Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Spiteski posted:

I found this far too funny not to share.

But in other news, I am about to go see our(nz) own double Grammy winner live tonight. I'll let you know how it is, though I am confident the festival is going to be amazing whether she smashes it out the park or not. Chvrches, Doprah, HAIM, Lorde, Cat Power. Absolutely killer lineup.

Wasn't all that already on Monday? It's just Lorde's own concert tonight I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Wandle Cax posted:

Wasn't all that already on Monday? It's just Lorde's own concert tonight I thought.

:aaa:

So what the crap am I going to tonight?

vvvvv: That'll be why the trademe tickets were so cheap. Well, I'll still have fun. :woop:

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 29, 2014

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Spiteski posted:

:aaa:

So what the crap am I going to tonight?

Just Lorde herself I believe. There might be an opening act i'm not sure.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Emeli Sande's CD still holds up great and I'm sad she never really made it in the US :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember being convinced that "Next To Me" and "Read All About It" would be as big in 2012 as "Rolling In the Deep" and "Someone Like You" were in 2011; I guess Adele dominated for too long for anyone similar-sounding to get a proper look in.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I think Heaven could've been a decent hit on US radio. What a glorious song...

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

So who's ready for Bruno Mars doing the Super Bowl halftime show??

I think he's going to put on a great performance as always, but he's going to get absolutely eviscerated by sports fans. He's not an aging dadrock icon so of course they're going to be unhappy. I'm still not sure why the Red Hot Chili Peppers are gonna be there but it should be fun.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

PUGGERNAUT posted:

So who's ready for Bruno Mars doing the Super Bowl halftime show??

I think he's going to put on a great performance as always, but he's going to get absolutely eviscerated by sports fans. He's not an aging dadrock icon so of course they're going to be unhappy. I'm still not sure why the Red Hot Chili Peppers are gonna be there but it should be fun.

Just finished watching. Bruno did an awesome job, but you could tell the Chilli Peppers didn't belong there.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Maremidon posted:

Just finished watching. Bruno did an awesome job, but you could tell the Chilli Peppers didn't belong there.

Yeah, good lord they really brought the show down. It would've been great if it was just Bruno.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Why were the Chili Peppers only around for like half a song? The way it was announced, I thought they were going to be given equal time, but most of the time was spent on Bruno. I mean, I was okay with that because Bruno killed it, but yeah, why were they even there at all if that's all they were going to do? It was like Bruno Mars ft. The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I think he's going to put on a great performance as always, but he's going to get absolutely eviscerated by sports fans. He's not an aging dadrock icon so of course they're going to be unhappy.

I thought Beyoncé and Madonna were well received?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Metal Loaf posted:

I remember being convinced that "Next To Me" and "Read All About It" would be as big in 2012 as "Rolling In the Deep" and "Someone Like You" were in 2011; I guess Adele dominated for too long for anyone similar-sounding to get a proper look in.

I don't really remember Rolling In The Deep coming out at all but I've heard Read All About It loving everywhere since it came out, all the time, which is annoying because I absolutely haaaaate it and Emeli Sande.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Yeah, good lord they really brought the show down.

Gosh there's a wrong opinion if ever I saw one. Bruno did a really good job though. RHCP should have done one more song, or made it a 2 song medley.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Why were the Chili Peppers only around for like half a song? The way it was announced, I thought they were going to be given equal time, but most of the time was spent on Bruno. I mean, I was okay with that because Bruno killed it, but yeah, why were they even there at all if that's all they were going to do? It was like Bruno Mars ft. The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

The way it was announced was that Bruno Mars would be doing it. Then later on it was announced that RHCP would be joining him just because he personally invited them. So it was always going to be a cameo appearance. He just likes them and wanted them there.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wandle Cax posted:

The way it was announced was that Bruno Mars would be doing it. Then later on it was announced that RHCP would be joining him just because he personally invited them. So it was always going to be a cameo appearance. He just likes them and wanted them there.
Oh, okay. I didn't even know who was doing it before the Super Bowl aired. I meant it was announced as Bruno Mars and RHCP right before the halftime show aired.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

If anyone's been watching the pop charts, it looks like in the next couple of weeks Imagine Dragons' "Radioactive" and AWOLNATION's "Sail" are going to dethrone Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours" as the longest run on the Hot 100.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

If anyone's been watching the pop charts, it looks like in the next couple of weeks Imagine Dragons' "Radioactive" and AWOLNATION's "Sail" are going to dethrone Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours" as the longest run on the Hot 100.

Great more bad music on the top of the charts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I guess "Radioactive" is okay. Not really so keen on "Sail".

I'm not really into indie rock or whatever category those songs are sorted into, though (those kinds of bands tend to remind me of Coldplay and Snow Patrol, who I find rather dull and not really especially talented as musicians), so I'm probably not the audience they're aiming at.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Great more bad music on the top of the charts.

WELCOME TO THE NEW AGE

TO THE NEW AGE

Eh, I've heard worse songs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hey, it could be Demons. Radioactive is miles better than their other singles.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I think the fact that Sail could claim that title is the real tragedy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sail is loving terrible. Radioactive wasn't that bad the first few times I heard it but now I'm reeeeeally tired of hearing it. I feel like I've been hearing it forever at this point.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I thought Sail was a joke the first time I heard it tbh

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This Sail music video has around 21.5 million views.

This Sail music video has almost 95 million views.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The human race must be destroyed.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Isn't Sail also the song in those internet explorer ads. Anyways that song is bad also the Radioactive song is just generic as hell. Yes there are worse songs out there, but that doesn't change the fact that both of these songs are indeed bad.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The human race must be destroyed.

I wish I could empty quote this. Really though, what the gently caress is the appeal of that song? I'm genuinely asking. If there's someone who could explain why they like it I'd appreciate it. Like, I guess it's different from other top 40?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

foutre posted:

I wish I could empty quote this. Really though, what the gently caress is the appeal of that song? I'm genuinely asking. If there's someone who could explain why they like it I'd appreciate it. Like, I guess it's different from other top 40?

It has a good bass line, clapping and is easy to sing along with.

I enjoy any song with clapping. :shrug:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Isn't Sail also the song in those internet explorer ads. Anyways that song is bad also the Radioactive song is just generic as hell. Yes there are worse songs out there, but that doesn't change the fact that both of these songs are indeed bad.
Nope, that's this, which has 50 million views:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYXjLbMZFmo

You would think that this dude is the frontman for Imagine Dragons from listening to the chorus (the part that's in the Internet Explorer commercial), but nope, different generic dude.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Katy B sampler is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVaSlSDEhbI

quote:

If you were on board for Annie‘s 2013 release The A&R EP and its heady throwback to the days of parking garage rave culture and booming happy house beats, then get ready for Katy B‘s sophomore LP Little Red. The singer weaves her words atop retro synths and club grooves straight out of the Bush, Sr. and Clinton eras on tracks like “Next Thing,” “5AM,” “Aaliyah” and “I Like You,” all to the benefit of everyone’s ’90s throwback sensibilities. It’s not all oonce-oonce-oonce, however, as Katy dabbles with old-school R&B on “Tumbling Down” and straight-up ’80s synth balladry on current UK chart hit “Crying For No Reason” and the moody “Emotions.”

http://www.idolator.com/7504359/katy-b-little-red-album-listen

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 6, 2014

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Oh my god this is going to be a million times better than her first cd. And I loved her first cd.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I am hella sick so I revisited a bunch of albums today.

Best pop releases of 2013:
John Newman (Tribute)
Little Mix (Salute)
Miley Cyrus (Bangerz)

Most disappointing of 2013:
Britney Spears (Britney Jean)
Katy Perry (Prism)
Lady Gaga (Artpop)

2013 was a good year for newcomers and terrible for more established performers (except for Beyoncé of course). I wonder if that will keep up in 2014? Don't disappoint us, Kylie!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

'Ultraviolence' will come out and Lana Del Rey will be crowned Empress of the Galaxy.

'Nocturnes' from Little Boots is still my favourite album of 2013.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I know it's not strictly pop, but I downloaded Follow Your Arrow after watching Kacey Musgraves at the Grammys, and I'll be damned if that's not the earwormiest earworm that ever wormed into people's ears. It's like a country version of We Can't Stop, but not quite as transcendently awesome.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Yoshifan823 posted:

I know it's not strictly pop, but I downloaded Follow Your Arrow after watching Kacey Musgraves at the Grammys, and I'll be damned if that's not the earwormiest earworm that ever wormed into people's ears. It's like a country version of We Can't Stop, but not quite as transcendently awesome.

Well now I won't be happy until we get a Kacey Musgraves/Miley Cyrus duet.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Well now I won't be happy until we get a Kacey Musgraves/Miley Cyrus duet.

They can bond over their mutual love of rolling up joints!

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Oh my god this is going to be a million times better than her first cd. And I loved her first cd.

If this is in reference to Katy B?

Yes, it is at least On a Mission's equal on a few listens. Has some real earworms.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist
You will remember this post, when I appeared to you, even though no one will believe you and you will begin to doubt yourselves. Scientists will admit there's a possibility I exist, but they'll mock the guy who goes out into the woods hoping to catch a glimpse of me. You might think I'm a troll or an impostor no matter what evidence I provide, or at least you'll tell yourselves that to maintain your sanity.

I am the person who wasn't a big fan of Born This Way, but loving loves Artpop.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I'm pretty sure there's a thread full of snowflakes like you somewhere in this subforum.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

the truth posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a thread full of snowflakes like you somewhere in this subforum.

Is it a Gaga fan thread? Those don't count.

edit: And by that I mean that when I'm trying to figure out why my tastes in this instance differ so greatly from critics and general music fans, I'm not going to consider people who think everything the artist does is wonderful no matter what.

Christmas Jones fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

For me, all of the sons on BTW were okay/good, nothing spectacular. Artpop was very hit or miss, but the songs I liked were GREAT. (Dope is so underrated)