Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ratatozsk posted:

And make your wallpaper a pic of a stovetop coil to hold against your face each time a call comes in. :v:

It will be done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
Without my suggestion, two of my co-workers started watching The Shield. One is just cracking into the 3rd season, while the other one is probably on the 4th episode. I find it really difficult to not spoil it for them, but they keep asking me about certain, pivotal events. And, I work with these cats for my entire 12 hour shift. Can't wait until they hit all the story-altering moments in succession, cause then I'll have something common to share with them.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Getting people into this show owns

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Conquistador posted:

Getting people into this show owns

Yea its a good show to recommend because unlike 99.99% of other shows, there's no disclaimer you have to give about when the show starts to suck. Even The Wire you have to tell people a bunch of stuff like if you're bored with the first few episodes then keep going, or that the final season isn't as great as the rest. The Shield just intensifies and doesn't let up, and its got the most satisfying final season of any show I've ever seen.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Finally get to see this show after remembering I had amazon prime. Great to hear that it gets even better as the series goes on. Sucks that I pretty much know how it ends, but looking forward to the ride

edit: Wow season 2 is amazing so far. Only bad thing about his show is the music...which is just terrible

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 12, 2014

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Your opinion regarding the music is wrong

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Sorry I didn't find this thread until after my first DVD watch through. It means that you missed out on the vicarious joys of my discoveries and I did the dumb thing and binge watched the whole thing. I caught a little of season three and four when it was free to air in Australia and then wanted to catch up at some point. I bought season one and then immediately bought season two and then immediately bought seasons three through seven :). I'm now on a slow watch through and have just hit season five.

On my binge watch through I thought season three was the weakest but on a second trip I'm reasonably sure it was because I wasn't paying enough attention. Either that or so much is foreshadowed in season three that it makes it the necessary background for what comes later.

The only thing that stands between me declaring this a masterpiece is the large number of plot holes, deux machina and obvious continuity errors. I'll list them sometime on a future rewatch.

I have heard a lot of trash talk about Cathy Cahlin Ryan, the actress that played Corrine, and her acting chops. There is certainly something off about the final package (that is Corrine) but I'm not sure you can lay the blame at her feet. Perhaps a stronger actress would have filled in the gaps in the writing, or taken direction better. On the whole the character was badly written with no clear indication of her motivations, if any. As a counter point to the 'cast your friends and gently caress up' thesis, David Rees Snell has enormous presence as Ronnie even when he was just wall paper.

The other female that gets a caning seems to be Michele Hicks, the actress that played Mara. In a way Mara is the perfect foil for Cletus Van Damme. It is a tribute to her acting ability that she is so harshly commented on. She is the Lady Macbeth. She poisons Shane's relationship with Vic from their first meeting. Once the verbal gloves come off in the season three finale everything Shane dumps on Vic was fed to him by Mara. What kind of a person steals seven grand from their lover and gives it to their alcoholic mother? Maybe Mara's kids didn't deserve the family meeting, but she earned every bit of it.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
I was picking up some CDRs at best but and saw they had the complete series on DVD for $29. Grabbed it and am getting prepared for a rewatch in the near future.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
I never liked Mara, but I thought Michele Hicks did a great job at making me hate her character. I think your analysis is right on, Cartoon. As for Corrine, I agree that the main problem with her was the writing, not the acting. She was one of the few mistakes The Shield writers made, for the reasons you mentioned.

Action Serious posted:

I was picking up some CDRs at best but and saw they had the complete series on DVD for $29. Grabbed it and am getting prepared for a rewatch in the near future.

I think I'm going to have to stop by my local Best Buy tomorrow. Hell, if they have it on sale for twice that price I would buy it. As much as I want the Blu-ray set, that's a great loving deal, and I've been thinking about doing a full re-watch lately.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Quick question: which episode is the one where a complete stranger wanders into the police house, accosts Dutch and throws his pencils on the ground? It's one of my favourite scenes on the show, and I wanted to watch that episode again.

(I'm also curious as to what y'all thought about it. Like I said, it's one of my favourite scenes, but it involves a random-rear end stranger giving a grandstanding speech in a way that's completely disconnected to the rest of the episode, so I can see why a lot of people would think it blew chunks).

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Quick question: which episode is the one where a complete stranger wanders into the police house, accosts Dutch and throws his pencils on the ground? It's one of my favourite scenes on the show, and I wanted to watch that episode again.

Episode 7 "pay in pain"

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
drat Tavon owns. Pretty sure something terrible is going to happen to him though.

Also watching this and starting Justified at the same time is pretty funny concerning Goggins

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
yeah...don't do that. Save Justified for post-Shield relief. Sons of Anarchy isn't the successor it wanted to be.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

the_american_dream posted:

drat Tavon owns. Pretty sure something terrible is going to happen to him though.

Also watching this and starting Justified at the same time is pretty funny concerning Goggins

You should see him on Sons of Anarchy (don't)

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Hahahaha

Dead Snoopy posted:

yeah...don't do that. Save Justified for post-Shield relief. Sons of Anarchy isn't the successor it wanted to be.

Yea I was planning on Anarchy after Shield and Justified but the more I hear about it I'm scared I'll have a Dexter situation on my hands :smith:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hahahaha

Yea I was planning on Anarchy after Shield and Justified but the more I hear about it I'm scared I'll have a Dexter situation on my hands :smith:

What is your opinion of rape, soundtrack based on nepotism, rape, buttrock, rape, and browalking?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
About what I'd expect from a show about a motorcycle gang honestly

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

...but the more I hear about it I'm scared I'll have a Dexter situation on my hands :smith:

Yes.

There's only like 10 minutes of season five even worth watching and thats the Goggins cameo as Venus Van Damme, and thats what youtube is made for.

By the time you get to season 4 or 5 (i dont know it runs together) the Sons are being used by the CIA as middlemen trading Cartel drugs for IRA guns, in order to keep a RICO from sending them to jail. Maybe that sound like something so bad its actually good, but please trust me, its not. Its just bad and only goes downhill from there.

bobkatt013 posted:

What is your opinion of rape, soundtrack based on nepotism, rape, buttrock, rape, and browalking?

Ugh. How about a trigger warning, jerk?

You just forced me to relive those Katey Sagal songs after having repressing them for so long. Oh god I just remembered House of the Rising Sun "charming town" cover.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
.....Yea just gonna go ahead and remove that from queue. Thanks for the warning yikes

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Watch SoA S1-2

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Conquistador posted:

Watch SoA S1-2

SoA was God awful. Telling people to watch it after The Shield, giving them hope it could be anywhere near as good is just cruel. :colbert:

Maybe it's easier to watch if you're American. Didn't the opening have Biker tattoos turning into American flags and bald eagles and poo poo? Jesus.

Then the actual show starts and the Biker dude is all 'This was never meant to be a criminal gang, it was a kind of 'social club' to better AMERICA' or some other nonsense that reminded me a lot of Antwon Mitchel. Remember when he was running a 'social club' that was 'totally not a gang' and it was made clear that this was total horseshit excuse nonsense. It's basically that except it's genuinely trying to act like biker gangs aren't just as bad as gangbangers. I mean I just couldn't get over it, it felt like a huge contradiction or at least an unfortunate implication... You know, black gangsters saying 'it's just a lifestyle, it doesn't mean we have to be criminals' and it was almost played for laughs, but this show expects me to take it seriously because this time it's white guys?

And I'm usually against the social justice knee-jerk reaction, but all that kept going through my head while I watched SoA was 'This show feels a little racist', but maybe that's because I was expecting too much coming in hot from The Shield.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Cartoon posted:

On my binge watch through I thought season three was the weakest but on a second trip I'm reasonably sure it was because I wasn't paying enough attention. Either that or so much is foreshadowed in season three that it makes it the necessary background for what comes later.

Read this right before I started 3 today and my expectations were lowered, but if this is the weakest season I may binge this poo poo all weekend. Sorry wife, gently caress a valentines day

:siren:GUN FELLATIO:siren:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The issue with Sons of Anarchy for me was it came right after the shield. I was seriously still too drained to try to get invested in a show. Also from what I've heard after the first season it just went way to loving stupid.

I didn't "like" Mara but I thought she Michele Hicks and Goggins both should have nominated for Emmy's that last season. They did amazing jobs. I think from a pure acting standpoint Michele Hicks was amazing simply because she starts out as a character that we're immediately supposed to not like. And most people did not like her but by the final season I think only a monster would not find her empathetic. The scene where Shane is trying to rob that (I think it was this) payroll place/her old office and he can't open the safe and Mara has open it. All the while one of the people they're holding up has to hold the baby. Its just loving heart breaking how pathetic things have gotten. Then of course she's hurt after the botched robbery...and then of course the ultimate ending. You can't not feel bad for her. It's also admirable in the self sacrificing way that she intends to basically Bonnie and Clyde her way to the end with Shane. I do think her performance gets lost in a sea of good performances of this show.

I think that The Shield admirably has strong female characters that can stand on their own even in the same world where the Strike Team is loving women left and right and women being treated like objects. It is also a crime that CCH Pounder never won any hardware. Her performance in the final season is loving great. I can't help but laugh when I think about her reaction in the last season.

GO ON!!! YAH HEARD!!!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I still think that one of the best scenes is the Vic's final confession and everyone's response to it.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 17, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Might wanna spoil that, bud.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

:siren:GUN/BONG/ACAVEDA FELLATIO:siren:

:stare:

Also starting to wonder if I was mistaken on what I read about Shane ending up the most sympathetic. Four seasons to go, but he's the most unlikable rear end in a top hat in a show full of assholes

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 15, 2014

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

:stare:

Also starting to wonder if I was mistaken on what I read about Shane ending up the most sympathetic. Four seasons to go, but he's the most unlikable rear end in a top hat in a show full of assholes

It gets worse before it gets better.... er, no... it just keeps getting worse

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I find him quite sympathetic when you realize he likely would've never gone down that path without Vic's influence. Doesn't exonerate him, of course.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The only sympathetic character in whole show I can think of off the top of my head is Tavon. And I guess the cat.

Also, I just saw that dungeon siege movie or whatever its called and Tavon plays like a wizard or some poo poo in it hahah.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I never understood some fans hardline take on Vic. He's obviously extremely compelling but I was pretty much disgusted with him by the end of Season 5. He's full of self righteousness and pretty loving despicable. I mean you're obviously supposed to be torn on his behavior and I'd be lying if I didn't laugh and enjoy his antics. But by the end of season 5 it becomes clear how loving awful he is. I found him despicable in a way that I enjoyed seeing what holes he would dig himself.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

soggybagel posted:

I never understood some fans hardline take on Vic. He's obviously extremely compelling but I was pretty much disgusted with him by the end of Season 5. He's full of self righteousness and pretty loving despicable. I mean you're obviously supposed to be torn on his behavior and I'd be lying if I didn't laugh and enjoy his antics. But by the end of season 5 it becomes clear how loving awful he is. I found him despicable in a way that I enjoyed seeing what holes he would dig himself.

I would say that he was pretty awful at the end of the first episode.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Well yeah. But you're clearly meant to see him as the hero none the less. They don't really start turning different gears on him until the end of the 2nd season.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I didn't read the spoiler since Vics complete heel turn is one of the few things I'm not spoiled on but yea I don't know if it's that the show is 12 years old so we're used to things Vic does in other cop shows but outside of the first episode I was thinking "huh I thought this guy was supposed to be a lot worse than this"

Also season 3 for the love of everything gently caress off Mara and Shane

Edit: what is um... what's going on there Dutch? :stare:

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 18, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I didn't read the spoiler since Vics complete heel turn is one of the few things I'm not spoiled on but yea I don't know if it's that the show is 12 years old so we're used to things Vic does in other cop shows but outside of the first episode I was thinking "huh I thought this guy was supposed to be a lot worse than this"

Also season 3 for the love of everything gently caress off Mara and Shane

Edit: what is um... what's going on there Dutch? :stare:

The overabundance of horrible assholes on TV certainly makes Vic look a bit... less worse, relatively speaking. But still, if you keep in mind he's supposed to be "protecting and serving" instead of whatever he's doing and look at least slightly realistically, he comes off pretty terribly. And it gets worse after S3.

Also, you mean :catstare: right?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Vic isn't the type of character that's driven by mustache twirling evil or anything. Even the most terrible things Vic does are always motivated from a pursuit of the greater good or justice.... in his eyes.

Good cop and bad cop left for the day. He's what you might call.... a different kind of cop. One that starts out planting evidence to put away bad people who the system can't touch, then starts controlling the drugs to keep the violence down and yeah okay take a bit on the side because he--no wait his family--deserve it more than some drug dealer does, and so on until we're at the start of the series (the pilot actually) where Vic finds out he's been putting his trust and even LIFE into the hands of some punk looking to climb the ladder by undoing all HIS convictions and work, put away his TEAM, take him away from his FAMILY? And all because he found a way to what? Actually make the streets SAFER? And a bullet is the only thing standing between this judas gently caress and losing everything he's built? There's not even a choice, besides you cant kill a snitch cop cause a snitchin cop isnt a real cop.

And every time Vic gets a little bit better at wiping away the evidence of that old "line" and drawing a new one a little bit further down, never having to "cross the line" because everything before was somehow about the better good. And when its not? Well that just means he hasn't found a way to rationalize it yet. So many others get hypnotized by Vic's charisma and deceptions in the show (himself most of all) that its easy to lose sight of how easily the audience can get sucked into his world and start rooting for him again even if they wanted him busted just an episode earlier.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Vic isn't the type of character that's driven by mustache twirling evil or anything. Even the most terrible things Vic does are always motivated from a pursuit of the greater good or justice.... in his eyes.

Good cop and bad cop left for the day. He's what you might call.... a different kind of cop. One that starts out planting evidence to put away bad people who the system can't touch, then starts controlling the drugs to keep the violence down and yeah okay take a bit on the side because he--no wait his family--deserve it more than some drug dealer does, and so on until we're at the start of the series (the pilot actually) where Vic finds out he's been putting his trust and even LIFE into the hands of some punk looking to climb the ladder by undoing all HIS convictions and work, put away his TEAM, take him away from his FAMILY? And all because he found a way to what? Actually make the streets SAFER? And a bullet is the only thing standing between this judas gently caress and losing everything he's built? There's not even a choice, besides you cant kill a snitch cop cause a snitchin cop isnt a real cop.

And every time Vic gets a little bit better at wiping away the evidence of that old "line" and drawing a new one a little bit further down, never having to "cross the line" because everything before was somehow about the better good. And when its not? Well that just means he hasn't found a way to rationalize it yet. So many others get hypnotized by Vic's charisma and deceptions in the show (himself most of all) that its easy to lose sight of how easily the audience can get sucked into his world and start rooting for him again even if they wanted him busted just an episode earlier.

This is why I describe this show as " a test run for Breaking Bad" when I try to get new people to watch it.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Season 3 was pretty good and like someone said earlier I can see this season being the jump off point for the rest of the series.

Dutch is a really interesting character to me. I don't particularly like him but he's a good detective with a really odd personality. Just wonder how his story plays out probably more than anyone else's

Edit: RESPECT :mad:

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 19, 2014

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Holy poo poo! I just scored the DVD box set at Best Buy for 24.99, minus a 20 dollar gift card. So I basically paid 5 bucks for the entire series. I am so loving happy right now. Thank you Action Serious for the heads up.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
There goes your social life (if any).

On Season Six of my second run though and if you have the DVDs The Shield is unbingewatchstopable. This is both kinda sad because you miss so much nuiance but a vindication of the entire lack of self control during watch through one.

Season Six, like season Three, sets up so much and covers so much ground that it really isn't a disappointment to me in anyway. Not every season can end like season five and seven. Watch season six again if you aren't convinced.

I know I'm going against the flow here (and I love him as a character) but Dutch is pretty much a creeper. Billings just laid it all out in an episode and it is pretty yuck.

The whole underage sex theme is pretty consistent right through the whole series. I don't know whether this something to be highly critical of or just a reflection of the material dealt with.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Cartoon posted:

There goes your social life (if any).

Yeah, you're not kidding. Between this, two more seasons of Deadwood, and three days off, I will get absolutely nothing productive done in the foreseeable future.

I'm watching the pilot right now, and it's drumming up fond memories of last summer. I totally forgot about Ronnie's sweet 'stache in season 1.

• Locked thread