim's inventory was the apex shitheap in that regard.

List Inventories loving rock when they're made from the ground up for a Mouse and Keyboard interface. Search by Text Field, customizable categories, sort by a huge amount of different values. You can make a List Inventory that has a folder structure (including shortcuts and user made folders) and you'd probably end up with the ultimate RPG inventory system.

Even Skyrims UI was turned into something great when the mods rolled out - so good in fact that they simply stole it for Elder Scrolls Online (and made it worse, but hey).

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

StashAugustine posted:

God drat it why didn't I think of this?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

SurrealityCheck posted:

My nose precedes me...

C'est un cap, c'est un pic, que dis-je, c'est une péninsule.

Best loving play ever. In PoE you can even have the matching hat from the movie with Depardieu.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

God drat it why didn't I think of this?

Huge nose trait required!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I make all my RPG characters with huge noses because I myself have a huge nose. I would appreciate this to be a character option in PoE plz ropekid tia

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I wonder if there are any spell or spell-like effects that destroy equipment in this game.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The Sharmat posted:

I wonder if there are any spell or spell-like effects that destroy equipment in this game.
No.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Good, viconias magic weapons being destroyed by sunlight immediately after joining ypur party was the most annoying poo poo ever

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Thank god! I assume the same logic extends to no xp loss/level drain/permanent stat loss?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Will it be possible to mod in more inventory spots for each character or will the skeuomorphic menus make that kind of thing prohibitively difficult?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

GreatGreen posted:

skeuomorphic

:stare:

...Well I learned a new word today.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

GetWellGamers posted:

:stare:

...Well I learned a new word today.

The word reminded me - if you'd like to learn some more new words and watch something interesting check out this video from GDC 2013:

Crafting Destruction: The Evolution of the Dead Space User Interface

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

hey rope kid can I dress my barbarian up in ridiculously foppish clothing for bonuses?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Agean90 posted:

hey rope kid can I dress my barbarian up in ridiculously foppish clothing for bonuses?

Pretty sure that rope kid has previously indicates he loves Landsknechte, so the answer is probably going to be "yes".

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I think that you won't have Landsknecht armor™ but you could mix different armor and get similar effect.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Disco Infiva posted:

I think that you won't have Landsknecht armor™ but you could mix different armor and get similar effect.

Amazing the Landsknechte have managed to maintain their trademark this long. They must have a great legal team.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Rope kid can I be a landskneckt with a frog helm? This is important.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
So are we going to meet Sesame or not. This is a vital element of my Kickstarter oversight.

Also, has there been any mention of the overworld design. Is it a map of destinations you can select freely with mostly random encounters like BG1/2?

Mehrunes fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Feb 14, 2014

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Airfoil posted:

Amazing the Landsknechte have managed to maintain their trademark this long. They must have a great legal team.

Their courtroom performance leaves much to be desired, but the 2 handed swords make their negotiators fairly effective.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Were multiple in-game currencies ever confirmed? Or am I imagining that?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Mehrunes posted:

So are we going to meet Sesame or not.
You can meet her here: http://tinyurl.com/lzp7got

Gyshall posted:

Were multiple in-game currencies ever confirmed? Or am I imagining that?
You find various currencies of different cultures/values in the world but they all convert to cp (copper pieces) when you pick them up. Copper pands and skeyts are the most common coins (Dyrwoodan and Aedyran, respectively) worth 1cp. Glanfathans use larger copper coins, called awlds, worth 2cp. After that are the Vailian silver lusce and the Aedyran silver fenning, worth 3cp and 6cp, respectively. Then there are a bunch of gold coins: the Vailian suole and oble (worth 9cp/18cp), the Dyrwoodan duc, and the Aedyran scelling (both 12cp). Glanfathans also rarely use larger "coins" made of adra given as tokens of gratitude by the anamfatha of the tribes. Those are called enîachs and are worth 60cp.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Will there be fractional conversions?

And people in game whining that converting to the copper piece whole number system will be too hard to understand?

Octo1
May 7, 2009
A bunch of rogue attacks have been described as Full Attacks, what does that mean in PoE?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Full attacks always use both weapons, if two weapons are equipped.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

rope kid posted:

You can meet her here: http://tinyurl.com/lzp7got
You find various currencies of different cultures/values in the world but they all convert to cp (copper pieces) when you pick them up. Copper pands and skeyts are the most common coins (Dyrwoodan and Aedyran, respectively) worth 1cp. Glanfathans use larger copper coins, called awlds, worth 2cp. After that are the Vailian silver lusce and the Aedyran silver fenning, worth 3cp and 6cp, respectively. Then there are a bunch of gold coins: the Vailian suole and oble (worth 9cp/18cp), the Dyrwoodan duc, and the Aedyran scelling (both 12cp). Glanfathans also rarely use larger "coins" made of adra given as tokens of gratitude by the anamfatha of the tribes. Those are called enîachs and are worth 60cp.

Cool. I'm playing New Vegas right now (again) and I just really like having the multiple currencies, it is a great subtle mechanic.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Are there any games with multiple currencies where which one you use is important depending on where you are? That might be a neat idea for a future Eternity game, have it take place at an intersection between three countries' borders, and money from X is either unusable at Y or will only buy a fraction of what it would in X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

2house2fly posted:

Are there any games with multiple currencies where which one you use is important depending on where you are? That might be a neat idea for a future Eternity game, have it take place at an intersection between three countries' borders, and money from X is either unusable at Y or will only buy a fraction of what it would in X.
Secret of Evermore had it if I'm not mistaken.

• Locked thread