Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Do you run adblock? I don't have that issue at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Corn Thongs posted:

Do you run adblock? I don't have that issue at all.

Same here, I have never seen an ad during any of the Genius videos. I didn't even realize they were there. Adblock is a godsend.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I don't have adblock and it happened to me as well, but everytime it did that it would pause the video just before the ad. If you're on your pc and just hit unpause or spacebar quickly the ad won't show up. It is annoying when you have your pc connected to your tv or something though which is how I usually watch the genius.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Previously on The Genius.

Next Episode is out.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Yessssss :getin: Junghyun has at least made it to the semi-finals. I can't believe that guy made it this far. Even though there wasn't any kind of Keyser Soze mastermind twist involved it's still pretty awesome seeing him be deadly in deathmatches. Yohwan probably didn't deserve to survive this round, he's bumbled through everything so far.

What was the song that played when they were recapping last week's deathmatch?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

SMP posted:

Yessssss :getin: Junghyun has at least made it to the semi-finals. I can't believe that guy made it this far. Even though there wasn't any kind of Keyser Soze mastermind twist involved it's still pretty awesome seeing him be deadly in deathmatches. Yohwan probably didn't deserve to survive this round, he's bumbled through everything so far.

I thought this episode had some good pay off, mainly in that Sangmin gave up the immunity token and Jiwon finally got booted. Junghyun's domination also continues. If there's a season 3, I wonder if they'll not have the immunity token, was a bit too powerful in the hands of an already strong player.

Preview spoiler: Didn't watch too much of the preview, but I appreciate that Doohee will apparently be participating.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I love how Junghyun is a beast in death matches. Is that 3 in a row he's won? Also (preview spoiler)JINHO IS BACK WITH DOOHEE gently caress YEAH!

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Fantastic episode. I'm rooting for Junghyun to go all the way now, and I'm optimistic about next episode, since Sangmin gets weaker with fewer contestants to pit against each other, and Jyunghyun seems like he's in a better place to capitalize on good will from past contestants. If Yohwan wins this season somehow, it'll be the biggest embarrassment.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Jiwon with the premature GG, embarrassing

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Great deathmatch this week and the winner looked like a stone-cold badass doing it.

edit: He's like Master Roshi or whatever kind of anime wise-man-in-disguise

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I watch the Daily Motion videos on my Wii U so it's impossible for me to have adblock and I never run into advertising. Maybe there's just a Nintendo fan at Daily Motion that lets us through.

Now to sit back in my recliner and enjoy the next episode.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Air Julio posted:

Great deathmatch this week and the winner looked like a stone-cold badass doing it.

edit: He's like Master Roshi or whatever kind of anime wise-man-in-disguise

I loved how at the beginning he was just messing about and seemed to make Jiwon completely underestimate him.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Corn Thongs posted:

Jiwon with the premature GG, embarrassing

Zuh...wha?

Great episode. It's made up for a lot of the bluh we've had this season. And, honestly, I was all :neckbeard: when they went to [the month-long montage of Sangmin privately vowing to use the token of immortality on Yohwan. Seriously. We were all calling him an idiot for feeding the token to Sangmin, but it's kept the target away from him for weeks, and he got to use it anyway! Yohwan wins for once, and Sangmin wins a whole bunch of karma points, even if Yohwan might be easier to beat in the finals.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Haha, Starcraft terminology :D

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GG = good game

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I think my biggest takeaway from this episode is Shindong should absolutely come back next season. He was a beast at negotiating and made deals with his bandmates that ensured that he walked away with 1,000,000 won no matter what. That's some Genius level play.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Maduo posted:

I think my biggest takeaway from this episode is Shindong should absolutely come back next season. He was a beast at negotiating and made deals with his bandmates that ensured that he walked away with 1,000,000 won no matter what. That's some Genius level play.

He should absolutely be in the next season along with Ha-ha from Running Man

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Going into deathmatch I was thinking, "Great, here come Dumb and Dumber." Of course, it was Junghyun who gave Jiwon a strategy that could win at poker before and it turns out that he has one game that he's pretty good at. He was pretty good at reading how Jiwon would play a situation and responding accordingly. So he might be terrible at understanding new games and developing strategies on the fly, but there's one thing that he can play. :v:

It really is Sangmin's game to lose at this point. When the blue alliance completely imploded in the main match (due to Junghyun playing badly, of course) it just demonstrated that no one else in the game is even playing competently.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Random Stranger posted:

Going into deathmatch I was thinking, "Great, here come Dumb and Dumber." Of course, it was Junghyun who gave Jiwon a strategy that could win at poker before and it turns out that he has one game that he's pretty good at. He was pretty good at reading how Jiwon would play a situation and responding accordingly. So he might be terrible at understanding new games and developing strategies on the fly, but there's one thing that he can play. :v:

It really is Sangmin's game to lose at this point. When the blue alliance completely imploded in the main match (due to Junghyun playing badly, of course) it just demonstrated that no one else in the game is even playing competently.

Quite honest I think it's working in Yohwans favor to have Sangim last another round. Sangim is good with people but he isn't mastermind when it comes to death matches.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Honestly, I say Sangmin leaves next week. Yohwan and Junghyun are absolutely the wrong people he wanted in the final, imo; people who are good at deathmatches. I would've attempted to keep Jiwon, because he's not as savvy as the other two.

Goddamn Junghyun though :allears:. So good. Yohwan doing something actually smart for once was nice too (if Junghyun did win, how would he have saved Yohwan? He would've picked Sangmin and he would've used the token).

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So I've been going through Season 1 on youtube at work the last week or so, and holy poo poo guys this show really is incredible. I started watching it on my TV one night in my apartment and my roommates came out and asked "what the hell are you watching?" and kinda scoffed when I explained it, but they sat and watched an episode with me and all asked me what it was called and where they could watch it. We all got SO into the episode (it was the Horse Scamming Game) and just overall enjoyed the hell out of it.

I need to finish season 1 and what's out for season 2 so I can talk about this with you guys.

edit- In s1e7 when Jinho revealed his secret my mouth was literally through the floor. Just incredible.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 13, 2014

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
That was a pretty good episode but I was really hoping that Sangmin wouldn't give the immunity token to Yohwan. Alternatively, I was hoping that once Yohwan got the immunity token he would force Sangmin into the death match. It would have been pretty underhanded but, if he is playing to win, he would really have benefited from knocking Sangmin out.

vvv Well I guess I wasn't paying attention :doh: I still stand by my position that it was used in a pretty boring fashion.

pogothemonkey0 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 13, 2014

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
He couldn't, Sangmin still had immunity from winning the game.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Nexal posted:

After getting into that show, I actually went back and rewatched the episode in S1 where he's a guest. He did well, but I honestly think that Jong Kook or Ji Hyo would be better.

Or, heck, get them all in there for a cross-season of insanity. It's not like it could possibly be bad.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

During the week-long wait for this episode I watched the first ep of Running Man and then I watched 29 more.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Junghyun is deadly in death matches, out of the three still alive he's the one I'm rooting for since Hongchul and Jinho are gone. Good episode all around, nice to see Indian Hold'em actually get played out as a full game.

Nexal posted:

Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing the Running Man cast just come in as guests for one of the later episodes. Wasn't Sangmin's guest during season 1 Haha anyway?

SMP posted:

What was the song that played when they were recapping last week's deathmatch?

This would be the song you're asking about!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I didn't realize until this episode just how easily you could card count in this death match. They don't seem to shuffle at all after the initial one and just move onto another pack. I wish one of the guys had been more observant and used that to his advantage. At the very least you can know with complete certainty what card you have on the last hand before a new pack.

I miss Jinho :(

SMP
May 5, 2009

NeuroticLich posted:

Junghyun is deadly in death matches, out of the three still alive he's the one I'm rooting for since Hongchul and Jinho are gone. Good episode all around, nice to see Indian Hold'em actually get played out as a full game.

Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing the Running Man cast just come in as guests for one of the later episodes. Wasn't Sangmin's guest during season 1 Haha anyway?

This would be the song you're asking about!

I don't think that was it :v:. It's at 4:30 into part 1, it's a more housey song.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SMP posted:

I don't think that was it :v:. It's at 4:30 into part 1, it's a more housey song.

Ah, I'm sorry, I was looking at the montage during part 2. Lick It - Kaskade & Skrillex

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Another great episode, that deathmatch :allears: Speaking of, what was the music they used for the deathmatch rules explanation?

As for the preview of next week, the guest lineup is insanely stacked for Yohwan :negative:. For gently caress's sake, anyone but him win this season.

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 13, 2014

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Awesome main match, Super Junior members were amazing. Shindong was hilarious and a pretty good schemer as well, I didn't know that dude was that funny.

Death match was so tense that was a straight up poker match and all about reading your opponent. Everyone so far has underestimated Junghyun, so much so they lose ground in the beginning because he starts to play dumb at the start. The guy is a loving monster at the death matches. I really want him and Sangmin to square off in the finals, its the perfect storyline imo. Also another loving episode where Yohwan ruins his own alliance and kinda has to salvage it by loving things up yet again. He's still surviving but goddamn he has not lived up to his name at all in the show IMO or on the main matches at all.

loving stoked for Jinho to come back next week. Yohwan may be the emperor of starcraft but Jinho is THE GENIUS and I hope he buries Yohwan.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Mob posted:

During the week-long wait for this episode I watched the first ep of Running Man and then I watched 29 more.

Congratulations. I'm not sure why I'm watching it anymore, but it's just so charming. And it's awesome how the show evolves; they escape the trap of going stale with panache. I'm sorry to break it to you, but you're going to lose Enthusiastic Joong Ki soon :(

...Joong Ki would be loving incredible on The Genius.

And yeah, I'm happy to see Junghyun coming into his own with the deathmatches. This week was super satisfying, and painted a clear comparison to Jinho ("accurate" though his stupid bet was, that Jinho). I'm happy with anybody remaining winning, to be honest. Yohwan is Magooing it, but though he's not successful he's not stupid. Sangmin would be my least preferred winner, but that's simply because he's been doing too well for it not to look like producer interference.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 13, 2014

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Propaganda Machine posted:

Sangmin would be my least preferred winner, but that's simply because he's been doing too well for it not to look like producer interference.

Have you seen who he's competing with here

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Tonfa posted:

Have you seen who he's competing with here

Yeah I think it's less producer interference and more Yohwan being absurdly dumb and Sangmin taking advantage. All of his good competitors have destroyed themselves through infighting.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Awesome main match, Super Junior members were amazing. Shindong was hilarious and a pretty good schemer as well, I didn't know that dude was that funny.

Death match was so tense that was a straight up poker match and all about reading your opponent. Everyone so far has underestimated Junghyun, so much so they lose ground in the beginning because he starts to play dumb at the start. The guy is a loving monster at the death matches. I really want him and Sangmin to square off in the finals, its the perfect storyline imo. Also another loving episode where Yohwan ruins his own alliance and kinda has to salvage it by loving things up yet again. He's still surviving but goddamn he has not lived up to his name at all in the show IMO or on the main matches at all.

loving stoked for Jinho to come back next week. Yohwan may be the emperor of starcraft but Jinho is THE GENIUS and I hope he buries Yohwan.

Please indicate preview spoilers!

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Soylentbits posted:

Yeah I think it's less producer interference and more Yohwan being absurdly dumb and Sangmin taking advantage. All of his good competitors have destroyed themselves through infighting.

Yeah, I don't think anyone else is even close to Sangmin in this game. He absolutely deserves to win this season. Shame he's so bad at deathmatches.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I kind of wonder how this season would have panned out if Sangmin had won season 1, and Jinho had been the lol-Jinho-second-again! candidate.

I'm just really loving glad Jiwon is gone. I think his idiotic X factor really hurt the season, as opposed to Sunggyu's slow rise to brilliance. Also, he dresses like a douche.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'm just really loving glad Jiwon is gone. I think his idiotic X factor really hurt the season, as opposed to Sunggyu's slow rise to brilliance. Also, he dresses like a douche.

I think the Sangmin/Sunggyu reunion was one of my favourite moments of the show. They were clearly going for a similar character to Sunggyu in Jiwon, but failed so badly.

I think the biggest problem of the season is that so many of the "dumb" (for lack of a better word) contestants made it so far through collusion rather than strategy. The season certainly had a number of people who looked like they could do well in games that revolve around strategy rather than alliance formulation (Dahye, Jinho, Hweejong and Yoonsun for example), but they just couldn't survive the broadcaster alliance.In contrast to last season, where, for the most part, the better Genius players really did last the longest (with the exception of Simple and Gura, who just seemed to give up).

I hope the producers realise from this season that they shouldn't necessarily have so many broadcasters in the cast as opposed to people who are skilled in something that indicates they would be good at the Genius, and that they have more games where having an alliance can actually be a bad thing. The first episode of the first season was good for this, because it showed all the cast that having too big an alliance could actually make the strategy fail. After that, no one really tried to make a big alliance.

mmtt
May 8, 2009

Shakugan posted:

I think the biggest problem of the season is that so many of the "dumb" (for lack of a better word) contestants made it so far through collusion rather than strategy. The season certainly had a number of people who looked like they could do well in games that revolve around strategy rather than alliance formulation (Dahye, Jinho, Hweejong and Yoonsun for example), but they just couldn't survive the broadcaster alliance.In contrast to last season, where, for the most part, the better Genius players really did last the longest (with the exception of Simple and Gura, who just seemed to give up).

I'm pretty sure it reflects the balance of the show. Early season plays out to the strengths of the socially-gifted ones with their alliance and backroom shenanigans. Things turn around as the season progresses and the herd thins out, alliances play a smaller role, the geniuses that made it through the elimination gain a pretty big advantage since the elimination is more often that not a 1 on 1 affair.

Jinho deathmatched his way to the top in season one, scaring away the opposition. I think his weakest was during the rigged horse race where he had to rely entirely on an ally.
This season Sangmin has been able to manipulate his way taking out the smart players early and leaving the assumingly weak ones alive (bumbling Yohwan and Mr.Magoo).

mmtt fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yohwan is a bit strange. Like, when Junghyun's partner was running the auction, Yohwan offered his cube for 1, and Junghyun's partner managed to rack up a big score. Makes sense, he and Junghyun were allies, and the idea was they'd both help each other's team out like that, and the two of them would be at the top competing for the win.

But then when the blues came up he kept undercutting Junghyun by 1. Junghyun didn't understand why he was doing that and neither did I. It reminds me so much of the number block auction when Yohwan was working with Jiwon, but then took a high number right near Jiwon's, and either then or later, I forget, took in the pot when he was supposed to send it around again.

But he's not just being selfish, because he's making big sacrifices like bidding 1 with his color or like paying everyone off extremely in the block auction to try to keep it going around and work their strategy. I'm not sure if it's just his cheap nature leaking through in small ways, and thus blowing his alliances, or if he had actual reasons for those things that he just wasn't explaining.

Anyway, it's been pretty sad seeing him sitting there with 0 garnets for like the last 3 episodes. When he threw the game over to Sangmin and came in last himself, holy poo poo he would've been screwed in Indian Poker with no garnets. As much as they made it look like Sangmin had planned to help Yohwan with the immortality token all along, the fact that he was sitting there with 0 garnets definitely makes him more inviting to protect and bring along to the end. Smart play throwing the win to Sangmin though. If Sangmin didn't have immunity I doubt he would've given up that token.

Also, drat, Sangmin just lost 10 garnets by sharing them with Jiwon to make the Indian Poker more fair. That's a lot of garnets. And am I wrong or does Junghyun also owe Sangmin 3 garnets that he's just not paying back? Maybe he will now that he won so many... But that's kind of annoying me even though I like Junghyun for the most part. Either him or Sangmin would be a worthy winner, not so sure about Yohwan.