Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Cygni posted:

Unless shes getting sponsored by Nestle or something, looks like Simona won't be in an IndyCar.

I really hope she lands somewhere interesting, and not FR3.5 or god knows what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

CactusWeasle posted:

I really hope she lands somewhere interesting, and not FR3.5 or god knows what.

Formula E

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I'd give Simona a ride.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

gret posted:

I'd give Simona a ride.

I don't think she wants to drive in one of the smaller series.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

:drat:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

George Zimmer posted:

I don't think she wants to drive in one of the smaller series.

:eyepop:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

:golfclap:

Seriously though, if she's not back in Indycar I really hope she does well wherever she ends up.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007
Graham has the new Guard car on his Twitter feed.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

drat somebody call the Holmatro Safety Team. On second thought maybe not...

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rC_pAavdNA
Quick video of JPM practicing a standing start.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

AceFace905 posted:

Graham has the new Guard car on his Twitter feed.

Like it.

Wish Graham would have seriously pushed to run this car though.

https://twitter.com/GrahamRahal/status/345266929038155776/photo/1

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

Unless shes getting sponsored by Nestle or something, looks like Simona won't be in an IndyCar.

But at least she has plans, I wonder if there's a sportscar program.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Stolen from the F1 thread, but possible good signs for Simona in the future.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/02/14/sauber-helping-de-silvestro-towards-2015-race-seat/

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

To be honest I don't think she's good enough.

But then Susie was hitting times in testing that would have made her credible and Simona is probably better than her so maybe...

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Oh great, instead of being stuck in a bad IndyCar ride she can be stuck in a bad F1 ride instead.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
she should just get a Truck seat

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
ugh now i'm gonna have to watch F1 beyond Australia, Austin, Spa, and New Jersey.

good luck simona :unsmith:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

devmd01 posted:

ugh now i'm gonna have to watch F1 beyond Australia, Austin, Spa, and New Jersey.

good luck simona :unsmith:

Agreed. At least she won't have to race on anymore ovals because she's not very good at them :colbert:

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

freeranger posted:

Stolen from the F1 thread, but possible good signs for Simona in the future.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/02/14/sauber-helping-de-silvestro-towards-2015-race-seat/

I found it quite random that this was mentioned on BBC Radio 5 live news without any context as to who Simona was.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I'm still not watching F1, gently caress that.

e: this is the end of her career. She wont get a race seat. Some random Russian or Mexican will appear with a large cheque and that's the end of that.

CactusWeasle fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 14, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The sad thing is, even being a test driver for a year or two with Sauber will net her more money than an entire lifelong career in IndyCar would.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I'm going to miss Simona. :(

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

I'm still not watching F1, gently caress that.

e: this is the end of her career. She wont get a race seat. Some random Russian or Mexican will appear with a large cheque and that's the end of that.
Actually I'm thinking one of two things:

A--the opposite happens, and her salary is basically paid either by Carlos Slim (Gutierrez) or Russian petrodollars (Sirotkin)
or
B--a new sponsor wants to hop on the bandwagon of having the first female on a Formula One grid since Lella Lombardi and plasters whatever on the sidepods to make it happen (with or without Carlos Slim or Russian petrodollars)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gret posted:

I'm going to miss Simona. :(

Pretty much this. I wish her future (at least, the immediate one) was in a better ICS ride but it's clear that isn't a reality right now, and continuing to grind away on the KV B-car is not going to help her.

Best I can hope for is that she does actually get the race seat in 2015.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

She's already got the F1 driver-speak down pat. During her interview with Racer magazine she dropped "for sure" into each answer she gave. :D

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Guys, we're not allowed to talk about F1 in the Indycar thread anymore. Simona is verboten to us now.

Forever.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
May aswell gas it now :v:

edit: I'm only kind-of joking.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Awwww. :smith:

Not sure what a consistant Indycar midpacker is really gonna do in F1, especially in a Sauber, but I can't say I blame her for making that choice. Still sucks to lose her, though.

The Article posted:

with the goal to gain her super licence 

If she had ever placed in the top five in Indycar points she'd already have one.

...which just made me realize that Marco Andretti and Danica Patrick have (or at least are eligible for) an FIA super license, while Simona isn't. (yet) What a world.

Edit: According to Wikipedia it's top four, not top five, so maybe this world isn't quite as crazy as I thought.

Theris fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 14, 2014

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

Theris posted:

Awwww. :smith:

Not sure what a consistant Indycar midpacker is really gonna do in F1, especially in a Sauber, but I can't say I blame her for making that choice. Still sucks to lose her, though.

If she had ever placed in the top five in Indycar points she'd already have one.

...which just made me realize that Marco Andretti and Danica Patrick have (or at least are eligible for) an FIA super license, while Simona isn't. (yet) What a world.

Edit: According to Wikipedia it's top four, not top five, so maybe this world isn't quite as crazy as I thought.
Tony DiZinno had a really good retrospective on Simona's time in Indycars.

Tony DiZinno posted:

In summation, then, 65 starts, three top-fives, and 14 top-10 finishes, a best start of third at St. Pete this year and a couple fastest race laps. Not great numbers on paper, but toss out the 15 starts from 2012 with the hapless Lotus sled in her car and you see she did overachieve at a rather good level given the equipment at her disposal.

Ultimately though, 13th in the final standings – as she was this year – was probably as good as it was going to get given her career struggles on ovals. She made strides, but with the field as deep as it is, it was the final mountain to hurdle. Even her best oval finish, eighth at the IndyCar season finale in Fontana, came after being caught up in an accident and merely surviving the high attrition rate. Her road and street course prowess, however, was very much evident.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I'm surprised he didn't mention the Brazil race in the monsoon. Going just by memory she got caught up in a wreck at the start, then after her car was fixed during the red she set some absurd number of fastest race laps. (like 7 of the top ten were all her) With the rain to make up for her lovely equipment she was amazing.

But that was before the wrecks at Texas, Indy, and Milwaukee sapped her confidence on ovals, and I think a little bit on roads, too. I never really caught any more "holy poo poo she could be something special" flashes of talent after those like she showed at Brazil. But that guy's right that she still overachived in terrible cars.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
She's pretty good for a chick, but she's just like countless other midpackers throughout history. Qualifying for Indy with burned hands will be the memory I keep of her, and that's about it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

F1 test seats are a complete dead end, but happy she found some cash to at least do something next year.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

F1 test seats are a complete dead end, but happy she found some cash to at least do something next year.

Yeah. Many F3000 champions ended their careers in those seats.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://translate.google.com/transla...-111832341.html

We have our first "International Series" race rumor, fellow Indygoons.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What does that even mean? To the best of my understanding they'll run a race in Rio at the end of the year?

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

LordPants posted:

What does that even mean? To the best of my understanding they'll run a race in Rio at the end of the year?
I think it's saying they may end up doing a late-season race in Brasilia or Rio de Janiero. And something about a breach of contract suit against the broadcasters by Indycar? That was a very Babelfish translation.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

AceFace905 posted:

I think it's saying they may end up doing a late-season race in Brasilia or Rio de Janiero. And something about a breach of contract suit against the broadcasters by Indycar? That was a very Babelfish translation.

It was from Indy44, who ran it on a translater.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

There was a lawsuit filed against the promoters of the Brazil race for breech of contract. This might be a way out of the lawsuit.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

My bad if this has already been posted, but GRID 2 and DLC are on sale: http://store.steampowered.com/app/44350/

GRID 2 and the IndyCar Pack DLC (IMS and the DW12) come out to $12.56 USD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Minto Took posted:

My bad if this has already been posted, but GRID 2 and DLC are on sale: http://store.steampowered.com/app/44350/

GRID 2 and the IndyCar Pack DLC (IMS and the DW12) come out to $12.56 USD.

May get the DLC if it's worth it on PS3 since PS+ gave GRID 2 out for free.

• Locked thread