Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Tank Abbott ripped off Jericho's gimmick where he'd call Goldberg out every week but Goldberg was on the shelf so he couldn't show up.

I wonder if Goldberg threw a fit over that storyline too, or if he finally understood pro wrestling angles by that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

3-Count was fun. The issue is WWE is chasing "fun" and "putting smiles on people's faces" and that gets us 15 dance gimmicks and nobody out of the main event that seems like they want to fight anybody.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

epitasis posted:

3-Count was fun. The issue is WWE is chasing "fun" and "putting smiles on people's faces" and that gets us 15 dance gimmicks and nobody out of the main event that seems like they want to fight anybody.

I understand what you're saying, but I think you are mixing fun up with retarded bullshit made for slow children.

A bunch of violent rednecks in a crazy cult, that is fun. A man with a wily beard that shouts yes and no at everything and encourages the audience to join in, that is fun. Paul Heyman literally wanting CM Punk dead because he fired him as a manager, that is fun.

Hornswoggle, that is retarded. Nattie farting every time she walks in a room, that is retarded. Those things are not fun. They're just stupid.

I'm just saying the emphasis in wrestling should not be on making sure storylines are all serious and realistic. Again, it's probably a matter of personal taste.

*Edit* As for nobody in the main event wanting to fight anybody, the problem is the characters themselves have to take the story totally serious, even though it is over the top. This is a totally separate problem in WWE. Again, look at Heyman and Punk. The story was totally ridiculous, but everyone involved took it dead serious and it ended up being a lot of fun. Paul Heyman was shouting the kind of things a king in Shakespeare says as he kills his nephew while beating a man with a wooden stick on live television over being fired as a manager.

*Edit Again* Sorry, this is the WCW thread. I was just enjoying the conversation.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 14, 2014

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Hornswoggle, that is retarded.

Oh I dunno, Hornswoggle was fun at first, when Finley was basically using him as a battering ram or javelin vs his opponents.

Obviously I agree that Hornswoggle got really overplayed. But he had his fun moments too.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

triplexpac posted:

Oh I dunno, Hornswoggle was fun at first, when Finley was basically using him as a battering ram or javelin vs his opponents.

Obviously I agree that Hornswoggle got really overplayed. But he had his fun moments too.

Oh yeah, that stuff was fun. I was talking mostly about the post Finley stuff, like literally being the road runner to Carlito's coyote, and being the last cruiserweight champion. I loved heel Finley on Smackdown.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 14, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Oh yeah, that stuff was fun. I was talking mostly about the post Finley stuff, like literally being the road runner to Carlito's coyote, and being the last cruiserweight champion. I loved heel Finley on Smackdown.

I really wish Finlay got a fair shake in WCW. As best I recall, he was the TV champion that Saturn/Booker T/Rick Martel were chasing, right? I don't think he ever moved higher than that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Red posted:

I really wish Finlay got a fair shake in WCW. As best I recall, he was the TV champion that Saturn/Booker T/Rick Martel were chasing, right? I don't think he ever moved higher than that.

He survived the junkyard invitational.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Red posted:

I can't think of a time when Finlay really should have gotten pushed higher than he did. WCW had such a huge, bloated card filled with stars. I know I never really took Finlay seriously at all until his WWE run.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

triplexpac posted:

I can't think of a time when Finlay really should have gotten pushed higher than he did. WCW had such a huge, bloated card filled with stars. I know I never really took Finlay seriously at all until his WWE run.

I feel like he was treated like a job guy for the most part, at least from the parts of WCW I watched.

WWE booked him really, really well, and he did a good job of making Bobby Lashley look like a million bucks.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He was solid midcard. Pretty much exactly Regal's spot, the guy who had the US/TV title and would probably beat anyone below him, but wasn't a real threat to anyone higher.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

He was solid midcard. Pretty much exactly Regal's spot, the guy who had the US/TV title and would probably beat anyone below him, but wasn't a real threat to anyone higher.

Did he ever get to job to Goldberg in the main event?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

bobkatt013 posted:

Pro Wrestling needs to be fun, but also entertaining. It is a fine line and when its too much fun, it gets stupid. When there is too much drama and conflict it goes up its own rear end.

The Shield and 3MB exist on the same roster. Each one has their place. One group just happens to be incredibly silly and its members spend most of their time on their backs.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

I feel like he was treated like a job guy for the most part, at least from the parts of WCW I watched.

WWE booked him really, really well, and he did a good job of making Bobby Lashley look like a million bucks.

He was one slot above a jobber basically right up until he won the TV title. That served to piss the gently caress out of the IWC because they wanted Benoit to win that title, not Finlay. It seemed really out of nowhere, even for me who watched pretty much every WCW show on a weekly basis. I really liked Finlay at that point so I was actually kind of happy, but I wanted Benoit to win that title too. Looking back, yay Finlay, get that gold.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Luigi Thirty posted:

Who would the worst WCW promo be of the people they actually let talk?

Debra/Deborah/whatever/

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I don't think anyone posted Observer quotes for the new back issue, and there's some good one. 3/9/96:

Please watch this movie Dave.

quote:

According to reports we've received, the Marcus Bagwell movie "Day of the Warrior" makes Hogan movies look like Masterpiece Theater. Bagwell plays a character known as "The Supreme Warrior" (I guess that tells you who they wanted for the movie) in a loin cloth and face paint building to a 30 second final fight scene against a Penthouse Playmate who he head-butts in the breast and gets knocked out by and pinned.

quote:

Yuji Nagata, who is a hell of a worker, is scheduled to come to WCW for all of 1997 similar to the Kurosawa deal. This guy is ten times the wrestler Kurosawa is, which, given WCW's track record, means he'll get one-tenth the push.

The whole Nitro review is pretty funny

quote:

Nitro on 12/2 from Dayton, OH drew a sellout of about 3,800 paying $52,383. It was one of the hottest crowds to date on Nitro which is saying something because they didn't give them much to be hot about. Nitro now starts at 7:55 p.m. each week to counter Raw's 7:57 p.m. start. There were a bunch of meaningless squashes on the show with a few exceptions. Glacier returned, basically doing his ring entrance complete with laser show. The ring entrance is cool. Match itself only went 1:00. Arn Anderson did a great interview talking for Roddy Piper saying the Horseman would back-up Piper next week in Charlotte when Piper and Hogan will both be at the live show. Kevin Sullivan did a hilarious interview with this exchange with Gene Okerlund--Kevin: "You've had your problems in the past, Gene." Gene: "You can say that again." Kevin: "You've had your problems in the past, Gene." The rest was the typical stuff saying he was going to bury Chris Benoit alive and continued talking about all that stuff that nobody but he can figure out. Dean Malenko beat Billy Kidman in a cruiserweight title match that wasn't as good as their previous Nitro match some months back as Kidman looked a little rough around the edges. Jeff Jarrett dropkicked the megaphone Big Bubba was holding, so the megaphone hit him in the face. I swear I thought I was going through deja vu seeing them set up and do exactly the same finish with the same two wrestlers as they did just a few weeks back. Thank God the NWO came out at that point to save a really boring show. I don't know what percentage of the insider stuff Scott Hall and Kevin Nash talk about that the average fan can figure out, but it was hilarious. They talked about the go-fer that Roddy Piper takes on the road with him and called him his "Bruti" (in reference to Ed Leslie for Hogan), talked about Jim Powers and Scott Steiner being all jacked up (gym lingo for steroided up), laughed about ECW saying that at least you can play bingo after watching the matches and made some funny references to the Four Horseman being like the Beatles in that they were hot in their day. Eric Bischoff seems like he's having way too much fun but it comes off as a negative to the angle. By the way, they didn't clue anybody in that they were going to take over the show ahead of time and when I say anybody, I mean anybody. Chris Benoit and Steve Regal had a U.S. title tourney match that Benoit won with a dragon suplex. The two worked inhumanly stiff with each other leading to Regal being busted open within a few seconds. It appeared they had a great match but the camera, at the sight of blood, pulled away so it appeared it was shooting from somewhere in New Zealand and for the most part the announcers were telling jokes and not calling anything. They did a Horseman interview sans Woman, and Arn Anderson, Debra and Steve McMichael started complaining to Benoit about Woman and Benoit said she's 100% Horseman, which of course means she isn't. Rocco Rock returned and was racked by Lex Luger. Rick Steiner challenged Sting earlier in the show based on the angle from last week, and had Scott in his corner. Sting came down and within 24 seconds, used the reverse DDT on Rick. He then pulled out a baseball bat, shoved Rick (who Hall & Nash were calling "Robby" which is his real first name), handed him the bat and turned his back on him. Rick was about to hit him with the bat but Scott stopped him. Bischoff, Hall and Nash spent the entire match talking like Sting had joined the NWO, which, of course, means that he hasn't. They were also complimentary to all the wrestlers on the show and talked about wanting guys like Regal, Benoit, Dave Taylor, Luger, Eddie Guerrero, etc. to join the NWO.

I wonder if this inspired Bischoff to negotiate with him or of it was just a coincidence.

quote:

The WCW hotline has talked about Kimona Wanaleia coming in. They also talked about Raven coming in, but that was a 100% work. Gene Okerlund was looking for a name to use because the scam about a wrestler jumping promotions usually does well and hotline business has sagged a great deal of late (down 40% according to one source). So he made up the story and someone else came up with the idea that Raven would be a good name to use.

quote:

Speaking of Bischoff having too much fun, this was from the 11/24 Charleston Post-Courier, regarding Bischoff being told that Vince McMahon didn't remember him from a 1990 job interview where McMahon interviewed Bischoff for an announcing position. "In June of 1990 I was down there for an interview and audition and talked to Vince for probably half an hour. If he doesn't remember it, perhaps he was engaged in some of his admitted chemical activity during that time. But I was there. He was there." In the same article Bischoff said, "The nonsense and perception of reality that Vince McMahon, a guy who has admitted using steroids to try to beef up what was otherwise a scrawny, frail little individual, I think when he wakes up in the morning, he looks in the mirror and still sees that 80-pound birdface punk that nobody wanted to play with, and he has to deal with that every day. And the way he's trying to deal with is trying to create this perception. And I just hope people are smart enough to see through this nonsense and deal with reality." As if the lawyers aren't busy enough as it is.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Steroid Vince or Cocaine Eric.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

He was one slot above a jobber basically right up until he won the TV title. That served to piss the gently caress out of the IWC because they wanted Benoit to win that title, not Finlay. It seemed really out of nowhere, even for me who watched pretty much every WCW show on a weekly basis. I really liked Finlay at that point so I was actually kind of happy, but I wanted Benoit to win that title too. Looking back, yay Finlay, get that gold.

YES! I remember this now. A ton of the guys on my dorm floor were "WTF" about Finlay getting the belt. I'd forgotten Benoit was chasing that belt, too.

It's almost like someone or something is trying to make me forget him.

The Benoit and Malenko team were similarly jerked around.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Red posted:

They had awesome matches with Henning and Barry Windham. :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

YES! I remember this now. A ton of the guys on my dorm floor were "WTF" about Finlay getting the belt. I'd forgotten Benoit was chasing that belt, too.

It's almost like someone or something is trying to make me forget him.

Benoit/Malenko were at least getting the belts the next month, with the TV title Benoit only got it for a house show to house show reign. It'd be kind of like today if a few months ago when Big E was about to win the IC title, Justin Gabriel won it on Raw. "Justin Gabriel's good and all... but, why is he winning it over Big E?" Not that Big E is the next Benoit, since we know he's an even better wrestler but not as much of a murderer.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Benoit/Malenko were at least getting the belts the next month, with the TV title Benoit only got it for a house show to house show reign. It'd be kind of like today if a few months ago when Big E was about to win the IC title, Justin Gabriel won it on Raw. "Justin Gabriel's good and all... but, why is he winning it over Big E?" Not that Big E is the next Benoit, since we know he's an even better wrestler but not as much of a murderer.

Speaking of the TV title situation, it was really sad to see Rick Martel get retired by a freak accident on the ropes. His leg was severely hosed up by that injury - I hope he gets around okay nowadays. I wonder what WCW had planned for him?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Martel supposed to have a feud with Booker T over the TV belt where little by little Martel would display heelish tendencies while Booker T kept winning, eventually leading to Martel snapping and turning?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Everyone talks about "Day of the Warrior" being some obscure cult film but if you had Showtime or The Movie Channel in the 90s you were gonna see that movie, like it or not. And I liked it.

Plus the sequel was even better.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

oldpainless posted:

Everyone talks about "Day of the Warrior" being some obscure cult film but if you had Showtime or The Movie Channel in the 90s you were gonna see that movie, like it or not. And I liked it.

Plus the sequel was even better.

Further proof that Buff is the stuff.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rodney the Piper posted:

Wasn't Martel supposed to have a feud with Booker T over the TV belt where little by little Martel would display heelish tendencies while Booker T kept winning, eventually leading to Martel snapping and turning?

That sounds fun. If nothing else, I'm sure he could've made Booker and Benoit look great.

I liked Martel so much in AWA, and even loved his goofy heel persona in the WWF. I really dug his short-lived comeback.

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

I've spent so much time clopping to fillies that my joints have locked up!
Rick Steiner was the worst WCW promo. Here, let me recap every Rick Steiner promo for those of you who forgot:

"WOOF WOOF WOOF DON'T SING IT, BRING IT WOOF WOOF IF YOU DON'T LIKE ME, BITE ME WOOF WOOF WOOF".

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The Model was an amazing gimmick. I still laugh thinking about his promos during the Jake Roberts blinding angle.

"Jake, at the Rumble 29 other men are going to draw their numbers. Not you, you can't read your number."

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I remember that article about Bischoff and his thoughts on McMahon. At the time I thought it was just sour grapes, but hindsight and all that, it turns out Bischoff might've been spot on.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

A man with a wily beard that shouts yes and no at everything and encourages the audience to join in, that is fun.
I think this guy just defended The Zodiac.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Eric Bischoff might be the most unlikable human being in wrestling history

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

oatgan posted:

He is not even in the top 25.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

oatgan posted:

Buck Zumhofe is one of many more unlikable human beings in wrestling history

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It'd be a fine statement if he followed it up by being like "non-rapist division".

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It'd be a fine statement if he followed it up by being like "non-rapist division".

Still a hard sell for the #25 position.

You have to take all the various felons and maybe the people who should be felons. Then we'll talk in the top twenty-five-ish range.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I should clarify a general non-criminal kind of unlikable. He is insufferable in every way and nothing will ever get him down because it's literally everyone's fault but his.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

oatgan posted:

I should clarify a general non-criminal kind of unlikable. He is insufferable in every way and nothing will ever get him down because it's literally everyone's fault but his.

:russo:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Vince Russo doesn't have that kind of bombastic confident smarm that Bischoff brings to the table like some kind of gameshow host from the 8th circle of hell.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There are people who report that they are friends with Russo and think he's great when divorced from wrestling.

Eric Bischoff's only friend is Hulk Hogan. Who knows if they are actually friends.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Excuse me, Bischoff is friends with Wayne Arnold.

Which is probably a bad sign.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Considering the Gold Club allegations, Bischoff wouldn't qualify for that particular division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Finlay angle was really good actually. The announcers kept building up Benoit/Booker, when all of a sudden Finlay defeated Booker for the title I'm a Reebok nitro match. Benoit considered himself number one contender and fought Finlay, but Finlay successfully defended. Then they had a best of seven to determine who would get to face Finlay at the ppv. Meanwhile Finlay defended continuously, putting on good matches against other mid cards for a few weeks.

In the last best of seven match there was a double disqualification or something, so JJ said they had to redo their last match at the ppv and face Finlay the same night. They had awesome matches and Finlay lost it in the end, but had gone from random jobber to actually being over as a good wrestler, while Benoit and BookerT both got over as gently caress.

I want to say there was maybe even NwO shenanigans at some point where Finlay rescued Booker or Benoit.

Of course no one will ever see this angle again because Benoit went crazy from brain damage and killed his family, do they don't really show anything with him in it.