Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They have like one each of their recent releases at my local store that doesn't even carry many new releases. I actually picked up the Room 237 soundtrack on a recommendation yesterday. Point being I think they're easily available unless you forget about them for like a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Personperson14 posted:

You're not a dad born in the early 60s is likely the reason. They're not really the band that seems to span generations with popularity. Which in my opinion is the definition of the term "dad rock"

Nope, born in the 70s. But I like a lot of country rock. I could listen to the flying burrito bros all day. I like classic rock schlock like foreigner, the fuckin doobie brothers, bad company. That stuffs inoffensive enough. But is rather shoot myself than listen to Lying Eyes or Peaceful Easy Feeling one more time.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Eagles were good, and then they went pop.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

https://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/2014-artist-in-residence-jad-fair.html posted:

Throughout 2014 Jad Fair will be the official "Artist In Residence" at Joyful Noise. As part of his residency he will be creating no less than FOUR full-length albums throughout the year, each a unique collaboration with other artists. These four LPs are:

Jad Fair & R Stevie Moore
Jad Fair & Danielson
Jad Fair & Norman Blake (of Teenage Fanclub)
Jad Fair & Strobe Talbot

Well isn't that fancy. I loved the Jad Fair and Teenage Fanclub album, so looking forward to the collaboration with Norman Blake. Shame there's no album with Jason Willet though, 'Enjoyable Songs' was great.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

God I want those Twin Peaks soundtracks so drat bad. Anyone have a guess at how much they might go for?

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

cosmicjim posted:

Eagles were good, and then they went pop.

imo Chicago is the same way. Only replace pop with lovely and sappy music. This is my favorite live album of all time. Luckily it seems to be pretty common at the local record store. I have two copies.

EDIT: I don't think the allmusic review in the wiki is accurate. For me, the non amplified instruments come through quite well. Perhaps he was reviewing a lovely cd copy. In any case, the Live in Japan album is pretty good I guess. I've only ever heard it on Spotify.

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 13, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Hummingbirds posted:

God I want those Twin Peaks soundtracks so drat bad. Anyone have a guess at how much they might go for?

Probably 30-35ish like every Death Waltz release.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

CPL593H posted:

Probably 30-35ish like every Death Waltz release.

And if it's anything like the one DW release I own, They Live, it'll be well worth it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

And if it's anything like the one DW release I own, They Live, it'll be well worth it.

I have a bunch of them and they all sound great, buy more. Everyone buy more Death Waltz records.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'd be very tempted to get some Death Waltz if they were $10-15 less. Sometimes it sucks being a cheapskate. There are a few on Discogs in my under-$15 sweet spot though, with Twins of Evil, Horror Business, the Goblin tour record, and The Devil's Business all coming in under $13.

:10bux::fh:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I remember the music in Twin Peaks being godawful. What am I forgetting? Was the soundtrack they released different from what they played on the show?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

BigFactory posted:

I remember the music in Twin Peaks being godawful. What am I forgetting? Was the soundtrack they released different from what they played on the show?

I will fight you with broken vinyl shards.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I will fight you with broken vinyl shards.

I remember the awful lounge song, the song the motorcycle guy wrote, and like the opening intro music. I loved Twin Peaks and the music was perfect for the show I guess, but I'd never want to listen to any of it. Are you buying this just to have it?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

The second volume was honestly much better than the first and I listen to it while I study sometimes. I would definitely buy both though given the chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8P-y82AMu8

Hummingbirds fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 13, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

BigFactory posted:

I remember the awful lounge song, the song the motorcycle guy wrote, and like the opening intro music. I loved Twin Peaks and the music was perfect for the show I guess, but I'd never want to listen to any of it. Are you buying this just to have it?

Eh, no. That show is full of great music besides the intro. Some of the most iconic in TV history, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQg5WUhMP90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSkqrig-jHU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnMS9zaPJOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7psOw0ilJl4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hOERnIuvbg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2-fAYJTxAE

e: hahahah Twin Peaks (DJ Dado Remix)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkKyKSnrTSk

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 13, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, that's the music I remember. Lots of bad synth, purposefully campy at times. Worked for the show, but is it particularly impressive on technical merits? Not really. Particularly emotionally stirring? Not really. It's melancholy sometimes (to the point of being maudlin), but really more silly than anything else.

Is it iconic TV music? I guess so. The Flintstones theme song is even more iconic. Iconic music in TV history is something I rarely, if ever, want to listen to. But I guess we disagree. And I get the collection aspect of it, if you're a fan of the show and want the soundtrack, I just can't ever picture purposefully listening to it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If it's not amazing music then why was it on everyones favorite compilation album Pure Moods, huh?! :colbert:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

BigFactory posted:

Yeah, that's the music I remember. Lots of bad synth, purposefully campy at times. Worked for the show, but is it particularly impressive on technical merits? Not really. Particularly emotionally stirring? Not really. It's melancholy sometimes (to the point of being maudlin), but really more silly than anything else.

Is it iconic TV music? I guess so. The Flintstones theme song is even more iconic. Iconic music in TV history is something I rarely, if ever, want to listen to. But I guess we disagree. And I get the collection aspect of it, if you're a fan of the show and want the soundtrack, I just can't ever picture purposefully listening to it.

It's an acquired taste I guess. I love its campiness mixed with a very real sense of unease. Which is just like the show.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

BigFactory posted:

Look at you, wow what an awful opinion. Just awful and bad. Bleh!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's an acquired taste I guess. I love its campiness mixed with a very real sense of unease. Which is just like the show.

I think it's like the show, too, but like the second half of the second season.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

BigFactory posted:

I think it's like the show, too, but like the second half of the second season.

Now you're just going way overboard. Like way way overboard.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Now you're just going way overboard. Like way way overboard.

It's the sound of people in paper mache chess pieces in cabins for some reason. It's the sound of the goofiest scene with the orchid guy they shoehorned in.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Twin Peaks has great music, but man did they overuse a bunch of the themes.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BigFactory posted:

And I don't know what to tell you about the Eagles. I've never gotten the appeal. Especially their hits.

I guess you had to grow up in the 70s. Or something.

"Take It to the Limit" is my favorite Eagles' song and it wasn't written by Henley or Frey. A fact that probably still pisses them off.

Eagles trivia: Randy Meisner (who wrote the above tune) was briefly in another Southern California band, Poco. He got the boot from that band and was replaced by Timothy B. Schmidt. He later joined the Eagles. When he left, he was replaced by, yes, Timothy B. Schmidt.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

I guess you had to grow up in the 70s. Or something.

"Take It to the Limit" is my favorite Eagles' song and it wasn't written by Henley or Frey. A fact that probably still pisses them off.

Eagles trivia: Randy Meisner (who wrote the above tune) was briefly in another Southern California band, Poco. He got the boot from that band and was replaced by Timothy B. Schmidt. He later joined the Eagles. When he left, he was replaced by, yes, Timothy B. Schmidt.

That's like someone defending creed and saying you had to grow up in the 90's.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

BigFactory posted:

That's like someone defending creed and saying you had to grow up in the 90's.

Yeah, but it's hard to explain why some people like some things and others don't. I liked the Eagles up to Hotel California. As mentioned above, people of a certain age are very likely to have the Eagles 1971-75 hits album along with Frampton Comes Alive and Dark Side of the Moon (yes, I have all three).

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
What are our thoughts on the Byrds (speaking of dadrock)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Depeche Mode are reissuing all their albums this year on vinyl, so today I went ahead and picked up my favorite (and IMO their best):

Listening to it now. Rush is making my walls vibrate.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

HD DAD posted:

Depeche Mode are reissuing all their albums this year on vinyl, so today I went ahead and picked up my favorite (and IMO their best):

Listening to it now. Rush is making my walls vibrate.

Man, I'm jealous. Last year I bought a bunch of the 2007/2008 reissues so I can't justify any of the four that just got released.

Would like to get Playing the Angel when it gets reissued in a few months though.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Hummingbirds posted:

Man, I'm jealous. Last year I bought a bunch of the 2007/2008 reissues so I can't justify any of the four that just got released.

Would like to get Playing the Angel when it gets reissued in a few months though.

PTA is a definite buy, since I think the copies out in the wild now go for pretty steep. It's also just a great album. Though I wonder if it'll get the double disc treatment it got last time.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

beergod posted:

What are our thoughts on the Byrds (speaking of dadrock)

Don't speak ill on the Byrds. Don't you dare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCuq46WypPw A song like this is just so cool and powerful. However, they are one of those bands that has to be heard in mono. The mixes are perfect. The band really comes together in a way that the terrible stereo mixes can't even approach. Honestly, I think one of the reasons why they aren't that popular anymore is that their albums are usually only available with such an anemic mix that you think it's bad.

And I think the Eagles are more popular than you realize. At least their hits are to a certain generation. Like, I feel that people my age would know most of their big songs. But to be honest, how many 40-year-old bands remand perpetually popular? Not many.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Why would people slur the Byrds? CSNY wouldn't be the same without "The Byrds."

imo.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I'm not slurring the byrds. I'm reading the 33 1/3 book on the notorious Byrd brothers right now and wanted some opinions.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I have Younger Than Yesterday and 5th Dimension, they're both great.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yeah, but it's hard to explain why some people like some things and others don't. I liked the Eagles up to Hotel California. As mentioned above, people of a certain age are very likely to have the Eagles 1971-75 hits album along with Frampton Comes Alive and Dark Side of the Moon (yes, I have all three).

One of these things is not like the other.

Cemetry Gator posted:

But to be honest, how many 40-year-old bands remand perpetually popular? Not many.

Yeah not many bands from that era are very popular anymore.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

CPL593H posted:

Oh man, I like the Eagles, but yeah, that hits album isn't as amazing as either Frampton Comes Alives or Dark Side of the Moon.
I want in on this fighting meme. I will fight anyone that doesn't like Frampton Comes Alive.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

CPL593H posted:

That's the best part.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
Just found my new spot for vinyl. This one is big.

My first order from sears.com came in with some super mild dings but otherwise flawlessly.

http://entertainment.sears.com/music/dcs?ft=lp+vinyl

The prices across the board are at least 25% off amazon price, but usually averaging 30-40% cheaper. Then, they ship USPS Priority 2 day for an extra .99 cents. .

My first order came in flawlessly. Oh, did I mention that their selection is extremely deep... this is better than the oldies sale. Enjoy goons!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Chim posted:

Just found my new spot for vinyl. This one is big.

My first order from sears.com came in with some super mild dings but otherwise flawlessly.

http://entertainment.sears.com/music/dcs?ft=lp+vinyl

The prices across the board are at least 25% off amazon price, but usually averaging 30-40% cheaper. Then, they ship USPS Priority 2 day for an extra .99 cents. .

My first order came in flawlessly. Oh, did I mention that their selection is extremely deep... this is better than the oldies sale. Enjoy goons!

They have the new Beck album for fifteen bucks. I'm going to have to keep an eye on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

CPL593H posted:

They have the new Beck album for fifteen bucks. I'm going to have to keep an eye on this.

if anyone cares, the Donnie darko ost for 10 dollars is actually an original everloving release. some buried treasures on this site