Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Looking at the 9s draw, I don't think Fittler and Menzies can play against each other unless it's a Roosters v Sea-Eagles final unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Red_Museum posted:

I don't think Fittler and Menzies can play

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Menzies probably can, didn't he just finish up in Superleague last season? The guy is indestructible.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

Menzies probably can, didn't he just finish up in Superleague last season? The guy is indestructible.

Yeah he only retired last year and he was one of the fittest guys on the team, he was tracking back to prevent break away tries every time I watched them last year. Not so fast anymore so a bit odd for 9s mind.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I plan to make $5000 from rugby league bets in 2014.

If anyone is interested, I can post my bets here and we can keep track of how well this doesn't go.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Mills posted:

If anyone is interested, I can post my bets here and we can keep track of how well this doesn't go.

You must do this. I'll set up a special section in the OP just for you. We all need to know your master secrets for making money. I'm assuming it has something to do with first points coming from penalty goals?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Mills posted:

Tom Waterhouse spotted!

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Voss on commentary: "Cricket's for pussies".

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
My perspective as a Yank is that, whereas League is Football but with the boring parts removed, Cricket is Baseball without the exciting, fast-paced action for which Baseball is famous. :v:

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

My perspective as a Yank is that, whereas League is Football but with the boring parts removed, Cricket is Baseball without the exciting, fast-paced action for which Baseball is famous. :v:

I'm confused why you didn't say cricket and baseball are both boring as gently caress.

Sadly I watch both because alcohol improves everything except being a Bradford Bulls fan or the chances of a Canberra Raiders Next Big Thing staying at the club.

E: Jesus gently caress Foran was one of the sleeping pill gamers? ANZAC test this year is going to be even more brutal than usual.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Use Words Like Rad posted:

I'm confused why you didn't say cricket and baseball are both boring as gently caress.

:thejoke:

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

drat it. Well played.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Very nice.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

nickname dump.

Blake Ferguson : Turd Furguson
Timana Tahu: Tim Tam Tahu
Mick Ennis: Human Garbage
Kurt Gidley: "Ring" Gids
Ricky Stuart: Sticky
Dane Tilse: Panty Raider
Billy Slater: Smack the oval office
Greg Inglis: Gringlis, or the Good putty man
Nate Myles: worlds largest midget
anyone with the name Sam: Slammin' Sam
anyone with the name shane: Sugar Shane
Aiden Tolman: James Graham
James Graham: Aiden Tolman

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Josh Dugan= Jed or Jed bogan in full. (league unlimited I think that one comes from)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Every single Roosters player: oval office

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Josh Dugan= Jed or Jed bogan in full. (league unlimited I think that one comes from)

Lord Bogan if playing rep footy

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

On the betting topic, I'll bet $20, $50, $100, whatever with anyone who wants to go H2H with me on the overall season points in NRL Supercoach.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
What have Sky done to the Super League music?! That was the best music on TV that was. Now you've got those big cgi metal fellas clattering each other to music that sounds like soft rock only less manly. Wtf?

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I think Saints have a chance against Warrington tonight. Certainly a better chance than at home anyway. New Super League music is gash. What the gently caress Sky.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I hope it's a close game, but I'll be surprised if it isn't a heavy wire win (even though saints almost always win there, heh).

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Did Warrington get rid of their defence coaches during winter? If I'd known I probably wouldn't have predicted what I predicted.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Whatever they did, I hope they keep doing it. :v:

Luke Walsh has utterly bossed the 1st half, was he this effective in the NRL?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Much like nearly every other player who has made the trip, not really. He was alright but a bit inconsistent. Not a star.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Hope Warrington defend like this next Friday :getin:

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
What a superb performance from Saints. Nice to see that in Luke Walsh we've got a competent kicker for the first time since Sean Long left. Warrington were dire though, as bad as we were on the first match against Huddersfield last year.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Nathan brown a good coach? This is a weird place.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
OK so the Nines are on tomorrow, here are some things about that courtesy of NRL.com:

Background

The Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines is a live 31 game two-day rugby league extravaganza:
- 16 NRL teams with over 256 players will compete
- Star players are contractually guaranteed
- Teams will be made up of nine players across four pools of four
- AU$2.25 million dollars in prize money
- Almost 90,000 fans expected over two days.

The tournament is thanks to a partnership between the NRL and New Zealand's Duco Events, Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development (ATEED) and Dick Smith.

ATEED are the foundation host city sponsor and will invest $NZ 9 million over five years while Dick Smith is also on board through to 2018.

Prize money available is a record New Zealand sport's purse of $AUD 2.25 million.

Winning team ($AUD370,000), runner-up ($AUD240,000), semi-finalists ($AUD165,000), quarter-finalists ($AUD130,000) and round robin losers ($AUD110,000).

Rule Changes:

• Introduction of the Bonus Zone – a five point try for tries scored in the in-goal area between the goal posts at each end. All tries scored outside the bonus zone will remain four pointers

• Introduction of 'GoldenTry' - where if teams are drawn at fulltime – in extra time the first team to score a try wins – with the 'Golden try'

• Goal-kicks will not feature in the tournament with dropkicks taken in line from where the try was scored worth two points. Penalty dropkicks will be worth two points with a field goal in general play remaining at one point.

• Scrums will consist of five players from each team and will only be used in the event of a double knock-on or a mutual infringement.

• In the event of a successful 40/20 kick, play will recommence with a tap re-start to the kicking team 20 metres in from where the ball crossed the touch line.

• Matches will be re-started by the scoring team through a drop kick off

• Referees will have the power to send players to the sin-bin for five minutes for foul play.

Teams

Broncos
Ben Barba, Josh Hoffman, Dale Copley, Alex Glenn, Stewart Mills, Kodi Nikorima, Ben Hunt, Martin Kennedy, Andrew McCullough, Sam Thaiday, Matt Gillett, Jordan Drew, Corey Parker (c), David Stagg, Todd Lowrie, Jake Granville, Joe Ofahengaue, Jake Granville

Bulldogs
Sam Perrett, Mitch Brown, Chase Stanley, Tyrone Phillips, Ed Murphy, Moses Mbye, Drury Low, Tim Browne, Michael Ennis (c), Dale Finucane, Josh Jackson, Tony Williams, Pat O’Hanlon, Lachlan Burr, Corey Thompson, Lloyd Perrett.

Raiders
Jarrod Croker (c), Reece Robinson, Mitch Cornish, Bill Tupou, Matt McIlwrick, Joel Edwards, Glen Buttriss, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, Jarrad Kennedy, Mark Nicholls, Jake Foster, Lagi Setu, Mitch Cronin, Luke Bateman, Jack Ahearn, Andrew Heffernan.

Cowboys
Lachlan Coote, Zac Santo, Antonio Winterstein, Kane Linnett, Javid Bowen, Michael Morgan, Robert Lui, Jason Taumalolo, Ray Thompson, James Tamou, Gavin Cooper, Tariq Sims, Joel Riethmuller, Rory Kostjasyn, Kyle Feldt, Curtis Rona

Titans
William Zillman, Brad Tighe, David Mead, Kevin Gordon, Albert Kelly, Greg Bird, Ashley Harrison, Anthony Don, Paul Carter, Kalifa Faifai Loa, Brad Takairangi, Mark Minichiello, Maurice Blair, Luke Bailey, Siuatonga Likiliki, David Taylor.

Sea Eagles
(In alphabetical order) Cheyse Blair, Jamie Buhrer, Michael Chee-Kam, Daly Cherry-Evans, Clinton Gutherson, James Hasson, Peta Hiku, Justin Horo, Jack Littlejohn, Steve Menzies, Ligi Sao, Tony Satini, Jesse Sene-Lefao, Tom Symonds, Jorge Taufua, David Williams.

Storm
Will Chambers, Sisa Waqa, Joel Romelo, Mahe Fonua, Matt Duffie, Young Tonumaipea, Mitch Garbutt, Justin O'Neill, Tohu Harris, Matthew Lodge, Kevin Proctor, Ryan Hoffman (c), Slade Griffin, Kurt Mann, Cameron Munster, Richie Kennar

Knights
Jarrod Mullen (c), Adam Cuthbertson, Jake Mamo, Dane Gagai, Joseph Leilua, Akuila Uate, Tyrone Roberts, Willie Mason, Adam Clydsdale, Chris Houston, Beau Scott, Robbie Rochow, Jeremy Smith, Michael Dobson, Alex McKinnon, Zane Tetevano.

Eels
Willie Tonga (c), Kenny Edwards, Bureta Faraimo, John Folau, Manu Ma’u, Fuifui Moimoi, Ryan Morgan, Corey Norman, Pauli Pauli, Joseph Paulo, Nathan Peats, Api Pewhairangi, Semi Radradra, Chris Sandow, Ken Sio, Peni Terepo, Vai Toutai.

Panthers
Matt Moylan, Wes Naiqama, Josh Mansour, Isaac John, Kevin Naiqama, Jamie Soward, Jeremy Latimore, Sam Mckendry, Kevin Kingston, Tyrone Peachey, Lewis Brown, Adam Docker, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Etonia Nabuli, George Jennings, Isaah Yeo.

Sharks
Nathan Gardner, Nathan Stapleton, Blake Ayshford, Jonathan Wright, Sosaia Feki, Todd Carney, Daniel Holdsworth, Andrew Fifita, Michael Lichaa, Sam Tagataese, Wade Graham, Matt Prior, Paul Gallen, Ricky Leutele, Tupou Sopoaga, Fa’amanu Brown

Rabbitohs
Nathan Merritt, Beau Champion, Alex Johnston, Joel Reddy, Dylan Walker, Luke Keary, Apisai Koroisau, Dave Tyrrell, Irae Simone, Ben Lowe, Chris McQueen, Ben Te'o (c), John Sutton, Cameron McInnes, Kyle Turner, Lote Tuqiri.

Dragons
Josh Dugan, Brett Morris (c), Dylan Farrell, Nathan Green, Jason Nightingale, Adam Quinlan, Sam Williams, Jack de Belin, Mitch Rein, Tyson Frizell, Leeson Ah Mau, Joel Thompson, Trent Merrin, Bronson Harrison, Michael Witt, Craig Garvey

Roosters
Mitchell Pearce (c), Jake Friend (c), Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Aidan Guerra, Kane Evans, Daniel Tupou, Samisoni Langi, Jackson Hastings, Dylan Napa, Isaac Liu, Nene Macdonald, Jonathon Rueben, Paul Rokolati, Rhyse Martin, Saulala Houma, Siosiua Taukeiaho, Brad Fittler

Warriors
Jayson Bukuya, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Glen Fisiiahi, David Fusitua, Charlie Gubb, Konrad Hurrell, Sebastine Ikahihifo, Shaun Johnson, Solomone Kata, Ngani Laumape, Tuimoala Lolohea, Sione Lousi, Suaia Matagi, Dominique Peyroux, Sam Tomkins, Carlos Tuimavave.

Wests Tigers
James Tedesco, Pat Richards, Bodene Thompson, Marika Koroibete, Mitchell Moses, Blake Austin, Aaron Woods, Robbie Farah (c), Martin Taupau, Cory Paterson, Curtis Sironen, Adam Blair, Manaia Cherrington, Kurtis Rowe, James Gavet, Ben Murdoch-Masila (17th Man: Delouise Hoeter).

The draw

The four pools for the inaugural tournament are:

• (YELLOW) Warriors, Raiders, Sea Eagles and Cowboys
• (GREEN) Roosters, Eels, Broncos and Bulldogs
• (BLUE) Sharks, Knights, Tigers and Titans
• (RED) Storm, Panthers, Rabbitohs and Dragons.

The matches, played over nine-minute halves, will run over two days on February 15 and 16 at Eden Park.

The full draw is as follows:

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 15
Game 1. Sharks v Knights – 12.35pm (local time)
Game 2. Wests Tigers v Titans – 1pm
Game 3. Roosters v Eels – 1.25pm
Game 4. Broncos v Bulldogs – 1.50pm
Game 5. Warriors v Raiders – 2.25pm
Game 6. Sea Eagles v Cowboys – 2.50pm
Game 7. Storm v Panthers – 3.15pm
Game 8. Rabbitohs v Dragons – 3.40pm
Game 9. Sharks v Wests Tigers – 4.20pm
Game 10. Knights v Titans – 4.45pm
Game 11. Roosters v Broncos – 5.10pm
Game 12. Eels v Bulldogs – 5.35pm
Game 13. Warriors v Sea Eagles – 6.10pm
Game 14. Raiders v Cowboys – 6.35pm
Game 15. Storm v Rabbitohs – 7pm
Game 16. Panthers v Dragons – 7.25pm

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 16
Game 17. Sharks v Titans – 12pm
Game 18. Knights v Wests Tigers – 12.25pm
Game 19. Roosters v Bulldogs – 12.50pm
Game 20. Eels v Broncos – 1.15pm
Game 21. Warriors v Cowboys – 1.45pm
Game 22. Raiders v Sea Eagles – 2.10pm
Game 23. Storm v Dragons – 2.35pm
Game 24. Panthers v Rabbitohs – 3pm
1st Quarter-Final (1st Blue v 2nd Green) – 3.30pm
2nd Quarter-Final (1st Green v 2nd Blue) – 3.55pm
3rd Quarter-Final (1st Yellow v 2nd Red) – 4.20pm
4th Quarter-Final (1st Red v 2nd Yellow) – 4.45pm
1st Semi-Final (Winner QF 1 v Winner QF 2) – 5.45pm
2nd Semi-Final (Winner QF 3 v Winner QF 4)– 6.10pm
Final – 7.30pm

The 'Bonus Zone' remains a terrible idea but the other rules seem okish. 5 minute sinbin is way too much in this format. Warriors should win comfortably :colbert:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You can also buy a weekly pass on the NRL live app for $2 if you don't have foxtel to watch all the games.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
As I pointed out in the A-League thread:

quote:

If your feeling dirty, I'm between places and am using Foxtel Play (The IPTV service) for my sports fix (And secret Bargain Hunt Fetish), and it's not too bad and beats a shity stream hands down. If your stuck with Telstra for a landline provider, it's quota free.

For $50 bucks a month it can delvier all your A-League and other pay-tv sporting needs without a contract, and no sign up fee.

Alternatively if you have a really good mate or relly with Foxtel, grab their online log in and use Foxtel Go for nix. It's free for up to three devices, but cant be used on Samsung TV's. Up until the move I was doing this for my mate in the Gong, and i'm up here on the central coast, and there was no drama llama. When I complete the move, i'll give a log in to my inlaws as thanks for putting up with me.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

4:20
Smoke sharkies errry day

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Ilyich posted:

Whatever they did, I hope they keep doing it. :v:

Luke Walsh has utterly bossed the 1st half, was he this effective in the NRL?

I still believe that Penrith made a big mistake in letting him go, he was really good when he came back from NSW Cup last year. There's no way Soward or Wallace is an improvement on him.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

There's no way Soward is an improvement on anyone.

Watching the dragons play hull, has hull's kicker ever kicked a goal before? I do like the video ref now but the ground announcer thing is a bit silly, especially with him being so unsure of himself. It puts me in the mind of a high school swim meet with a gawky teenager trying to announce results over a squeaky megaphone.

E: also the ref headset is hilarious looking. The guy looks like he's out of an eighties gym.

iajanus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 14, 2014

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Luke Walsh had probably his best ever season last year, but it mostly came after Gould had already shitcanned him for this season and signed Soward and Wallace who are both worse at everything.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

What a finish! Hilarious that so many missed goals decided it, especially with so many being from close to the posts.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

So far this tournament opening is atrociously dull.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Knights vs Sharks should be a cracker though

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Stars of the tournament will be Johnson, Uate, Dave Taylor. Warriors to win.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the Warriors won't have time to fall asleep with 9 minute halves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Oh great they're going to show us the teamlists in a format that makes it impossible to register who is actually playing :bravo:

• Locked thread