Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Oh yeah, and while that main match was fine and good, I didn't really love it. A lot of it relied on what other people did or what colors you drew. I prefer matches like the dice one, or the open/pass one (even WITHOUT Jinho's epic trick). Those are the ones where individual players each go and put in their own performance and everyone's performances are compared against one another... so the best player can just win. Like in open/pass, where Jinho dominated, but even ignoring that, how despite everyone knowing the color differences of the card backs, you had people like Kyungran posting a really big score while Sunggyu (who I love) bombed out, all on his own, because his strategy wasn't as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Sangmin knows perfectly well Junghyun is dangerous, in an interview very early in the season he named him, Jinho and Yooyung as the greatest threats.

http://bxrme.tumblr.com/post/71121384893/sangmin-interview-about-the-genius

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

bigperm posted:

Yeah, I don't think anyone else is even close to Sangmin in this game. He absolutely deserves to win this season. Shame he's so bad at deathmatches.

To be fair, if you deserve to win you should absolutely be good at deathmatches. Just because he's good at scheming does not make him the best winner; Jinho won last season by being, well, both good at the main games and at the deathmatches.

I mean yeah, Sangmin's dominated the last... 5 games? That's just playing to his strengths though.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Fast Luck posted:

Yohwan is a bit strange. Like, when Junghyun's partner was running the auction, Yohwan offered his cube for 1, and Junghyun's partner managed to rack up a big score. Makes sense, he and Junghyun were allies, and the idea was they'd both help each other's team out like that, and the two of them would be at the top competing for the win.

But then when the blues came up he kept undercutting Junghyun by 1. Junghyun didn't understand why he was doing that and neither did I. It reminds me so much of the number block auction when Yohwan was working with Jiwon, but then took a high number right near Jiwon's, and either then or later, I forget, took in the pot when he was supposed to send it around again.

But he's not just being selfish, because he's making big sacrifices like bidding 1 with his color or like paying everyone off extremely in the block auction to try to keep it going around and work their strategy. I'm not sure if it's just his cheap nature leaking through in small ways, and thus blowing his alliances, or if he had actual reasons for those things that he just wasn't explaining.

Anyway, it's been pretty sad seeing him sitting there with 0 garnets for like the last 3 episodes. When he threw the game over to Sangmin and came in last himself, holy poo poo he would've been screwed in Indian Poker with no garnets. As much as they made it look like Sangmin had planned to help Yohwan with the immortality token all along, the fact that he was sitting there with 0 garnets definitely makes him more inviting to protect and bring along to the end. Smart play throwing the win to Sangmin though. If Sangmin didn't have immunity I doubt he would've given up that token.

Also, drat, Sangmin just lost 10 garnets by sharing them with Jiwon to make the Indian Poker more fair. That's a lot of garnets. And am I wrong or does Junghyun also owe Sangmin 3 garnets that he's just not paying back? Maybe he will now that he won so many... But that's kind of annoying me even though I like Junghyun for the most part. Either him or Sangmin would be a worthy winner, not so sure about Yohwan.

I'm pretty sure he paid them back at the start of this episode. They talk about it and Junghyun takes them out, they don't show the actual exchange, but when Super Junior comes out there are 3 garnets on the table in front of Sangmin.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Does it even matter that Yohwan is so poor? It's a winner-take-all game, and I don't remember garnets being a huge factor in the end game last time.

I'm also curious as to what Sangmin's big scandal was. I googled to no avail. I even tried using Hangul! :(

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Sangmin is very good at playing the main matches, he's also been absurdly lucky with the strength of the roles he's received in the role based games, which made him effectively untouchable in a couple of rounds even before the immortality token was taken into consideration. I don't think he's a plant, but if it turned out that he was, it also wouldn't be all that surprising. Either way, I want him to get eliminated next week, because it'd be funny for his incredible run of dominance to end with him finishing third again.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Mob posted:

During the week-long wait for this episode I watched the first ep of Running Man and then I watched 29 more.

Not sure how to watch those anymore :(... I watched the first episode of Running Man when the thread was made but forgot about the rest. Now all the stream links in that thread are broken.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

MisterZimbu posted:

Not sure how to watch those anymore :(... I watched the first episode of Running Man when the thread was made but forgot about the rest. Now all the stream links in that thread are broken.

Check again. Somebody recently posted a torrent of episodes 1-150.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

Yohwan is a bit strange. Like, when Junghyun's partner was running the auction, Yohwan offered his cube for 1, and Junghyun's partner managed to rack up a big score. Makes sense, he and Junghyun were allies, and the idea was they'd both help each other's team out like that, and the two of them would be at the top competing for the win.

But then when the blues came up he kept undercutting Junghyun by 1. Junghyun didn't understand why he was doing that and neither did I. It reminds me so much of the number block auction when Yohwan was working with Jiwon, but then took a high number right near Jiwon's, and either then or later, I forget, took in the pot when he was supposed to send it around again.

Yeah Junghyun was all on board the alliance with Yohwan, but when Yohwan started undercutting him with blue he got spooked and decided to break the alliance because Yohwan obviously had his own agenda.

Yohwan seems to favour shady cheap strategies. Jinho talked a lot about the three bunker rushes in a row on Starcraft, and that pretty much sums up Yohwan's personality to me. He just... acts dishonourably and unsportsman-like. Anything for a win. Not necessarily an absolutely bad thing in games but it makes me dislike him as a person.

He kinda ruins every alliance he's been in trying to do something self serving. But what do I know, maybe it's a pact with Sangmin that Yohwan stirs the poo poo and Sangmin just laughs in disbelief as he wins by default.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Fast Luck posted:

And am I wrong or does Junghyun also owe Sangmin 3 garnets that he's just not paying back? Maybe he will now that he won so many... But that's kind of annoying me even though I like Junghyun for the most part.

His nametag had been updated by the time of the deathmatch to indicate he had lost 3 garnets.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Tonfa posted:

His nametag had been updated by the time of the deathmatch to indicate he had lost 3 garnets.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Check again. Somebody recently posted a torrent of episodes 1-150.

Can you link this? The links in the first posts of that thread didn't work and I want to avoid the spoiler landmine that is the rest of the thread.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I think he means this post.

But I tried to download it and it's stuck on finding peers for 10 minutes. Doesn't seem to be any uploaders.

EDIT: Oh there we go, works now.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 13, 2014

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

While it's debatable how much control either one had over it, Sangmin seems to be in a much worse position than Jinho was this time last season, as the two other remaining contestants are both players who do best at one-on-one deathmatches. Jinho was left with Sangmin and Kyungrang, both players who thrived on working in large groups, and couldn't really compete with him one-on-one.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Chainsawdomy posted:

While it's debatable how much control either one had over it, Sangmin seems to be in a much worse position than Jinho was this time last season, as the two other remaining contestants are both players who do best at one-on-one deathmatches. Jinho was left with Sangmin and Kyungrang, both players who thrived on working in large groups, and couldn't really compete with him one-on-one.

I agree. I was VERY surprised that he gave the token to Yohwan. It would have been in his best interests to keep Jiwon around. It's strange, because it was a sort of return to the mutual respect, being honorable thing from the first season. Something that really hasn't existed much in this season.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I just caught up with the episodes and then there's already a new one out :dance:

lol at people saying there was producer interference favoring Sangmin. Dude is clearly a beast.

I hope Yohwan is eliminated next week because it'd look pretty bad if he actually won The Genius considering how goofy he was at pretty much every game.

I'm totally ok with Mr. Magoo winning though.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Symbolic Butt posted:

I hope Yohwan is eliminated next week because it'd look pretty bad if he actually won The Genius considering how goofy he was at pretty much every game.

I'm totally ok with Mr. Magoo winning though.

I think that's my biggest problem with Yohwan too. He's deliberately tanked several times. I enjoy the show because people find ways to win, not because someone won a game by default because one guy tanked on purpose.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Has Yohwan even had a plan this season that he didn't gently caress up himself five minutes later? Both this episode and the minus auction he came up with a strategy with Junghyun/Jiwon respectively and then started undercutting both of them almost immediately afterwards.

There are so many people that deserve Yohwan's spot instead of him. Jinho, Dahye, Hongchul... Pretty much anybody but Hweejong I'd rather be in his place.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Running man guys, you can also slowly download (or watch online) all episodes here, with the best subtitles possible:
http://www.isubs-squad.com/download?s=1

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Cityinthesea posted:

To be fair, if you deserve to win you should absolutely be good at deathmatches. Just because he's good at scheming does not make him the best winner; Jinho won last season by being, well, both good at the main games and at the deathmatches.

I mean yeah, Sangmin's dominated the last... 5 games? That's just playing to his strengths though.

That is a good point and I agree but I feel like the deathmatches are the weakest part of the game. If I could change one thing about the show it would be the deathmatches. I usually skip them in fact. They are so drawn out and it gets recapped in the next episode anyway.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

bigperm posted:

That is a good point and I agree but I feel like the deathmatches are the weakest part of the game. If I could change one thing about the show it would be the deathmatches. I usually skip them in fact. They are so drawn out and it gets recapped in the next episode anyway.

.... WHAT.

There have been totally poo poo deathmatches though: generally any deathmatch that depends on other contestants, like season 1 ep 1, or the season 2 go player 'Let's get rid of her for a profit, lol', "death" "match" which was just a pile-on.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

NeuroticLich posted:

Has Yohwan even had a plan this season that he didn't gently caress up himself five minutes later? Both this episode and the minus auction he came up with a strategy with Junghyun/Jiwon respectively and then started undercutting both of them almost immediately afterwards.
I don't really hate him or anything but he definitely has an annoying tendency to just blow up the games.

survivalstrategy
Oct 19, 2012

Let's see how many people you can kill with the power of love.

"To be honest, I don't feel like seeing the night sea today, at all."

Junghyun makes me so drat happy! :holy: He somehow channels the feel good spirit of S1 but he's so brutal in deathmatches. Jiwon's realization of this was super satistfying and I'm glad to see his dopey face go.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
A great and happy episode with everyone being nice, and a good elimination. Looking forward to next week's game!

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
So glad that the best player slayed the most annoying player in a dramatically appropriate game (I actually didn't mind Jiwon too much by the end though, he definitely seemed to get humbled a bit as the series progressed). Love Junghyun apparently just casually joking about his own suicide with his kids. And I wouldn't mind too much if Yohwan won it to be honest - I can see why some people would argue he doesn't 'deserve' it but ultimately if you make it through all 13 weeks of this show and win the final, then you totally deserve it. Junghyun/Sangmin final obviously a dream though

Preview chat:Love the returning guests, but wondering what this means for the final. Surely we can't be lucky enough to get two weeks of Jinho! It is quite interesting that the series has never properly done an episode with 4 people or fewer (if we count the random people from the semi-final last year). In fact, last year had a 5 contestant episode while this one didn't really.

Sangmin talking to Dongie about how much he hated the show but then implying he would obviously do Season 3 was so funny to me. I also love that his wacky idol past only comes up occasionally and he's usually totally embarrassed when it does - he's like a sitcom character with some quirky backstory that gets mentioned once an episode.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Propaganda Machine posted:

Congratulations. I'm not sure why I'm watching it anymore, but it's just so charming. And it's awesome how the show evolves; they escape the trap of going stale with panache. I'm sorry to break it to you, but you're going to lose Enthusiastic Joong Ki soon :(

I really love it, and I know Joong Ki leaves in a few episodes, and that's okay, but if HaHa ever leaves I will literally kill myself irl for real.

For this season of The Genius, I was happy they brought back Jinho(because how can you be The Genius if you don't compete against a proven one) and Sangmin. I don't think that's a bad idea for recurring players(the previous season's winner and 3rd place player), since the 2nd place player already had a chance at the previous season's title, etc.

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun
I don't think Yohwan made that big a mistake in breaking his alliance with Junghyun. I don't follow the technical side of the games too closely but it seems like it would have been really difficult to coordinate the equal scores required for joint winning over four people people.

Better to put your bets on the person that gives you the slightest chance of escaping the deathmatch, rather than potentially guarantee yourself going their. I think that was his explanation, at least.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Segway Rave posted:

I don't think Yohwan made that big a mistake in breaking his alliance with Junghyun. I don't follow the technical side of the games too closely but it seems like it would have been really difficult to coordinate the equal scores required for joint winning over four people people.

Better to put your bets on the person that gives you the slightest chance of escaping the deathmatch, rather than potentially guarantee yourself going their. I think that was his explanation, at least.

It's not like he betrayed Junghyun for the win, he was basically last.

Those two formed the earliest alliance, and held the rarest color. They both finished dead last. Obviously, one, or both made terrible moves and had bad strategy. The biggest mistake was the failure to use the blue's leverage, and that was on Yohwan

For basic strategy with the blues, you always want to go last, and ask for max minus baseline and points already traded. Squeeze them further if you know make up of teams.

Femur fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 14, 2014

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun
But one of them was coming last regardless. Undercutting the bidding was kinda dumb, yeah, but I don't think it mattered much at all. It was going to happen, was it better to happen early or later? I have no idea, really.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Yohwan is a dumb idiot babby in the main games. He's constantly formed alliances and then hosed over his partners immediately for reasons he cannot even explain because he is too dumb to follow his own plan or to find ways to gently caress over his partners in ways that make him win. He just sinks himself and everyone around him. Then he plays it off like a :master: when by sheer luck one of the other players makes an even worse mistake, and the people he sets up to win (everyone outside of his alliances) don't eliminate him because he's such an idiot in the main game but is considered to be a strong deathmatch player. And no I will not believe that he is feigning incompetence even if they do an hour long Keyser Soze montage if he wins.

Rooting for Junghyun now, though my favorites were Jinho, Dahye, and Yooyoung. Junghyun went from bumbling token old guy to legit player in the span of this one deathmatch. Sangmin winning would be kind of boring honestly, he's never left his position of near absolute power and luck this season with the immortality token which was thanks in large part to yet another Yohwan idiot moment.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yohwan's done a lot of dumb things this season but this latest strategy wasn't one of them. He felt like he couldn't beat Junghyun for first, which meant he was definitely going to be in the death match. Undercutting Junghyun and passing the win on to Sangmin was his best chance at keeping himself alive.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Man if I could change one thing about this season it'd be for Yoonsun to have beaten Yohwan in laser-chess back in episode 5.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Chainsawdomy posted:

Man if I could change one thing about this season it'd be for Yoonsun to have beaten Yohwan in laser-chess back in episode 5.

This forever. She was great and Yohwan has been very disappointing all season.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Okay, installed Adblock and am now through Ep 2 of Season 2. How can people dislike Hongchul? He completely owns.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Little Mac posted:

Okay, installed Adblock and am now through Ep 2 of Season 2. How can people dislike Hongchul? He completely owns.

His personality is extremely fake. He doesn't seem that bad, though.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Davincie posted:

Running man guys, you can also slowly download (or watch online) all episodes here, with the best subtitles possible:
http://www.isubs-squad.com/download?s=1

ack..dont have permission.

curious: how did genius s2 do ratings wise? Its definitely back on for next year yea?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

redreader posted:

His personality is extremely fake. He doesn't seem that bad, though.

He is just playing a character for the sole purpose of entertaining the audience while explaining the games to them :ssh:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I found Hongchul annoying at first, but he definitely grew on me as the season progressed.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I liked him from the beginning, he was the same colourfully dressed manic variety show kinda guy as Haha from season 1. Loved that guy.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Finally managed to spent a day to catch up on eps 6-10 (Jesus, ep 6 was a mixture of comedy excellence and complete pain). It has been interesting that really, this seasons seems to be more about certain players schemes completely imploding and handing off a default win a lot of the time but really, Sangmin really has shown himself just amazingly adapt at the social aspect of the game. At first I was starting the think along the lines of producers rigging scenarios in his favour but really, he has just had the right role when others around him have been running around like headless chickens and things lined up nicely.

I mean, it's the same as the safe situation, I imagine there would have been more obvious clues to the combination of the lock as the weeks progressed if ole BoxeR didn't lead him right to the safe there'd be no guarantee he'd have been a teflon Don for weeks afer.

Junghyun has greatly amused me but at the same time, he's kind of built up an excellent Death Match rep at this point just with how he holds his nerve. Purely because of his Death Match streak, I want to guy to win at this point but I would certainly not begrudge Sangmin win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Raeg posted:

Finally managed to spent a day to catch up on eps 6-10 (Jesus, ep 6 was a mixture of comedy excellence and complete pain). It has been interesting that really, this seasons seems to be more about certain players schemes completely imploding and handing off a default win a lot of the time but really, Sangmin really has shown himself just amazingly adapt at the social aspect of the game. At first I was starting the think along the lines of producers rigging scenarios in his favour but really, he has just had the right role when others around him have been running around like headless chickens and things lined up nicely.

I mean, it's the same as the safe situation, I imagine there would have been more obvious clues to the combination of the lock as the weeks progressed if ole BoxeR didn't lead him right to the safe there'd be no guarantee he'd have been a teflon Don for weeks afer.

Junghyun has greatly amused me but at the same time, he's kind of built up an excellent Death Match rep at this point just with how he holds his nerve. Purely because of his Death Match streak, I want to guy to win at this point but I would certainly not begrudge Sangmin win.

Yeah he also has the chill goofy dad vibe that I can't help but love.