Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

KV to test Saavedra:

http://www.racer.com/index.php/component/flexicontent/345-latest-stories/101066-indycar-rebuilding-kvsh-racing-to-test-saavedra-at-sonoma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Bentai posted:

Nigel Mansell?

:drat:

That made me laugh fairly hard.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Speaking of ex-open wheel guys running stockcars, Mario Dominguez is running NASCAR Mexico this year.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

ICS posted the Indy road course trophy:
https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/432174186400710656

I think it's quite nice, if a little busy.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Idk, I would like Hildebrand to get another full time shot. Same for Vautier, Hawksworth, and Karam. I like Felipe Nasr, Sam Bird, and Fabio Leimer too but I think those guys are heart set on F1.

Jakes, Simona, and Oriol are sorta perma-mid packers in my view, so I'd be happy if they got a ride... but honestly would be more excited by the young guys getting a chance.

Servia's a good guy, and if there's a guy you want to bring in to play the role of veteran to a high potential rookie? Great choice. But agree, he's just never really done much in his career. He can get you top 5's and top 10's, but beyond that? Well, he's not going to be winning you races.

They seem to have a decent ladder system from what I can see, it seems to lack the ability of getting teams to take chances on the talent though.

Someone like let's say Karem or Newgarden may have won at every level, but if the choice is between this new hotshot, or some Venezualen driver with a ton of oil money behind them, who are they going to go with?

I'm almost of the belief that perhaps it'd be wise of IndyCar to hire some sort of middle man to help teams and drivers find sponsors. It's not so much that Penske, Ganassi, and Andretti need that, but it would sure help out the Sam Schmidt's and Sarah Fisher's of the world.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm almost of the belief that perhaps it'd be wise of IndyCar to hire some sort of middle man to help teams and drivers find sponsors. It's not so much that Penske, Ganassi, and Andretti need that, but it would sure help out the Sam Schmidt's and Sarah Fisher's of the world.

This would be an amazing idea and is the best way to increase the field size. It already looks like there's gonna be less and 25 full-time drivers and they're gonna have a hard time getting 33 at Indy...

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I swear I remember Steve Olvey mentioning in Rapid Response that CART had a guy who was a liason for drivers who could not find sponsorship.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I swear I remember Steve Olvey mentioning in Rapid Response that CART had a guy who was a liason for drivers who could not find sponsorship.

Mental note. Need to get that book

I think you need 30 seats full-time in the series, with 28 actually qualifying for any given race*

*Except at Indianapolis, Pocono and Fontana. Triple Crown events get 35 seats (40 for Indy), and 33 spots in the field.

It is needed though. There's always that tale of Jeff Gordon going to Indy owners, and them telling him "You need money kid", then going over to NASCAR.

The easiest way to tackle that problem is to have a system like this. It should not matter if you're a USAC Triple Crown winner, Indy Lights Champion, or a winner in GP2. If you're looking to be involved in the series, have the talent, and want to win? You should not be turned away.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I love how it's been 6 years since the merger and getting 33 cars for Indy is STILL a struggle. :ughh:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Well the damage had already been done a long time before the merger. FUTG!

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I love how it's been 6 years since the merger and getting 33 cars for Indy is STILL a struggle. :ughh:

Merging one dying series with another dying series wasn't ever going to be a recipe for success.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

CactusWeasle posted:

Merging one dying series with another dying series wasn't ever going to be a recipe for success.

What if they merged IndyCar with Champ Car for a second time? :aaaaa:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Plourde would would make us happily reminisce about Jimmie's glory years.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CART after Penske, Andretti, Ganassi, Rahal, Walker and Fernandez bailed should have just merged completely at that point.

I guess Forsythe was tempted to sell off the assets to Formula 1 as well, which would not have been terrible option either. (always wondered how that would have played out. I imagine Road America, Mexico City, Toronto, and Long Beach would have become F1 events).

Regardless the healing could have began quite a bit earlier. You could have had one recognized sanctioning body for AOWR, and one that would have been able to heal better in a decent economic environment.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

That's one way to look at things.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

FuzzySkinner posted:

CART after Penske, Andretti, Ganassi, Rahal, Walker and Fernandez bailed should have just merged completely at that point.

I guess Forsythe was tempted to sell off the assets to Formula 1 as well, which would not have been terrible option either. (always wondered how that would have played out. I imagine Road America, Mexico City, Toronto, and Long Beach would have become F1 events).

Regardless the healing could have began quite a bit earlier. You could have had one recognized sanctioning body for AOWR, and one that would have been able to heal better in a decent economic environment.

I don't think any of those tracks, asides from maybe Mexico City, would be suitable for F1. Monaco is the only track where safety is ignored to that degree. Half the best CART tracks were so dangerous.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Getting to 33 cars at Indy will always be a big deal because the series cant run 33 full time and the one offs don't really have much of a chance. Yes, I know, Wheldon, but that was a bizarre ending and Dan isn't around anymore...

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

FuzzySkinner posted:

Not a hope in hell.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Isn't one of the big problems in getting 33 engine supply? Honda and Chevy weren't willing to supply more than they needed to fill the field, especially if it might piss off their clients for the full year. This wasn't a huge problem immediately post-split, because there were loads of the old 3.5 litre engine floating around, and simply being one supplier meant that there wasn't an alternative if they ended up pissing off a full time team. It was the same thing after 2003 until reunification (made worse because there were only 17 full time cars rather than 26; which meant that they needed to find a bunch more cars)...

I think that we'll only get 34 at Indy again this year sadly; but hopefully the 34th car will be close enough to make whatever qualifying day is used to fill the field semi-interesting - and at least we aren't needing to use cars 20mph off the pace to fill the field!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcisTKt3Os0#t=10

Verizon Team Penske!

Need to get that diecast. Juan's car is pretty awesome.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I wonder if this means that Verizon being the series title sponsor is :rip:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dudley posted:

Not a hope in hell.

Long Beach maybe (it was at one point an F1 race) but the others hells no.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

KV expected to announce tomorrow that Sebastian is joining Sebastien... again. Saavedra to get the second KV seat.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

KV expected to announce tomorrow that Sebastian is joining Sebastien... again. Saavedra to get the second KV seat.

I'm hearing this kid is in line for a top seat somewhere soon. Might even be a champion one day.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

How many Seabass does it take before we can call them a school?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcisTKt3Os0#t=10

Verizon Team Penske!

Need to get that diecast. Juan's car is pretty awesome.

I wonder which eight races they'll be the sponsor for. I get the feeling Juan will have a bigger one-time sponsor for Indy, and maybe different ones for the California races (ala Helio?) but that's just my guess.

Verizon car in red looks a bit better than the black. Penske as always looks professional.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Bentai posted:

How many Seabass does it take before we can call them a school?

Most seen in a single motorsports event is 3 (first nine races of the 2009 F1 season, Buemi, Bourdais and Vettel)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

harperdc posted:

I wonder which eight races they'll be the sponsor for. I get the feeling Juan will have a bigger one-time sponsor for Indy, and maybe different ones for the California races (ala Helio?) but that's just my guess.

Verizon car in red looks a bit better than the black. Penske as always looks professional.

All three cars are gonna be in Verizon colors for a race, I think the Indy GP?. Haven't had a single sponsor on three cars since the first era of Briscoe at Ganassi if my memory is working.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Kind of want to toss a few questions here ITT.

Is this the year we see Marco and Graham live up to the expectations that fans of the series have had since they first started hearing their names in Indy Lights and Formula Atlantics?

Carlos Munoz, race winner this season? Seriously what's his ceiling.

What do we expect to see from Juan at Penske, and Tony Kanaan at Ganassi?

How will Andretti do with Honda?

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Is this the year we see Marco and Graham live up to the expectations that fans of the series have had since they first started hearing their names in Indy Lights and Formula Atlantics?

Not holding out much hope for Graham. He was pretty dismal in 2013 and I'm not sure Guard money or a new engineer can fix it. As for Marco, maybe. He's definitely had some good drives this season, but can't seem to convert them to wins. Meanwhile, his teammates scored several. Bad luck or not enough talent? Hard to say. With new talent like Munoz and old talent like Juan, along with the drivers who were strong last year like Hinch, Dixon, Pagenaud, and others, we might see Marco slip down the order.

I really hope Munoz gets a win, and I think he will. It would be cool as poo poo if he won Indy.

Juan probably won't be as good as his Ganassi days, but I think he'll be strong. I don't expect TK to get worse.

I recall a Sebring test late last year by Hunter-Reay that went well, other than that, I dunno.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

George Zimmer posted:

Not holding out much hope for Graham. He was pretty dismal in 2013 and I'm not sure Guard money or a new engineer can fix it. As for Marco, maybe. He's definitely had some good drives this season, but can't seem to convert them to wins. Meanwhile, his teammates scored several. Bad luck or not enough talent? Hard to say. With new talent like Munoz and old talent like Juan, along with the drivers who were strong last year like Hinch, Dixon, Pagenaud, and others, we might see Marco slip down the order.

I think for Marco I was more impressed by his consistency.

He finished 5th in the points, and was actually the highest finishing Andretti driver in the points.

TK admitted that had the caution not came out Marco was the one he felt would give him the run for his money. Though, I believe Munoz would have been more likely.

I kind of wonder if the merger hurt Graham in a lot of ways. In ChampCar he looked like he had a lot of potential, and had the 2008 season played out, I think he'd have won a few races that season.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think Marco can build on last year and his improvements throughout the year (didn't he lead the points at one stage...?), but Graham may not. New engineer could help, but I too worry he's just not good enough.

I think Munoz could break out for a win or for just a really good points finish. Hard to tell.

I feel like JPM isn't washed up but may be lucky to fluke into a win. I think he's too old now to come back and be a force of nature, but should be competitive. Thinking of that, how long before Helio retires so Penske can get another young(ish) talent in?

Andretti should be fine with Hondas. Don't see much difference to be honest. On the balance, it'll be okay.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

FuzzySkinner posted:

No. Especially Rahal who is simply not that good. Marco.... maybe... if he continues his maturity rise as a driver.

quote:

He could pick one up yes. His biggest problem is that on a day where Andretti is good enough to make that happen for him,

quote:

Juan, either Nigel Mansell 1993 or Nigel Mansell 1994. Tony - Championship run or he wasn't as good as we thought.

quote:

Exactly the same as with Chevy.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I reckon he'll be like da Matta. He'll be around, and maybe score a win in the right circumstances and then he'll hit a deer.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

LordPants posted:

I reckon he'll be like da Matta. He'll be around, and maybe score a win in the right circumstances and then he'll hit a deer.

Oh deer.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think both Marco and Rahal win a race this year. Provided that the switch to Chevy doesn't make Ganassi an unstoppable dominating force, of course.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

I think Munoz could break out for a win or for just a really good points finish. Hard to tell.

He's definitely got a winning pace, and at least at Indy proved he could keep it together for 500 miles - but at Fontana while he was loving fast (and awesome to watch) he pushed it too hard and threw away the race pretty early.

I do want him to win, he's a cool guy and again holy poo poo is he fun to watch.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

You look at Graham's career, and once ChampCar folded? He was kind of hosed.

Going into 2008 he had just come off a season where he finished 5th in the points, and was going to be teammates with Justin Wilson. That's just a good combo right there.

Newman-Haas never really found any success with the Dallaras, and was really just irrelevant during it's entire ICS tenure.

He goes to Ganassi, runs on the B-Team, and just struggles to find relevance there.

I think RLL just didn't have a good engine package. Hell, Honda in general kind of sucked the first half of the season hence why I asked the Andretti question.

I still kind of wonder if Marco was rushed too quickly into ICS. I mean he had a great deal of success for '06 at the 500, but he really seemed to have been going through quite a few growing pains since then.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

quote:

Jenna Fryer ‏@JennaFryer 31m

Simona de Silvestro's 2014 plans will be announced in Switzerland on Friday. Look for info around 5:30 am Eastern

Unless shes getting sponsored by Nestle or something, looks like Simona won't be in an IndyCar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

FuzzySkinner posted:

Nobody expects anything from Marco.

• Locked thread