Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

LvK posted:

So, my buddies and I love watching cool wrestling, and we also love cohesive narratives, so tournaments own.

What are some really good wrestling tournaments? WWE, puro, lucha, indie, whatever. We've seen King of Trios 2009, the J-Crown, the Super J Cup 1994, RINGS Mega Battle Tournament 1992, the 1989 G1 Climax/NJPW World Cup Tournament, the original IWA King of the Deathmatch (had a gorehound join us for a tiny bit), and parts of the 2013 G1 Climax.

what we're looking for in particular:
-More American/European stuff, including WWE
-Some stuff from puro companies besides NJPW (especially AJPW) (though more good NJPW ones would be nice too)
-Lucha
-Women's wrestling (probably an emphasis on Joshi)
-not garbage wrestling.

Not every match has to be good, or anything. Just an overall fun package. If one or two matches are particularly heinous, we'll just learn to live with fast-forwarding.

All the King of Trios shows are great, though 2007 and 2008 are a little too long and 2008 has some iffy booking. In terms of a great narrative, watching 2010 and 2011 one after the other works really well. Plus 2011 has the 1-2-3 Kid during the one week in the last few years where he was in tip-top shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

What's corrupt about boxing?

Or, what's the proper thread to ask about corruption in boxing?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Nostradingus posted:

What's corrupt about boxing?

Or, what's the proper thread to ask about corruption in boxing?

You're better off asking either here or here

short answer to ur q: everything

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Halloween Jack posted:

According to his interviews, the Ultimate Warrior "was sent in a capsule, from a place far from here." He claims that he was given the power of the Ultimate Warrior in "[his] final meeting with the gods from the heavens above." He's also said that he can "feel the power, floating through the veins, of the warriors," and that he "feel[s] the injection from the gods above," further implying that these mysterious gods are the source of his power. To date, Warrior's gods have yet to be implicated in any of the steroid scandals surrounding the WWF/WWE.

Warrior made frequent references groups of "warriors" other than himself. Information on these other warriors is scant, consisting entirely of cryptic, poetic references. Warrior has stated that "the family that [he] live[s] for only breathes the air that smells of combat," and that he "looks to the skeletons of warriors past." He has also discussed loading a spaceship with rocket fuel so that it could be boarded by the warriors.

The emergent narrative seems to be that the Ultimate Warrior is a member of a caste of slave-soldiers, who serve a technologically advanced alien race whom they do not understand and regard with religious reverence. The Ultimate Warrior, as his name implies, is possibly the greatest and the last surviving member of this race. Warrior has said that he "live[s] for anger and frustration" and that "nightmares are the best part of [his] day." In context with his statements about his fellow warriors, this implies post-traumatic stress resulting from conflicts fought under orders from his alien masters. His statements clearly imply that they used their technology to grant him physical enhancements, explaining his ability to survive suffocation, cobra venom, and poisoning by an expert practitioner of voodoo.

The one thing this doesn't touch upon is The Sacrifice. He was big on making The Sacrifice, whatever it was, and it apparently involved airline pilots. Where do crashing airplanes come into this? And what does it have to do with the mysterious being called Ho Kogan?

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

I thought it was really cool how they had a thing for like a month of Matt Hardy trying to cut to 220 so he could be in the Cruiserweight division in like 2005 or whatever.

Or Commissioner Foley making Christian work off a few extra pounds by wearing Kurt Angle's chicken suit :allears:

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
I caught some of a TNA PPV last night (they're free in the UK - don't judge) and I noticed Bad Influence owe a LOT to the New Age Outlaws in terms of how they conduct themselves, particularly in cutting promos.

A) Is this intentional?
B) Were they doing it before the NOA started appearing so frequently recently?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

sticklefifer posted:

The one thing this doesn't touch upon is The Sacrifice. He was big on making The Sacrifice, whatever it was, and it apparently involved airline pilots. Where do crashing airplanes come into this? And what does it have to do with the mysterious being called Ho Kogan?

"The Sacrifice" is necessary for him to have teleporting powers, though he failed to complete the job on British Bulldog in WCW and thus was only able to teleport a relatively short distance.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

According to his interviews, the Ultimate Warrior "was sent in a capsule, from a place far from here." He claims that he was given the power of the Ultimate Warrior in "[his] final meeting with the gods from the heavens above." He's also said that he can "feel the power, floating through the veins, of the warriors," and that he "feel[s] the injection from the gods above," further implying that these mysterious gods are the source of his power. To date, Warrior's gods have yet to be implicated in any of the steroid scandals surrounding the WWF/WWE.

Warrior made frequent references groups of "warriors" other than himself. Information on these other warriors is scant, consisting entirely of cryptic, poetic references. Warrior has stated that "the family that [he] live[s] for only breathes the air that smells of combat," and that he "looks to the skeletons of warriors past." He has also discussed loading a spaceship with rocket fuel so that it could be boarded by the warriors.

The emergent narrative seems to be that the Ultimate Warrior is a member of a caste of slave-soldiers, who serve a technologically advanced alien race whom they do not understand and regard with religious reverence. The Ultimate Warrior, as his name implies, is possibly the greatest and the last surviving member of this race. Warrior has said that he "live[s] for anger and frustration" and that "nightmares are the best part of [his] day." In context with his statements about his fellow warriors, this implies post-traumatic stress resulting from conflicts fought under orders from his alien masters. His statements clearly imply that they used their technology to grant him physical enhancements, explaining his ability to survive suffocation, cobra venom, and poisoning by an expert practitioner of voodoo.

This right here is the best thing I've ever read on SA. You are a prince. I hope you do this to every absurd thing you encounter in your life.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

"The Sacrifice" is necessary for him to have teleporting powers, though he failed to complete the job on British Bulldog in WCW and thus was only able to teleport a relatively short distance.

Then what about Santa?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵

bobkatt013 posted:

Then what about Santa?

He has already made the Sacrifice.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

magnum_valentino posted:

I caught some of a TNA PPV last night (they're free in the UK - don't judge) and I noticed Bad Influence owe a LOT to the New Age Outlaws in terms of how they conduct themselves, particularly in cutting promos.

A) Is this intentional?
B) Were they doing it before the NOA started appearing so frequently recently?

Bad Influence have been a team or a couple years now, so probably. And it wouldn't surprise me if it were intentional, the Outlaws were a fun team the first time around. Hell, I'm one of the few around here who likes having them back (although I agree with the sentiment that they probably shouldn't be tag champs at this point in their careers).

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Bad Influence have been a team or a couple years now, so probably. And it wouldn't surprise me if it were intentional, the Outlaws were a fun team the first time around. Hell, I'm one of the few around here who likes having them back (although I agree with the sentiment that they probably shouldn't be tag champs at this point in their careers).

If they were better in the ring (Such as not letting Cody die), and if they weren't champions, I wouldn't necessarily mind having them, especially since WWE seems to have decided that every tag team must dissolve except for the Usos. On the surface the NAO seems like it could be a fun little tag team to just have once in a while.

However, they're pretty bad in the ring, and they're tag champs.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

To be fair, I'm not sure what the hell Road Dogg could have done better on that moonsault. He wasn't directly under him and Cody clearly wasn't looking where he was flipping. It was probably a miscommunication, but once Cody was going there wasn't much that was going to stop him (short of Billy being there too. Which would have been a real good idea, but I don't lay out matches).

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Halloween Jack posted:

This is incredible. You're incredible. This is a better answer than I could have ever hoped for, thank you.

Pinstripe Hourglass fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 13, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Did Flair ever refuse to job the belt to anybody when he was NWA/WCW champ up through the mid 90s?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Did Flair ever refuse to job the belt to anybody when he was NWA/WCW champ up through the mid 90s?

Yes in 1991 Jim Herd told Flair to drop the title to Luger. Flair said no he agreed to drop it to Sting, and then he offered Barry Windham. Herd said no, so Flair said gently caress you I am going to the WWF and taking the title with me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes in 1991 Jim Herd told Flair to drop the title to Luger. Flair said no he agreed to drop it to Sting, and then he offered Barry Windham. Herd said no, so Flair said gently caress you I am going to the WWF and taking the title with me.

I think it was actually:

Flair: gently caress you I'm going to WWF
Herd: Then give me my belt back!
Flair: Well I'm the one who paid the deposit on it, give me that money back and you can have your belt
Herd: No, give me the belt AND I keep your money!
Vince McMahon: :getin:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So why did Flair end up leaving WWF in just over a year? I have a hard time believing Vince really couldn't think of anything interesting to do with him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DeathChicken posted:

So why did Flair end up leaving WWF in just over a year? I have a hard time believing Vince really couldn't think of anything interesting to do with him.

I think it was that Flair was not being pushed as much as he wanted to be. Herd left and Flair needed the content humaliation that WCW would give him.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

Flair was diagnosed with an inner ear disorder that was thought to be potentially career ending. Vince had him drop the belt to Bret right away and then when they learned that Flair's issue wasn't as serious as they first thought, they had already planned around him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I had heard that part of it was that Flair and McMahon had an agreement going in that if Flair didn't like how he was being booked, he was welcome to leave. After he dropped the title, he got tossed into the feud with Mr. Perfect that kept him out of the main event. Flair agreed to put Perfect over and left the company.

I suspect Bob Backlund lasting from #2 to the end of the 93 Royal Rumble being a way to wipe away Flair's record in the same way they had Orton become champ just so Lesnar was no longer the youngest.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I think the Flair/Hogan program not catching fire like they wanted had a part in him leaving as well. But basically the story goes that Flair & McMahon mutually agreed to let him leave the company, and he went back to WCW on good terms.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

You have your stories mixed up. Flair agreed to drop it to Sting for what became Sting's run in 1990 with the infamous Black Scorpion. Sting got injured and Herd started getting anxious and wanted Flair to drop it to Luger. Flair said no, I promised Sting I'd drop it to him, that's the plan, we're sticking to it.

Flair also refused to drop the belt to Luger in the incident which led to Dusty getting fired and going to the WWF.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

This is incredible. You're incredible. This is a better answer than I could have ever hoped for, thank you.
You're welcome...but I'm still reviewing the primary sources. Later this evening I hope to be able to offer a brief exegesis on Warrior's obsession with his unseen rival, Ho Kogan.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Wasn't Flair's thing that Vince just didn't want see him in the main event long-term? He got the Randy Savage/CM Punk spot in WWF, so he went back to WCW where he could be a top dog. Then Hogan came.

Halloween Jack posted:

You're welcome...but I'm still reviewing the primary sources. Later this evening I hope to be able to offer a brief exegesis on Warrior's obsession with his unseen rival, Ho Kogan.

More hyped for this than Wrestlemania.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

So he's a saiyan?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 13, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Just off the top of my head, that also qualifies him to be a Kryptonian, a Robeast, or H.P. Lovecraft's "The Colour Out of Space."

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Perhaps he is some combination of all of those things, and that is what makes him the Ultimate Warrior.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Endorph posted:

So he's a saiyan?

Prince Vegita by the sounds of it.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Gonzo McFee posted:

Prince Vegita by the sounds of it.

An avatar of Khorne, the god of blood and skulls.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Seems strange that Flair would drop the belt to Ronnie Garvin and KVE, but not Lex Luger.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bigass Moth posted:

Seems strange that Flair would drop the belt to Ronnie Garvin and KVE, but not Lex Luger.

Garvin was getting huge reactions and was mainly there so Flair could get a big win at Starrcade. Kerry was almost a must given the circumstances. Every time he was told to job to Luger it was for political/humiliation purposes so he knew better.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Flair lasting a year was probably for the best. He always felt very alien in the WWF, since it was a very over the top, cartoonish company that was getting even more cartoonish.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Flair doesn't work when he's cartoony because his personality is already so strong that you buy that he's Cokelord Bonerhitler IRL. He always fit in better in the southern style.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

No one wanted to be a lame duck champion so they asked everyone until someone said yes. That person was Garvin.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Luigi Thirty posted:

Flair doesn't work when he's cartoony because his personality alcoholic breath is already so strong that you buy that he's Cokelord Boozehound Bonerhitler IRL. He always fit in better in the southern style.

Fixed this for you.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

How close was Chyna to a World Championship run, if at all?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Well, she did get #30 in the 1999 Royal Rumble and she was in the 2000 Rumble as well.

It's kind of a shame that WWE no longer acknowledges her existence (they even removed her co-title reign with Jericho,) when in a lot of ways Chyna was treated more progressively than Divas are today. I wonder how much of that can be attributed to her porn career rather than the influence of Stephanie and HHH.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Which begs the question: How much of the that is Hellwig taking creative liberties and how much is Vince's coked up ramblings?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Considering that Warrior has continued with his insane bullshit long after leaving WWF/E (WCW, his website, his speaking tours) I'm fairly certain it's the former.

sticklefifer posted:

There's only one outside force that we can say, with absolute certainty, has influenced the Ultimate Warrior: a mysterious and yet-unseen entity named Ho Kogan. Like much else concerning the Warrior, all that we know of Ho Kogan comes from passing references and rambling accusations, often addressed to Ho Kogan himself.

The reason for Warrior's animosity isn't certain, but in an early interview, Warrior claimed that his enemy "interfered with his pathways" and that he interrupted Warrior's attempt to "communicate with [his] warriors" and his "gods above." In the same interview he claimed that Ho Kogan "controlled a forcefield around" himself that was responsible for these disruptions. Essentially, Ho Kogan is central to the Ultimate Warrior's mythos not because of what Warrior has to say about him, but because while addressing him, Warrior reveals many insights into his own belief system. The vast majority of the Ultimate Warrior's diatribes against Ho Kogan appeared during the promotion of his career-defining match at Wrestlemania VI.

In an interview with "Mean" Gene Okerlund on Saturday Night's Main Event, the Ultimate Warrior said that what passes between he and Ho Kogan was "already written a long time ago" by the "warriors who came before." He identifies Ho Kogan as a man surrounded by "walls built with fear" but that the Warrior "needs not [Ho Kogan's] protection." The Warrior then says that the "warriors that could not come have attached theirselves [sic] to the outer structure." Although the Warrior says this while gesturing towards Ultimate Warrior memorabilia decorating the walls, he goes on to say that the warriors are "seeping through," "feeding [him]," and "riding on [his] back." The Ultimate Warrior seems to believe that the warriors are familiar spirits which give him strength, which are disembodied and yet somehow attached to his body. This strikes me as very similar to the belief in "thetans" in Scientology, which is a fitting comparison, given that Warrior's belief system syncretizes science fiction and mythology.

Later, in an appearance on The Arsenio Hall Show, the Ultimate Warrior insisted that he did not "disrespect" Ho Kogan, but that he must defeat him because "Ho Kogan is the greatest," implying a grudging respect for his enemy. He went on to say that the "power of the warriors flows through his veins." If the theory concerning the "warriors" being artificially enhanced soldiers of an alien race is correct, the Warrior may rationalize his enhancements as a gift from his familiar spirits. Warrior claimed that his warriors would "cling to the ceiling of the Skydome" during his upcoming championship match.

The Ultimate Warrior also addressed the theme of sacrifice in an answer to Hall's question regarding how he should be addressed. He replied that "those who have made small sacrifices call him U.W.," but that those who have "made no sacrifices" must call him the Ultimate Warrior. However, Warrior did not insist on his convention within the World Wrestling Federation. The Ultimate Warrior often discussed "normals" and "normal people" in disparaging terms; perhaps he categorically accords a measure of respect to fellow professional wrestlers, even those for him he has expressed disgust (such as Rick Rude).

In another promo addressed directly to Ho Kogan, the Ultimate Warrior states that "There were warriors that made similar sacrifices. Injected themselves with the poison of mankind, knowing that they would give it all! Everything they had! The armies that followed them, the believers with no film over their eyes; they believed, Ho Kogan, that the gods of one last battle was worth losing it all!" Again, the Warrior conflates the meme of intravenous injection with that of totemic spiritualism. He refers to the "pack of warriors that rides [his] back," raising connotations of intravenous drug addiction.

The Ultimate Warrior continues his challenge to Hogan by stating, "The deeper I went in to the darkness, the closer I came to the light, and in that light, Ho Kogan, there was a shadow. A man that had walls; walls in himself, not willing to give it all! Ho Kogan, I am reality. I am the frustration that your mankind has swept under the carpet for years...but Ho Kogan, I have creeped [sic] out like a slime." Although it appears that Warrior employs a mixed metaphor, references to light, shadow, creeping slime, and contempt for humanity, along with his claim to have arrived on Earth from a "capsule" from "parts unknown" reminds one of the pernicious cosmic entity in H.P. Lovecraft's short story "The Colour Out of Space." In any case, it appears that the Ultimate Warrior acknowledges and respects Ho Kogan's power, but considers him self-deluded and cowardly. He promised to present Ho Kogan "the ultimate challenge, the ultimate reality."

Shortly before this "challenge," the Ultimate Warrior had announced his intention to abduct Ho Kogan by seizing control of his private plane and murdering his pilots, intending to abduct Ho Kogan to "Parts Unknown." As Warrior references his own ostensible point of origin, Warrior may have been planning to subject Ho Kogan to a final reckoning with his "gods."

The Ultimate Warrior's match at Wrestlemania VI occurred without incident, and he defeated Hulk Hogan to unify his Intercontinental Championship with the WWF World Heavyweight Championship. There was no evident confrontation with Ho Kogan, and references to him thereafter became rare. If Ho Kogan only existed as a delusion suffered by the Ultimate Warrior, it's likely that winning the World Heavyweight Championship alleviated the Warrior's psychological stress, and that he successfully confronted Ho Kogan as part of an internal experience.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

There was no evident confrontation with Ho Kogan, and references to him thereafter became rare. If Ho Kogan only existed as a delusion suffered by the Ultimate Warrior, it's likely that winning the World Heavyweight Championship alleviated the Warrior's psychological stress, and that he successfully confronted Ho Kogan as part of an internal experience.

If only watching two guys bite each other's tongues and tell jokes could have translated to buyrates on PPV :smith:

Wonderful write-up, thank you.