Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Geop posted:

Yeah, I always figured it to just be based on release date of the game-version itself. I remember the Xenoblade original LP got the go-ahead around the US release, since the EU version had been out for ages before the US got ahold of it :v: Or at least the topic came up.

On an unrelated note, your avatar is perfect for moments like this Geop. Cleansing the LP sub-forum with fire and laughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lambj3
Dec 29, 2012
Overall, I've been pleased with the localization of the first game besides a couple nitpicks. However, I'm at the trial in chapter 2 now and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed that they used the term schizo when discussing DID.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Geop posted:

OHO. What's going on here, Oren? LPing a domestic game before three month rule? :smugdog:

Welp, only one possible result now.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

PAMaster posted:

Welp, only one possible result now.

It just needed Fedule's avatar to be shopped onto the one in the lower-left, and become truly perfect.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

4th Asclepiadean posted:

It just needed Fedule's avatar to be shopped onto the one in the lower-left, and become truly perfect.

They say that ask, and ye shall receive...

PAMaster fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 14, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I resent the implication that we are on the same side as Tumblr.

It is great and you are great.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Did they keep "you've got that wrong?"

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Bean posted:

Did they keep "you've got that wrong?"

"No, you're wrong!"

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Nidai better keep his "YOU FOOL!" or else :mad:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I honestly hope Nidai keeps his obsession with making GBS threads and that NISA can come up with something as great as "BULLETS CANNOT PIERCE SPIRIT!"

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Sod that. I want to see what people who get paid will do with Twilight Syndrome's game over screen.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Fedule posted:

Sod that. I want to see what people who get paid will do with Twilight Syndrome's game over screen.

I'm still amazed that (as far as I can remember) not a single person theorized that DULL START was a code despite how obvious it was in hindsight.

Unfortunately I don't know what else the localizers could do without making it obvious it's a code.

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.

Color Printer posted:

Unfortunately I don't know what else the localizers could do without making it obvious it's a code.

And it's likely that the more iconic/memorable/clever a given localization decision from the LP is, the less likely NISA is going to be to use it, because that begins to encroach on thorny IP rights issues. They are not going to want to look like they're stealing anyone's work, so they're going to use something, anything, else even if they think that oren and Fedule's solution was the best one.

What I'm saying is that the official localization of the Twilight Syndrome game-over screen is going to be inferior and it's not really going to be NISA's fault.

Unfortunately, it just occurred to me that I may also be making a valid argument for discontinuing the LP, which really was not my intention, because I'd like to see it go on. :(

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Chiming in to remind everyone that DULL START was all Oren and I didn't really do anything other than not come up with anything better.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

HelloWinter posted:

"No, you're wrong!"

That's not bad. Nice and short, easy to yell. Though not as much for Komaeda to work with when the time comes... I really hope they do well on his voice.

Ness21
Apr 28, 2013

HelloWinter posted:

"No, you're wrong!"

Actually, no. If you take away the BGM and the SFX in the options you can hear him clearer and what he says is "No, that's wrong!"

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Nidai better keep his "YOU FOOL!" or else :mad:

You've got me thinking Gilbert Gotfried again. Thanks. :(

Honestly, NIS has my money for the second one, and I think we can all thank orenronen and Fedule for making it happen.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

PAMaster posted:

They say that ask, and ye shall receive...

This is glorious. This is so glorious. :allears:
Help, I can't stop laughing

skepsipol
Jan 1, 2013

I was born for this.

lambj3 posted:

Overall, I've been pleased with the localization of the first game besides a couple nitpicks. However, I'm at the trial in chapter 2 now and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed that they used the term schizo when discussing DID.

I had the hardest time figuring that one out. Chapter 3's Hangman's Gambit was much easier by comparison.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Depending on how far away from release this is, this thread might have predated SDR2's US release by...18 months (if it releases in June)? Two years (If it releases in December)?

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Brought To You By posted:

On an unrelated note, your avatar is perfect for moments like this Geop. Cleansing the LP sub-forum with fire and laughter.

But he'll disappoint you when he gives you the Denver Brancos even though he knew that you wanted the Dallas Cowboys.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

LateToTheParty posted:

But he'll disappoint you when he gives you the Denver Brancos even though he knew that you wanted the Dallas Cowboys.

After the Super Bowl, who WOULDN'T be disappointed?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Is SDR2 on the iOS app store? I heard it was, and was looking for it (on the Japanese iOS store) but couldn't find it.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Bean posted:

Is SDR2 on the iOS app store? I heard it was, and was looking for it (on the Japanese iOS store) but couldn't find it.

No, and there's no indication they're remaking it for mobile devices.

The update's going to be a little late this week, and probably shorter than usual. I'll make up for it by making the next one really long.

pidgeon
May 18, 2011

:tinsley:
I don't like how the website says "old high school" instead of Junior High. Sort of implies a transfer rather than a graduation.

Sporkaganza
Feb 19, 2013

I'm bakayuya tomgami

Confused Llama posted:

And it's likely that the more iconic/memorable/clever a given localization decision from the LP is, the less likely NISA is going to be to use it, because that begins to encroach on thorny IP rights issues. They are not going to want to look like they're stealing anyone's work, so they're going to use something, anything, else even if they think that oren and Fedule's solution was the best one.

What I'm saying is that the official localization of the Twilight Syndrome game-over screen is going to be inferior and it's not really going to be NISA's fault.

Unfortunately, it just occurred to me that I may also be making a valid argument for discontinuing the LP, which really was not my intention, because I'd like to see it go on. :(

There's interviews with some members of the NISA localization team around online somewhere where they said they purposely avoided looking at the Let's Play at all. I mean, take that with a grain of salt because of how publicity works and things like that, but if true it could mean they come up with the same thing entirely independently.

CuppaGodot
Sep 25, 2007
Destiny is bitter today

pidgeon posted:

I don't like how the website says "old high school" instead of Junior High. Sort of implies a transfer rather than a graduation.

One of the requirements for admittance in Hope's Peak is you have to already be enrolled in High School according to the prologue.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

CuppaGodot posted:

One of the requirements for admittance in Hope's Peak is you have to already be enrolled in High School according to the prologue.

I always thought that meant you just had to be enrolled, not attending. In Japan middle school students enroll in February (I think?), which is still during the previous school year. So, you could be enrolled in a high school, but still be transferred to Hope's Peak by the first day of the new school year. In which case, saying "old high school" wouldn't really be correct, since they never attended for a single day there.

Coco Bear
Feb 16, 2011

Montegoraon posted:

I always thought that meant you just had to be enrolled, not attending. In Japan middle school students enroll in February (I think?), which is still during the previous school year. So, you could be enrolled in a high school, but still be transferred to Hope's Peak by the first day of the new school year. In which case, saying "old high school" wouldn't really be correct, since they never attended for a single day there.

The English version, at least, says you have to already be attending high school.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Coco Bear posted:

The English version, at least, says you have to already be attending high school.

The cast is what, 16? That's older then junior high age anyways.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Nanami's "two of us are girls" comment has driven me to concoct theories that are far too elaborate, wildly implausible, and unrelated to any case at hand, and thus worthy of utmost consideration. :colbert: What if the game is trying to pull another crossdresser twist on us, except reversed? Kuzuryuu is looking kinda thin and waifish, isn't he? Perhaps enough to be a girl dressing up as a boy in order to net more respect as a crime boss, right? If you're asking me, Nanami is looking more and more like a robot in girl clothes every update. Tendency to space out for periods of time for lack of available CPU cycles, spends all her time around electronics, clearly possesses a small chemical analysis module in her mouth... it's an open and shut case, people.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Anatharon posted:

The cast is what, 16? That's older then junior high age anyways.

16-17, I think. Hagakure's 20, though he got bumped up to 21 in the English tranlsation because of American drinking ages.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

16-17, I think. Hagakure's 20, though he got bumped up to 21 in the English tranlsation because of American drinking ages.

Keep in mind when Hagakure admitted that he was 20, he still thought it was his first year at Hope's Peak, so the first cast is probably about 18-19, with him at about 23.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

another crossdresser

There isn't one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Anatharon posted:

There isn't one.

We know and so does he.

Batu
Nov 10, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

If you're asking me, Nanami is looking more and more like a robot in girl clothes every update. Tendency to space out for periods of time for lack of available CPU cycles, spends all her time around electronics, clearly possesses a small chemical analysis module in her mouth... it's an open and shut case, people.

This is the next Peko standing on her sword.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

We know and so does he.

Consider what you're saying, consider what thread you're in and let me ask you:

But do you really know that he does?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Well, there was a significant amount of chortles in that bullshit entirely legitimate theory, but you bring up a good point. Do I really know there isn't a SHSL Crossdresser in this one, too, given Dangan Ronpa's track record of unpredictable weird poo poo and seeming willingness to recycle characters? I guess I don't. Between this and Virtue's Last Reward, Spike Chunsoft have me well conditioned to be instantly suspicious of everything everyone says.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
From what I gathered, Kuzuryuu had a thing for Pekoyama. We had a crossdresser in the last one, but the crossdresser also being a butch lesbian might be stretching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Well, there was a significant amount of chortles in that bullshit entirely legitimate theory, but you bring up a good point. Do I really know there isn't a SHSL Crossdresser in this one, too, given Dangan Ronpa's track record of unpredictable weird poo poo and seeming willingness to recycle characters? I guess I don't. Between this and Virtue's Last Reward, Spike Chunsoft have me well conditioned to be instantly suspicious of everything everyone says.

Orenonen said there wasn't, I've played the game and said there's not, can we please never have this conversation again?

• Locked thread